Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Trisha555
How do i switch to JUDDD !?

Hi guys

i got sent here from the other forum.. so i hope maybe you can help me
so here is my problem

i've been on a low carb diet (atkins)for 6weeks now, i have not lost much weight.. i think about 3 to 4lbs maybe, also my cravings for carbs are driving me crazy! its just something i can not do long term.

So i want to switch over to the JUDDD diet, but i have no idea how to do that without gaining weight.. atm i am eating 20-25grams of carbs per day, calories around 1700 .. i only eat from 12:15 pm untill 6 sometimes 7pm and after that i dont eat anything , i only drink water

Im 142lbs, and 5'5 tall , i still want to lose 15lbs

I hope someone can help me out with this i would really appreciate it!
Trisha555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Hi Trisha,
You sound like me! I bailed on Atkins after about 4 weeks for the same reasons. Been happily JUDDING for the last 4 weeks and lost twice what I had on Atkins. Course, I've got way more than 15 pounds to lose
So, how to switch:
1) Read through old "Newbie" threads to get an idea of how and why the diet works. There are several in the first few pages where new people are asking questions and getting ideas & info on specific details.
1.5) Buy and read Dr Johnson's Up Day Down Day Diet
2) Google "JUDDD calculator" and use Dr. Johnson's calculator to figure your UD and DD calories. I'd start at the "no exercise" and "20%" settings - that's where most people go until they're more comfortable with the program.
***Understand that, regardless of what the calculator says for your DD, it's ok to go up to 500 cals on your DDs in the beginning to begin to accustom yourself to the DDs***
3) Be sure you're meeting your UD calorie requirements. A huge part of how JUDDD works is the swing between the UD and DD calories. So you should try hard to hit your UD targets and try not to go over 500 (less is better) on your DDs.
4) You can decide if you want to stay low carb (many JUDDD BUDDs do) or you can toss carb counts out of the window. The only thing JUDDD cares about is calories but you can choose to make it low carb, vegan, etc.
Welcome and good luck!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Hi Trisha, welcome to the JUDDD forum! I did Atkins for 4 weeks, and when I switched to JUDDD, I did it in 1 day. I found out about it, read some of the posts here and switched from Atkins to JUDDD all in a 24 hour period. I had been eating under 20 carbs a day for the whole 4 weeks. I started JUDDD on a DD, and went by my calculated 20%JUDDD calories, only I didn't count the cream in my coffee that day(if you haven't yet Google JUDDD calculator and get your numbers). I also ate some pasta on my first day(DD) and probably had at least 40 carbs that day. I lost on that day too. That first day i felt like i had eaten nothing. But it gets easier, and i was so proud of myself that first day, that i actually got through it! Since then I have not counted one carb. But I don't eat much bread anymore, and just small portions of pasta or rice when I have it. But I do eat sweets. And fruit and cereal...and chocolate
I wouldn't say that I have lost quickly since starting JUDDD, but I am losing at a healthy pace,13-14 pounds in 5 weeks.

Last edited by hot-in-texas; 02-16-2013 at 04:55 PM..
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thankyou both for responding! You both give me hope of losing weight. Hot-in-texas congrats with your weight loss i hope i'll lose to switching from atkins to JUDDD(pray for me ) 15lbs in 5weekss is amazing if i lose that much weight i reach my goal weight. Im gonna start my first DD tomorrow wish me luck. Btw it says first 2 weeks induction that on the DD's i should only eat like atkin bars and such(i do have those alot) and shakes,but what about after induction? That kinda confused me a bit..
Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

First, I did not use any pre packaged food, and just counted my calories the whole time.
During the induction period you can either use your 20% calculated DD calorie numbers or eat up to 500 calories on your DDs. You should not go over 500 calories during induction. A lot of us never ate the 500 DD calories and just stuck with our 20%.
After the first 2 weeks, it is recommended that you stick with your calculated number. Most of us JUDDD Budds use the 20% during our entire weight loss. The calculated numbers change as you lose weight.
Some JUDDD Budds are able to always do 500 DD calories and still lose weight. It depends on how your own metabolism works. You will learn a lot about your body.
Hope that helps
Old 02-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
The reason there are recommendations for using shakes and pre-packaged items like Atkins bars during induction is because they're easy. You know exactly how many calories and servings are in each shake/bar. It really does not matter what you eat - this was a hard concept for me to grasp. "You mean I can eat all my UD calories in chocolate cake if I want?" "Yes, as long as you don't go over your numbers!"
Having bounced from Atkins I used some prepackaged stuff when I first transitioned because my fridge was full of full-fat everything from having shopped for Atkins. And I use the shakes, bars, etc because I bought them and need to use them up. I also like the Indulge on a DD when I feel like a special treat and I have the extra cals, I'll have 1 peanut butter cup, or 1/2 a nut bar or something.
However there are people who do their DDs using only natural foods. Spend some time looking into low cal dense foods - broccoli and cauliflower are my 2 faves, along with lettuce, in getting volume without calories.
I haven't counted carbs since Jan 20 when I switched. I even had a big bowl of popcorn that night to "celebrate" making the decision to switch from Atkins to JUDDD the next day.
I've been losing 1.6 pounds per week. I just hit my 10# lost mark, having started my program overall on 1-1-13. 6 weeks, 10# - I'm pleased with that rate.
Look through the DD threads for ideas on food for DDs other than shakes, etc.
Good luck!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
JUDDD is simply the best WOE. I lost 62.2 pounds in 9 mos and I was only dieting every other day! What could be better than that!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cindy-lou
Stats: 257/234/170
WOE: JUDDD-01/31/13
Start Date: Nov 7 2012 LC

and the ladies have already gave you lots of info so I just wanted to welcome you

I also did Atkins and after 6 weeks I stalled for 8 long weeks ....so I came here and now it's on the down slide
lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks
Cindy-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thanks alot for the replies! you too Cindy-Lou and Carly

This has been really motivating to me.

today is my first DD.. Im doing pretty good untill now , only ate a atkins cinnamon-oatmeal bun (140cals) and a quarter of a cucumber..drinking lots of water. its 4pm here, i'll be eating some veggies around 6 for dinner and im done for the day.

Hope i can post some progress in over a week or 2 !
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
Hi Trisha, welcome to the JUDDD forum! I did Atkins for 4 weeks, and when I switched to JUDDD, I did it in 1 day. I found out about it, read some of the posts here and switched from Atkins to JUDDD all in a 24 hour period. I had been eating under 20 carbs a day for the whole 4 weeks. I started JUDDD on a DD, and went by my calculated 20%JUDDD calories, only I didn't count the cream in my coffee that day(if you haven't yet Google JUDDD calculator and get your numbers). I also ate some pasta on my first day(DD) and probably had at least 40 carbs that day. I lost on that day too. That first day i felt like i had eaten nothing. But it gets easier, and i was so proud of myself that first day, that i actually got through it! Since then I have not counted one carb. But I don't eat much bread anymore, and just small portions of pasta or rice when I have it. But I do eat sweets. And fruit and cereal...and chocolate
I wouldn't say that I have lost quickly since starting JUDDD, but I am losing at a healthy pace,13-14 pounds in 5 weeks.
That is quickly!! That's more than 2 lbs a week, gf! You have lost more than I have at 12 wks lol. Give yourself a pat on the back.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Ah, tex, Cindy is right. You have lost super fast! This week alone is amazing! Don't sell yourself short!

Trisha, I'm sure you'll do fabulously! Post away when you have questions!
Flutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance

When i switched from lc to juddd i had a 3lb bounce but it came off after a couple dds
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
JUDDD is simply the best WOE. I lost 62.2 pounds in 9 mos and I was only dieting every other day! What could be better than that!
Amen to that! I can finally have some yummies without worrying if I'll have to skip a meal because I did. I would never touch a piece of cake or ice cream except once on a very rare occasion. Now I can have a treat with out having to forgo lunch, or dinner.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Trisha, just checking in. Hoping you will check in and give us an update soon.