Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Nori, Noshing for Next to Nothing (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/796910-nori-noshing-next-nothing.html)

LoosinItNow 02-11-2013 07:01 PM

Nori, Noshing for Next to Nothing

Well... the ingredients say "seaweed", don't know if it is all Nori, but Sea's Gift Seaweed snacks are AWSOME! I don't really care for seafood at all, and to me most seaweed tastes "fishy", so I usually don't go there. But I saw "sweet" on one of the packages, and wondered...

To me the sweetness of the seasoning wipes out anything fishy. The snack packs are only 30 cals (35 for the sweet version), and hits the mark when I want a lite snack on a DD. Who knew? I encourage anyone to try them, even if you don't think you like seaweed!

Carly 02-11-2013 07:19 PM

I have 10 calorie packs from H-Mart that I love! I may have a pack with laughing cow light cheese tonight.

Yennie 02-11-2013 07:52 PM

Hmm, gonna have to look for these. And the Laughing Cow. Been trying to get to Costco for over a week but somehow no time. Urg!

sorenkkg 02-11-2013 08:26 PM

I like the big ones, and wrap tuna salad in them... Ouiz has a thread on this too! Great snack!

KeirasMom 02-12-2013 06:08 AM

I've been eating Nori since high school, but my best friend is Japanese. I love the stuff. When I get the "snacks" I like the wasabi flavored version. Otherwise the whole sheets are much less expensive and much more versatile.

Dottie 02-12-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 16254095)
I like the big ones, and wrap tuna salad in them... Ouiz has a thread on this too! Great snack!

That sounds good:)
I make spring rolls. shredded lettuce or cabbage, a thai style dressing tossed then add cooked shrimp or pork or chicken and roll them up - same as a spring roll without the rice paper wrapper, works great:)

sorenkkg 02-12-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16254505)
That sounds good:)
I make spring rolls. shredded lettuce or cabbage, a thai style dressing tossed then add cooked shrimp or pork or chicken and roll them up - same as a spring roll without the rice paper wrapper, works great:)

Genius Dottie!

I add some wasabi (or horseradish) to my tuna, makes it a bit more asian tasting...

ouizoid 02-12-2013 07:08 AM

the Chipotle seasnax is the BEST, especially if you like spicy. Whenever I can find the giant ones I use them to make the best roll ups.

hot-in-texas 02-12-2013 07:58 AM

where do you find these snacks?
Also, when I see nori at the store it is like square dark green sheets? Is that what you use to wrap stuff with, do you have to cook it first or heat it or moisten it somehow?

KeirasMom 02-12-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot-in-texas (Post 16254741)
Also, when I see nori at the store it is like square dark green sheets? Is that what you use to wrap stuff with, do you have to cook it first or heat it or moisten it somehow?

I've seen them at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods (the small snax). The full sheets can be purchased in the Asian aisle at just about any grocery store. They do not need to be heated. If you're adding anything with a small amount of moisture (tuna, etc.), the moisture from the food is enough to make them pliable. If you want to make them smaller, just fold and tear to the right size before you add any food/moisture.

Carly 02-12-2013 08:12 AM

You don't have to heat it or cook it. It is very thin and can be rolled up or bent with out really tearing. I usually eat it plain, because I just love the taste. I have some that are teriyaki. I get the pack of big sheets for wraps, but the little 10 calorie snack packs for DDs.

ouizoid 02-12-2013 08:41 AM

for those of you who care about these things, the seasnax brand does not have msg or bad oils. Only olive oil.

piratejenny 02-12-2013 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hot-in-texas (Post 16254741)

I like to roast my nori sheets first.

I put it in a pre-heated skillet (dry, no oil). It changes color & gets a little crispy as it roasts. You can still wrap stuff in it, and it will be less chewy than "raw" nori. You can crumble it into salads & soups, or over rice.

I used to make a yummy salad with short-grain brown rice, avocodo, toasted nori, and a ginger-sesame dressing. Hmmm...maybe I should make that again soon! My son would love it!!!

The snacks, I get at an Asian store. They're available at health food stores, but in much tinier & more expensive packages!

Here's a pkg of 400 pieces that I got for maybe $8!

sorenkkg 02-12-2013 11:07 AM

I get the snacks at Costco, often (but not always, you know how they are :rolleyes: ). I get a box of 9 packages, and each package has 3 snack packs in it (the 30cal ones). roasted with salt and I think olive oil or peanut oil... I have trouble eating just 1, so I usually budget for the 100cals and eat all 3 :D
:yummy: