Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
Question about Sodium

So... since I have been tracking all my nutrition per my New Year's Resolution my darn program keeps telling me my Sodium is too high I really don't "salt" anything except the occasional frozen diet entree, it's the Chicken and Beef Bouillon that's killing me.

My question is, since I drink ATLEAST 8-10 glasses of water a day, and drink atleast 5-6 cups of tea per day, does it flush out??? Or once you put the sodium in is it just plain BAD??? I have cut drinking broth a LOT and I miss it! Very fulfilling for me.

What say ye JUDDD BUDDD's???

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I don't worry about sodium or think of it as bad for me. If you follow a low carb diet (as I do), you need to eat more sodium than if you eat a high carb diet. Gary Taubes has an interesting piece suggesting that the evidence for low sodium is weak and that most people around the world seem to eat around 1.5 teaspoons of salt per day. For a subset of people with high blood pressure, low sodium may be helpful, but not for most people. Also, the highest sodium levels probably come from processed foods (things like colas and butterscotch pudding, surprisingly); if you don't eat a lot of processed foods, I wouldn't worry about it. And I think the benefits of broth outweigh the risks of sodium intake. Google "The (Political) Science of Salt Gary Taubes" if you want to read his take on the weak evidence against salt.

An alternative to giving up broth is to buy the canned or packaged broth (Swanson or the Pacific organic kind) rather than using boullion cubes. I think it tastes better, anyway, and it isn't as high sodium as making broth from the cubes. Or make your own broth from bones simmered on the stove or in a crockpot with a little acid (apple cider vinegar or lemon juice) and filtered water, which has wonderful health benefits.

Last edited by svenskamae; 02-22-2013 at 11:42 PM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I personally need salt to stave off symptoms of low blood pressure. I would think you are probably OK unless you have been told that your blood pressure is high or borderline high.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I've also read several things lately that indicate sodium isn't nearly as bad as we've been led to believe. I put salt on just about everything and have no problem. I'm thinking if you haven't noticed any negatives and you don't have any medical issues precluding sodium, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm always way over the "guidelines" for sodium consumption. My bloodpressure is low and I rarely retain water. When I do, it seems more from lack of fluid intake, or more sugar than normal.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
I'm another who takes in WAY more sodium than is "recommended." My blood pressure is slightly low, and since I've no complications from it, my doc told me to not worry about it. That being said, I recently cut down quite a bit on my sodium intake because I thought I *should* and now I am retaining a lot of water (despite everything else being the same).

I do think, however, that since cutting my sodium intake that my muscles are less stiff upon awakening and require less of a warm up before working out. Could be related, maybe not, just throwing the observation out there in case anyone else has experienced the same....
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
For many years I restricted salt and had water retention issues. Since I have started drinking sea salt in my drinking water and using salt on my cold boiled potatoes, no more swollen feet and hands. Now the occasional salt binge doesn't make me gain 5 pounds of water weight overnight.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Like Dawn & Adi, I too eat a lot of salt. Not sure the sodium content of my food but I salt the ever living heck out of everything and also eat salt plain.
We had a bit of a discussion about salt and our excessive enjoyment of it in the "Lemon juice thread" I bumped a few days ago. I'll try to find it and link to it for you to review.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Here you go:
Lemon water, JUDDD and weight loss

Our more recent discussion starts at post #42 but I personally think the whole thing is worth a read.

FWIW, I also have very low BP. Low, as in, usually they take it 2-3 times at the appointment because they're not sure how I can be upright with a BP that low and so clearly it must be a machine malfunction.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
I've always been told that my BP is good and is very low. Never been told I have "low blood pressure"
Thanks for all the feedback! I won't worry so much as I haven't noticed being bloated or anything. Thanks for the lemon thread. I'll take a look.
Now maybe I can figure out a way to turn the "high sodium" warning in my program.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote