Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   3 Reasons to Eat Dinner Early (16 hour fast) from Eating Well (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/796674-3-reasons-eat-dinner-early-16-hour-fast-eating-well.html)

Zib 02-08-2013 08:17 AM

3 Reasons to Eat Dinner Early (16 hour fast) from Eating Well

Got this on FB today and thought I'd share.

Google: eatingwell 3 Reasons to Eat Dinner Early

Three new health benefits from eating dinner early.

We all know we should be getting to sleep earlier than we do. (Skimping on sleep, not only makes you feel sluggish the next day, it can also increase your risk for heart disease, depression and high blood pressure—just to name a few risk factors.) Now recent studies are showing that we would also benefit from turning the clock forward when it comes to dinner. Of course, you save money by going for the early-bird special; but here are three more healthy reasons why an early dinner is a good idea.

1. Slimmer Waist

Mice who eat an early dinner and then fast for 16 hours are slimmer than those who eat the same amount of calories, but snack around the clock, according to a study in Cell Metabolism. Researchers suspect that the longer lapse between meals allows the body to process the food more efficiently. They noticed that even mice fed a high-fat diet gained less weight when they fasted for 16 hours than those who eat more frequently. Good news for mice—and perhaps just another reason for us to say goodbye to late-night meals and snacks.

2. Sweeter Dreams

Avoid large meals late at night. According to the National Institutes of Health, late-night meals can cause indigestion that interferes with sleep. The same goes for alcohol. While a nightcap might help you relax before bed and initially fall asleep, drinking as little as two alcoholic drinks actually robs you of deep sleep and REM sleep, which means you wake up more frequently. Alcohol-related sleep disturbances are worse for women, say researchers at the University of Michigan.

3. Better Health

According to Dr. Louis J. Aronne, Director of the Weight Control Program at Weill Cornell Medical College-New York Presbyterian Hospital, people who eat late at night tend to eat more. In addition, studies show that late-night noshing increases triglyceride levels, a type of fat found in your blood. When you eat, your body converts any calories it doesn't use right away into triglycerides; and high levels may increase your risk of heart attack and stroke.

sunday 02-08-2013 08:47 AM

I have been doing the 8 hour window since 1st of Jan and feel like a new woman! Love the difference in my health and so much easier to stay on plan. I believe this is the reason that PHD recommends this, because of the balancing of our circadian rhythm.

mom23kids 02-08-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16247704)
I have been doing the 8 hour window since 1st of Jan and feel like a new woman! Love the difference in my health and so much easier to stay on plan. I believe this is the reason that PHD recommends this, because of the balancing of our circadian rhythm.

What's your window? Do you change it around or keep it the same every day?

hot-in-texas 02-08-2013 09:43 AM

very interesting Sunday, I am a late night eater, so I will*try* to start doing this.

sunday 02-08-2013 10:01 AM

My window is 10 am to 6 pm. However, I usually eat within 7 hours. So, 11-6. Amazingly, I have done JUDDD for so long that I felt this would be a big deal to adhere to. It isn't! It is much easier and helps you to remain with your calorie numbers. :) I know that a few of our successful JUDDD budds have done this all along, Carly and Nancy. On DD I would do one meal, and on UD two. I think if I had adopted this from the beginning, I would have possibly had an easier time without so many stalls. :dunno:

mom23kids 02-08-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16247871)
My window is 10 am to 6 pm. However, I usually eat within 7 hours. So, 11-6. Amazingly, I have done JUDDD for so long that I felt this would be a big deal to adhere to. It isn't! It is much easier and helps you to remain with your calorie numbers. :) I know that a few of our successful JUDDD budds have done this all along, Carly and Nancy. On DD I would do one meal, and on UD two. I think if I had adopted this from the beginning, I would have possibly had an easier time without so many stalls. :dunno:

Thanks!

sunday 02-08-2013 10:05 AM

Sher, I am not a typical late night eater, but in the past if I did'nt eat well and indulged in a couple of slices of pizza w/ a glass of wine, I have a tendency to want a snack of something even worse later. Does that make sense? Like chips & queso or chocolate. :p

Now, I am selecting better nutrient dense foods, because I only have one shot and then my window closes. It helps me to keep it real. :D

InTheLight 02-08-2013 10:12 AM

I'm gonna give this 8 hour window a try - it sounds good and definitely makes sense, so thanks for sharing! :kicking: :D

jdforshort 02-08-2013 10:36 AM

Very interesting article Zib, thanks for sharing! I have dinner early too but do snack later, going to try and follow Sunday's window suggestion, may be 10 hrs initially and then reduce it!

:heart::heart:JBs

sunday 02-08-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16247799)
What's your window? Do you change it around or keep it the same every day?

Sara, this will work very well on 5:2. :) The next step in my journey is to move over to 5:2 keeping the 7 hour window. Just don't want to lose my good night's sleep. So, essentially, I will be fasting daily with a twice weekly DD. :up:

mom23kids 02-08-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16248023)
Sara, this will work very well on 5:2. :) The next step in my journey is to move over to 5:2 keeping the 7 hour window. Just don't want to lose my good night's sleep. So, essentially, I will be fasting daily with a twice weekly DD. :up:

I'm very intrigued :D

Carly 02-08-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16247871)

But my normal window is late often 7:30pm-9:30pm on DD and 1pm or later till 9:30pm on UD. I know I could never be done eating by 6pm or 7pm. I'm sure I'd be healthier if I could, but just like Gluten Free- I'm not there.

sunday 02-08-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16248439)
But my normal window is late often 7:30pm-9:30pm on DD and 1pm or later till 9:30pm on UD. I know I could never be done eating by 6pm or 7pm. I'm sure I'd be healthier if I could, but just like Gluten Free- I'm not there.

I forgot that you have the late meal. Well, it certainly didn't affect your losses. You don't suffer with sleep issues either? Most of the time are you eating in a window, even if it is late?

I am amazed at how my sleep has changed. I used to wake several times and unfortunately, never felt like I slept a solid 8 hours.

Carly 02-08-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16248505)
I forgot that you have the late meal. Well, it certainly didn't affect your losses. You don't suffer with sleep issues either? Most of the time are you eating in a window, even if it is late?

I am amazed at how my sleep has changed. I used to wake several times and unfortunately, never felt like I slept a solid 8 hours.

Yes, usually these hours. I'm not strict with it, but it's my natural rhythem, so most DDs are 7:30pm-9:30pm and most UDs I eat some time later than 1pm and stop with my bedtime snack around 9:30pm. However, if I wake up starving after a particularly low DD. I will eat. I'm not wedded to an eating window, but I just feel better the later I wait to eat. Most mornings that I have breakfast I end up regretting it. I get groggy and sluggish no matter what the make up of the food. Also, I don't close my eating window other than that is when I eat my bedtime snack and go to bed. If I was out past 10:30pm, which is rare I would eat a small snack at 11pm with my bedtime medications so I don't adhere to it as religiously as UD/DD rotations, but I'm a creature of habit so most of the time it works out as stated above.

My sleep is often terrible, but I've always had sleep issues including the whole sleepwalking and sleep eating issue, but that has been way-way better.