Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
31 Weeks on JUDDD -- Steady She Goes

Today I weighed in at 254lbs, for a loss of 0 lb this week, 36 lbs total, 32 of them on JUDDD.

It's another zero week but I'm not grumpy about this one because it was actually my intention to maintain for a few weeks after I found myself in a bad place last week. I needed to finish my last Cleopatra book (I turned it in this week!), start promoting my new 1920s era romance that released yesterday in bookstores around the country (that's still a thrill), celebrate my birthday, and write a eulogy. This seemed like a good time to maintain, and maintain I did, with relatively little effort.

So, here's the upsides and downsides.

Downsides

Up Days are Still a Free For All. I start them out with the best intentions, then find myself sliding into the danger zone by the end of the evening. My latest theory is that I'm overdoing it on the sugar and carbs and that I'm going to cut back in future.

No Longer Craving Veggies. When I started this, I wanted apples and kale and eggplant and strawberries and wonderfully healthy foods. Now I want brie and bacon.

Upsides

Lobster Love! So, I decided that my birthday was going to be an up up and away day the moment my husband walked in the door with lobsters and red velvet cake. But lobster is actually a surprisingly good calorie bargain and even after dipping it in clarified butter, I was actually pretty close to my numbers that night. It was nice--very nice--to be able to eat treats that friends sent (chocolate covered strawberries) and relax without worrying that I was going to undo all my hard work. I knew I might not lose any weight this week, but I wouldn't gain any, and that is not something I could say with any assurance on any other plan. So, the gift of enjoying my birthday and feeling hopeful that JUDDD is going to help me celebrate more of them helped me fall back in love with this WOE this week.

Good Down Days. Because I gave up on being so stubborn about getting the lowest possible down day numbers, I used up a few calories for a before-bed snack and had no insomnia at all this week. Also, using shirataki noodles and gluc powder again made my down days a snap. Sure, I don't need those products anymore. But they take the edge off. In fact, on yesterday's down day I made a shirataki egg-drop soup (75 cal) for lunch. It makes enough for two bowls and I intended to eat both of them, but I forgot to eat the other one. I forgot to eat! On a down day!

Body Image Shock. The other day I looked down and realized I could no longer see my belly below my breasts. Puzzled, I stuck out my tummy as far as it could go. Nope, still couldn't see it. I hunted down my husband. "Look! What happened? I didn't even lose any weight this week." He gathered that I must have lost some inches and wasn't that more important anyway?

Security. I have to take the train to my hometown this weekend for a funeral and I will have to change my rotations because of it. On any other diet, I would have panicked. Even when I was starting JUDDD, I'd have panicked. But now I just calmly decided to change my rotation so that I could make my two down days fall on the train ride. I'll either follow Dawn's example and grab a Wendy's chili or I'll take a page from Soren's book and bring some beef stix and bars with me. Either way, I feel in control of the situation. And I have all you to thank! XOXOXO

Last edited by stephdray; 02-06-2013 at 10:51 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Can't wait to read your books, Steph!
Glad you made it through your tough week. And congrats on all your NSVs.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I just realized you're an author-sooo cool! I'm a voracious reader and would love to check out your books can you give me some of your titles-you can pm me if u want
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
This week's update made my heart sing. I'm so happy you are at peace and able to maintain with all you have going on. That's a major victory. Plus, not being able to see your belly below your boobs?! How wonderful is that feeling? I just those unexpected NSVs. I remember very clearly the day I was tying my tennis shoes and realized I wasn't turning sideways, and my knee was pulled up to my chest. Goofy, I suppose, but it was thrilling!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #5

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
What a great update. Thanks for this, as always, Steph.

I love that your upsides this week outweighed your downsides, and on a week when you didn't lose. JUDDD calm.

I love making travel days DDs. The food that is available at roadside places (or train stations, I assume) is junk anyway and not up day worthy to me. Sure, some days I want to eat at Burger King, but when that or any other crap food place is my only choice, I rebel. DDs are just easier to make travel days. As long as I have hot water for my tea, I'm good to go anywhere!

Have a safe trip and know that our love and well wishes go with you, this week and always.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I just realized you're an author-sooo cool! I'm a voracious reader and would love to check out your books can you give me some of your titles-you can pm me if u want
You can google stephanie dray on amazon.

Thanks for the update, Steph!! So glad you had a wonderful birthday and maintained! I have found that 5:2 works for maintaining very well, and you might try that when you're on a busy schedule that interferes with DD's.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
I see glimpses of our Steph back and taking the bull by the horns!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/164/140)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Wonderful update, Steph!! Isn't it great to be able to maintain & not panic? That's one of the main reasons I love JUDDD so much!!
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Love the NSV belly!

I think we started about the same time and most of your updates have reflected my weekly experience too. Yep, cutting back on carbs, but not to Atkins induction levels Found some Land O Lakes canned whipped cream sweetened with sucralose - goes great with Almond milk, gluc chocolate pudding, yum! Decadent, low carb and lowish calorie
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Awww, Steph, you "sound" great today! I'm so happy you had a lovely birthday, got your latest book in and are experiencing some Juddd calm to boot. Yay!!!!

ETA! That disappearing tummy, too, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #11

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
What a great update. So glad your birthday was such fun, lobster really is a wonder food, you have me planning shrimp for my DD tomorrow!

Maintaining is a powerful tool and you have it mastered. I am sure you will handle your travel DDs with ease and your time with your family will be very special.

And lack of tummy is a bonus at any time, yay!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Thanks for another great update. Congrats on the book and what a marvelous NSV, bye- bye tummy.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
The picture of you sticking out your belly to try to see it is hilarious and wonderful at the same time!

Hey, just want to say that I've been cutting back on carbs a bit lately -- not out, but back -- and I have to say it made my up day yesterday the easiest I've experienced in months! I had 600 calories left at 8pm and wondered what to eat. That is not typical! So your idea might have something to it.

I'm so glad you had a lovely birthday and are about to release a book!

Last edited by calichris; 02-06-2013 at 09:05 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/151/145
Start Date: March 2012
I always love travel DD's. i always feel like traveling is a bit of a waste of time and now I feel like I am acheiving something sitting in my seat. I think that knowing how to maintain during breaks was a major bonus for me as well. I used to regain during stressful times and now I know how to just stay the same until my motivation comes back. It is great to hear how you are giving yourself a break and being successful at maintenance. I am happy you are getting some NSV's as well!
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I this update!

I think, on your downsides, that food whims come and go (right now, I'm in a luxurious-yogurt-on-dd mode...) and you can just roll with it. Take your vitamins to make up for some of the fewer veggies/fruits, and don't stress it.

Love all the upsides, of course! I agree with the hubby, losing inches and having things move around is all part of the weight-loss scenario. *remind me of this in a week or a month when I am freaking out, ok?*

I'm also impressed with you guys who can do a DD on a travel day-- I want to learn to do that, so I will take this thread and the replies into my mind-cave and mull it over.
Usually, I'm bored-hungry, and eat all day, and try to make my travel on UDs... maybe that's bc I seem to only travel outside my timezone? hmmm

Anyhoo-- I agree with everyone, I think *our* Steph is back! Keep on rockin, b/c you are totally making this work for you, and helping everyone along the way too!

p.s. Love that Cindy, our library-girl, was the first one in on where to find a book!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Congratulations on the books Steph!! What an amazing accomplishment. I'll be looking for the 1920's romance, I love anything set in that time period.

Your weekly updates are such a joy to read, I look forward to them every week.
deedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Congratulations on such a successful week, Steph. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. Great NSVs. Lovely to hear you sounding so happy !
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #18

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Soren, I'm mostly doing car travel, not airline travel, so my experiences are skewed for this.

If I'm near a kitchen on a down day, my mind is in there rummaging...going through the pantry and figuring out what I can/cannot eat.

When I'm traveling, I have an arsenal of things to do--book(s), facebook, little portable art projects, music, books on my iPhone, etc, etc. I have plenty to do, so not bored. And I'm not willing to spend money on crap food. I'll gladly fork over for something delicious, but when you want to clog my arteries, mutilate my taste buds and charge me for the privilege, um, no thanks.

I carry tea bags in my backpack (which goes with me everywhere, I no longer carry a purse) and get hot water at most any roadside place with a coffee machine. Sometimes I carry milk in a thermos bottle, other times I buy those little cups of half-and-half and stash them in my backpack, so I always have the makings for several cups of tea with me at all times. Tea and I are good friends on DDs (and on UDs). So if I have a fresh cup of tea, and a bathroom break, I am good for a couple more hours on the road. DH buys a diet Mountain Dew at each stop, we gas up, and head on our way. Nice and easy.

The only exception to this is when we flew to South Africa. Domestic flights were terrible, as I'm used to, but once we got onto South African Airlines they treated us like kings. Hot meals, with vegetables, dessert, tea, the whole thing that you see in old movies. I'd never been treated so well on an airline. Those travel days were up days, and gladly relished.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
I this update!

I think, on your downsides, that food whims come and go (right now, I'm in a luxurious-yogurt-on-dd mode...) and you can just roll with it. Take your vitamins to make up for some of the fewer veggies/fruits, and don't stress it.

Love all the upsides, of course! I agree with the hubby, losing inches and having things move around is all part of the weight-loss scenario. *remind me of this in a week or a month when I am freaking out, ok?*

I'm also impressed with you guys who can do a DD on a travel day-- I want to learn to do that, so I will take this thread and the replies into my mind-cave and mull it over.
Usually, I'm bored-hungry, and eat all day, and try to make my travel on UDs... maybe that's bc I seem to only travel outside my timezone? hmmm

Anyhoo-- I agree with everyone, I think *our* Steph is back! Keep on rockin, b/c you are totally making this work for you, and helping everyone along the way too!

p.s. Love that Cindy, our library-girl, was the first one in on where to find a book!
S.
Hee hee, I realized after I wrote that, that I said "google on Amazon". When did "google" become synomymous with "search"?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Hee hee, I realized after I wrote that, that I said "google on Amazon". When did "google" become synomymous with "search"?
Not sure, but the google boys are laughing too...all the way to the bank!!!
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Yeah, I wish I'd bought some stock way back when people asked me, "What is Google?"