Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
blood glucose/banana help!!

Does anyone know if banana effects blood glucose. I have not gotten a blood glucose monitor yet, so can't test it, but this morning I had half a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter for breakfast, that was about an hour ago, and my heart is racing, my hands are shaky and I feel short of breath. Does anyone have any insight into this?? Could it be the banana?
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
Does anyone know if banana effects blood glucose. I have not gotten a blood glucose monitor yet, so can't test it, but this morning I had half a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter for breakfast, that was about an hour ago, and my heart is racing, my hands are shaky and I feel short of breath. Does anyone have any insight into this?? Could it be the banana?
PJ will know. Bananas are high glycemic. I am so sorry.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know a lot of folks who have bananas for breakfast, but I always try to have it later in the day. I am not banana lover, so I choose berries/apples/citrus over bananas.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Wow, strange reaction! It sounds like you're wondering about hypoglycemia? It kind of sounds like it, but on the other hand it seems like 1/2 banana, with the protein and fat of the PB, isn't a lot of carbs, so I'm not sure? (ETA: 14.5 carbs in 1/2 banana, 2 of them fiber, and the protein/fat of the PB would slow the glycemic response too)

One thread here on the JUDDD boards mentioned increased pulse rate after eating a food can indicate a sensitivity to that food. Maybe you're sensitive/mildly allergic to either bananas or PB. Maybe try them individually? Hope you find the cause.

Last edited by calichris; 02-17-2013 at 09:38 AM..
calichris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Clueless, tex, but I was wondering what Chris was about a nut or banana allergy. Are you having other symptoms of hypoglycemia that have you concerned?
Flutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

No, I didn't even know these were symptoms of hypoglycemia! I was more worried about the opposite, elevated blood sugar, lol. Idk! Thank you for the responses, it is slowly getting better I think:-)
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm pretty sure banana's have quite a lot of sugar. I really like them, but I rarely eat them, because they will still spike my BG.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Hope you feel better soon, Sher...I also think bananas are pretty high in sugar..they only let diabetics have a half of one a day, and that's usually when they are already taking insulin..A couple of times I have had what I'd call a reaction..sounds similar to what you're having....when I first tried the potato day...it took me about 3 times to get thru one day of potatoes. I do have one question for you, tho...how many hours had it been since you'd eaten anything?
sometimes I will go over my hours, and then when I eat get a little shaky..
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I hadn't eaten for about 12 hours and then I ate the half banana and peanut butter and started having the symptoms within a half an hour.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
I had the same symptoms when I tried the potato hack and I assumed it was a hypo reaction. The pulse rate info sounds interesting. I know I get an increased pulse rate after certain foods - I will start taking notice when this happens. So much info on this forum
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Sher, do you normally go 12 hours between eating?...I have had a few situations that I'd never had before starting Juddd, especially with the potato hack...and maybe what I did wasn't smart...but I kept trying it, and then it didn't bother me anymore...I know a person has to pay attention if something causes a BS problem..so do what you think is best....Today I have a problem with running to the ladies room...Im not even drinking anything since coffee this morning..so..I know by reading here that some of the other ladies have had that "water" problem from time to time...I tend to think it's my body adjusting..
Good luck to you..hope you have a better day..
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
It will be interesting to see, when you get your glucose monitor, if you're really hypoglycemic when you feel like that. I had a PDD and felt shaky, tested my BG and it was 72.
You can look up the glycemic index of foods online - and while I realize each person is individual that might help you figure out your reaction.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Not to be a scare monger, but you can develop allergies at any time during your life, even if it's a food you've eaten for years.
Be careful, if you are developing a peanut allergy, they can be very bad.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Being diabetic bananas are not good I may have one a year and I cut it into slices and will nurse it all day,, Peanut butter is not always the best but a bg reading will help some peeps can tolerate it. Was wandering if u have been taking ibuprophen recently?? My daughter a nurse getting her masters in nurse practioning told me ibuprophen is not good for the heart she made me switch to acetamiophin the lesser of 2 evils I couldnt find it last nite so I took the ibu my heart started racing shortly thereafter.
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Thx for reminding me of that Dottie:-)
Soon, i haven't been taking anything at all. Also,the weird thing is, I don't even like bananas. I buy them for the family, and have to force myself to eat one. And literally have maybe 1 or 2 a year. But today I was really wanting one, and right now I am craving one too. It's strange.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sher, Could it be the potassium? Are you getting enough potassium in your diet?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday I think so, I eat spinach, tomatoes and last night I had an huge portabella mushroom. I'm going to try a banana again nest weekend, by itself and see what happens, then I will do the same w/peanut butter, and I am also going to buy a BG monitor.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Not positive, but I believe bananas are one of the fruits that really spike blood sugar. I know when my doctor told me I was hypo glyc (sp?) to steer clear of bananas. I love bananas though. Especially on a peanut butter sandwich. Hope that helps!
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
I have severe hypoglycemia and for that reason I never touch bananas. They would cause my blood sugar to crash very quickly.
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

