Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   fitness or lack thereof (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/797521-fitness-lack-thereof.html)

b_lou_who 02-20-2013 08:45 AM

fitness or lack thereof

Had a recent experience that made me grateful once again for the supportive, encouraging group of budds here. If we ask a question we get experiences, and if not we get hugs and understanding. Uncommon on the web and in real life. LOVE YOU ALL

I have been dedicatedly going to about 2 hour yoga three days a week, and doing daily practice of at least 20 min a day in between. Trying to squeeze in using my pilates chair for 20 minutes on off days. Doing minor strengthening exercises at work (leaning pushups on my credenza, ditto tricep dips, a few crunches).
Nothing extremely strenuous, all very gentle and healing. Trying to ease my way back into the fitness world with kindness to this old body. JUDDD won me because it is kind to me. I get to make my choices, have a healthy relationship with food, and I feel fantastic doing IF.

A friend talked me into going to a bootcamp class with her, which was high intensity, too much impact, completely agressive from the instructor. She insulted me and how out of shape I am. It was awful. Set off a very nasty sciatica attack after she pushed me to do something I said I knew would hurt my sciatic area. Another woman in the class tried to diagnose and prescribe treatment to me afterward (terrifying). Wondering why the fitness world went all militant, rude instead of encouraging, and WHY do people think they can butt in, unasked and uninvited, with horrible toxic advice? I suppose there must be people who respond to insults and pushiness, but I definitely am not one of them. Must be why I hate all of those tv shows like biggest loser.
Do any of you go to classes that are coaxing and encouraging, or is it all "you aren't good enough" out there now?

Yennie 02-20-2013 09:00 AM

While I have personally never been to a "bootcamp" class, I think the name implies a certain level of derision in their style of motivation. Think the bootcamp scenes from "Full Metal Jacket" which my dad & husband, both Marines, say is one of the most accurate Hollywood portrayals of boot camp. The drill instructor in the movie was meant to be a consult only but the actor wasn't mean enough, so he was cast in the role.
Anyhow, while I've not done anything at a facility but yoga (no one yells in yoga, thankfully) in ages I would think this may be part of this style of training. As would the pushing - very boot camp-esque.
As for Miss Diagnose it on the fly - well, some people need to learn to MTOB. There is always that ONE person who thinks they can help you train your dog, your horse, diagnose your medical problems, etc because they saw it on TV or had it happen to them once so clearly they are now experts. I'd like to say that I smile politely and say thank you while ignoring them, trying to understand that, in their mind, they're helping. However I am not always successful and have been known to tell someone, quite bluntly, to butt out.
You can now say you've been to a boot camp class & its not for you. Check that off your bucket list and nurse your poor leg. :)

svenskamae 02-20-2013 09:01 AM

The only classes I'd consider going to are ones that are likely to select for gentle and encouraging instructors--yoga, tai chi, or qi gong. Sounds like you had a horrible experience, and I hope that you don't have another one like that. :console:

I guess some people respond to that sort of military-style pushing and putting down, but I do not! One of the reasons that I prefer to do exercise DVDs at home is that I can control what sort of "instructor" I get. Jane Fonda is alway so happy to see me and pleased with my progress, :D wheneve I play her "Prime Time" DVDs.

hot-in-texas 02-20-2013 09:17 AM

you have been doing great with your yoga, it has been gentle for you and you love it. I have never been to bootcamp, and don't want to because i am completely not in shape for that. I am sorry the instructor was so stupid, and now your sciatica hurts. A lot of people have the no pain no gain mentality, I question that mentality. While I know that it is sometimes good to push yourself, that should not mean to the point of pain. Zumba or something else might be good, for a higher cardiac work out. but this instructor is not a good one.

KeirasMom 02-20-2013 09:47 AM

I won't go to a class unless it sounds like FUN. I go to Zumba and enjoy it. It's higher intensity, but it's fun and friendly. I would have walked out of that boot camp class in about 5 minutes.

LoCarbGal 02-20-2013 09:52 AM

I guess for folks who want to get in serious shape, like yesterday, maybe bootcamp would be a good option. I've never wanted anything like that. Gentle, supportive, encouraging is what I want. I'm so sorry you experienced such a bad time there, and afterward with your injury. Sounds like you've met your match with yoga. Take care of yourself and hope you get to feeling better soon! :hugs:

Mssarge 02-20-2013 09:56 AM

Heck, I was only yelled at in basic training (the Marines call it bootcamp) and encouraged by all the TO's during my 22 years in the Army but, believe me, the DI's wouldn't get away with what they do at bootcamp training or on The biggest loser. Encouragement goes so much further to help someone improve.

And as for the "buttinsky's" of this world, I'm with you...I just nod my head and thank 'em, unless they're too pushy, then I push back.

Tai Chi, Yoga and Chi Gung for me, too...although I am thinking of joining a new gym for the water aerobics...

Whitlin' 02-20-2013 11:13 AM

((b_lou_who)), my buddy and pal from exercise thread! (((more hugs))) THIS INSTRUCTOR HAS QUESTIONABLE TRAINING. What is her certification? If I were you I'd be very curious to know that. A certified fitness instructor who pushes a first-time student to injury has made a serious error, and has possibly forgotten her own training and certification, would be embarrassed in front of her peers and immediately trying to access her mistake. But a certified fitness instructor who insults a new student? UNHEARD OF. This makes me think this person is either not really trained or misunderstanding her training.

Sciatic pain, or inflamed piriformis muscle beside the sciatic nerve - remember to drink extra water, that's one of the best helps to heal it. Don't sit in the same chair too long, change about.

I was reading your post and thinking, "Wow, she is in such good shape." Yoga is challenging. High impact is fine, but you work up to it. Duh. A person is certainly not in poor "shape" just because they need to work up to high impact.

High insult, now that never helps anybody.

stephdray 02-20-2013 08:18 PM

I will never do any exercise that I think will injure me. Because when the class is over, the instructor is not going to pay my medical bills, is not going to buy my pain medication, is not going to compensate me for lost wages, lost mobility, lost life experiences. I have seen trainers permanently damage their clients over and over again.

IMO, if you want to be fit so badly that you'd endanger yourself, you don't need a trainer to do it. You'd just push yourself harder. Unless you have some kind of fetish...

So, that's my opinion on that, which makes me so sorry for you that you experienced this. It is my hope that next time someone insults you, you flip them the bird.

mojocat 02-20-2013 08:35 PM

That's why I like Spin. It's low impact, you go at your own pace and the instructor is stuck on her bike in the front spinning for her life - no time to pick on the participants!

I feel that people are just getting more nasty these days in general, and the anonymity of social media feeds it and draws it out into real life. That's just me venting though :annoyed:

JayLynn 02-20-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdray (Post 16271124)
I will never do any exercise that I think will injure me. Because when the class is over, the instructor is not going to pay my medical bills, is not going to buy my pain medication, is not going to compensate me for lost wages, lost mobility, lost life experiences. I have seen trainers permanently damage their clients over and over again.

IMO, if you want to be fit so badly that you'd endanger yourself, you don't need a trainer to do it. You'd just push yourself harder. Unless you have some kind of fetish...

So, that's my opinion on that, which makes me so sorry for you that you experienced this. It is my hope that next time someone insults you, you flip them the bird.

:high5: :laugh:

Carly 02-21-2013 03:50 AM

Yes- I agree that now you can check boot camp off your to do list and pick things that sound fun, enjoyable, invigorating or relaxing. I think "boot camp" implies the type of treatment one may get so I'd avoid that. I'm with Dawn- if and when I can really exercise someday, I want to Zumba... it sounds like loads of fun! I use to teach slide aerobics, but I don't know if that is still around. Talk about FUN!

zipp2play 02-21-2013 04:56 AM

Honestly, it's the Biggest Loser World that has created the situation. I have done numerous boot camps and never once was I yelled at or pushed beyond what I wanted. There is no reason to spend $$$ to go somewhere and be made to feel like CRAP! I think what you are doing is what is working best for you. I am so sorry you had such an awful experience!

Whitlin' 02-21-2013 06:24 AM

(sorry about double post)

Whitlin' 02-21-2013 06:25 AM

b_lou_who, I got so indignant :doh: I neglected to answer the last question of your post, but you probably remember I do T-Tapp. It's mostly an at-home DVD series of physical therapy-based workouts, but I have been to several workshops with trainers. All the T-Tapp trainers are certified, many through more than one organization, and go through a retreat of instruction with Teresa Tapp herself over several days before they are accredited to teach her methods.

Anyway, I can answer you truthfully that both those workshops were super challenging (think s-w-e-a-t-y), but all that any of us (no matter what our size, age or abilities) heard from the trainers was encouragement and understanding, plus quick help if our form was off and we might hurt ourselves. Tapp is very insistent that workouts should be safe and the movements purposeful. She insists a beginner stick with the first workout until it's mastered, and only then go on to intermediate and advanced.

Also wanted to agree with Dawn that Beto Perez of Zumba certainly seems to understand the concepts of warm-up and cool-down for safe workouts. Lots of stretching moves. He often mentions that beginners might do the workout differently and shows examples. I haven't attended a class, but like those DVDs, too.

Can anybody tell I'm a HUGE fan of at-home DVD workouts? You work out when it's convenient for you, even spur-of-the-moment, no thought to the weather, any workout clothes you like, quit when you like, with no one to look at you and have opinions! :up:

b_lou_who 02-21-2013 08:01 AM

Something I left out that really burned my bacon (I promise I'm done venting after this one! :)
She started making class-loud comments about how bad McDonalds and other fast food is for you. At ME.
You people see my daily menus and know how obsessively passionate I am about eating organic, whole, clean, local...blah blah. I haven't had fast food or junk for so many years it is laughable. Didn't make me laugh with the sciatic pain radiating down my leg though.
I'm perched on the fence at my bmi right now between high end of normal/starting to be overweight. I don't feel like that is a crisis. Yes I am overweight for my frame, yes I want to be in better fitness and health. Criminy. I don't look that horribly near death's door from obesity (I HOPE)

hugs all around, you are a kind and wonderful pack of women!!

