Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Magnesium

The migraine thread got me curious and looking in to magnesium. I am not big on vitamin/supplements (I get sick to my stomach with most of them), but have been thinking I may be magnesium deficient. SO, I googled and found some magnesium lotion that was supposed to be "gentler" on your skin. I am just curious if anyone's tried the lotions and what it might have helped with?

I saw testimonials that it helped with excema (which I have, as do 2 of my 3 kids) and even maybe acne? People were toting it for their kids with autism, even! (the bath salts) Anyhoo, anyone a fan? What has it helped with?

Flutter is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I take magnesium supplements once or twice a week if I remember, but I have no experience with the lotions or creams.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I posted a youtube video on JUDDD last year by Dr. Mark Hyman that is invaluable info understand the benefits. The list of benefits is rather overwhelming. Mag is amazing! No wonder hospitals use it so frequently to save lives in cases of heart failure or seizures.

Search youtube for ~
Magnesium: The most powerful relaxation mineral available
by Dr. Mark Hyman

We lose magnesium daily from our bodies due to chronic stress and the lifestyle we lead. If you don't eat a lot of nuts, seaweed, etc, you could be depleted. Coffee, sugar, alcohol are the biggest culprits for zapping our bodies of this wonderful nutrient.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 02-17-2013 at 08:56 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Sunday! I didn't think I would be able to take mag for the same Reasons I can't take iron tablets. I was happy to see people touting the lotions and oils as being equally helpful without getting the stomach upset. I will google your suggestions when I am able to get on my PC.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Thanks Sunday! I didn't think I would be able to take mag for the same Reasons I can't take iron tablets. I was happy to see people touting the lotions and oils as being equally helpful without getting the stomach upset. I will google your suggestions when I am able to get on my PC.
I can not tolerate iron supplements at all, but magnesium I seem to be alright with. I also really like sea weed so try to have it several times per month... I feel a trip to H-Mart coming on...
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
Melinda- you may want to google magnesium oil. It is great! You can apply it to the skin or take a bath in it.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Sunday - Interesting info! I crave nuts and drink too much coffee - I might start taking magnesium and see if it could help with the nut cravings....

Flutter - My Pharmacist who dabbles in Naturopathy raves about a form of magnesium call Magnesium Glycinate. He said it was gentler on the stomach than other forms of mag. His wife takes it to help migraines and at night before sleep. He gave me a small free sample jar but I wasn't very consistent in taking them. I would think the lotion would be a great way to take the mag though and would absorb well. I was looking at it in the health food shop a few weeks back and it was very expensive, but perhaps a little of it goes a long way.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Mojo is right about magnesium glycinate. I take 200 mg a day. It is a easy to absorb magnesium without laxative effect. I recently started spraying my body with magnesium oil as well.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
Sunday - Interesting info! I crave nuts and drink too much coffee - I might start taking magnesium and see if it could help with the nut cravings....

Flutter - My Pharmacist who dabbles in Naturopathy raves about a form of magnesium call Magnesium Glycinate. He said it was gentler on the stomach than other forms of mag. His wife takes it to help migraines and at night before sleep. He gave me a small free sample jar but I wasn't very consistent in taking them. I would think the lotion would be a great way to take the mag though and would absorb well. I was looking at it in the health food shop a few weeks back and it was very expensive, but perhaps a little of it goes a long way.
Yes, the magnesium glycinate is what I use orally and it can be mixed in with your smoothie or whatever cold drink you are having. No taste whatsoever.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks guys! If the lotion seems to help, I may add in some of the other suggestions as well! I wish they had iron lotion as well. LOLOL! I really appreciate the feedback!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I bought the "gel" a while back, because the magnesium I had was causing intestinal cramps.

Magnesium has helped me with insomnia & mightmares, tachycardia, high blood pressure, and pain--sore muscles, backaches, headaches. Possibly some other things...I'll come back if I remember.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I bought the "gel" a while back, because the magnesium I had was causing intestinal cramps.

Magnesium has helped me with insomnia & mightmares, tachycardia, high blood pressure, and pain--sore muscles, backaches, headaches. Possibly some other things...I'll come back if I remember.
Holy cow, that's AWESOME!!! I am waiting for my lotion...I'll post if it helps! (I hope so, dang that's an expensive bottle!)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
lol..."nightmares" not "mightmares"!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

A few years back I was having an irregular heartbeat. It felt like every few beats it jumped out really hard and I was quite distressed over it. Ended up seeing a cardiologist and after some tests he told me to take magnesium. Low levels of mag can cause this but even though mag levels in my blood tests were at the lower end of normal, he said it could still mean I need more mag. Mag is amazing...
Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
Low levels of mag can cause this but even though mag levels in my blood tests were at the lower end of normal, he said it could still mean I need more mag. Mag is amazing...
Unfortunately blood test for magnesium is not the best because there is only about 1% of magnesium in the blood serum. But good for your cardiologist to recommend the magnesium to you.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I take Natural Calm (helps with muscle aches/spasms, headaches) and I also soak in strong epsom salt baths regularly to exchange magnesium through skin. Haven't ever seen a lotion, but I am a little crazed about what I will put on or in my skin...I wonder about the other ingredients.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will post the other ingredients when I get it! It's supposed to be for sensitive skin, too. <shrug>
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
I take Natural Calm (helps with muscle aches/spasms, headaches) and I also soak in strong epsom salt baths regularly to exchange magnesium through skin. Haven't ever seen a lotion, but I am a little crazed about what I will put on or in my skin...I wonder about the other ingredients.
You don't even have to use the lotion if you want pure product you can get magnesium oil (not really an oil, but that's what they call it) it is pure magnesium chloride. I have not checked the ingredients of the magnesium lotion yet but I am very happy with the oil.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

I also use CALM when I need to unplug the system. From what I read though, magnesium chloride applied topically is the best absorbed by the body.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
I was also going to suggest epson salt baths or foot baths for people who have difficulty ingesting the magnesium supplements. Magnesium is the main ingredient of Epsom Salts; soaking in it also helps sore muscles or tired feet feel much better.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I was also going to suggest epson salt baths or foot baths for people who have difficulty ingesting the magnesium supplements. Magnesium is the main ingredient of Epsom Salts; soaking in it also helps sore muscles or tired feet feel much better.
Yep, that's what I do. I can't take magnesium because it irritates my stomach and I've tried all of the different forms so I take epsom salt baths.

I've always been curious to try the magnesium oil. I haven't because I'm worried how it will feel on the skin. I'm a sensitive baby, lol.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Margotpolo
Options

Ive been an off and on again lurker for some time, but this subject finally has me out! Hello!

I think I'm sort of an unofficial magnesium expert. Suffering from migraines suddenly, severely, and frequently in my early 20's, I sought the best medical help I could. Months of "experts," trying accupuncture, various remedies, and RXs- finally I found the NY headache center. I'm fortunate enough to live near by. I recommend any one with migraines or with loved ones who suffer, google this center and read through the articles on their website. The #1 recommendation I received were to start having injections of Magnesium through IV monthly. I was greatly relieved even after the first treatment! Usually if I was lucky I'd have 6 days between a migraine. I went 30!!

Now, moving to MI for a year, I found it near impossible to get IV magnesium. I would fly back to NYC for my fix. However, long story to explain that you can get magnesium successfully other ways:

1) Epsom salt foot soak/bath? Also a cheap solution!
2) magnesium tabs (do NOT take ones mixed with calcium, calcium blocks Mg absorption). Take as much Mg as your can tolerate daily. Diarrhea is a sign your body isn't absorbing, reduce dose when th is happens. Try multiple brands until you find one that is ok on your stomach. Take them after meals. Last resort, look for vitamins in liquid form, usually purchased from Canada- this is how I have to get my wife her iron.
3) apricots, nuts, greens veggies are nice supplements but provide you with no where near the amount a migraineur needs

I've not had expieriecne with lotion, but would like to hear your results. A great side effect of having all this magnesium is that I heal like a mutant! Cuts heal completely within days.

Good luck, hope you can find relief. Magnesium is really the way to go!
Margotpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Margotpolo.

It's always a subject close to heart that flushes us lurkers out into the open. Mine was the bingeing thread. Thanks for the magnesium info. I'm going to take some right now....
Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Anything that encourages my old body to heal quickly is great news.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote