Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Does anyone else sometimes crave hot/spicy food? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/796920-does-anyone-else-sometimes-crave-hot-spicy-food.html)

Kissa 02-12-2013 03:06 AM

Does anyone else sometimes crave hot/spicy food?

Today I will be eating chillies, hot sauce, pepper, ginger et al.

I sometimes seriously crave spicy food. I lived in the Far East and India for years and that may be part of it. Sometimes nothing will satisfy me like a hot curry, be it Indian, Thai, Malaysian or a Szechwan dish or a Chilli with extra chillies.

Popovers, or hot bonnets stuffed with cheese. Hot sauce added to everything, eggs, dips, vegetables.:hyst:

I love hot food! Today is one of those days. :p:yummy:

soon 02-12-2013 04:18 AM

I dont crave it cause I use it every day haha but my spicy might be different than yours. I put red pepper flakes in my broth , I also use cajun spice on my chicken and I like cayenne and red pepper flakes on my veggies.

Dottie 02-12-2013 04:21 AM

Tabasco or salsa on eggs :)

LadyKT 02-12-2013 05:51 AM

I don't 'crave' it per se, but I do enjoy it on certain things. One being breakfast potatoes with hot sauce :yummy: Chili with extra hot sauce :yummy: Siracha in chicken salad :yummy:

The list goes on and on!

hot-in-texas 02-12-2013 05:52 AM

Kissa, I love hot food and I know what you mean by craving it. We have an Indian restaurant where I live that when I crave it, nothing else will do. My favorite kind of spice is the kind in Thai food. But I also adore Cajun, and Mexican.

KeirasMom 02-12-2013 06:05 AM

All. The. Time!

willbuyone 02-12-2013 06:42 AM

I love hot spicy foods. My favorite is Thai.

Yennie 02-12-2013 08:28 AM

Oh, all the time!!! When I lived in MN, I thought I was gonna die. This is a place where the natives tend to think ketchup is the answer to all sauce needs, and pepper (yes, pepper!) is too hot.

Kissa 02-12-2013 08:35 AM

The house is full of the scent of a vegetable curry. Basmati rice, spicy poppadoms, chilli pickle, lime pickle and garlic pickle as accompaniments and I will be in heaven.

So glad to know there are others out there.

adillenal 02-12-2013 08:44 AM

Never crave hot and/or spicy. But let's talk carrot cake

Kissa 02-12-2013 08:47 AM

Love you Adi!

But I never crave sweet things ... not that I don't eat them you understand...:o

LadyKT 02-12-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 16254888)

:laugh: Yep, that's DEFINITELY me.

Now I'm giving up sugar (all of them, real and fake) for Lent. Oooooh help me......

Flutter 02-12-2013 09:04 AM

Ack, spicy stuff? nooooo! :sick: I would be miserable in 5 seconds flat! :( I'm doing good having regular ole chili WITHOUT the hot sauce. :(

Adi had to bring up the carrot cake, though. My mom always makes the best carrot cake...I'm gonna have to get her to make some soon now! Thanks Adi! :yummy:

KeirasMom 02-12-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Carrot cake is healthy right? It's a vegetable.

I'm with Cindy, in that I don't crave sweets as a rule, but I will eat them, and carrot cake is one of my faves! :yummy: I wonder how it would be with cayenne . . . . :laugh:

Eieio 02-12-2013 09:15 AM

Dope never!
but I do have dreams of salt shakers.
Honestly the only food I ever crave is salty buttered popcorn!
What I do crave are, sounds, how weird is that?
I miss, or crave per say, people's laughter, their voices.
I crave bird sounds, gravel sounds that are made when walking, like at the lake or river.
Cat purrs, train in the distance, thunder!
I just CRAVE IT!
Now u got me started. Sm:) e
I don't like load noises!
They do the total reverse to me.

Dottie 02-12-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16254962)
Carrot cake is healthy right? It's a vegetable.

I'm with Cindy, in that I don't crave sweets as a rule, but I will eat them, and carrot cake is one of my faves! :yummy: I wonder how it would be with cayenne . . . . :laugh:

Sure! Vegetable, milk, eggs, grains- everything healthy :D

hot-in-texas 02-12-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16254962)

I wonder how it would be with cayenne . . . . :laugh:

mmm, that IS a thought...:yummy:

Flutter 02-12-2013 09:46 AM

Carrot cake, yes, healthy!! :heart:

Ei, you crack me up! Those are some lovely sounds! I want to hear the waves of the lake (or ocean!) right now. i'm sick of winter!

LadyKT 02-12-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16254973)
Sure! Vegetable, milk, eggs, grains- everything healthy :D

That reminds me of the Bill Cosby bit - "It's got eggs, wheat & milk - NUTRITION!".

Dad is great, he gives us the chocolate cake!

:hyst:

Librarygirl 02-12-2013 09:52 AM

Ehhh, spicy food can sometimes be a problem the next day. :D

I don't crave it, but I like it! Texas Pete hot sauce is my favorite brand...very flavorful compared to Tabasco. Try some hot sauce on grits with butter.:yummy:

piratejenny 02-12-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16254842)
Oh, all the time!!! When I lived in MN, I thought I was gonna die. This is a place where the natives tend to think ketchup is the answer to all sauce needs, and pepper (yes, pepper!) is too hot.

Hahaha!!!
We (Texan Mexicans) felt that way when we lived in Costa Rica. The traditional food there is NOT spicy! If you put 1/8tsp cayenne in a big pot of stew, everybody would probably cry and complain that it was too picante! The closest thing to a hot sauce that I can remember was these bottles of pickled peppers with a TINY hole in the lid...wild people would shake a couple drops of the vinegar onto their food, but rarely would anyone put any actual chiles into anything! ˇDiós guarde! (God forbid!)

Quote:

But let's talk carrot cake.

You know how carrot cake recipes usually call for vegetable oil? Well, one time I decided to make it with butter instead. And I thought, I'd better melt the butter so it doesn't mess up the recipe. And I was cooking lunch for 30 people, and kinda forgot about the butter for a little bit. :o And it almost burned. But guess what--that brown butter made the best carrot cake EVAR!!! So, umm, if you usually use oil, try that sometime. :D

Luv2Eat 02-12-2013 10:04 AM

Oh, I love spicy food! Rogan Josh, Vindaloo :heart: A well made salsa is also good, homemade is best with plenty of serrano peppers, or thai hots if I can get my hands on them, with a healthy ratio of raw onion.

:heart: Carrot Cake :heart:

Gosh, I love it all. . . .

EIEIO, love the sound of laughter, especially baby laughter.
The light ocean waves rock me to sleep.

Luv2Eat 02-12-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 16255075)
Hahaha!!!
We (Texan Mexicans) felt that way when we lived in Costa Rica. The traditional food there is NOT spicy! If you put 1/8tsp cayenne in a big pot of stew, everybody would probably cry and complain that it was too picante! The closest thing to a hot sauce that I can remember was these bottles of pickled peppers with a TINY hole in the lid...wild people would shake a couple drops of the vinegar onto their food, but rarely would anyone put any actual chiles into anything! ˇDiós guarde! (God forbid!)

You know how carrot cake recipes usually call for vegetable oil? Well, one time I decided to make it with butter instead. And I thought, I'd better melt the butter so it doesn't mess up the recipe. And I was cooking lunch for 30 people, and kinda forgot about the butter for a little bit. :o And it almost burned. But guess what--that brown butter made the best carrot cake EVAR!!! So, umm, if you usually use oil, try that sometime. :D

That carrot cake 'accident' sounds delish!!:yummy:

Your Costa Rica experience reminds me of a time I was invited to a potluck. My friend had some Vietnamese friends over. I made a chicken dish and added a bit too much dried pepper flakes. It was really hot, like searing (also a Texan here, peppers are another food group :-) Anyway, I apologized for the dish being so hot. It was the first dish to go, the Vietnamese loved it!! :eek: Another happy accident :cool:

Truffles 02-12-2013 10:13 AM

I crave hot sauce sporadically, I know what u mean. I work at a restaurant, and once in a while I will get some French fries for the sole purpose of dousing them in our home Made buffalo sauce! Delish.

I have chili garlic paste in the fridge to add to miracle noodle dishes when necessary.

adillenal 02-12-2013 10:33 AM

Well we have carrot cake today. Our 85 year old custodian makes everyone a birthday cake of their choosing and the birthday girl today chose carrot cake and let me add it is delicious. Lots of carrots and pecans so it has a few healthy aspects. I am happy.

hot-in-texas 02-12-2013 10:40 AM

After reading this thread, I see carrot cake and pad Thai in my very near future

Kissa 02-12-2013 03:34 PM

My vegetable curry was a great success!

Luv2Eat 02-12-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 16255160)
Well we have carrot cake today. Our 85 year old custodian makes everyone a birthday cake of their choosing and the birthday girl today chose carrot cake and let me add it is delicious. Lots of carrots and pecans so it has a few healthy aspects. I am happy.

What a sweetheart! I :heart: this custodian!

adillenal 02-12-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2Eat (Post 16255718)
What a sweetheart! I :heart: this custodian!

We love her too. We don't care if she ever cleans anything as long as she brings cake. :)

Yennie 02-12-2013 05:03 PM

Oh yeah! I made a pot of stew for dinner with the left over dripping from last night's roast, bone broth, more potatoes and celery. After tasting it I decided it was too bland so I dumped in a bunch of srirachi sauce. Enjoying a bowl right now, realizing I may have over-done it a bit to feed this to my kidlet but hubby & I love spicy!
In MN, I ordered all my Thai food 5 stars. Because otherwise it was not spicy enough. And there was a restaruant there that sold buffalo wings and had, like, 15-20 sauce choices. My absolute favorite was the mango habinero, which was 2nd from the hottest on their scale. I once tried their hottest but it just didn't have good flavor to it.