Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
I did not read the book(I know I really should) but I visited the website, and that is where I read induction should be no more than 500 calories the first 2 weeks, to get the SIRT1 gene to begin doing it's magic.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BobApjok
Stats: 400+/288/200
WOE: Atkins
I just got to the part about induction. the 500 is his simplified way to round. he uses a woman as an example, but the 500 comes from his math using a woman, so in my case the 20% will be higher.

During this time you will be restricting your down-day calorie intake to no more than 20 percent of what you would normally eat. To simplify matters for you, I’ve rounded this off to 500 calories, which is about 20 percent of the total calories eaten daily by the average overweight woman.
BobApjok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Well, I just finished reading the book. Glad i did. some things i didnt agree with (such as the atkins unhealthy fat stuff) but going to give it a go. one other thing i did find was this (under the down day strategies for staying on track):

• Exercise: Intense or prolonged physical activity can affect your down-day calorie requirement. For example, slow jogging for one mile (which takes most people about 20 minutes) burns about 100 calories, allowing you to add 100 calories to your down-day intake.

Also figured out that my number is not 677, that was using light exercise. i recalcutated using the lowest one to be safe and it came out to 583.

Now just have to stop on the way home and pick up some shakes for the DD and off I go.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Bob! I'm excited to have man here! It will be nice to see a male's perspective on JUDDD. You're so lucky that you can eat nearly 700 calories on DD.

I was skeptical at first about eating whatever I wanted and still losing weight too, at first. Now, I eat pizza, mexican, cookies, cake, you name it. LOVE this WOE!!

LOL, i just noticed that "lucky" part, but that just means i am much fatter
Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Well, from reading other's posts who are a lot smaller than I am, our appetites don't necessarily decrease with our size. If so, we wouldn't have gotten to where we are! Therefore, yes you are lucky.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

You are exactly right. Just struck me as funny. Most of my eating is strictly for enjoyment anyway. I just love the taste of food. not a matter of hunger. To me, it's mostly like any other activity, watching a movie, hanging out, sports, it's just fun to eat. An enjoyable part of life, but unfortuntely, that enjoyment begins to hinder other enjoyments like playing sports so I have to start restricting that aspect.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
JUDDD does a good job of teaching you to eat when hungry. It really does make you aware of all the times you have eaten out of boredom or just "wanting something". Your body will definitely let you know on DD's that you have restricted "needed" calories lol. Sometimes we find that it stops the mindless eating even on UD's.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Juddd also helps you to identify what foods you really like(for me it's seafood, steaks,thai cuisine, indian food and super delicious desserts). It helps to keep you from eating the things that are just ok to you(for me, that's like cheetos, breads, so-so desserts, store bought cookies, etc).When your UD comes around, you're not going to waste it on that so-so stuff. But, unlike Atkins-you can have all of your favorite things. It's up to you how conscious you want to be about certain food groups and foods.
You can really eat for pleasure on JUDDD.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
A lot of women post, but their husbands (DH, darling or dear husbands) are on the plan, or a version of it (I've read a few guys just fast 2 or 3 days a week).

My husband is about 6'3", 42yrs old, and I think he just hit somewhere in the 280's... He has about 600-700 on his DDs (basically, a protein shake at some point, and then the ~500 cal meal I make for myself and for him.
I think his up days are more like 3000.... we check the calculator (at the 20% level, no exercise) every 10-15lbs for him.

you're not alone!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
20% versus 500 calories

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobApjok View Post
Thanks,

I started reading the book a few hours ago. ive read 1/3 of it so far, 6 chapters. definitely interesting. ive read the chapter named "starting the alternate-day diet" which makes no mention of 500 cal, just says use 20%. The induction phase chapter is coming up so im assuming thats where i will find that.
Hey Bob!

So the reason there is the "500 calorie" thing is because, for most of us, our DD number from the calculator is BELOW 500. So Dr. J said its ok to go up to 500 calories during the first 2 weeks because most people would look at their calculated DD number and freak out.

As you've probably read in a lot of the "newbie" threads here, it gets easier and easier (mostly) with each DD. So after 2 weeks at 500, its not as big a deal to then drop down to your calculated number which is your actual 20%. Part of the reason it gets easier is that it takes about 2 weeks for the SIRTs to build up to high enough levels in your system to really start to get the appetite suppression as well has having them hang around on UDs to continue to work their magic. (If you page through the "February Newbies Chat Here" thread, you'll see a post where I copied & pasted some of the science behind the SIRT that I borrowed from one of Nancy's previous posts.)

For you specifically, since your 20% is higher than 500, you should be fine during "induction" to hit your DD target. The magic of JUDDD comes from the swing, the dramatic difference in your UD/DD calories, so the lower you can go on your DDs the better - many of us have many DDs where we don't hit our upper limit target - this is GREAT! You do want to be careful that you don't go too far over on your UDs, however, because too much indulgence can lead to stall or gain.

One thing I did when I was just getting started, to help wrap my mind around the numbers, was average them. The calculator says 440 DD and 1900 UD. So I figured an average at 1170 calories per day ON AVERAGE. Very similar to many of the calorie restricting diets that start women out at 1200 calories per day but, in my opinion, with more flexibility, freedom, faster weight loss and a better understanding of how my body works.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.

Last edited by Yennie; 02-19-2013 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: inability to type :/
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
!
It sounds like your off to a great start.

If you want even more to read I linked this for you
Best JUDDD Threads
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
If you decide to add more carbs in there might be some water weight. Don't panic......as your body gets used to carbs again it will even out. I added carrots, apples, potatoes, berries, etc. things I call healthy carbs and adds some variety from strict Atkins.

You should do great!
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
The book is sort of the starting point. There are large sections of it - like the LC stuff - that sound to me like an editor telling Dr J to include this-n-that...or he was still in learning about alternate WOEs mode.

Someone here managed to contact him in 2012 and they discussed how well JUDDD and LC support each other.

In the last 14 or 15 months a lot of IF/very low calorie studies have been published - the science behind JUDDD sky rocketed. I encourage you to check out some of the links in The Benefits thread and do some research on your own (then, tell us!).

If you like studying, you might check out The Perfect Health Diet. The nice thing about JUDDD is it is a framework within which many WOEs fit neatly (or can be jammed).

Yep, we have a few gents who post here. And many of us have gents who are JUDDDing with great success...but are not so chatty. Sad, we learn and benefit from sharing many POVs.

Welcome!!!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Thanks again everyone. This has been very helpful. Made it through day 1, unfortunately i started on a DD yet gained 2 lbs, but i plan to go through the two weeks at least and give it a chance. Still going LC today, but my plan would be to add the things back slowly like the higher carb fruits eventually.

yesterday wasnt too bad, definitely hungry, but nothing i couldnt stand. bought some shakes and then some low cal stuff like strawberries and green beans, so i am ready to go. should have a good idea of how this works in a week or 2.

I was a little thrown by his apparent denigration of Atkins because i think the science behind LC is very convincing, but that is beside the point.

i do really appreciate all the encouragement and info provided here. made me really excited to start.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Great job on completing your first DD. Most people start out with an UD so they can have the energy they need for their down day so its impressive you were able to do it right out of the gate.

I also don't agree with the book about low carb. I think in general its healthier for us and a great way to eat. However, I eat at a much higher carb level now than I did before (adding fruits and vegetables back in was amazing!!) with even the occassional carb bing and still am dropping the weight in a faster way than LC alone ever did for me. Its a great plan in addition to any other style of eating and I hope you have nothing but success with it.

PS My husband is on JUDDD with me and has lost over 100 pounds from 6'2 and 360 lbs to 258 lbs and he really doesn't have a hard time at all, often going up to 700-800 calories on some DD's and still losing weight.

Last edited by brewstate; 02-20-2013 at 05:31 AM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

That is encouraging brew, low carb had always worked for me, i went from 365 to 249 then up to 400 after quitting and back to 250, then got back up to 300 and now it still works, but very very slowly, so i thought this might mix it up some.

it was easy to start on a DD really because since i have been doing atkins, all the previous days were really UD anyway. Luckily, i hadnt eaten my usual breakfast of eggs and sausage so i was able to start. One thing that is really nice about this is that you can always tell yourself you can eat it tomorrow.

will be nice to maybe eat grapes or bananas and stuff like that again.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

One more thing. How do you handle a situation where your UP and DD dont match up with some event. For instance, if i have a work lunch next friday, but based on alternating days i would be up this friday, but down next friday. is there an appropriate way to line these events up. I have to assume these types of things happen all the time since weeks are 7 days long and therefore the days change each week. Do you do 2 UP in a row or 2 DD in a row to fix it?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Bob, this does happen all the time. You have a few choices:

1. Roll with it, and keep to your rotations (very tough to do!)
2. Do 2 UDs in a row, and then continue on with rotations. 2 DDs are not recommended, as you can make your body go into starvation mode, but some have done it with success.
3. Do a MD (medium day) which is 60% on the calculator, or halfway between your UD and DD cals.

Personally, I have trouble with MDs and am really unhappy on them, so I do 2 UDs in a row when those situations come up. Fortunately for me, they have only come up a few times since I started in September. I think if they happen too often, you can really slow down your results.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

For me, I just stick to rotations, and have a salad w/lite dressing. And maybe some protein. Water with lemon.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Bob,
I'm having my first big event on a DD today and I've been thinking a lot about how to handle it.
I'm doing some potato stuff to tweak, which I don't recommend for you yet (wait until you've been JUDDDing for at least 2 weeks before you start throwing in tweaks like potato hacks!), but essentially my special event meal is going to be all that I'm eating today. I am not going to eat everything simply because its there. Probably pass on the bread, and won't eat all the dessert simply because it is in front of me. So I'll likely go over my limit but not out of control. Then start back up the rotation tomorrow.
2 UDs or using a MD is, as far as I can tell, the best way to flip the rotations. 2 DDs, while temping, are actually counter productive!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Just for the record, if you choose to use a MD, the rotation would be:
DD
MD
UD
DD
etc

you'd not likely want to go the other way, b/c you always want to go into a DD after an UD, so that you are well fed, and not opening yourself up to greater hunger/weakness/temptation.

S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

dont have anything yet coming up but just wondered. kinda figured it wouldnt be 2 DD but thought i would check. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
It's good to think about what you'll do, because this will come up. I've tried different things in my 7 months on JUDDD. At first, I just stuck to rotations and found a way to keep to about 500 calories. Now, I'm more likely to either do a higher down day (like 35% calories ... I usually do this by making the event my only meal of the day and choosing wisely), or just recently I tried two up days in a row. It all depends on the situation. I had one successful MD, but overall I don't really like them.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Thanks. Good to know there are some options. Plus, after thinking about it, if i stick with the low carb 2 UD in a row wouldnt hurt as it would still be low carb and that is what i was doing before trying this method anyway.