Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Non-Potato Hack ?

Is there even such a thing ? I was wondering what it is about potatoes that make the hack effective. I would like to do potato hack but my body does not like potatoes (both regular and sweet). Can other veggies be substituted? I was thinking of celery ROOT, rutabaga, cauliflower, parsnips, carrots, broccoli, or any combination of the above. Anyone?
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I've had good success with the meat and egg fast, or just eggs
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I've had good success with the meat and egg fast, or just eggs
Thanks, Sara- I have tried it before and it was great, but now I was looking to this with veggies on DD to give my body break from protein. I don't know how well would this work. I guess I can always give it a shot.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I believe it would work with all veggies. Strictly limiting fat that is. I would think brocolli & spinach might be interesting to try.

The science is here, from Peter (Hyperlipid) ~

Quote:
The theory why people are calling this a “diet hack” isn’t because of calories. That would just be normal dieting. The reason why potatoes are the chosen food is because they’re basically zero fat and come with high quality protein, something very rare in a vegetarian protein source, and a lot of nutrients. The theory is because your body needs fat to manufacture insulin, if you are eating ZERO fat, it has to pull fat out of storage to manufacture insulin. Because white potatoes are so highly insulogenic and create such a massive, high GI response, it needs A LOT of insulin – which requires a significant portion of fat. Since you aren’t eating fat along with it, it is forced to go to adipose tissue as a source – and needs quite a bit – to make all that insulin.

So when you start combining potatoes with outside sources of protein and fiber – like egg whites, fish or vegetables – you are destroying the “hack.” You are greatly reducing the insulin spike you’re supposed to get, which lessens the immediate fat need from your fat cells to manufacture insulin. The whole point is because potatoes are so massively insulinogenic. If you add stuff, it doesn’t work. It has to be all potatoes.

You could surely do it with white rice too, but it’s not recommended because there’s virtually no protein (certainly no high quality protein) and far less nutrients. Potatoes were chosen because of the very high quality protein, the nutrient density, the high glycemix index and the fact that someone can survive a very long time eating simply potatoes – it is nearly a complete food – you will become ill much faster eating just white rice than eating just white potatoes.
If you like science read here for the down & dirty stuff.

Hyperlipid: Protons: Zero fat
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Sunday! Very interesting. I had no idea that potatoes are high in protein. I guess I will check which veggies have the highest amount of protein. I don't mind eating broccoli and spinach at all
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was thinking an all day green day, with brocolli, green beans, spinach, & kale might be very yummy.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I was thinking an all day green day, with brocolli, green beans, spinach, & kale might be very yummy.
I know people do the potato hack for 4 and 5 days at a time and more. Can you safely eat just green veggies for this amount of time and avoid starvation mode and lack of protein?
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would definitely take a multi and limit something this strict to no more than 5 days. Believe it or not, raw foodies, do this quite a bit with raw greens. I don't believe it is good to even do the tater hack for more than 5 days straight, but that is my own belief. I know that original hacker did it for 60 days. I am sure he was okay, I just don't think I would try it.

ETA: I don't know if anyone could do this for more than 3 days due to the satiating factor? Taters have great satiety. Brocolli, Spinach??? Not so much. I think the sheer boredom would kick in. But would love to know if anyone can do this with ease!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 02-17-2013 at 08:09 AM..
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I often do veggie days. Breakfast is a kale berry smoothie. lunch is the same or a salad and then dinner is potatoes. I enjoy those days, and today is one of them!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Veggies have a surprising amount of protein in them--not by weight, but by calorie density. If you compare 100 calories of eggs to 100 calories of spinach or broccoli, they're comparable, IIRC. Mushrooms are a good source of protein, too.

I'll re-quote Sunday's quote:
Quote:

Because white potatoes are so highly insulogenic and create such a massive, high GI response, it needs A LOT of insulin – which requires a significant portion of fat.
This is what's going to be missing if you do low-carb veggies. Maybe if you use carrots or beets, it will work. But they might not be as filling.

OTOH, some people use rice instead of potatoes. I think you have to be careful not to do too many days of this, because the protein profile isn't as good as potatoes.

Hmmm...now I'm wondering about a rice & bean hack. Back in the 70s my mom had a vegetarian "complete protein" food-combining cookbook, and rice & beans were considered a perfect combo. I lived in Central America where I was fed rice & beans twice a day at school and often had them for dinner, too!!! People were pretty thin--but the lifestyle was much more active (nobody but rich people had cars or even bicycles), and there was a lot more poverty, so I can't say a high-carb/low-fat diet was the only cause.

Rice & beans might have a good satiety score, since beans are high in resistant starch like potatoes, and they would be easy to spice up. Beans have a kind of creamy texture, so to me they don't seem as boring without added fat as other foods do. There could also be a lot of variety...so many kinds of beans!!!
New lows, 2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/13 277.2

Last edited by piratejenny; 02-17-2013 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: grammar
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, I would love rice and beans. Especially blackeye peas. I can't seem to lose on them though, because I am sure I overeat.

I think you should try this and report back to us!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I often do veggie days. Breakfast is a kale berry smoothie. lunch is the same or a salad and then dinner is potatoes. I enjoy those days, and today is one of them!
Ouiz, That smoothie has become my every single day on PHD. I always have kale, spinach, blueberries, but sometimes switch up the apple for pumpkin or strawberries.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Quote:
Ouiz, That smoothie has become my every single day on PHD. I always have kale, spinach, blueberries, but sometimes switch up the apple for pumpkin or strawberries.
yum! Pumpkin! love me some pumpkin!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh that smoothie sounds yummy
Old 02-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
It wasn't really a hack but I did the green juice fast for 3 weeks (aka reboot or fat, sick and nearly dead) - nothing but juice - it was brilliant but after 3 weeks I had enough. So I'm sure a few days of you just eating veggies will be ok. Lost a heap of weight, cured myself of sugar/salt addiction, I'm sure it helped with my immune system I and just felt great!
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marika, I make mine with sf coconut milk so the cals remain low, but you can use almond milk, or just ice, I add 1/8 tsp of gluc to make it real filling. It is a great refreshing drink and then I don't have to fret if I don't have enough veggies with my meals.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So, I attempted the non-potato hack today and it was a total failure.
I started at 10 AM with 5 oz steamed cauliflower and after a couple of hours I ate some baked butternut squash. Well, that's were the trouble began. I become so hungry afterwards that it felt like I am going to binge on carbs. I think it was too sweet for me. I had anther 7 oz of it and had to put it away, as I could have finished the whole thing in one seating. Definitely it was too many carbs for me. I can usually eat it with some meat, but not alone, I guess. My appetite went to the roof, so I had to have some egg whites and burgers and now I am feeling fine. Went over my DD calories today, but it could have been worst if I continued with the butternut squash or other veggies for the rest of the day. I guess there is not a good sub for potato hack. I will stick with my normal DD protein.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carlye
Stats: 120kg/108kg/TBA
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 2013
That's cos other vegetables, green or otherwise don't have the same sort of satiety as potatoes.
The satiety index: Comparing apples and oranges
Carlye is offline   Reply With Quote