Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   strange (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/796804-strange.html)

TryingJudd 02-10-2013 07:25 AM

strange
 
So I have this strange conundrum. I have never shared my weight with DH and never will. We've been married for 30+ years and he has been great support through all my ups and downs with various different diets and never once has given me any grief about my weight. We're both pretty active but he has always been slim though he thinks otherwise and is a daily runner.

Soooo - now that I have lost about 40ish pounds (thank you JUDDD and JUDDD Budds) we are within a few pounds of each other. In fact, I am below him BUT my stupid $#@! digital scale thinks we are the same person and is giving us both wonky readings trying to be consistent. So he keeps thinking the scale is broken or wrong AND I can't tell if the high weight I just got today is real or because he was on it last and recently. Grrrrrrr. We both weigh in the morning and I threw the other scale away. I don't want to set it for individual weights (not even sure this model has that capability) and I don't want to buy another one. Any ideas?

Carly 02-10-2013 07:32 AM

I don't know what to tell you. Maybe get a 2nd scale or set the one you have for individual users.

KeirasMom 02-10-2013 07:58 AM

If it's digital, you can reset it each time by either weighing something else, or I turn my foot sideways and just weigh one leg, let it register, then zero out, and then step on it.

Dottie 02-10-2013 08:02 AM

Mine will recalibrate if I thump it on the floor hard enough :laugh:

Mrs S 02-10-2013 08:07 AM

I've never shared my weight with DH either. Maybe someday.

Try taking the batteries out and putting them back in before you weigh.

Cindy-lou 02-10-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16251056)
If it's digital, you can reset it each time by either weighing something else, or I turn my foot sideways and just weigh one leg, let it register, then zero out, and then step on it.

I think that is the best idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16251062)
Mine will recalibrate if I thump it on the floor hard enough :laugh:

This made me LOL :hyst:

TryingJudd 02-10-2013 08:57 AM

Great ideas - thanks. I think I will ignore today's weight and start fresh tomorrow after trying to recalibrate the scale for me. Will likely do it both before and after I weigh so that DH doesn't get wise LOL!!

Librarygirl 02-10-2013 09:28 AM

Lol, I can't imagine not sharing my weight with my bf. He probably just hears it in one ear, and it's out the other. :D I think mine just registers my new weigh in every day (it's digital) and then it will show me previous weigh ins after I step off. However, each new time I weigh, it's accurate. I think. I never thought about it weighing me wrong because it had other weigh-ins saved.:dunno:

Carly 02-10-2013 12:50 PM

I'm backward from most people, but I weigh typically 3 pounds more in the morning than I can expect to weigh at 7pm that evening. I think medication I take at bedtime has me retain water for about 12-14 hours and then I "release" it late morning all through the day. My scale is like Dottie's a hard thud against the floor resets it :hyst:

I have had a few times where the scale said the same exact weight (ex: 134.4) for 4 days. That just didn't seem human and all of a sudden it just started bouncing again.

DW gets on the scale now and then and she weighs more than 70 pound more than I do and the scale never has an issue telling us apart... good for me- no so good for DW...

VioletsGrandMom 02-10-2013 05:51 PM

I never told my husband my weight either. Then last weekend, I had terrible abdominal pains and went to the ER - they thought I was having a heart attack and kept me overnight. Did you know that some hospital beds weigh you? The nurse yelled my weight over to the other nurse and my husband was right there! My heart is fine and I have to go to a belly doctor later so if that was the worst thing that happened to me, I guess I was lucky. Kinda shocked me though. :(

mom23kids 02-11-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16251062)
Mine will recalibrate if I thump it on the floor hard enough :laugh:

:laugh:

KeirasMom 02-11-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VioletsGrandMom (Post 16252017)
I never told my husband my weight either. Then last weekend, I had terrible abdominal pains and went to the ER - they thought I was having a heart attack and kept me overnight. Did you know that some hospital beds weigh you? The nurse yelled my weight over to the other nurse and my husband was right there! My heart is fine and I have to go to a belly doctor later so if that was the worst thing that happened to me, I guess I was lucky. Kinda shocked me though. :(

:hugs: I hope you're feeling better now.

Librarygirl 02-11-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VioletsGrandMom (Post 16252017)
I never told my husband my weight either. Then last weekend, I had terrible abdominal pains and went to the ER - they thought I was having a heart attack and kept me overnight. Did you know that some hospital beds weigh you? The nurse yelled my weight over to the other nurse and my husband was right there! My heart is fine and I have to go to a belly doctor later so if that was the worst thing that happened to me, I guess I was lucky. Kinda shocked me though. :(

How scary!! I hope everything is okay now.:console: I had chest pains one night and went to the doctor. They did an EKG which came back abnormal, sent me by ambulance to the ER...I went through stress tests and a heart catharization all to find out I had (apparent) acid reflux. It was extremely scary, so I do know how you feel.

sorenkkg 02-11-2013 09:45 AM

:hugs: to VioletsGrandMom -- that's very scary, glad you're better.

TJ-- I'm amazed your scale stores your weight :p Mine has a person 1 and a person 2 (and an option for "guest") and it stores our height, age, m/f, but not our current weight. The only thing I see in the morning is if DH was the last person to weigh or if it was me...

I do share my weight with him though. Mostly, I just say if I'm down or up, but I do occasionally say the number. Since he loses so much faster than I do, he tries not to tell me all that often how much he has lost or what number he's at, but I try to encourage him to do so. Right now, he's still heavier than me... but at 6'3", he should be :)
He wants to get to under 200, and I want to get to 160, so as long as I lose at a good rate, I won't have to sabotage him before goal. :cool:
:aprayer:

vanilla_latte 02-11-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16251056)
If it's digital, you can reset it each time by either weighing something else, or I turn my foot sideways and just weigh one leg, let it register, then zero out, and then step on it.

This is what I have to do. I weighed the exact same for a month, I think it was, and DH informed me that it gets stuck. Thank heavens, it doesn't show the last weight!

Like your DH, mine has never given me any grief over my weight, has been supportive of the 300+ diets I've been on and loves me like I am. :heart: But, I've never told him my weight and the only time I plan to is when/if I can lose down to within a few pounds of where I'd like to be. So, he may never know if I can't get there. :laugh:

TryingJudd 02-11-2013 06:39 PM

Yeah, I was horrified that DH would figure out that even after a year of dieting that basically I weigh approximately what he does. Oh boy. I think I have been able to reset the scale by doing the one leg dance and letting it zero out as suggested by all you smart folks. Unfortunately that means the high weight I saw this morning is oh so real and not what my husband weighs but my fall out from two UDs this weekend with one a certifiable UUAD.

jenericstewart 02-12-2013 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TryingJudd (Post 16250993)
So I have this strange conundrum. I have never shared my weight with DH and never will. We've been married for 30+ years and he has been great support through all my ups and downs with various different diets and never once has given me any grief about my weight. We're both pretty active but he has always been slim though he thinks otherwise and is a daily runner.

Soooo - now that I have lost about 40ish pounds (thank you JUDDD and JUDDD Budds) we are within a few pounds of each other. In fact, I am below him BUT my stupid $#@! digital scale thinks we are the same person and is giving us both wonky readings trying to be consistent. So he keeps thinking the scale is broken or wrong AND I can't tell if the high weight I just got today is real or because he was on it last and recently. Grrrrrrr. We both weigh in the morning and I threw the other scale away. I don't want to set it for individual weights (not even sure this model has that capability) and I don't want to buy another one. Any ideas?

i thought i was the only one not to share my weight with hubby. :D this is one of the reasons i won't get one of those digital scales until i'm in onderland, a less embarrassing weight. my mom has a digital one, and i remember her laughing over my nephew's weight (400+ lbs), wondering if he realized that he left that on her scale. poor kid. :sad:

Every time i've tried her scale, i had an awful time resetting it. it won't reset with something small. so i eventually would put quite a bit of weight on it to show a different weight. the last few years i didn't bother even getting on her scale for fear i couldn't reset it. seems silly to some. i mean, it's obvious i am heavy. :cool:

Kismet311 02-12-2013 03:48 AM

I must have a crummy scale because it doesn't remember weights LOL I never programed it although I know you can (with height and age etc.). My hubby uses it once in a while and has never said anything. I don't want him to know my weight!

Kissa 02-12-2013 03:50 AM

Mine doesn't have a memory, thank heavens.

adillenal 02-12-2013 04:05 AM

My digital scale is a Tanita and each person has there own "on" button you tap with your toe and it doesn't remember anything you don't program into it. I love my scale and my weight has never been a secret although it is not something DH and have ever discussed that I can remember. We have too many other things to worry about than each others weight.:)

JayLynn 02-12-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16254274)
Mine doesn't have a memory, thank heavens.


Your scale? or your DH? :hyst:

Dottie 02-12-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayLynn (Post 16254365)
Your scale? or your DH? :hyst:

:hyst:

zipp2play 02-12-2013 05:56 AM

My scale and my DH don't have memory. He knows how much I weigh. When we first started JUDDD I didn't want it to be about a number to me, so he weighed me and I didn't look. He loves me for what I am, big or small, on the inside!

Luv2Eat 02-12-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16254395)
:hyst:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayLynn (Post 16254365)
Your scale? or your DH? :hyst:

:hyst:

Librarygirl 02-12-2013 06:28 AM

I guess my bf can see how much I weigh whether I tell him what it says on the scales or not. :D :D

KeirasMom 02-12-2013 07:57 AM

I weighed Lily (the "little" mastiff/great dane puppy) last night by weighing myself, then weighing myself holding her. Just so you all know . . . she now weighs 26 pounds! She's gained 8 pounds in a week and a half. If anyone should be embarrassed, she should! :hyst:

Librarygirl 02-12-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16254274)
Mine doesn't have a memory, thank heavens.

Your dh or your scale? :hyst:

Carly 02-12-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16254274)
Mine doesn't have a memory, thank heavens.

I wasn't sure if you were talking about the scale or DH. I thought at first you meant DH, but after a good chuckle decided you meant the scale. :dunno: :laugh:

Kept reading and realized we all thought that!!!!!

Majella 02-12-2013 08:20 AM

I had to read the manual on my scales because I had the same problem because it measures fat% and other stuff so he's profile 1 and i'm profile 2 :) or just buy your very own scales!

sorenkkg 02-12-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16254739)
I weighed Lily (the "little" mastiff/great dane puppy) last night by weighing myself, then weighing myself holding her. Just so you all know . . . she now weighs 26 pounds! She's gained 8 pounds in a week and a half. If anyone should be embarrassed, she should! :hyst:

Now now... she's a growing girl, and you don't want to instill bad body image issues in her!
;)

I'm sure 8lbs in 10 days is just great! Also, you can't post about your puppy without a picture-- I'm pretty sure that's a LCF rule... Dottie will totally back me up on this. :laugh:

S.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:40 PM.