Lori_:) 02-21-2013 08:32 AM

What a terrible experience! I go to boot camp 4-5 days a week and I love it. Our instructor tries to bring out the best in you, but never in a hurtful or nasty way. There are certain things that I won't attempt because I know it will hurt my hip, or low back or whatever and he is fine with that. He gives modifications for moves that you feel are out of your realm. Our class is all about encouragement........even though it is the hardest thing I've ever done!

I have piriformis syndrome too.......I know how painful it can be. Stretching & massage have been a blessing for me. Hope you feel better soon.

Lori

b_lou_who 02-21-2013 09:11 AM

^^^^ she offered no modifications, and was not even really modeling the exercise, just a quick 1 second demo of what it should look like and then walking around (saying some nice things to the buff young women made of jerky---and insulting me) so glad I am never going back there. I guess some people must love it, she had about 8 regulars it looked like.

Whitlin' 02-21-2013 11:15 AM

This is from the article, "Smart is Beautiful" by Teresa Tapp.

"Smart is the key to beautiful. A beautiful woman is someone who feels good, is fit, and is firing on all eight. That's why I'm not a believer in the yell-and-make-people-work-so-hard-they-barf theory of fitness; in my opinion tearing people down "to get through to them" steals from their souls and doesn't make them better people."

b_lou_who 02-21-2013 11:32 AM

^^ adore that, whitlin'

svenskamae 02-21-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_lou_who (Post 16271870)
Something I left out that really burned my bacon (I promise I'm done venting after this one! :)
She started making class-loud comments about how bad McDonalds and other fast food is for you. At ME.
You people see my daily menus and know how obsessively passionate I am about eating organic, whole, clean, local...blah blah. I haven't had fast food or junk for so many years it is laughable. Didn't make me laugh with the sciatic pain radiating down my leg though.
I'm perched on the fence at my bmi right now between high end of normal/starting to be overweight. I don't feel like that is a crisis. Yes I am overweight for my frame, yes I want to be in better fitness and health. Criminy. I don't look that horribly near death's door from obesity (I HOPE)

hugs all around, you are a kind and wonderful pack of women!!

GRRRR, I want to slap that instructor! :mad: What a witch! I detest how stupid people assume they know what you eat and how much you eat on the basis of your body size--and it's particularly appalling to publicly comment when someone is high normal/overweight BMI. You look lovely in your avi, and I'm sure that you do in person, too. I'm sure your diet and self-control are far superior to what that instructor eats. :console: I can't imagine that instructor will be successful long-term, since 2/3 of the adult population is officially "overweight or obese," and I don't think that many of them would enjoy being publicly humiliated by that awful person.

jaymar 02-21-2013 04:04 PM

b lou, it sounds like you didn't buy that instuctor's garbage for a second..good for you...the kind of thinking that people like her have is what keeps a lot of people from really getting the help they need..I had a Dr once..who was of that same mentality..she'd weigh me and I'd say..I stuck to my plan...she'd snap back and say...well..if you didn't lose a pound, then I know how much you have been eating...what she didn't know was that I had already wrecked my metabolism by trying to starve off the pounds...the more I'd starve the slower my metabolism got...I think you know exactly what's best for you, and you're not going to let someone push you in a direction that's not good for you...Good Girl...don't change ..I think you've got it right, and you will succeed too. BTW, I cannot do any strenous exercise right now, and I am losing, thanks to Juddd and the great people on here., who keep me encouraged.

tofucheez 02-21-2013 05:00 PM

sorry about your experience Blou.

please don't write off all exercise classes, though. it's just that particular instructor to avoid like the plague. I take a bunch of boot camp-ish style classes and love them all, despite not being athletic AT ALL. the reason i love them so much is BECAUSE of the instructors. they make me feel awesome no matter how unathletic i am. they also model all the exercisees and show midifications for every level. and lots and lots of emcouragement. too bad you can't join me at my gym....you'd love it. the first time i went i didn't think i'd like it at all, partly because of my skill level, but also because the instructors are all toned, trim, and gorgeous! but they are the sweetest group of people. you reminded me just how lucky i am to have found this gym.

Librarygirl 02-22-2013 04:36 AM

I think I would have been extremely unkind back to that instructor, and then I would have left, in a hurry! Plus, I probably would have cried. I'm so sorry you went through that, and hope you never have to experience a poorly trained, sadistic instructor like that again. What a nightmare!

Eieio 02-22-2013 10:51 AM

Honesty, I'd report her skinny bottom!
Her actions are not the norm.
She's very unprofessional.
Pretty sure it will help her rethink, change her approach.
U'd be helping someone else before she hurts others.

I've always enjoyed my gym visit.
Sorry she made a bad mistake.
Report her by letter, since your hurt.
Sorry B
Ei