Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Fun Fruit and Veggie One Week Challenge for JUDDDers

Alright, so, many of us are having trouble with our Up Days. There has been much gnashing of teeth and I have been one of snappiest gnashers. Consequently, I'm going to try to make this experimentation fun.

My rule for the coming week of Up Days? I'm not going to howl and wail if my calories go over. I'm not going to flip out if my carbs are high or if my food mostly comes from boxes or the microwave. The prime directive for the week is simple: Every time I eat, whether it's a meal or a snack, must involve some sort of fruit or vegetable.

Ketchup and condiments do not count. Starches like potatoes and corn and beans do not count.

If I'm making an omelette for breakfast, there had better be some broccoli or spinach in that omelette. If I'm eating steak and potatoes, there had better be some asparagus on the side. If I'm eating chili, there had better be some actual peppers in there. Or maybe chopped celery. Strive for five, people!

I want to see all the inventive ways that I can add more low calorie healthy veggie bulk to my meals and see if that makes any difference in keeping my Up Days under control. It's just for one week, so who is with me?

Last edited by stephdray; 02-20-2013 at 09:30 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
I was watching the show the doctors today and they were showing ways of doing things low calorie for everyday and I was thinking of trying a few of the ideas on UDs to help not to go way over my calories. One idea was Tuna boats. You slice a cucumber in half and hollow it. You make tuna salad minus the mayo using mustard instead. Cuts a lot of calories cause of the no mayo no bread thing. Same thing with deviled eggs instead of mayo using a tiny bit of avocado. Another thing they did was chocolates covered grapes. At first I was like ewwwweee but I started thinking maybe just trying it once. You freeze the grapes and drizzle melted dark chocolate on them. You let the grapes thaw while the chocolate sets. Way better than sweets for you.

I got to thinking the whole changing this for that might be worth a try.

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!

Last edited by krow134; 02-20-2013 at 10:02 PM..
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I don't want to do anything on an Up Day that makes me feel like I'm not eating good foods or what I want or depriving myself. I just want to add more veggies and fruits to what I'm already wanting to eat in inventive ways

These are some good tips though for people who think this is delicious. Also, it's just one week, so I would try a chocolate grape just once.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
They had a ton more ideas. Those are what I remembered off the top of my head at the moment. But the whole point was how to add more veggies and fruit to your diet with out feeling deprived. Like the pureed beans you can use in place of oil when making cakes and cupcakes. I guess it's more a healthy alternative type thing. The pureed beans was to fill you up faster so you could have a piece of cake without going back and having 3 more slices cause the first tasted so good. Or if you make spaghetti you can do half whole wheat and half regular pasta. Cutting calories but still getting what you wanted in the first place.

I watched for ideas on how to say stop. I intend to eat this much but never do. That two pieces of pizza always turns to four along with fries and ranch to dip the crust and fries in. Before you know it 3000 calories in one sitting!

Last edited by krow134; 02-20-2013 at 10:14 PM..
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
I went to the store today and bought oranges, spinach, asparagus, broccoli, apples, arugula, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, avocado(that probably won't count), strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and bananas. So I am in, and up for this challenge. I want to get some peppers too.
This will help to brighten our complexions too
Great idea!
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
I like it! Gonna be out of town this weekend not on the computer, will be interested to follow this thread when I get back.
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I am about to try a potato hack, so I guess I can't join. But I can chime in with some things that I usually do to add veggies to meals:

1) Ramsack the the vegetable drawer of the fridge when making a salad and toss in some diced zucchini, cumcumbers, peppers, green onions, sprouts, avocado, radishes, carrots, red cabbage, mushrooms. etc. along with the lettuce, spinach, or mixed greens. Maybe open a jar of artichoke hearts or hearts of palm and put that in also.

2) Add diced veggies (e.g., celery, zucchini, peppers, broccolini) to casseroles, such as low carb lasagne or chili, or to something like marinara sauce, and saute the veggies along with the onions.

3) Add diced veggies to egg salad, chicken salad, or tuna salad. Adds crunch and stretches out the protein without adding many calories.

4) Add sauteed veggies to an omelet or scrambled eggs or frittata.

Sounds like a great idea for a challenge for yourself, Steph, and might end up being addictive. Sher, you sound like you are well equipped to join in, and you've got lots of great ideas, Katie.

If I find that I can't handle a potato hack due to blood sugar issues, I'll happily go back to veggie-heavy up days and join in.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Here are few things I do:

Get a nice pack of celery hearts (the lighter in color the better) and make a nice dip- make or buy a more fattening version if you want on UDs- munch away *before* eating more caloric foods so you feel full with less.

1 large cucumber half peeled and sliced very thin- marinade in rice vinegar with pink himalayan salt and a few diced onions or marinade in Kimchi dressing you may find at your Asian grocer. Eat *before* your meal.

A huge plate of lettuce with a dressing you enjoy will help you feel fuller *before* partaking in the yummy UD cuisine.

Starfruit or carambola is about 38 calories for the whole piece of fruit. This is also yummy, sweet and filling. It can substitute for dessert every now and then.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
If this were next week, I'd be IN, but I can't have any veggies or fruit this week. (upcoming test) I need to get back to incorporating some of my old southbeach diet healthy eating in to my UDs. You guys can do this!!! Veggies & fruits are yummy!

FTR, Katie, I can see chocolate covered grapes working! I LOOOOOOOOVE frozen grapes! My kids do, too. I have them in the freezer all summer and they even work for ice cubes in your water. lol!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I've transitioned to the 8 hour window plan for maintenance, but i really want to start eating healthier so i'll join in
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
Steph that is a great plan. I will say, since following JUDDD I eat more veggies than I ever have (and I like veggies). I am not such a fruit person, unless you count tomatoes. Fruit messes with my blood sugar and I honestly don't prefer the taste unless it is strawberries and peaches perfectly ripe and in season!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
(Oops--I just realized you are probably looking for participants more than suggestions...but I wrote all this out already, hope y'all don't mind!)

Here are some things I do to make adding veggies easier--
I make enough for several servings:

--Steam a whole lot of green beans or broccoli (I get the crowns).
The broc can be added to pasta & alfredo sauce, both can be added to stir-fries, reheated as a side dish with some butter (and garlic and Parmesan/Romano/Asiago cheese), or snacked on with a dip. (I can't eat a lot of raw vegetables at once; lightly steamed is easier.)

--Caramelize some onions and sautee some other veggies with it:
Spinach
Mushrooms
Red peppers
Zucchini
(or any combination of the above)
Add to eggs, quesadillas, pierogies.
It's really easy to make yourself a good omelette every day when you have the veggies pre-cooked! I like to add feta cheese, too!

--Make a nice pot of ratatouille.
(Eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, parsley, garlic.)
Since I'm diabetic and leave potatoes and carrots out of soups, many seem watery and boring. But ratatouille rocks!!!

--Prep some veggies to have with sandwiches
or a little plate of cheese/olives/pickles/salami:
Red pepper strips
Grape tomatoes
Baby carrots
Cucumber slices
Celery sticks
(I will eat a lot more veggies between bites of a sandwich than I will on their own!)

--Make gazpacho,
serve in a glass and sip through a straw for a snack
(The kind of gazpacho I like is made with a little bread & olive oil; quite filling!)

A friend of mine told me she puts tuna or chicken salad in 1/2 a bell pepper instead of making a sandwich.

I have a particular hatred of washing lettuce (used to make lunch for 30 people every day and had to make a huge bowl of salad with muddy lettuce picked from the garden), so washing/spinning all the lettuce at once will make it more likely that I'll eat salad.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Aside from down days being sometimes just hemp protein or other weirdness..
I try to not ever eat a meal without produce.
My body really notices and reminds me if I get into a bad place and miss adding the produce. Then I go wacky and eat three oranges or a tub of baby kale.
It is a brilliant plan and idea. You must be some kind of smart bug. (I watched Starship Troopers)
Post the veg at every meal in CAPS in our daily menus?
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
A friend of mine told me she puts tuna or chicken salad in 1/2 a bell pepper instead of making a sandwich.
One of my favorite hot season foods is egg salad with bell peppers cut into wide scoop strips to dip it up. I will eat two peppers at a sitting.
I think I have a thing about bell peppers. I also put a pile of them (five or six) cut into strips on top of meatloaf I make in the crockpot. It is like unstuffed peppers as they cook with the meat. The smell always makes me smile.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #15

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
One of my favorite hot season foods is egg salad with bell peppers cut into wide scoop strips to dip it up. I will eat two peppers at a sitting.
I think I have a thing about bell peppers. I also put a pile of them (five or six) cut into strips on top of meatloaf I make in the crockpot. It is like unstuffed peppers as they cook with the meat. The smell always makes me smile.
That is brilliant, the meatloaf I mean. I've never made it in the crockpot. Do you mind sharing that recipe?
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Fun fun. I'll join you since I'm so good at gnashing myself One interesting thing I was reading about that I thought I might try was called the apple substitution diet (obviously I'm not changing diets but the concept intrigued me). Basically eat whatever you want but eat add an apple in before you eat anything. Its supposed to substitute some of the "bad" calories you were going to eat and fill you up so you eat less. I'm certain it would work nearly as well with other things too.

So my goal this week is to eat a whole serving fruit or vegetable before eating anything else meal wise on my up days. Therefore if I want to snack all day, that's going to be a whole lot of apples

Another good thing I've been doing is buying eggplant and shredding it and anytime I make pasta and marinara or soup, I add half an eggplant to it. You can't taste it and it adds a lot of filler for very few calories.

Last edited by brewstate; 02-21-2013 at 09:30 AM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

this is going to be a lllottttt harder than I first thought. Becausse I do tend to graze on UDs. So..if i do this, it will definately help me not to graze so much
Does lemon in my water count??
how about yogurt covered raisins?
Well , so far this challenge has saved me from having pretzels for breakfast-I mean, I couldn't think of any fruit to put with it!
So I had an apple instead
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Just updated today's menu with CAPS for PRODUCE.. I think that will keep it front of mind for me, and I would love to see you all pointing out the veg and fruit for yourself and everyone else.

I make meatloaf (family calls it meatcake) in the crockpot pretty regularly, and you can use whatever meatloaf recipe your family likes. It will work just fine.
I generally do a 1.5 or 2lb loaf for just hubs and myself, but if the boys are around I double that.
Basic recipe is just the thawed ground meat (I have 2lb packages of elk or 1.5lb grassfed beef) which is pretty lean mixed right in the crock with:
1 cup organic rolled oats and quarter cup chia seeds OR half cup oats and half cup hulled hemp seeds OR half cup oats and quarter cup each hemp and chia seeds. The chia seeds really do a nice thing for the moistness of the meatcake and add great nutrition, otherwise you will never know either seed is there by taste or sight.
1 can organic diced tomatoes slightly drained or a small can tomato paste and a splash of water or a little extra almond milk
.5 cup unsweetened plain almond milk - seeds and oats soak it up
seasoned sea salt - about a teaspoon per pound of meat
several dashes of whatever hot sauce comes to hand (we have an entire cupboard shelf devoted to hot sauce - so use sriracha or Franks or Tabasco or Cholula or Tapatio or whatever makes you happy)
a heaping teaspoon total of whatever herbs feel good at the time. Herb de provance with lavendar or thyme or a handful of fresh sage from the garden.
IF you want onion in the loaf mince a small one up fine and add. Ditto a couple handfuls of baby spinach mixed in is great.
Pat evenly into bottom of crock, and if you are a fan of "sweet glazed" meatloaf you can sprinkle on some coconut palm sugar and squeeze on a thick layer of organic ketchup before adding the peppers. Might want a sprinkle of sea salt on that too.
slice a bag of bell peppers (I really like green) into .5" or wider strips and pile them on top of the meatcake. They cook down and serve up beautifully.
I cook on low all day, but low on my crock (Hamilton Beach 3 in 1) is high for any other crock I have met. It gets crusty around the sides and fabulous.
If your meat is fattier you will get a rim of grease around the cake. Just ladle it off with a little ladle or deep spoon.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #19

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Thanks Lou! I'm going to try it!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Ok, I'm in.

So far today, I had a veggie burger ( does that count? lol) and then chili, which for sure is a lot of tomatoes.
Dinner is broccoli and salmon.
Snack might be baby carrots.

I don't know if I'll have a lot of variety, but I like the idea
S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #21
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
this is going to be a lllottttt harder than I first thought. Becausse I do tend to graze on UDs. So..if i do this, it will definately help me not to graze so much
Does lemon in my water count??
[B]how about yogurt covered raisins? [/ b]
Well , so far this challenge has saved me from having pretzels for breakfast-I mean, I couldn't think of any fruit to put with it!
So I had an apple instead
I counted the orange flavored cranberries in my trail mix snack

I'm not posting in the ud/dd food plan threads anymore, but today i had a big serving of dark greens and tomato with my flatbread sandwich, the trail mix which i really am counting lol, a green smoothie with spinach, kale, oj, strawberries, 1/2 banana and blueberries, and a salad for supper with dark greens, cauliflower pieces, tomato, and green pepper. Today is a success!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sara-- side note-- do we get before/after pics from you???
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
I like substituting veggie burgers for meat, to get in an extra serving. But so many are made of soy (which is not so good for your thyroid and I worry about that), or just don't taste good.

Here's a link to one made with eggplant which I find to be one of the best veggies for incorporating into a burger. And it might be a veggie you don't eat very often. Not pretty, but tastes good! Veggie burger tutorial with photos from Chelsea at Cook Teen.

'nother idea-
It's hard to get enough veggies INTO an omelet for me! LOL! So I also like to have one arranged on the side. I have discovered the prettiest and most appetizing veggie alongside an omelet on a plate is asparagus. It's worth it to me (especially if more than one person having omelets) to steam some quickly (or use leftovers from supper) and place 5 to 7 spears beside each omelet. Eye candy with the contrasting colors and shapes! People who didn't even think they were hungry will want to eat with you!

Last edited by Whitlin'; 02-21-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, I have to say-- I'm finding packaged veggies very helpful... Like the bags of coleslaw mix (for stirfries, or, omg, actual coleslaw )

also, the (new-to-me) steam in bag fresh veggies, like broccoli florets or mixed broccoli/cauli, and greenbeans are sold this way too.

if you don't know about boiled radishes-- get on it! cheap, just rinse/trip, maybe slice in half if they are big, boil till fork tender, add some butter and chives and a pinch of garlic powder. YUMMO

sliced beets. These count, right?
S.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
Sara-- side note-- do we get before/after pics from you???
I don't have any before pictures because i was always behind the camera lol. I do want to get an after picture for my avi picture-we have a formal dinner on saturday so maybe i'll have my dh take my picture since i'll be all put together

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
Also, I have to say-- I'm finding packaged veggies very helpful... Like the bags of coleslaw mix (for stirfries, or, omg, actual coleslaw )

also, the (new-to-me) steam in bag fresh veggies, like broccoli florets or mixed broccoli/cauli, and greenbeans are sold this way too.

if you don't know about boiled radishes-- get on it! cheap, just rinse/trip, maybe slice in half if they are big, boil till fork tender, add some butter and chives and a pinch of garlic powder. YUMMO

sliced beets. These count, right?
S.
I have never tasted a radish, adding it to my grocery list!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmm, I will have to try the radish thing, sounds great!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
My favorite commercial veggie burgers are "Sunshine Burgers". I make my own version with short grain brown rice, grated carrots & zucchini, onion, sunflower seeds, and tons of fresh parsley. Nutrional yeast & Bragg's aminos. No soy!

I make 24-40 at a time and freeze a bunch.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
I'm in for the meals! (I hope it is OK if I leave snacks as "make an effort"? )
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I noticed that I have a lot of that sprinkle seasoning for popcorn (hey, is that a veggie? ) and it never sticks... but you know what it sticks to? baby carrots!
betcha it sticks to other veggies too...

boiled radishes are MUCH milder than raw... not quite like a new potato, but still very yummy in their own right with some butter etc. and extremely low carb!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

love radishes in stews instead of little potatoes!
getting hungry