Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Detox / or 5 day Cleanse? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/797218-detox-5-day-cleanse.html)

giggles4me 02-15-2013 09:47 AM

Detox / or 5 day Cleanse?

Has any one tried a detox or 5 to 7 day cleanse? Just wondering if that would help get off sugar and jump start my weight loss again.

svenskamae 02-15-2013 01:45 PM

Two books that suggest starting with a very limited number of food choices to support one's liver and detox are:
Ann Louise Gittleman and Barry Sears, The Fat Flush Plan
Eric Berg, The 7 Principles of Fat Burning

I'd suggest following a structured plan like this, if you want to try a detox approach.

I've done this in the past, and I don't lose weight with this approach, though I did feel clear-headed and energetic. My issues are insulin resistence and adrenal fatigue, I think, and a cleanse diet doesn't help much with that. But it works well for lots of people, so don't rule it out just based on my experience.

I'd also suggest reading/working through Julia Ross's "The Diet Cure" and trying supplements that she suggests, if you are having trouble getting off sugar.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

piratejenny 02-15-2013 05:37 PM

It depends on what you mean by detox or cleanse; if it involves fasting and/or taking a lot of supplements, fiber, etc, I think that's a bit drastic. Also, most cleanses/detoxes involve going #2 a LOT. I mean, a LOT!!! :hyst: That could leave you dehydrated and feeling weak.

If I were to do a "cleanse", I would do mostly raw or lightly steamed veggies (greens & low carb--broccoli, kale, cabbage, celery, cucumbers, parsley) with some avocados and nuts for healthy fats and to help feel full. Personally I wouldn't do much fruit; maybe berries. IMO smoothies and raw soups are superior to juices, because you get the whole food. Good cooked food would be veggie soup and/or bone broth; miso "soup" (miso in warm water); seaweed is very nutritious, too (you could boil it in any broth you are making). Plain brown rice if you need something more substantial; you can cook it with or add it to broth to make it tastier. One other food I might add is nutritional yeast; it has a lot of vitamins, especially B-vitamins, and a little protein. I also like to add it to rice, salad, & soup; it adds a buttery/cheesy taste.

Yennie 02-15-2013 07:26 PM

PJ: question - what is Miso? Seem lots of people talking about it but can't figure out what it is?
Apologies for the thread jack.

Carly 02-15-2013 07:40 PM

I get packets of miso to be made into soup at my Asian market. 1 packet is about 20 calories can go up to 35 calories if there is tofu and sea weed or onions added in a separate packet. I only add the extras on UD an DD I just have the miso in warm water.

piratejenny 02-15-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16261801)
PJ: question - what is Miso?

It's a fermented soybean paste. Miso soup (with seaweed and little cubes of tofu) is often included with meals at Japanese restaurants...so if you like sushi, you might have had it unwittingly! :)

Tamari/soy sauce is a by-product of miso production.

It's a really good source of probiotics and electrolytes.
It should never be cooked or added to boiling liquids, because that kills the "live" probiotics & enzymes.

If a person is avoiding or allergic to soy, there are soy-free types made with barley, rice, or chickpeas.
Darker miso has a stronger flavor; white miso is lighter/sweeter.

A very popular and widely-available brand is Miso Master.

Yennie 02-15-2013 07:51 PM

Oooohhh, this sounds lovely. I think I saw some when I *FINALLY* found some Shirataki noodles and just didn't know what it was, or if it was the right thing.
Thank you!
On a side note, I bought some Shirataki noodles at Safeway yesterday, was super excited to finally find some. I had never heard of them before this forum. Then, today, I was running errands at lunch with my dad and we stopped by the co-op so he could buy...get this...tofu shirataki noodles! I got one for me to try as well since I'd heard the tofu was a better texture. It was funny - never known what they were and then twice in 2 days!
Ok, really really really sorry for the T/J.

giggles4me 02-16-2013 04:10 AM

Thread jack anytime, this is how we all learn the good stuff. I have never heard of Miso either. It nice to get some real knowledge here.

Don't really want to do a type of detox or cleanse that would have me sitting in the bathroom all the time. It was just a thought. After reading here I have decided to try some supplements and see how that goes.

Everyone is talking about L-Glutamine, so I got the power to try. How much and how often?
Chromium Picolinate and a good B vitamin. Can you think of any others I should add?

Librarygirl 02-16-2013 06:35 AM

Jeanne, what worked for me to get off sugar is simply low carb. Within a day or two, my cravings were completely gone. I'm sure you've done low carb before, but it is effective if you eat enough fat and protein. I now am strictly JUDDDing and also eating sugar (until I find it problematic), but I do know LC works 100%. If you haven't ever gone off sugar completely, expect headaches and nausea (to greater or lesser extents).

giggles4me 02-16-2013 06:53 AM

Thanks Cindy,

I do low carb, maybe I need to fine tune it.. I made a list yesterday of all the items I eat that might or do have sugar in them and now I am trying to eliminate them. Like changing my fruit smoothies to veg smoothies, is that a good idea or not? Are there any vegs I should stay away from?

Librarygirl 02-16-2013 07:13 AM

I think legumes can be problematic for some. Berries rather than citrus fruits are less likely to trigger sugar cravings too. I posted in another thread of yours that you can try coconut sugar or palm sugar in your coffee, and possibly in smoothies. They are low-glycemic (but I'm no expert, just from reading here), compared to cane sugar.

piratejenny 02-16-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giggles4me (Post 16262127)
Thanks Cindy,

I do low carb, maybe I need to fine tune it.. I made a list yesterday of all the items I eat that might or do have sugar in them and now I am trying to eliminate them. Like changing my fruit smoothies to veg smoothies, is that a good idea or not? Are there any vegs I should stay away from?

Just really sugary ones like beets and carrots. You probably wouldn't put those in a veg smoothie anyway :hyst: but some people start juicing and go nuts on beets, carrots, and apples...they do make juices taste better...Also, be careful of using bottled juice like V8 as a base for your veg smoothies. It's better to use all fresh veggies + some water. Cucumbers & tomatoes are "watery" veggies if your smoothie is getting too thick.

One piece of advice I always throw out there when people talk about trying veggie smoothies is, look up recipes for raw soups. If you're trying to disguise the flavor of your veggies (most people think of "smoothies" as something fruity & sweet), you may really hate your concoctions. But if you think of it as a soup, you can add garlic, ginger, curry, salt, lemon, parsley etc to make it tasty, as well as coconut or other nut milk and avocado to make it creamy. You should always add a little fat to help metabolize the vitamins. A little extra-virgin olive oil is really good in a soup with tomato, parsley, and garlic, like gazpacho.

Have you ever had gazpacho? There's an example of a delicious raw soup that isn't some weird hippie craziness!!! :laugh:

C'Marie 02-16-2013 06:50 PM

:hyst: Weird hippie craziness? count me in! :hyst: