Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Skeptical Article on "calorie shifting diets" ... thoughts?

Hi there! I thought I'd share this article I accidentally came across on from the UC Berkeley Wellness letter. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on it: Calorie-Shifting Diet Plans | Berkeley Wellness.

I have always respected this usually well-researched publication, but I think they make some assumptions here, such as "most people won’t feel good on calorie roller coasters, and most couldn’t stick to the crazy regimens." (Based on which people who have actually tried it long term?)

Also, I was at first bothered by the comment that "skipping meals is ill-advised for people with diabetes" (as someone who is currently "predabetic"), but then it also presents one study that showed "lower insulin levels" and their own UC Berkeley study showed "improved insulin and glucose metabolism and shrinkage of fat cells" in mice (although they didn't lose weight because they made up the calories on the "up days").

Anecdotal evidence from this board (including my own experience) seems to contradict much of what this article is saying, but it sounds like we need more/better human subject studies to prove it to the UCB Wellness letter!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Thank you for the post, Chris....I did read a similar article...and it may have been based on this one...I know that research has shown for years that calorie restriction results in longer life..I think maybe the article's writer means well, but I don't think their findings are accurate because of what I have read in the past..also, I read, just today, one article that said resveratrol was not proven to do the things that have been attributed to it...I don't believe that one either.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I've been JUDDDing for almost 11 months. I still feel great. Have normalized my BG, lost 72 pounds, have inreased energy and an improved relationship with food. The only thing I semi-agreed with is occasional constipation. I'll stick with JUDDD despite the article. I noticed, too that it was written more than 6 mos ago... I think.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
It works for me, when nothing else did or was sustainable.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Wow - totally unimpressed with this as a piece of "scholarly" writing or any sort of public service piece.
Aside from the fact that I don't agree with what this person (note that the author is not listed), it's poorly written. None of the studies are cited so that an interested party could read the original work and draw their own conclusions (which is always a good idea). Its preachy, sanctimonious and seems to peddle the same established dogma that got many of us in trouble in the first place.

"Neither human study had a control group, so we don’t know how the results would compare to, say, a standard reduced-calorie, heart-healthy diet."

Note that there is no reference to what, exactly, is considered a reduced-calorie, heart-healthy diet. And nowhere does anyone say IF is not heart healthy, therefore this particular choice of wording makes me feel like "the establishment" is out to beat these back before too many people jump on the bandwagon.

I also particularly like the emphasis on mood - because dieting people are always so happy? I'm the happiest I've ever been on JUDDD.

A particular pet peeve of mine - T1D (Type 1 Diabetes, Juvenile Onset, Autoimmune Diabetes) IS NOT the same thing as Type 2. There are management differences so it irritates me to no end when people make blanket statements regarding "Diabetes" management.
("Skipping meals can sometimes result in malnutrition and is ill advised for people with diabetes.")

I could go on and on...

Finally, regarding the resveratrol. When I was in grad school a classmate did a study on resveratrol looking, specifically at her model of osteoarthritis in mice. If I recall correctly the conclusions were that it wasn't all it's cracked up to be. However, I had/have serious problems with the methodology including the very basic (but often overlooked) fact that MICE ARE NOT HUMANS!!!!! When I did Diabetes research (yes, back to that again), we used to joke that we've cured (T1) Diabetes 10,000 times in mice - and not a single methodology ended up working in humans.

Human medical research would be easier if the MDs (or PhDs) in charge had some training in comparative medicine & physiology. Or just hand it all to the DVMs! (Yes, DVMs are real doctors too)

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Yennie - I completely agree. I tried to put aside my pro-JUDDD bias and read the article objectively, but I just found it quite biased, which surprised me for this publication. While the authors criticize the studies or lack thereof, on the other hand they don't cite any research for the many assertions they make, such as how no one could stick to it (7 months for me and counting ... not many "diets" lasted that long for me!), how people would feel bad on it (I may have had a couple grumpy down days, but usually I feel normal to above average), etc. I was disappointed in them!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
The only thing that I find to be factual in the article is that it is true if you are malnourished and fasting eod, you could run into issues with diabetes or other various health issues. However, that is factual with any kind of calorie restriction, not just JUDDD. I have tried fasting malnourished and it is very trying on the addrenals. Keeping our UD nourishing is really the key to success.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
The only thing that I find to be factual in the article is that it is true if you are malnourished and fasting eod, you could run into issues with diabetes or other various health issues. However, that is factual with any kind of calorie restriction, not just JUDDD. I have tried fasting malnourished and it is very trying on the addrenals. Keeping our UD nourishing is really the key to success.
I have been trying to eat healthily on DDs-dark greens, colorful fruits, protein and fat. At least that was my plan...need to get back to that, don't want to be malnourished.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I agree. I began IF looking for fast yet filling foods for DD and although it helps to have miracle noodles & gluc, the more nutrient dense foods that are low cal would be the best option. And I had too many fun & yummy, yet non-nutritious UD thrown in and the two combined lead me to a mess with weight loss stalls.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I am finding that most articles I've read lately about diets and weight loss are complete nonsense and fluff. It seems like they put headlines on the cover of almost any magazine about the latest diets just to trick you into buying or reading the magazine, and when you actually read the article it's either completely common sense or garbage (or one or two lines of practically nothing). I can't believe I used to hang onto everything I read about dieting as if every writer knew the "truth". I think all of us who have been doing this WOE know better than any "researcher" out there.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeborahL
Stats: 168.2/156.6/130
WOE: JUDDD w/restricted carbs
Start Date: 1/20/13 (Atkins) 2/11/2013 (JUDDD)
I did read this link before starting. I still opted to go ahead with my experiment, but if I were still in the baby-making state of mind, I don't believe I would have made the same choice. Just my thinking... everyone has to make their own choice.
DeborahL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Deb, are you saying you're not happy with JUDDD? Do you feel malnourished? If for any reason it's not comfortable for you, you can always change your WOE, of course.

ETA: I see that you said "baby making". Oops. Sorry I misinterpreted what you meant. As for that, I was already irregular (TOM) and experienced only 2 cycles the year before starting JUDDD, so I'm not too worried. The other major thing that is mentioned is the food-seeking behavior at night that keeps rats sleepless. I experienced the sleeplessness some when I first started JUDDD, but have since adapted completely and sleep like a baby on DD and UD. I guess my brain is more aware than a rat's that I don't need to seek food, but that I am making a decision not to eat.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 02-18-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Oh, no. I have only been on it a week, and I am not unhappy nor do I feel malnourished. I was just saying that the biggest drawback in the studies mentioned in the article I linked to at Paleo for Women had to do with reproductive issues. I simply meant that if I were still at the stage of life where I was wanting children (or trying to conceive), I would most likely have not tried IF.

Last edited by DeborahL; 02-18-2013 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Had to clarify the site I was talking about.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

I edited my response above because I did realize what you meant, finally. If JUDDD causes thick-headedness than I'm doomed!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Ha. I don't think it was thick headedness. I should have made it more clear that I was talking about an article at a different site which brought up different issues.