Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   5:2 Diet? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/797324-5-2-diet.html)

Skinjob 02-17-2013 10:11 AM

5:2 Diet?

Hi all - I have been JUDDDing for over a year now with little to no success. The only reason I keep doing it is because at least I'm not gaining. Been seeing other JUDDDers posting about how maybe EOD IF is just too hard on a woman's body and they are trying 5:2. Has anyone gone from JUDDD to 5:2. Do you eat at all on your 2 fast days? Is it working for you? Getting major diet fatigue here not eating half the time and seeing no results (no thyroid problems, bloodwork normal, no meds byt he way).

Carly 02-17-2013 10:31 AM

I switch to just 3 DDs- MWF, but very slowly my weight is creeping up so I may go back to eod rotations. I don't like the gradual trend I'm seeing with just 3 fixed DDs. I think others are doing well though. I have also been unusually hungry which is uncommon for me. Not really sure what's going on for me, but I think just having 2 UDs in a row is not agreeing with me right now.

mojocat 02-17-2013 11:58 AM

Skinjob - Wow great job doing it for a year! I hope you can find some way to tweak it to work for you (wish Dr J was still around to ask).

Carly - Ouch this is what worries me - will we have to be on the alternative day rotation forever and will we end up with diet fatigue. (Again wish Dr J was still around and researching).

jaymar 02-17-2013 12:23 PM

I have looked at your info, Carly, and you took off a month and did maintenence, I think it says....well...that's a great idea..I mean for a person who is at goal...but what I didn't understand was...did you continue having dd's during the month, or did you just kind of hold steady...the reason I was wondering is because you did lose like 70 lbs..even with taking that month off.
and that is totally amazing success..what I do is mess up on my dd's..and try to do two in a row..and that seems to slow me down even more..maybe I make it more complicated than I need to..but..I am easily confused.:stars::

sunday 02-17-2013 12:37 PM

I am going to move to 5:2 hopefully in the next couple of weeks, with the 8 hour window. I am doing 8 hour window and seeing great success in reigning my cravings, so this may work for some of you. I haven't weighed yet, but plan to tomorrow. I am not a daily weigher. :p

JUDDD works well for me in the beginning and if I had taken more maintenance breaks, but then it stalls. Not sure why, but PHD believes that your weight won't budge if you have infection or malnourished. Seems to have been what could be happening to me.

Skinjob, I remember your dilema, but can't imagine what the deal is with you? You are not close to goal weight either? I think Dr. Johnson may be reached through his practice, but I have yet to try that.

Carly 02-17-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymar (Post 16264190)
I have looked at your info, Carly, and you took off a month and did maintenence, I think it says....well...that's a great idea..I mean for a person who is at goal...but what I didn't understand was...did you continue having dd's during the month, or did you just kind of hold steady...the reason I was wondering is because you did lose like 70 lbs..even with taking that month off.
and that is totally amazing success..what I do is mess up on my dd's..and try to do two in a row..and that seems to slow me down even more..maybe I make it more complicated than I need to..but..I am easily confused.:stars::

The month of December was a maintenance break for me. From 12/5- 12/23 I did DDs only M,W,F and 12/24-1/1/13 I fasted till dinner and than ate what ever I pleased- no counting. I started the month at about 136 and ended the month at 137.7
Not bad since from 12/24/12-1/1/13 I didn't do rotations and probably ate close to 1,300 on most of those days and a few days maybe more.

And then since January came in I lost another 11 or so pounds, but a couple have snuck on so I think when TOM is over and I see what I'm weighing I will go back to rotations eod- for now.

2 DDs is not a good idea. It can really slow down weight loss from what others say.

mom23kids 02-17-2013 02:32 PM

I'm interested in 5:2 for maintanance but haven't started yet. I did play around with it for a week, last month, and i lost 1.5lbs :)

Librarygirl 02-17-2013 05:20 PM

I did five UD's last month and after 2 DD's I reached a new low. I wonder if sometimes eod, for some people, causes the dreaded starvation mode? I am sticking to eod for now though, strict, for a while to see if I can at least reach my Feb. goal which will be 1.6 lbs down from my lowest so far.

sunday 02-17-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16264647)
I did five UD's last month and after 2 DD's I reached a new low. I wonder if sometimes eod, for some people, causes the dreaded starvation mode? I am sticking to eod for now though, strict, for a while to see if I can at least reach my Feb. goal which will be 1.6 lbs down from my lowest so far.

I noticed the same. In my case, I was falling into the trap of not getting enough nutrition in on UDs and this can be a problem as Nancy told me it happened to her. My decision is that I will focus on staying well nourished then try going back on the IF while keeping the daily fast and eating PHD. I may be the one JUDDDer that it really does matter what I eat on both days, counting calories was great to start with, but failed me as I went longer term. Now I wish I had done more maintenance breaks. :(

Interestingly, when I changed the type of foods I ate, my cals stayed low, but I can tell that I am nourished and weight is beginning to budge. So, this just shows the saying, "it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you rotate" doesn't always hold true for the longer term fasters. I believe that some of us should take a break, and if possible every couple of months. You can still fast but not at such low cal levels.

Librarygirl 02-18-2013 04:42 AM

Sunday, I think I fall into that trap of eating too many high caloric foods on my UD's about twice a week. Therefore, I'm overeating. Consequently, too many calories = stalls and gains. When I took 5 days off, I ate less. I think it was because I knew I wouldn't be fasting every other day and didn't feel the need to fit every treat in.:dunno:

sunday 02-18-2013 05:22 AM

I posted a thread about Maintenance & JUDDD and was hoping to see that even if I stuck to the extra low cals for now that when I do eventually make it to goal, I can go to normal eating as Dr. J recommends. Which in my case, would still only be 1200 cals daily, but my maintenance numbers should be 1600/800.

So, after reading and reading the Perfect Health plan, I truly believe I may have messed up when I switched to NK (High fat/Mod Prot) for a period while JUDDD, because I wasn't eating a good dose of veggies/starches and lost my weight loss momentum. HFMP is good for short term, possibly, but in my case, it threw me into more malnourishment. Then with my body malnourished I tried to go back to just rotating and eating well, and frankly it felt like my metabolism was not going to budge. I hope to get the body nourished well enough to do 5:2 and will go back to JUDDD when I have that working well.

Also, my addrenals have been taxed with the 950 cals per day of essentially low or non-nutrition. I am beginning to notice that I feel a lot better and hope to keep it up! :)

Sammyann 02-18-2013 09:43 AM

I've been doing 5:2 for 3 weeks for maintenance. I don't think it would work for me for weight loss. I'm maintaning between 136-139lbs. I aim for 500 calorie down days and am not counting on the other days.

I think you should give it a try for a week or two. If you start gaining you can just go back to EOD rotations.

KeirasMom 02-18-2013 06:08 PM

I've been doing 5:2 for a few weeks and have been maintaining beautifully, even losing a little. That being said, I've been out of town for 3 days with free eating and overeating, so I fully expect my weigh-in tomorrow morning to be dismal.

I did very well on straight rotations, but I was true to my UD calories as well as my DD calories and lost over 100 pounds. When I felt diet fatigue, I took maintenance breaks, still following rotations, just at a higher DD calorie level. I think it's important to listen to your body and if you're not feeling well following EOD fasting, mix it up.

My current 5:2 plan is done using my calculated UD numbers from Dr. Johnson's website, and less than 500 calories on my Tuesday/Friday DDs.

soon 02-18-2013 06:54 PM

ok ladies please explain what 5:2 is? and EOD? How have I been on this board and never heard these terms?

Shari4 02-18-2013 10:27 PM

soon, EOD is every other day(like JUDDD). And 5:2 is still IF(intermittent fasting); but, you eat normal calories on 5 days of the week & then, low fasting calories on the other 2 days. I bought the book about it & am still trying to decide if that's what I want to do now that I've reached goal.

adillenal 02-19-2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shari4 (Post 16266854)
soon, EOD is every other day(like JUDDD). And 5:2 is still IF(intermittent fasting); but, you eat normal calories on 5 days of the week & then, low fasting calories on the other 2 days. I bought the book about it & am still trying to decide if that's what I want to do now that I've reached goal.

Shari - I tried it last weekend (three UD's in a row preceeded and followed by a DD)and I now have 4 pounds to lose AGAIN. Maybe after being at my lowest weight for several months it might work for me, Just a heads up in case you decide to give it a go. Plus it made me dread the DD's which I have never had an issue with before. I am back to UD/DD rotations and plan to conitnue what has worked so well for me. :dunno: I think the habit of UD/DD is pretty ingrained with me now and a total change got me confused plus I then had to plan more. Plus I probably should have only had two UD's in a row but JUDDD is working for me so I will stick to it.
I did two UD's in a row when I was traveling in January but I had a no food at all DD after them plus drank very little due to being on the road and dropped weight. Then three days later bounced up. Weightloss is so odd at times.

dazygyrl 02-19-2013 05:57 AM

i am planning that once i get my head in this and really get serious (meaning, i'm not tracking on UDs and know they are too high, but am maintaining...need to lose 20) and get to maintenance one day, to do a maintenance schedule of 2 UDs, 1 DD rotation...i just don't think it would be good for me to do more than two UDs in a row.

sunday 02-19-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazygyrl (Post 16267097)
i am planning that once i get my head in this and really get serious (meaning, i'm not tracking on UDs and know they are too high, but am maintaining...need to lose 20) and get to maintenance one day, to do a maintenance schedule of 2 UDs, 1 DD rotation...i just don't think it would be good for me to do more than two UDs in a row.

I like this idea, and have even thought doing MUD, where instead of doing 2 up one would be mid, so for me it would look like 800/1600/500. This actually avgs at 942 daily. :dunno:

Shari4 02-19-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 16266943)
Shari - I tried it last weekend (three UD's in a row preceeded and followed by a DD)and I now have 4 pounds to lose AGAIN. Maybe after being at my lowest weight for several months it might work for me, Just a heads up in case you decide to give it a go. Plus it made me dread the DD's which I have never had an issue with before. I am back to UD/DD rotations and plan to conitnue what has worked so well for me. :dunno: I think the habit of UD/DD is pretty ingrained with me now and a total change got me confused plus I then had to plan more. Plus I probably should have only had two UD's in a row but JUDDD is working for me so I will stick to it.
I did two UD's in a row when I was traveling in January but I had a no food at all DD after them plus drank very little due to being on the road and dropped weight. Then three days later bounced up. Weightloss is so odd at times.

Adi, my behavior in the past is to stop dieting when I'm tired of it. I've never made it to goal before so this is new to me! But, with JUDDD, I don't really want to stop EOD eating. I'm thinking if I want to maintain, I'll just increase my DD calories. If I have an UUAD, I can go to my lowest DD calories when necessary. I know I've read some people want to be able to stop EOD eating when they reach goal. I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable with that. I guess I should have spent more time thinking/reading about maintenance before I made goal! :dunno: Anyway, I'll get it all figured out sooner or later. Maybe I'll just try a few things & see what works for me?

Shari4 02-19-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16267518)
I like this idea, and have even thought doing MUD, where instead of doing 2 up one would be mid, so for me it would look like 800/1600/500. This actually avgs at 942 daily. :dunno:

Sunday, this is a thought! If you decide to do this, let me know how it works? I'm curious to see how 800/1600/500/800/1600/500/800 works. By my calculations, for a week like this it averages 917 a day? Seems pretty low?:dunno:

dazygyrl 02-19-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16267518)

well, that would constitute tracking/counting :o and it's my goal to maintain without doing that....so that's why i would just be 'normal' for two days and only track on DD's

mom23kids 02-19-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shari4 (Post 16267704)
Adi, my behavior in the past is to stop dieting when I'm tired of it. I've never made it to goal before so this is new to me! But, with JUDDD, I don't really want to stop EOD eating. I'm thinking if I want to maintain, I'll just increase my DD calories. If I have an UUAD, I can go to my lowest DD calories when necessary. I know I've read some people want to be able to stop EOD eating when they reach goal. I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable with that. I guess I should have spent more time thinking/reading about maintenance before I made goal! :dunno: Anyway, I'll get it all figured out sooner or later. Maybe I'll just try a few things & see what works for me?

I was one who wanted to stop eod when i went into maintanance, but now that i'm here, i'm finding myself reluctulant to get away from eod rotations :dunno: i may play around with higher calorie dds with an eod schedule for a while, see how it goes, and then try less dds?

sunday 02-19-2013 01:25 PM

Shari, I am very loosely JUDDD right now, because I fast daily 16 hours. So, I feel like my sirt-1 is all that matters and I am still CRON. Does this make sense? I think I will move the mid day number to 1,000, because 917 is too low.

Sara & Dazy, I am not tracking at all. :lol: I am sick to death of logging and tracking. :p I am just guesstimating. Now that I eat PHD plan, I really don't gain or bounce much. I am seeing a downward trend with the scale, with minimal bounce and more of a steady down. Hopefully, I will continue to lose. Except for once a week, we go out to eat at a fun restaurant and I will track on that day just because I don't want to have any crazy surprises.

sunday 02-19-2013 01:29 PM

Shari,
I would like to have a relaxing maintenance, so I won't count/log. Keep weighing and if I notice pants feeling snug then weigh. I guess the way I feel about maintenance is that it shouldn't have to be a job. :huh:

mom23kids 02-19-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16268153)
Shari, I am very loosely JUDDD right now, because I fast daily 16 hours. So, I feel like my sirt-1 is all that matters and I am still CRON. Does this make sense? I think I will move the mid day number to 1,000, because 917 is too low.

Sara & Dazy, I am not tracking at all. :lol: I am sick to death of logging and tracking. :p I am just guesstimating. Now that I eat PHD plan, I really don't gain or bounce much. I am seeing a downward trend with the scale, with minimal bounce and more of a steady down. Hopefully, I will continue to lose. Except for once a week, we go out to eat at a fun restaurant and I will track on that day just because I don't want to have any crazy surprises.

I've spent all day crunching numbers/calories and thinking about how i want to handle maintanance. I finally asked myself what is my ideal woe, if i did'nt have to worry about gaining weight. I surprised myself by first answering that i wished i ate healthier :eek: where did that come from?! Lol. My next thought was NO.MORE.COUNTING. :laugh: Counting calories has definitley served it's purpose, but i want to move past that as much as possible now. I think i may try the 8 hour window plan 6 days a week, and then have 1 500 calorie dd a week to have a checks and balance in place. I also want to start eating more veggies (right now i eat almost none), and then start eating blueberries a few times a week since they're supposed to be so good for you :) maybe do a green smootbie everyday to open my eating window? I think i'm going to try it for a couple weeks and see what happens :) ok, i need to stop obsessing about maintanance :o

Shari4 02-19-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Yes, it does make sense! And, those #'s look a bit more do-able. Keep us posted! :heart:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16267844)
I was one who wanted to stop eod when i went into maintanance, but now that i'm here, i'm finding myself reluctulant to get away from eod rotations :dunno: i may play around with higher calorie dds with an eod schedule for a while, see how it goes, and then try less dds?

Who would have thought in the beginning that we'd be here debating how to do maintenance!?? :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16268164)
Shari,
I would like to have a relaxing maintenance, so I won't count/log. Keep weighing and if I notice pants feeling snug then weigh. I guess the way I feel maintenance is that it shouldn't have to be a job. :huh:

I guess I'm so new at this that the thought of not counting scares me!! :eek: I'll work on that!

Shari4 02-19-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16268215)
I've spent all day crunching numbers/calories and thinking about how i want to handle maintanance. I finally asked myself what is my ideal woe, if i did'nt have to worry about gaining weight. I surprised myself by first answering that i wished i ate healthier :eek: where did that come from?! Lol. My next thought was NO.MORE.COUNTING. :laugh: Counting calories has definitley served it's purpose, but i want to move past that as much as possible now. I think i may try the 8 hour window plan 6 days a week, and then have 1 500 calorie dd a week to have a checks and balance in place. I also want to start eating more veggies (right now i eat almost none), and then start eating blueberries a few times a week since they're supposed to be so good for you :) maybe do a green smootbie everyday to open my eating window? I think i'm going to try it for a couple weeks and see what happens :) ok, i need to stop obsessing about maintanance :o

We were posting at the same time!! This sounds like a plan, Sara! Let us know how it goes?:hugs:

sunday 02-19-2013 02:14 PM

Ha, I know it sounds nutty, but when you have JUDDD for a year, your instinct guides about where you land on calories even when you don't count or log. So, even though I say I am tired of counting, I am cycling whether intentionally or habitually. :dunno:

Skinjob 02-22-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

I can relate to being sick of tracking and counting, especially after a year of losing and gaining the same 7 lbs. It's not really working for me unfortunately. I wish it were because I have been able to stick to it! A reward would be nice. I might look into PHD. Keep us informed on your progress.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm nervous that 5:2 would make me gain after restricting EOD for a year. I have 20 lbs to lose. Not a lot but it's a lot on my frame!

Shari4 02-22-2013 01:23 PM

Feb.18---144.4----UD----GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2510
Feb.19---146.4----DD----too much celebrating yesterday! :/...525 calories
Feb.20---145.0----UD----turned into an UUAD!! :( 2182 calories
Feb.21---146.6----DD----645 calories
Feb.22---144.8----UD----1600 calories planned

So, I've decided to keep with EOD. According to dr. j's calculator, my Dd's can be between 698-930. The lowest is 45% WL. The higher numbers are maintenance numbers. So, it looks like I'm staying in the 45% level. But, I know that I can go higher if I need to. I don't think my numbers or weight is too bad; considering my UD's have been so high! They need to be around 1550-1600. I hope it stays like this!! :up: