Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
32 Weeks on JUDDD -- And Bewildered

Today's weigh in was 256 lbs. That's a gain of 2 lbs this week, for a total loss of 34 lbs, 30 of them on JUDDD.

I confess to being bewildered by this result. I went back into weight loss mode this week, counting every morsel that went into my mouth, getting up days under control, and even executing my first double down day to make up for one when I couldn't count (the day of my grandmother's funeral). The scale was kind to me after my up day (which never happens), so I went to bed last night 100% confident I was going to be able to report a new low. Instead, I woke up puffy and with two new pounds to lose. And though I know it's probably one of the obvious culprits (TOM, too much salt, etc.) I'm mad!

But I'll get over it ;P

Alright, with that out of my system, here are the weekly ups and downs.

Downsides

Scale Bounces. Boy, I thought I was done with having my whole mood ruined by the JUDDD bouncing ball, but if you could have seen my face this morning when I eagerly jumped on the scale only to get an unwelcome surprise... Last night, before bed, my husband caught me preening at the changes in the mirror. (Look honey, I have wrists!) This morning, he caught me glaring into the mirror like a gorgon. I didn't even want to make this weekly posting, but part of what has worked so well for me is the honest accounting, so here it is. And I guess I have to report that, unlike Carly, even so far into my JUDDD journey, the scale has power over me.

Upsides

Easy Travels. I remember how difficult it used to be to travel on a diet. Any diet. It was always so hard to find an acceptable food that would keep me from swooning with hunger while on the road. And at the beginning of my JUDDD journey, every down day was such a struggle that traveling was difficult. There is no where to drain shirataki noodles on a train, for example. But that struggle was worth it. Now that JUDDD has trained me up to go hungry for outrageously long periods of time without swooning or losing much focus, it's easier just not to eat. And travel is a snap. I spent two long days on a train this week and in both instances, I was made far more uncomfortable by the cramped seating arrangements (train was sold out due to blizzard) than I was by hunger. I brought with me some beef stix and snack bars but mostly didn't need them. And I was even able to find a lunch that fit within my calorie limit at TGI Friday's so I could go out to dinner with everyone afterwards.

Going with the Flow. Some DDs I found that I needed nothing more than tea to get me into the afternoon, leaving me plenty of calories for an enjoyable (if not plentiful) dinner. But other DDs, if I felt the hunger coming on earlier, I didn't fight with it or try to make a virtue out of suffering. Instead, I made some broth with shirataki noodles or some gluc jello. And, to my surprise, by compromising with my body I was actually able to clock in super low JUDDD numbers. More importantly, it seemed to help prevent some of the binge behavior that was evolving on up days.

Last edited by stephdray; 02-14-2013 at 09:01 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I think you've learned a valuable lesson. Double DDs do not help. Next time have 2 UDs instead. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but I think your body is fighting you because you caused it too much stress.

Also, many JBs have found that traveling causes water retention. Between the stress, travel, and 2 DDs in a row, I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I don't think the DD's were back to back were they Stephanie? I am sorry that you are going through a difficult time and also sorry that the scale did not cooperate this week. I do think that sometimes when I was following JUDDD weight loss numbers I would lose inches but the weight would drop off a few days later. I hope this is the case for you. Sitting with travel can definetly cause me to retain water.i hope the coming week is better for you.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
I don't think the DD's were back to back were they Stephanie?
Yeah, they were. I didn't want to get knocked off track by a day when I couldn't count my calories, so I practiced two DD's in a row. First time I did it. And surprisingly it wasn't that hard.

But I did feel all martyrish :P
Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
and feeling your pain is all I got. Every encounter with the scale elicits either a "yay, finally it's working" or "crap, maybe I oughta try something else". I look at the daily weights and I'm honestly surprised anyone ever loses anything when you look at the 2-4 lb. bounce everyone seems to have for weeks on end.

Another upside, one that made me look at my measley stats and not feel so bad. You've lost 32 lbs. in 30 weeks - that's roughly 1 lb. a week, just what is optimal for keeping it off. That's awesome!! I'm almost 6 weeks in (this time) and have lost 5 (in between the dastardly bounces), which is almost a pound a week. So maybe I'm doing as bad as I feel like I am.

