Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #151
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
So I'm confused . I thought that JUDDD eventually causes the SIRT1 gene to kick in which brings a sense of calm, easier rotations, less hunger and so on. It seems here that for some of vets eventually JUDDD stalls, stops working, people have trouble with hunger and are switching to 5:2. This is supposed to get easier not harder. Why would this be happening if the gene has kicked in? Are the effects of this gene overrated, exaggerated or is it merely short-lived?
I find the DDs effortless. I have huge appetite control and great engery with a constant (most of the time ) calm. This is another reason I'm afraid of 5:2. I know my SIRTs are flowing and I'm terrified to stop that. I'm anxiously reading to see how everyone likes it, but I could countine JUDDDing this way as long as need be. (3:4 fixed DDs in manintenance.)
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Hello everyone! I hope you don't mind if I join in.

I am doing 5:2 also and enjoy reading your posts.
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #153
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm choosing to explore other options, and I think it's a great testament to JUDDD that I'm trying 5:2, which I call JUDDD light, since it's still JUDDD just with fewer DDs. If I wasn't such a believer in JUDDD, I would have gone to every day maintenance calories. I love that I have the option of 5:2, or if I feel like it, I can go back to EOD JUDDD, but with higher DDs, or I can keep my DDs low EOD and have wild UDs. It feels like, within the JUDDD framework or at least within the IF framework, there are so many options available to us. I'm probably rambling, so I'll leave it there.
I love this. Looking down the road to my own maintenance, I think 5:2 or even 6:1 some weeks would be so freeing. I definitely want to keep the health benefits and sirts intact. "JUDDD light" is a great way to put it, Dawn. In my mind, all IF variations revolve around JUDDD.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #154
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
I've been reading Fast Diet by Dr. Mosley today. A very interesting read, too! I don't want to throw a wrench in everything..........but, he says to not count your regular days!! Only count the fast days; because it's the fasting days that do the changes in our bodies as well as helping us to lose weight if we need to. He thinks we don't need the pressure of counting every calorie we eat on regular days. Also, when we reach goal or just a bit under it, we can go to only 1 fasting day a week. Wow! I'm not sure I'm ready to stop counting my UD's. I'm with Dawn & Carly......if a lose another 10 pounds or so, it wouldn't bother me a bit? Plus, Dr. Mosley doesn't know me........I can eat a bajillion calories before I begin to feel full! Not often like I used to(tho I haven't done it in a while).

Any one else reading his book have anything to comment on? I would love to hear what you all think?
I totally agree with you all!! If I don't count I start out great but eventually start to eat way too much. My brain just overrides the "you are full" and I continue to eat. When I know how much I have eaten and how much more I can eat I do wonderfully well. After a while it just becomes second nature, and after that I still need to "check in" and count on some UDs, but not everyday. For now I am counting until I get a handle on what my UDs should look like.

I only gained .6 pounds from yesterday's RD/UD and I'm really happy about that. I did watch and came in around 1700+ calories and the weird thing is I couldn't eat "the whole thing" of anything I ate yesterday, just got very full very quickly! I like this!! Now I have to get my brain around "STOP YOU ARE FULL" and not keep eating and all will be GOLDEN!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #155

Quote:
So I'm confused . I thought that JUDDD eventually causes the SIRT1 gene to kick in which brings a sense of calm, easier rotations, less hunger and so on. It seems here that for some of vets eventually JUDDD stalls, stops working, people have trouble with hunger and are switching to 5:2. This is supposed to get easier not harder. Why would this be happening if the gene has kicked in? Are the effects of this gene overrated, exaggerated or is it merely short-lived?
My problem was not that it stopped working but the fact it caused a binging problem for me on my UDs, especially when I stopped counting those UDs. I also got "calorie counting burnout" really bad especially when my life got really with family issues and counting calories was on the bottom of a long list of things I "had" to do. Then I stopped JUDDD altogether but the binging continued in a terrible way! I got it under control and went back to JUDDD in January which awakened the binge monster worse than it was before so I had to stop! Only on 5:2 have I gotten my hunger/binging under control because I don't and over eat thinking that tomorrow is a DD. Tomorrow is NOT a DD but the next day or 2 may be and that's OK for me, it's a mind set that sits well for Linda.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
I will have 3 UDs in a row this week before my DD on Monday - my first week of 5:2. Feels a bit weird and decadent but the scale is steady so far. No gain.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/164/140)65yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Quote:
Mojo, please don't let anything posted on this thread ruin JUDDD for you! I haven't chosen to go to 5:2 because I've stalled. I'm in maintenance & wanted to go to less DD's. I can keep my "fast" days to a low amount & still enjoy my UD's "regular" days. I do count all of my calories & I don't know that I'll ever stop! My sirts are still flowing! Tomorrow will be my first fast day doing 5:2. I'm hoping it will be a smooth as usual. I'll let ya know!

Lot's of good stuff talked about here! Keep it coming!!

I’ve always wanted to be normal, but lately I’ve come to suspect that this is it.
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Quote:
I think ADF in general causes the SIRT1 to activate so if you've already got that well-established with JUDDD, doing fewer DDs as in 5:2 shouldn't be a problem.

People seem to be changing from EOD-fasting JUDDD to 5:2 for two main reasons: 1) because they are at maintainance and are looking for something looser. 2) because they find the strict regime triggers an emotional resistance and causes UUADs

I've done JUDDD pretty loosely at times and it's still worked for me - though fortunately I don't have a problem with UUADs. Maybe UUADs negate the effects of sirtuin? They certainly won't facilitate weight loss no matter what the system.

Dr Johnson noted the beneficial effects of calorie restriction but realised we wouldn't stick to it every day because of the psychological effects. JUDDD was his sustainable solution.

Ultimately, it's about finding what suits you, your body and your temperament. If feeling you have more say in the regime helps you to be more relaxed with it and succeed, that's fantastic!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
Mojo, please don't let anything posted on this thread ruin JUDDD for you! I haven't chosen to go to 5:2 because I've stalled. I'm in maintenance & wanted to go to less DD's. I can keep my "fast" days to a low amount & still enjoy my UD's "regular" days. I do count all of my calories & I don't know that I'll ever stop! My sirts are still flowing! Tomorrow will be my first fast day doing 5:2. I'm hoping it will be a smooth as usual. I'll let ya know!

Lot's of good stuff talked about here! Keep it coming!!
Thank you everyone. It did put a downer on me but I'm OK now (blame it on yesterday's DD on a weekend). I think at some stage I want to incorporate a dinner to dinner fast once a week for the health benefits. I've lost 7lbs in a month and had a bloat free PMS so can't complain. There is still an element of eat on an UD because you can't tomorrow and that bugs me. Been lurking on forums where guys complain of overeating in their 16/8 windows so this is common. I had some scary bingeing episodes before JUDDD and I haven't had one since JUDDD so it's not making it worse, so I'm just going to go with the flow. Anyway UD..time to eat...

Last edited by mojocat; 03-02-2013 at 12:57 PM..
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #160
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I just got burned out on the eod DDs. I can manage the hunger but it's still work, for me. If the pounds were flying off I would stick with eod, no problem. They are not, so I may as well cut it down to 2 DDs for the same effect, less effort. I am experimenting right now and may go back to eod if this doesn't work for weight loss.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

I know Library Girl I've read your posts and I can so feel the frustration of those that follow this without much weight loss. It says so much for the sheer dedication and discipline of the people here who faithfully follow this. How dare mainstream say "eat less exercise more" or think we are lazy, I challenge any of them to faithfully follow EOD as long as some of you have. I truly hope this works for you Library Girl. I think if we all could get a better handle on our UD's this would be the perfect WOE, but we have to keep plugging away.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #162
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
mojo. Well said.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Quote:
I've lost 7lbs in a month and had a bloat free PMS so can't complain.
That's fantastic!!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #164
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
I tried 5:2 for a week and gained 4 pounds so I am going to stick to UD/DD or EOD. I ha ve the rotation too ingrained to try to change something that has and is working for me.Plus I can keep up with EOD. Trying to remember which day is what confused me much like the one MD I tried last year.

I have always been able to do DD's with no problem. No appetite but UD's have always been hard for me to control. still working on that aspect.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #165
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Roberta12
Stats: 285/217/150
WOE: LC, JUDDD, exercising
Start Date: May 1, 2012
I haven't been on for awhile and I'm so glad I went on tonight.

I am having similar problems of no longer losing weight easily. I fell off the wagon for about 2 weeks around the holidays-but other than that, have stayed on track with ADD- but am only losing 1# a week and now my hair has started falling out. This is so discouraging. The only reason I'm staying on this diet is because at least I'm not gaining and it is the only diet that I've ever stayed on so long.

Has anyone else had hair problems? On my down days I try to stay at about 400 calories. I tried switching to only eating in an 8 hour window, but found I was starving by the time I could eat on my up day -and would eat too many calories. Since I work till around 6:30, I was eating between noon and 8:00 pm, after 2 weeks I hadn't lost any weight-because I just ate too much on my up day, cause I was staving.

Help!
Roberta12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Roberta -

the only time my hair fell out was during HCG which makes sense because HCG is a hormone. Could the cause of your hair loss be hormonal?

The only other problem I had with dieting was eye problems due to a lack of oil when I was fasting - lesson learnt.

Adillenal -

Have you ever made weekends an UD/MD and if so what was the result? I would be so much happier if I could have a DD-free weekend but don't want it to slow the weight loss.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #167
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Roberta -

Adillenal -

Have you ever made weekends an UD/MD and if so what was the result? I would be so much happier if I could have a DD-free weekend but don't want it to slow the weight loss.
I only did one MD in the entire time I have been on JUDDD. It messed up my weight loss and it took a couple of weeks to get back to where I started. It just messed up my mind too. I have to do UD/DD rotations it seems. I don't have a problem with DD's. I ccan do them easily, it is the UD's that tend to get away from me.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
People seem to be changing from EOD-fasting JUDDD to 5:2 for two main reasons: 1) because they are at maintainance and are looking for something looser. 2) because they find the strict regime triggers an emotional resistance and causes UUADs
For me, I don't think it's emotional or psychological... from the outset, my body has consistently informed me that, after a DD, it will require two times its ordinary number of calories. I don't blame it!
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #169
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta12 View Post
I haven't been on for awhile and I'm so glad I went on tonight.

I am having similar problems of no longer losing weight easily. I fell off the wagon for about 2 weeks around the holidays-but other than that, have stayed on track with ADD- but am only losing 1# a week and now my hair has started falling out. This is so discouraging. The only reason I'm staying on this diet is because at least I'm not gaining and it is the only diet that I've ever stayed on so long.

Has anyone else had hair problems? On my down days I try to stay at about 400 calories. I tried switching to only eating in an 8 hour window, but found I was starving by the time I could eat on my up day -and would eat too many calories. Since I work till around 6:30, I was eating between noon and 8:00 pm, after 2 weeks I hadn't lost any weight-because I just ate too much on my up day, cause I was staving.

Help!
I had a big issue with hair loss during month 5-8. It has stopped and I even think new hair is growing back. My overall calories may have been too low then. I was shaving 200 off DD- eating 150 and UDs were probably a bit low since at that point the sleepwalk eating was getting better, but I was still limiting what I ate when awake since I wasn't so sure it would last.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, today is my 2nd DD doing 5:2. I started with a DD & then, had 3 UD's. The first 2 UD's were a breeze!! But, yesterday, my mind started playing games with me........tomorrow is a DD....you're starving.......could I get away with more calories?........etc. I did not eat more & managed to "hang in there"! I tell myself this morning that after today, I have 2 UD's & that seems to calm the old brain. For now. I'll report later how my day goes. Here is my weight so far........

Feb.28----145.6..1st DD for 5:2---- Goal is to maintain now.
Mar.1-----144.0----UD----2nd day on 5:2----Wow!! Such a loss after an UD??
Mar.2-----143.8----UD----3rd day on regular eating. I am amazed!
Mar.3-----145.2----DD----2nd DD on 5:2.........bounce!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #171
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Look 5/2 - March 3 - 9, stop on in everyone!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Cindy!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #173

I moved over to the new thread, thanks Cindy for the link!

Only a bounce of 1.2 pounds after a RD/UD weekend and I'm VERY pleased with this!

Seeing the scale go down, slowly, but down and THAT is what I'm looking for!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Vanilla- I am starting tomorrow and will be doing 4:3 first (4 UD, 3 DD) and then alternating it with 5:2 week. Good luck to both of us!
I was thinking of doing the same thing. My body seems to get used to what I'm doing very quickly. Apparently, it will NOT be fooled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
I too would like to read and post right here on JUDDD! Could someone start like a weekly or even a daily 5/2 thread?
So glad to see a thread in our little JUDDD forum has been started!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #175
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Once again, I have eaten nearly all my calories before dinner. I have a high estimate of 600 calories left, if I allow 1700. I've changed my numbers to light exercise, lol, since I am not bed ridden. Yet. Hope I will still lose at this amount, if not there's always ADF!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote