Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
33 Weeks on JUDDD -- Whooosh!

Today's weigh in was 250 lbs. That's a 6 lb loss this week, for a total loss of 40 lbs total, 30 of them on JUDDD.

Wow. I did it. That was my mini-goal. I haven't been this weight since law school, when I despaired of seeing it on the scale. But now I'm jubilant. The last ten pounds of this came off much more slowly during the holidays, my book deadline, and enormous family stress. But it came off!

As always, the upsides and downsides.

Downsides

Faustian Bargains. Since the dog days of November, I have been unable to achieve a calorie-perfect up day. I go over my numbers every time, or simply stop counting... Out of other options, I made a deal with myself. I would allow myself ONE up day each week during which I would not count calories. I don't understand why I should have to do this kind of game playing with myself. And I don't understand why my generously appointed up days now can feel like deprivation. But this appears not to be a fluke and is settling in as a permanent feature.

Upsides

Super Low Down Days. Strangely, this week was marked by two down days of only 60 calories each. When I got hungry, I would tell myself to drink a cup of tea and if I still needed to eat after that, I could...but I never did. I didn't struggle or force it, because I have learned how that can snap back at me the next up day. But I was totally fine, and that's weird. They were productive, lovely down days.

Better Up Days. This week, I forced myself to count all my up days but one. I told myself I didn't have to stop eating if I was still hungry, but I did have to count. That let me see that I was going over by 200-500 calories. It also let me see that I was genuinely eating because I was hungry on my up days, not because I was bored, or emotional, or just could not resist a piece of cake. It didn't make a lot of sense to me how I can be fine with 60 calories one day, but want to eat 2500-3000 the next, but that's what's been going on. So, as an experiment, I started cutting back my carbs on up days. Not eliminating them--just reigning them in a bit and reminding myself that protein is an important nutrient. And I think it helped!

Experimentation. Since I've been making 0 calorie Glucomannan jello, I've started adding in gelatin to help it set better. And once I started playing with gelatin, I got to thinking about traditional 1920s dishes, like aspics. This week I made a tomato aspic that my husband pronounced was NOT HORRIBLE. Next will be a hard boiled egg in chicken aspic with herbs. It's for the history, people...

Increased Confidence. My next goal will be to hit that nice 50 lb mark. I feel nervous about whether or not I can make it, because this past ten pounds came off so slowly, but what I don't feel as nervous about is gaining anything back. JUDDD has given me the tools to at least maintain the status quo!

I'm so pleased today and so grateful for all the help, support, and advice that you've all offered me here. My heart is so big it's going to burst! Love you JUDDD BUDDDs!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
WOW! Steph, oh my gosh when I saw your title line with WHOOSH in it, I nearly jumped out of my chair! I'm so happy for you!

Isn't it great to be so far into this journey, and still learning from it? I find it all so fascinating. Frustrating sometimes, yes. But just fascinating. And let me just say that I am uber-impressed with your 60 cal DDs. Whoa, I don't see that in my future, but I like how you thought it out and had tea first. Really impressive.

I hear you on the UD thing too. I've been trying real hard to rein in my UD cals a bit too lately, and it is weird to feel restricted on them. I don't feel horribly restricted, but I've basically cut out either breakfast or lunch on them so I can splurge for drink/dinner and possibly dessert in the evenings. Like you, I keep changing things up to fit whatever needs are happening at the time.

So glad we're in this thing together, all of us!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Yee-haw!!!

Oh Steph, I'm so happy for you!
I thought you must be due for a whoosh, but being relatively new, I also thought "What the heck do I know?"
I am super impressed that you were able to maintain, and ultimately lose during the holidays and your family turmoil. Prior to JUDDD, that would have been a license for me to throw any diet by the wayside. Like you, I'm over the top excited about the tools we've been given from JUDDD. Reading stories like yours help me prepare mentally for when I will encounter road blocks.
BIGGEST CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
So happy for you. I wrote a really long heartfelt response to last week's post but the internet ate it and I was too lazy to retype it about cycles in women and how the scale absolutely lies all the time. It was thoughtful. It was deep. You're just going to have to take my word on that

All I can say know is you better set a new goal

Last edited by brewstate; 02-20-2013 at 08:40 AM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: deboratpc
Stats: 238/203.8/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/07/2013
YAY!!!!

I love reading your weekly updates!!! I was just thinking yesterday that a new one should be coming soon and was anxious to hear how things are going. I was so excited when I saw the WHOOOSH!!!!!
deboratpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 44yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Awww Steph, that is absolutely FANTASTIC news!!!! A 6# whoosh this week! I'm about to cry tears of joy FOR you! girl, 40# is an amazing accomplishment and the lessons you are learning about yourself are the best prize ever!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I got a big grin on my face as soon as I read the title of your thread! Congratulations!!! Thank you for another insightful post, and keep up the great work.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Steph..So thirlled to read this post today.. i dont get on much any more, and i wondered how you were doing.. You have come so far.. Love ya girly~
Fear is somthing we all have at differnt points in our own journey.. Dont let fear rob you of what you CAN do..Theres no time limit, and the only true faliure in all of this is to QUIT on your self all together!! Take your time, enjoy life as its handed to you with the good the bad and the food! Once you can let go and trust that your body will take time to let go of what we packed on thru the years when its good and ready.. its so much eaiser to see what that dang scale wants to report!.. You are a warrior!!! Dont forget that! Peace and love to you dear Steph~
1994 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD

I was sure hoping this week would bring you a much-deserved whoosh! Woohoo!!!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Woot! Woot! Woot! Love them whooshes - so well deserved!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
that is so awesome. YAY!!! It is good to know that this far into it, the wooshes still come!
Love the idea of gelatin molds and aspics. I hope you are doing them in the lime green and other nostalgic colors(then again, I guess all jello colors are nostalgic-but expecially the lime green)
Can you believe you have done 60 calorie DDs. Simply amazing.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Congratulations, Steph!! Sooo happy to hear the Whoosh Fairy paid you a well deserved visit!

That's awesome you're getting in the kitchen, I've found this to really help me keep out of the pre-packaged items (cereal, chips, etc.) that I shouldn't be eating. Love gluc pudding, interesting combination with gelatin to help it set better. What kind of ratios are you using gluc:gelatin?

eta, did a search on aspics - have never heard of this before - looks like fun!

Last edited by Luv2Eat; 02-20-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Yaaay! and a big CONGRATULATIONS...that is awesome..it's wonderful when you have the whoosh...and it also tells you,,,don't give up..I know it can be very hard sometimes...it's worth it..and you are doing a wonderful job..
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 52yo
WOE: JUDDDish
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Steph, what a delight for you to hit this mark! I know that the zero digit at the end of a weight doesn't really mean any more than any other pound loss, and the half-point within a hundred digits doesn't either. But that psychological edge of saying, "I'm under ________ ." is a boon, I think.

So congratulations! And it's great you are experimenting with cooking and such. Gotta love it when a husband decides that something's not horrible!

Elise, I just saw your new photo/avatar! Looking good!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Isn't it great to be so far into this journey, and still learning from it? I find it all so fascinating. Frustrating sometimes, yes. But just fascinating. And let me just say that I am uber-impressed with your 60 cal DDs. Whoa, I don't see that in my future, but I like how you thought it out and had tea first. Really impressive.
I'm not sure it will ever happen again, but I just let it ride. Black Caramel Vanilla Tea with 10 calories worth of powdered creamer in the morning, followed by various non-cream-needing teas all day. Then before bed, a wheel of laughing cow light baby-bel.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much everybody!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Oh Steph, I'm so happy for you!
I thought you must be due for a whoosh, but being relatively new, I also thought "What the heck do I know?"
I am super impressed that you were able to maintain, and ultimately lose during the holidays and your family turmoil. Prior to JUDDD, that would have been a license for me to throw any diet by the wayside.
Oh, that has always been a license for me, too. But not eating doesn't take much time. So even though I was unable to do anything resembling a diet on up days, I was able to keep my down days and that made all the difference. The thing I love about JUDDD is that it still kind of works even if you do it half-assed.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
So happy for you. I wrote a really long heartfelt response to last week's post but the internet ate it and I was too lazy to retype it about cycles in women and how the scale absolutely lies all the time. It was thoughtful. It was deep. You're just going to have to take my word on that
*howl* I believe you!!!!!

Also, you look amazing. Love the new pic.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboratpc View Post
YAY!!!!

I love reading your weekly updates!!! I was just thinking yesterday that a new one should be coming soon and was anxious to hear how things are going. I was so excited when I saw the WHOOOSH!!!!!
Every Wednesday or Thursday depending on which follows my down day Thank you so much!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/199/147?
WOE: JUDDD modified
Start Date: July 11, 2012
I was so happy to see your update! (not only because of the good news, but because I look forward to reading them). I had a feeling, after you were so wrongfully ROBBED at the scale last week, that this week would be good, but how lovely to hit the 40 lb. milestone as well. Oh, and 50 pounds is yours. You've got this. It's just a matter of WHEN.
calichris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: deborahlh
Stats: 210/187/145
Awesome!!!!
deborahlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
OMG, I totally needed to see this today! I'm feeling sort of blah, and I can relate to a lot of what you've had going on... not counting up days, letting carbs creep up, not losing and even gaining...

I really feel like, Steph got her act together, I can too. I was going to post a "I feel blah" post, but I'm going to hold off, put some of these same policies (?) into place that you have (was thinking of reducing carbs anyway) and I hope to see some positive (negative?) scale movement in a few days!

Thanks for keeping up with these updates Steph, with all you have going on, emotional turmoil, etc. It means a lot!

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I just knew that a whoosh was right around the corner for you! I'm so thrilled.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
GOOD work Steph! Bravo!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Sooo happy for you!!! I love to hear success stories like yours. I like how you keep it real and admit your frustrations and also share your joys. We have that in common! KUTGW!!!!
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bows1
Stats: 263/225/163
WOE: JUDDD <3!
Start Date: Oct, 2012
Steph! Happy for you!!

I'd forgotten all about using gluc powder to make LC foods! Can you (or someone else ) tell me how to make gluc jello please?
Bows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Theres no time limit, and the only true faliure in all of this is to QUIT on your self all together!! Take your time, enjoy life as its handed to you with the good the bad and the food! ... You are a warrior!!!
Wow, I love you Kimberly and am always glad when you stop by. I don't know if anyone has ever called me a warrior before, but I like it!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
that is so awesome. YAY!!! It is good to know that this far into it, the wooshes still come!
Love the idea of gelatin molds and aspics. I hope you are doing them in the lime green and other nostalgic colors(then again, I guess all jello colors are nostalgic-but expecially the lime green)
Can you believe you have done 60 calorie DDs. Simply amazing.
Hah! I started with a tomato aspic, so it was red from the tomatoes, but otherwise clear. I just used knox gelatine. My eggs in chicken aspic I might add a drop of yellow food coloring to :P
Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
Love gluc pudding, interesting combination with gelatin to help it set better. What kind of ratios are you using gluc:gelatin?
I'll let you know when I get the right balance. Gluc tends to turn into a gel. Which is fine. But I want it to jiggle like gelatin. I am going to try less water tomorrow and see how it works out.

The gelatin adds 25 calories per packet, but divided out into six servings it's fairly negligible.