Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
Vegan question

I have a son who is vegan. He wants me to give it a month to eat his vegan way. He told me I would probably lose 20 pounds in a months time following this way of eating. For those of you who are vegan do you believe this? I think it sounds too good to be true. Plus I dont know if I am really into this. He is so into Vegan but it seems pretty rigid to me. What do you guys think?
Debrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Just going vegan doesn't mean you will lose weight. I have been vegan for 20 years, and when my last bf when from eating everything to going vegan he actually chubbed up quite a bit.....BUT that was because he ate a lot of vegan junk food, not healthy stuff. A lot of junk is vegan that you probably don't realize (Ritz crackers, Oreos, NutterButters, potato chips, frozen fruit turnovers, Bisquick, most hard candy, dark chocolate, etc). So the key is to eat healthy vegan food, a la fresh and unprocessed....then YES, you will lose weight! And the animals will thank you, too!
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I did vegan for 9 months and vegetarian for 40 years. During most of that time, I was struggling to maintain my weight and inched up to over 100 pounds overweight.

I did NOT eat much junk food when vegan and vegetarian--lots of whole grains, rice, legumes, starchy vegetables (and nonstarchy ones), fruits, and (when not vegan) eggs and dairy. Very little sugar, no fast food, no deep fried food, convenience food only in the "Lean Cuisine" mode. And I didn't lose weight or gained weight.

I'm very insulin-resistent, and I think that all those years of eating a high carb vegetarian diet exacerbated that condition. If you aren't insulin resistent and don't eat junk as a vegetarian, then maybe it will work fine for weight loss. But in my case, it was no panacea and probably part of the problem.

I went non-vegetarian a year ago, because I couldn't keep carbs low enough to lose weight on a vegetarian diet (regretfully), and I've lost almost 60 pounds in a little over a year. When I had tried to lose weight for months (exercising, counting calories, working with a nutritionist and personal trainer) on a healthy highcarb vegetarian or vegan diet, I couldn't lose a pound.

YMMV, but don't be too optimistic if you are insulin resistent/have metabolic syndrome.

BTW, I started doing my nine month of vegan eating with 1 one-month cleanse, in which I cut out most food types and then slowly added healthy things in, and never added in wheat or dairy. I was told that most people lose 10-16 pounds during a cleanse like that. I didn't lose a pound.

Last edited by svenskamae; 02-04-2013 at 05:54 AM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Everyone's different. It might be worth seeing if your body likes it. However, before you follow you son, have a look and see if you think his diet consists of healthy real food. There is plenty of vegan frankenfood out there for people who miss the taste of meat!

I'm not strictly vegan, so no real authority to add my twopennorth here, as I eat eggs and dairy. However, I mostly tend to cook vegan. I love beans and lentils and loads of fresh veggies, and it suits me very well.

I wouldn't try a vegan WOE to lose weight per se but it might prove to be healthy and enjoyable for you. We have some vegan JUDDDers. Check out their thread for guidance.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
no, you only lose weight if you cut... you know all that!

I was a vegetarian for most of my long life, and it almost killed me. In my opinion, it is the worst option for those of us who have very bad metabolisms. and sorry, anyone who gets to your weight/height has a very bad metabolism.

and like svenskamae, I did not eat junk. it was mostly the best whole grains, beans, and carby vegetables. I love it and could eat like that forever, but I would weigh 500 lb, literally, if I did.

thin young people tend to lose weight when they eat vegan stuff. we don't!

Last edited by ravenrose; 02-04-2013 at 09:41 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
Thanks guys. I am NOT vegan and I dont want to be. I was just asking because my son is rentlentless in his WOE. I like meat and I like butter and I like cream in my coffee. I just didnt believe I could eat vegan till Im stuffed and lose weight as he told me. Common sense to me is calories count no matter what plan your on. I have NOTHING against vegan diet but its not for me.
Debrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
I just went back and read my post and I hope I didn't offend anyone....I didn't word myself very well.
What I was TRYING to say was that a vegan diet does not guarantee weight loss. You can eat a bunch of junk and still be vegan, consuming a lot of calories. In the end it all comes down to cal in/cal out (IMO), be they vegan or not.
I hope I didn't offend anyone!
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
I just went back and read my post and I hope I didn't offend anyone....I didn't word myself very well.
What I was TRYING to say was that a vegan diet does not guarantee weight loss. You can eat a bunch of junk and still be vegan, consuming a lot of calories. In the end it all comes down to cal in/cal out (IMO), be they vegan or not.
I hope I didn't offend anyone!
No problem, that's what I read in your original post, and I wasn't offended.

I don't think that calories in, calories out is the whole story for me, because I didn't lose weight despite 9 months of limiting calories and vigorously exercising 2-3 hours per day while eating vegan/vegetarian. I have insulin resistence, and even healthy vegan/vegetarian carbs (grains, legumes, starchy vegetables) spike my insulin too much for me to lose weight. I can't keep my insulin and blood glucose levels low enough to lose weight on a non-vegan/vegetarian diet; I can do that on a lowcarb diet (meat, nonstarchy veg) that isn't vegetarian. But it was disappointing for me to abandon the healthy vegetarian approach that I'd enjoyed for 40 years. I'm glad that it works well for you, tofucheez.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
adding my few cents worth of sense here...
it is a full time job in my opinion, to regulate a vegan diet and be absolutely certain you get enough macro and micro nutrients to not really damage (a usually already damaged) system. As a hormonally damaged woman already I have found it dang near impossible to eat well enough vegan to promote health and not cause myself more long term health issues. Wouldn't kill you for a week, but it is way too much effort, food budgeting and plain old math for this poor foodie. Insulin damaged women especially tend to gain some serious weight going vegan, in my experience.
Perhaps a little effort on your part to point out to your son your good vegetable choices in however you choose to eat would be a bridge? Show willing with some veg protein choices, put kale or hemp seeds in everything, and offer a vegan Monday every week?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Debra, it is obvious you son cares very much about his mama! Vegan would be very hard for me too, as I have never really liked fruit too much, and only few veggies. Pastas and rice puff me up, and I could live on sugar, but probably not a healthy idea. I hope your son sees the benefit in JUDDD. I have 2 sons as well, they always think they're smarter than me and can be so relentless about stuff(probably because half the time I give in lol)
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaSimpson
Stats: 174 goal 140 5'10
WOE: juicing and juddd
Start Date: 01/24/2013
I'm a vegan since 5 years, and lost about 10 pounds in my first month, with eating more then before. However I kind of stalled, and gained and lost through the years. I eat vegan because it makes sense to me and I haven't been sick since I'm eating this way. As some other people already said, there's a lot of vegan junk food. Since 3 years I'm more towards a raw vegan natural woe.

I'm a bit like your son, I want everyone to give it a shot and try to talk them into it. But there are lots of vegans out there, which believe that they eat healthy but they don't in my eyes. Too much soy and and meat alternatives are unhealthy and loaded with fat and salt. There's also a lot of vegan snacks made with white white flour and sugar. Loads of vegan food is just not natural.
RebeccaSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AWholeNewWorld
I have been vegetarian for over 5 years and I was vegan for over 2 of those years. While I was a vegan I maintained my weight effortlessly, regardless of what or how much I ate. It was when I transitioned back to vegetarianism that the weight piled on to the tune of 25 pounds. 25 pounds that I am still trying to get off. That is just my experience. I would not go back to veganism 100% just because it is too hard to work into an everyday lifestyle but for me, it was a great lifestyle to keep a healthy weight. That is just my experience, again, because I have met vegans that are very overweight. It just depends on what you eat as a vegan.
AWholeNewWorld is offline   Reply With Quote