that is interesting JM and Zipp. Lately I have been worried about having too high blood glucose numbers, and now it seems possible that i may have too low? (of course nothing scientific yet on the possible too low, just the banana reaction)
It confuses me, what does it mean if you have both intermittently? lol
I have to go get a monitor and just stop talking about it!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
that is interesting JM and Zipp. Lately I have been worried about having too high blood glucose numbers, and now it seems possible that i may have too low? (of course nothing scientific yet on the possible too low, just the banana reaction)
It confuses me, what does it mean if you have both intermittently? lol
I have to go get a monitor and just stop talking about it!
They actually can go together ... there's something called reactive hypoglycemia or postprandial hypoglycemia. It's when the blood sugar goes too high, so the body overcompensates with insulin, and it then goes too low. It used to happen to me frequently, but usually when I ate something like a pastry and nothing else. I'd get that shaky, clammy feel and was desperate for carbs.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

yes, that is how i felt, like i should eat something else, like a sandwich or something bread-y. but I didn't because i thought it would make it worse.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Sorry I am a little late to the thread!

Sher, were you in the thread when I recommended choosing a meter based on the cost of test strips? I use the Relion Prime from WalMart. It's pretty reliable/consistent and the strips are the cheapest that I have found anywhere.

Quote:
yes, that is how i felt, like i should eat something else, like a sandwich or something bread-y. but I didn't because i thought it would make it worse.
That was a good call not to eat more carbs. It can set you on a blood-sugar roller coaster. Spike from the food, crash from the insulin, second spike from either eating again or your body responding to the low blood sugar (releasing glycogen stored in the liver or muscles), crash, spike, crash, spike, etc all day long!!! Also, carbs can affect your blood sugar for up to 4-5 hours after eating...they can "stabilize" it if you choose "slow carbs" AND your body handles carbs well, or they can have a cumulative effect if you keep eating every 2-3 hours (which people with reactive hypoglycemia often do).

Quote:
I hadn't eaten for about 12 hours and then I ate the half banana and peanut butter and started having the symptoms within a half an hour.
My gut feeling (for whatever that's worth) is that you have a food sensitivity. High blood sugar often doesn't have any immediate symptoms like elevated heartrate. I might feel exhausted and need a nap about 60-90 minutes after eating carbs or sugar, or start urinating more frequently a few hours later, but I rarely feel anything immediately. (Other people may have different experiences, of course.)

I have experienced an elevated heartrate after large or carby meals, but I think I've narrowed that down to wheat. I can't think of a typical party or restaurant meal I've eaten that didn't include wheat (except some Mexican food), so I can't be 100% certain which it was (carbs or wheat), but I stopped eating wheat recently and other carbs don't seem to affect me as strongly.

It takes about 45 minutes for my blood sugar to spike and another 30-45 minutes for me to "crash", if I eat something carby. So for you to have a reaction in 30 minutes implies (IMO) that it might not blood sugar related....unless the banana spiked your BG in 10-15 minutes and then your insulin kicked in immediately. I suppose it's possible! Personally I am unconvinced that fat and/or protein slow down my digestion of carbs. "Everybody" says that, but I always seems to spike around 45 minutes.

Obviously this is an unusual reaction for you, so it's not just the fact that it had been 12 hours since you ate, or this would happen every time you ate breakfast!
New lows, 2014:
7/25 276.2

Last edited by piratejenny; 02-18-2013 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: punctuation
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks PJ, for all of your info
I am definitely going to get a relion, maybe tonight.
Yes, I often go 12 to even 15 hours without eating. So I do not think that was it.

Last edited by hot-in-texas; 02-18-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

There's a lot of good information here, Sher, please keep us posted on what you find out..I know you just had some blood tests and they turned out ok, if I remember correctly..so..let's hope it's something you can figure out with the help of the meter.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
When you talk about meters are you talking about the ones diabetics use when the prick their finger and place a drop of blood on the strip? How would I use this - would I, say eat an apple, and then test my blood immediately and again at a time afterwards and what kind of results would I be looking for to see if something affects me?
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

yes, that is the kind of meter I am talking about I don't know exactly how to use it. There is another thread that I started called Questions About Blood Glucose(i think that's what it's titled.) and if you can find that thread there is some info there. I know one thing to do, that Pirate Jenny said, is take a test 3 hours after eating, right before bed, and then don't eat anything until morning and test again. This can tell you if your blood sugar is too high. I am going to find that thread too, once i get the meter
Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
They actually can go together ... there's something called reactive hypoglycemia or postprandial hypoglycemia. It's when the blood sugar goes too high, so the body overcompensates with insulin, and it then goes too low. It used to happen to me frequently, but usually when I ate something like a pastry and nothing else. I'd get that shaky, clammy feel and was desperate for carbs.
lots of good info and advice here, so I just wanted to chime in with this is how I felt when I tried the potato hack (I went with hot potato, maybe should've done cold... don't want to threadjack though... ) after not eating all day.

I'm usually fine with a lot of different carbs, but WOW did I feel awful after that potato meal... I think it's the up, which maybe you don't notice, and then the huge CRASH, which you do.

Just wanted you to know you're not alone, I know that feeling exactly!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
When you talk about meters are you talking about the ones diabetics use when the prick their finger and place a drop of blood on the strip? How would I use this - would I, say eat an apple, and then test my blood immediately and again at a time afterwards and what kind of results would I be looking for to see if something affects me?
No, test your blood before you start eating.
Then at intervals.

The first few foods you test, I would check at 15 minutes, 30, 45, 1 hour, 90 minutes, and 2 hours. You might want to test at 3 hours if you are feeling hungry or weird in any way; some foods and sugars (like fructose) can cause a 2nd spike. This seems like a lot but it will give you an idea of when you spike and how quickly your insulin responds. Then you can decide when the most relevant times to test are.

I tend to spike around 45 minutes; if I only test at 60 minutes, my blood sugar will already be going down and I won't see how "badly" a food or meal affected me. If I test 2 hours after eating, my blood sugar may actually be lower than before I ate. That could be reactive hypoglycemia (if I had a spike), or it could be a meal that is good for me (if I had no spike and my BG just went down). I have to test in between to see what's going on.

I hope I didn't repeat myself too much; I've probably said a lot of this stuff in other threads.

Last edited by piratejenny; 02-19-2013 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: punctuation
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been following the blood sugar 101 site suggestion of testing before a meal then one hour after starting the meal and two hours after (a good result according to them is under 140 at the one hour and under 120 at the two hour). But everyone is so different, so I will try Jenny's suggestion too tomorrow (up day). For me, the weird thing is my 2 hour blood sugar is often higher than the one hour, which is really weird. It's supposed to be coming down.

p.s. Jenny, I've seen somewhere a recommendation to count the hour from when you start the meal, so it will be about 45 minutes after the meal when you test?

Last edited by calichris; 02-19-2013 at 02:36 PM..