Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Gluten Free ~ a rant!

Grrr! So I decided that Keira and I will be going gluten free for the next two weeks, then reintroduce the gluten and see if we react. I was very thoughtful about picking items Keira can take to school/daycare which I thought would be okay (ex, I packed her lunch today: GF bread with almond butter, banana, and honey; raisins, sweet potato chips, and pistachios for snacks). I specifically didn't include any peanut products because I know a lot of schools/daycares restrict access due to allergies.

DH just called. He dropped off Keira at daycare with her lunch and explained what we're doing. They got all freaked out and said they have to lock her lunch up because it contains nuts. Okay, I might be able to understand that, but then they said she needs to provide a doctor's note if she can't eat what they serve.

As a parent, I don't think I need to get a doctor's note to provide her with a lunch other than what the facility serves. I think that's ludicrous. I get to decide what goes into her body. The fact that we're only doing this as a trial run makes it even more crazy. I have to involve the medical establishment?

Anyway, normally she'd be at school on a Monday, but they're doing a teacher in-service day today and next Monday as well. I will have to check the school's website to see what their policy is, but I've sent her with a cold lunch in the past with no problems, so I don't think there's an issue there.

Rant over.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
I heard of a similar reaction but it was headstart not daycare. It seems over the top. Maybe they misunderstood?
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Dawn, I don't blame you for being upset...I think so many people who deal with schools and medical people get over the top reactions like you did...as my grandfather used to say....some people can screw up a one car funeral...that's what this kind of thing reminds me of...they just over reacted. IMO.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #4

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Joining in rant. Infuriating!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Is this a public school? Do you pay for a meal plan? I've never heard of only having the option to eat the school provided lunch...

Also, what do they provide that is so much better/healthier? I've yet to see a school lunch that has any veggie other than canned peas/carrots or boxed mashed potatoes. And they keep "nuts" out of all their food? Please...that's next to impossible.

Makes me angry too!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Ridiculous! All I can think is if it's free day care (?) and they are mandated to serve a certain amount of nutritious food per child, per day? Not that I know anything at all about it, but just trying to figure out what in the world!?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Wow this just makes me fist-pounding ticked off!! What the heck!! I agree with you that YOU determine what goes in your child's body. I can't imagine a facility making any kind of healthy food.

In one of the schools I worked in, there was a strict no nuts policy. I kind of get that issue because of the life and death reactions some kids have, but to have a doctor's note if she can't eat what they serve?? I know it is all about liability, but come on.This kind of stuff just goes too far!!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
i think it's BS. Fine, no nuts. But having to get a Drs note to eat a home provided lunch? Were they just copping an attitude or what?
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I am so sorry. I wonder where the students who have high peanut sensitivity eat? In the same area? Do they let all students sit together?
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #10

This is a paid daycare facility. We pay full price and meals are included. That being said, if I choose to pack a lunch for her, I expect that they will allow her to eat it.

DH just called and said they won't allow her to eat her lunch at all. Now that the administrator is there, they've determined that she can't bring a lunch at all, without a doctor's note. They told him he could pick her up and take her home for lunch, then bring her back. They mentioned the nuts being an issue, but also said it wouldn't have mattered what she brought, as they don't allow ANY outside food to come into their facility. They said they could give her what the other kids are eating and just not give her any bread products. DH asked them if they read all the labels and can assure us that there's no gluten, and they said they could NOT unless they have advanced notice and a doctor's note.

DH told them he'd be picking her up for sure before lunch, but would not be bringing her back today. We are very close to pulling her out completely. DH isn't working right now and this is just an added expense, so it may end up being an option just to pull her out. I just can't believe it.

They normally serve such healthy options as pizza and cookies, usually along with a fresh fruit or vegetable (I will give them credit for that).
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
How frustrating that it could not have been allowed.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

poor Keira, I hope they didn't make her feel bad. I think this is so dumb, it deserves media attention.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I am so sorry. I wonder where the students who have high peanut sensitivity eat? In the same area? Do they let all students sit together?
Apparently they don't allow nuts at all. I get that, but no outside food, even if there are no nuts?

They do all eat together in the same area. I guess I'm the first parent to provide a lunch. I'm floored.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 330/249/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Wow this is absolutely outrageous! I hope you take her out of there.
Makes me wonder what other crazy rules or ideas this place has.
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Well obviously those people don't need to be getting one more dime of your hard earned money!

But I came across a, for me, faster and more do-able way to test for food sensitivity than the draconian elimination diet--may not be the gold standard, but as we say in the theatre, close enough for summer stock!

First thing in the morning before eating anything, take Keira's resting pulse. Then feed her some wheat--JUST wheat, no fillers, or other ingredients (or whatever pure food you want to test her reaction to). For wheat I used a shredded wheat biscuit, 100% wheat. Then wait about half an hour and take her resting pulse again. If it's increased by more than 15 points, she's most likely sensitive to that food.

I did this with eggs, corn, rice, dairy and wheat. Wheat shot my pulse up 20 points, none of the others did. I was amazed...and have been gluten free ever since!

--Patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #17

Wow, Patty, that is really interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Cool Patty! Sometimes I notice my pulse racing above 100, but I never knew it might be food that triggered it!!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
Cool Patty! Sometimes I notice my pulse racing above 100, but I never knew it might be food that triggered it!!
Ditto! Thank you for sharing that test Patty!

Dawn, hugs for the frustration!
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Dawn-you know what's ironic is that when you were describing Keira's lunch (before you got to the "incident"), my first thought was that that was probably the healthiest lunch I've ever seen a kid bring to school!........and I'm an elementary school teacher and have seen a lot of lunches!

Is it possible that the staff member just misunderstood the rules? ie that each student shall be OFFERED a complete and balanced meal, and the staff is misinterpreting it as a mandate that ONLY their food be consumed? That would make a lot more sense to me.

Last edited by tofucheez; 02-04-2013 at 02:15 PM..
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/168.4/140)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
What a mess!! Dawn, with 2 sons who are special needs, I could tell you stories that would curl your hair!!! But, I believe this one borders on STUPID!!! I would talk to the owner & not the "teacher". I would have to see this in writing & then, I'm not sure I would take her back! You have the right to decide what Keira eats!!
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #22

Patty, I just read about that test yesterday. I need to get a good baseline for her, which shouldn't be hard to do. That's really a great idea. I may try that in the next day or two. Maybe give her a couple of days wheat and gluten free first.

I can't do it for myself because I take a beta blocker which regulates my heart rate.

Okay, so here's the update. DH went to pick her up and spoke with the administrator. She said they'd be willing to let her eat her lunch, but she'd have to be alone in the office while the other kids are eating their lunch out in the lunch room. I don't see why she needs to feel "different" or even punished, just for bringing a healthy lunch.

I was hoping to calm down by now, but honestly, I'm getting angrier the more I think about it. I'm thinking they have to have something in place for kids who, for religious or personal reasons, don't eat the same as the SAD. I mean, really, are there no vegetarians, or kids with restrictions against pork or beef, at that daycare? Do those kids need to bring a note from their religious leader? I know it's not the same thing, but it's really ticking me off. They have 10 or so locations in this town and have been around for years and years. So they've never encountered anything like this? Right.

DH decided to have a date afternoon with Keira to make up for it. He says she's doing fine and isn't phased by it at all, but he took her to the zoo so she wouldn't dwell on not being at daycare (she really does love going there and has a bunch of friends there).

I checked her school's website and couldn't find anything, so I e-mailed her teacher. I got a response that there are NO restrictions at the school with regards to bringing a lunch, so at least that's not an issue.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Wow!!!! That is so frustrating!!!!!! I wish the school I went to outlawed the gross lunch my mother used to send me with (100 calorie peach yogurt and 1 fig newton )
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
Well obviously those people don't need to be getting one more dime of your hard earned money!

But I came across a, for me, faster and more do-able way to test for food sensitivity than the draconian elimination diet--may not be the gold standard, but as we say in the theatre, close enough for summer stock!

First thing in the morning before eating anything, take Keira's resting pulse. Then feed her some wheat--JUST wheat, no fillers, or other ingredients (or whatever pure food you want to test her reaction to). For wheat I used a shredded wheat biscuit, 100% wheat. Then wait about half an hour and take her resting pulse again. If it's increased by more than 15 points, she's most likely sensitive to that food.

I did this with eggs, corn, rice, dairy and wheat. Wheat shot my pulse up 20 points, none of the others did. I was amazed...and have been gluten free ever since!

--Patty
Patty Thanks for reminding me about that test. I completely forgot about it. We did muscle testing for sensitivities, but I forgot about the pulse thing. I want to do that with my goddaughter. Thank you!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post

--Patty
Patty,
We went GF for 5 days (M-F) and I just did the pulse test on me for wheat. I'm going to do it for Keira when she gets up. My resting pulse was 69 before eating a large shredded wheat biscuit, and 1/2 an hour later, was only 74. I'm thinking that means I'm not sensitive!

Now to get the kiddo up and test her! I'll report back when she's up and moving.

ETA: I was going to do the GF thing for 2 weeks before I tested this, but we're going to Disneyland next weekend and if we're not sensitive, I don't want to have to think about it the whole weekend.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
I hope Keira's not wheat sensitive!!! Great that you're not, dawn!

I had read about the test Patty mentioned a few weeks ago when I was trying to figure out if my Jenna was dairy intolerant. I still need to check it out. (we were having issues with her school not letting her have a lactoid tablet before lunch without a doc's note) <whatever, they won't let the kids have chapstick, either, for crying out loud>

I'm glad your DH took her out and made her feel special. I would be LIVID as well with her daycare. That's BS! I remember my kids had to have peanut free stuff, but not allowing a GF lunch? What in the world? Ridiculous!!! How are they supportive of peanut allergies but no other allergies? Makes NO sense.

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #27

Keira's resting pulse was 75. She had a large shredded wheat biscuit and 1/2 hour later, her pulse was . . . 75!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #28

Wonderful xxx
Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!