You are still doing fantastic!!

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Dawn, you are so right, as far as concerning me...I think I messed things up for myself by doing dd's together...what I did a couple of times was, ..didn't do the dd perfectly, so..I thought ok..I'll do it right tomorrow...oh no.then..I actually did two ud's together and the scale dropped one pound...I think I'm back on track now...but..I wasted some time..I also learned a good lesson...Juddd works..but it works the way it says it's supposed to..for me, anyway...One other thing i had not been doing was taking the resveratrol...I'm taking it everyday now...one question...seems like I read that Dr Johnson said to take 400mg per day?..so I'm doing that..don't know what other people here are taking .
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Stupid scale! stupid, stupid, STUPID ignorant scale! I know it's really, uber hard to do...but ignore the stupid thing! YOU are doing FABULOUS! I often have a wacky upward over the normal 1-2# bounce even when I'm completely on plan/within UD&DD cals. Sometimes it even has the nerve to take awhile to come back down. (but it usually DOES take a few pounds with it by that point)

I don't have any fabulous insight, but I can, of course, relate. I am sending you lots of love and hugs and angry at your scale for you. On the other hand...are you only weighing once a week? When I lost weight before <ahem, one of the many times> I only weighed on Mondays. Some weeks were maddening b/c I had gained or stayed the same, and it just seemed like I was so GOOD for nothing. (especially never getting treats like we do here!) I do find that sometimes the scale surprises me in a good way, and I'd have missed that if I only weighed on Mondays still. KWIM? either way, the scale is evil!!!!!!! XOXO

YOU ARE DOING FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Flutter; 02-14-2013 at 08:56 AM..
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Are you only weighing once a week?
I weigh every day, but I only count my weekly JUDDD weigh in as my official weight. I saw some good numbers this week, so today was more of a shock

Thank you so much for the love and support. I feel pretty confident things will start moving in the right direction again this week, but Dawn might be right and I may not try that double DD thing again...
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
the 2 DDs in a row is very martyrish!lol But isn't going to derail anything long term. IT's so weird that it's better to have 2 UDs in a row. I believe it though, i have eaten over my calories 2 days in a row, and then lost more than usual te next weigh in, so crazy.Enjoy your special Valentines Day meal to the fullest! I Really enjoy your weekly updates
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
You're doing great Steph! Don't let that scale get you down. I agree that two DDs in a row are a bad idea! For our metabolisms, for our mental health, everything! And if you were preening in front of the mirror and can see good changes, they are there and the scale is stupid!

I'm up 5 pounds from my recent low (from 9 pounds on Tuesday) from going off JUDDD for a little over a week, and I swear if I didn't have a scale, I would think I'd lost. I feel smaller, lighter and firmer. So we HAVE to remember that the scale is only one indicator of our progress. A really, really tough lesson to learn and I'm still learning it and convincing myself of it.

Thanks for posting, even though you didn't feel like it this week. We're all in this together, don't forget!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/190/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
I weigh every day, but I only count my weekly JUDDD weigh in as my official weight. I saw some good numbers this week, so today was more of a shock
I think this is why I couldn't be a once-a-week weigher. I bounce around way too much and need those lower numbers to keep my spirits up.

Another great recap, I love hearing about your journey as you learn more about yourself and your body, all through JUDDD!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Seriously, if I had to go with my old Monday WI's, some of my weeks would be worse than +2, Steph! A few weeks ago (or last month, they're blending together now!) I was all upset at staying within my calories and gaining 4-5# overnight. There was no rhyme or reason to it, either. Tees one off! But overall, things were clicking along great. I'm glad you saw some good numbers earlier this week. I say you ignore today's and just go with the earlier ones! Today's was a fluke anyways. <muah>
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
The scale is a LIAR and a CHEAT
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 68KG/63.9/59
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
I had a massive jump this mornig after a lovely valentines day meal and i made me just as mad! Lets hope tomorrow the scale is friendly
SICCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Yeah, they were. I didn't want to get knocked off track by a day when I couldn't count my calories, so I practiced two DD's in a row. First time I did it. And surprisingly it wasn't that hard.

But I did feel all martyrish :P

I agree with Nilla. You always brighten my day Steph! Thank you!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Yes, the scale is the devil. Sometimes it's so friendly though. It's like an indifferent lover that you can't seem to get over, and keep coming back for more abuse because sometimes, sometimes...it's very nice.

Thanks for continuing your weekly updates. They are so insightful and interesting! I hope you have a wonderful Day with your DH.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
As usual, enjoy reading your weekly update.

I just finished In Bed With The Opposition.....a delightful read. Thank you. I just had 2 more surgeries on my poor elbow. As of yesterday I was allowed to start moving it again. My Kindle and Nook on my iPad are lifesavers. Thanks to authors like you I can be entertained!

Yes, as everyone say, the scale is just a number and not one to get too upset over. I posted something about why scales fluctuate so much a while ago. I'll see if I can find it again.

You Valentine Day dinner sounded yummy. We are off to our favorite restaurant in a bit. I'll have a Mai Tai and watch the sun set before some red wine with a steak. Life can't get much better than that!

Hugs
Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Why the scales lie

Why the scales can lie

Here is the post on the scales...
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
The scale is a LIAR and a CHEAT
Yes^^^^^ and that's why the bounce doesn't effect me. The scale never takes into account TOM, my salt intake, my water intake, my "output" or general inflammation. I also think it just plain lies. For no reason and the next day... Whoosh... 3 pounds gone! I also found that every time I finally posted about being frustrated with a staying stuck scale... It laughed at me and the next day I got a whoosh. Kind of like the saying about G-d laughing when one makes plans.
your whoosh is coming Steph.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I think you've learned a valuable lesson. Double DDs do not help. Next time have 2 UDs instead. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but I think your body is fighting you because you caused it too much stress.

Also, many JBs have found that traveling causes water retention. Between the stress, travel, and 2 DDs in a row, I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Totally agree, Double DDs (triple Ds) do not work, actually make things go backwards!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Yes, the scale is the devil. Sometimes it's so friendly though. It's like an indifferent lover that you can't seem to get over, and keep coming back for more abuse because sometimes, sometimes...it's very nice.

Thanks for continuing your weekly updates. They are so insightful and interesting! I hope you have a wonderful Day with your DH.
I love that analogy for the scale, Cindy! I'm definitely going to remember that.

Steph, thanks for sharing another week's experience. I hope that you get a lovely whoosh to report next week.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
... but Dawn might be right ...
Dawn. Is. Right.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Okay, with one fiat: the combo of emotional and travel and nutritional stress can set you for upholding water...in which case, Happy Dance for only bouncing two pounds!!!

It can also set you up for any and every virus/bug you encounter...in which case, drink plenty of warm fluids.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I really, really hate the scale right now. I tried on some clothes yesterday and thought I looked pretty good and felt good. Got on the #**!!:>( scale this morning and it was ugly. I wanted to throw it out the window. Just realizing it still has power over me. For a while, I thought it didn't. I thought I could be more objective.

Anyway, this afternoon I remembered that every year about this time, it's such a battle to lose/keep off the lbs. Seems to be a pattern with me that cold weather must make me try to get well insulated.

Also salty popcorn in the evening is not a good idea if I'm so darned concerned about the scale numbers the following morning.

Let's all hang in there together!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/212/180
Steph, that darn scale was my worst enemy--no matter the result, I either felt defeated, or "high" in a way that would weaken my discipline for NOT stuffing things into my mouth to celebrate. I gave myself a chance to restart JUDDD last week (and NOT get emotional about my progress) and I've stayed off the scale so far. This is helping me. I love your weekly progress reports, and with the success you are having, the scale really isn't an issue for you like it is for me. You get mad and get over it--I get mad and give up. There's a difference. I'm learning though!

Keep up the good work!

Hopeful that tracking my progress will keep me focused! http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...d-journal.html
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I love your posts and the conversations they inspire. And I'm inspired (have been feeling less inspired lately) by you.
Let's rock this next week!
S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote