Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Curious... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/796126-curious.html)

SadieJack 02-03-2013 06:26 AM

Curious...
 
I have not yet started JUDDD (tomorrow). I was just wondering....

How do you feel on your UDs? After having basically so little calories for 36 hours, do you feel like you want to eat everything in sight? Or does the fasting tamp down your hunger?

Also, should I start on a DD or an UD tomorrow?

KeirasMom 02-03-2013 06:52 AM

Start on an UD so you're well fueled going into your DD. Many of us find on DDs we think about all the glorious things we'll get to eat on our UD, then UD comes and we're just not that hungry.

:welcome:

hot-in-texas 02-03-2013 06:57 AM

I second what Dawn said. On the morning of an UD, I typically don't eat breakfast, but I enjoy contemplating the things I can choose to have that day.:D

adillenal 02-03-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 16236798)
I have not yet started JUDDD (tomorrow). I was just wondering....

How do you feel on your UDs? After having basically so little calories for 36 hours, do you feel like you want to eat everything in sight? Or does the fasting tamp down your hunger?

I think it varies by individual. I am at my second goal and I started JUDDD 1/8/12. I went through a very long period of time where I felt I had to eat everything that I had been denied for trying to follow LC for many years. Finally got that out of my system but it took a long time. I am good now but others don't do that. :)

hot-in-texas 02-03-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 16236856)
I think it varies by individual. I am at my second goal and I started JUDDD 1/8/12. I went through a very long period of time where I felt I had to eat everything that I had been denied for trying to follow LC for many years. Finally got that out of my system but it took a long time. I am good now but others don't do that. :)

Adi, it is good to hear that someone as successful as you went through times like that too. :heart:
I will say that even though I don't eat breakfast on UD, I always have things I shouldn't. On my last UD I had 2 ice cream sandwiches and Chinese food, not the best choices...and I went over my calories.

adillenal 02-03-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot-in-texas (Post 16236878)
Adi, it is good to hear that someone as successful as you went through times like that too. :heart:
I will say that even though I don't eat breakfast on UD, I always have things I shouldn't. On my last UD I had 2 ice cream sandwiches and Chinese food, not the best choices...and I went over my calories.

I ALWAYS eat breakfast. I tried the skipping thing after reading what others do but it does not work for me. Eggs every morning whether it is an UD or a DD along with coffee with HWC. One egg on DD's and 2 eggs on UD's. Then I can last until dinner if I need to.

Carly 02-03-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16236837)
Start on an UD so you're well fueled going into your DD. Many of us find on DDs we think about all the glorious things we'll get to eat on our UD, then UD comes and we're just not that hungry.

:welcome:

:goodpost:
When the SIRTs really build up it helps with UD and DD. I find I rarely eat on UD the things I was thinking about on DD. The beautiful thing is I don't feel deprived at all so that helps.

mom23kids 02-03-2013 07:42 AM

I don't usually eat before 11am on my uds now, because i wake up not feeling hungry after dds :)

SadieJack 02-03-2013 07:44 AM

Once again, thanks everyone. :shake:

I guess I missed something regarding UDs. I thought you could eat everything your wanted...but I guess that is limited to what your daily caloric needs are. So don't go over that on the UD days right?

Carly 02-03-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 16236937)
Once again, thanks everyone. :shake:

I guess I missed something regarding UDs. I thought you could eat everything your wanted...but I guess that is limited to what your daily caloric needs are. So don't go over that on the UD days right?

Have you been to the caculator on Dr. Johnson's webpage? Google juddd calculator or aternate day diet.

adillenal 02-03-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 16236937)
Once again, thanks everyone. :shake:

I guess I missed something regarding UDs. I thought you could eat everything your wanted...but I guess that is limited to what your daily caloric needs are. So don't go over that on the UD days right?

Dr. J in his book doesn't stress calorie numbers but says eat to satisfaction. I don't know what satisfaction is, so I count. And I will admit I did lose weight eating way over calories many days but then it took me a year to lose 40 pounds too BUT I enjoyed the journey. It all depends on what you want.
It is better to stick close to what the calculator says. If I do that now I will lose but I am old so my calories are pretty low compared to what I would really like to consume. Poor me. Whine whine.:sad:

Yennie 02-03-2013 07:55 AM

You can't eat anything & everything on the UD...you can eat whatever you want until you hit your daily calorie limit. Carly recommended the calculator, its essential to figuring out your upper & lower limits based on age, height, activity level. The thing most of us love is the ability to eat anything, both UD & DD, until you hit those limits. If you wanna eat your UD cals of 2000 (or whatever) in chocolate cake, you can. But you need to stop at 2000 cals.
Hope that makes sense!

Librarygirl 02-03-2013 07:55 AM

Regarding starting on a UD or DD, if you're going to eat well today (and enjoy Super Bowl snacks), I'd make tomorrow a DD. I think, for me, JUDDD doesn't really start until you've had your first DD, because every day is a UD before that. ;) As for calories on UD's, I didn't count in the beginning and lost a lot the first month. However, if you want to lose faster and keep losing at that rate, you will need to count. It depends on your goals, as Adi said. :)

Carly 02-03-2013 07:59 AM

I hear you Adi mine are now 1591/318 that's a big change from 1920/380!
I skimp on DDs and slide a hundred or 2 hundred over to my weekend UD. Luckily I just can't eat what I used to be able to eat, so even when I think a meal will put me way over I never eat what I think I will.

SadieJack 02-03-2013 08:04 AM

Which percentage should I use in the calculator? 20% 25% 30%?

Yennie 02-03-2013 08:06 AM

Most of us start with 20%. The lower your DDs, the bigger the swing, the faster your SIRTs will flow & the faster you'll loose.

Carly 02-03-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 6236972)
Which percentage should I use in the calculator? 20% 25% 30%?

We say start with 20% and adjust from there after a week or 2 if for some reason it is not working well for you. A lot of people like to know their DD range if they need to go over a bit and keep it a DD at like 25% or 35%.

SadieJack 02-03-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16236974)
Most of us start with 20%. The lower your DDs, the bigger the swing, the faster your SIRTs will flow & the faster you'll loose.

What is SIRTs? Geez I feel so DUMB! :stars:

Carly 02-03-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 16236982)
What is SIRTs? Geez I feel so DUMB! :stars:

They are the enzymes/proteins that get produced by the alternate day fasting/ calorie restriction.

You may wish to read Dr. Johnson's book The Alternate Day Diet. It's short and not the worlds best book, but quiet inexxpensive and can be helpful.

SadieJack 02-03-2013 08:24 AM

Sounds like a plan, Carly! Maybe I can download an ebook. thanks

svenskamae 02-03-2013 10:29 AM

SadieJack, you may want to make your DDs initially 500 calories or less, even if the calculator puts you DD numbers lower; don't eat over your calories on up days. Down days are the hardest to adjust to, and 500 calories is a bit less daunting than, say, 300. Many people lose well on 500 calorie DDs or are able to lower their DD calories as they get used to JUDDD. I began at 500 calorie DDs and now am doing 100-300 calorie DDs, after 3 months on JUDDD.

I stil wake up hungry on up days, but that just means I enjoy breakfast. Try to make some of your up day choices healthy ones, though you can treat yourself to sweets, etc. so long as you stay within your calorie limits.

Librarygirl 02-03-2013 10:33 AM

Sven is right. Dr. J recommends not going lower than 500 for 2 weeks. It is an adjustment period, and even if you go as high as 800 (or more), you will still be in WLM (weight loss mode). The important thing in the beginning is to get comfortable with DD's if you are new to fasting. :)

Yam-Yam 02-03-2013 11:04 AM

Lots of good advice already here.

I wanted to chime in that at first, for about the first 2 weeks, my UDs were crazy. Coming from LC I, too, wanted to eat everything in site.

After a few weeks or a month when your body starts producing sirtuin enzymes (SIRT1) as a result of the low calorie DDs, one of it's side effects is appetite suppression. It has many other wonderful, healing side effects as well. One great one is that it starts to break down and burn up stored fat while at the same time causing your body to stop storing extra calories you eat as new fat.

How cool is that?:jumpjoy:

I really liked Dr. Johnson's book. I bought the hard cover and went back to it many times. He has a whole chapter on the magic gene. That was very motivating to read.

He also says that studies have shown even eating as much as 75% of your required calories on a DD may still activate the gene. This gave me hope at times when my DDs couldn't stay as low as I was trying to make them.

I actually gave myself a range from 20% to 45% (use the pull down calculator on his website to figure all that out). I wrote it down and that way I knew that instead of beating myself up for eating at 45% on a DD, I could be glad that I was still in WLM and helping my body build up the sirtuins.

Great questions! It's fun to think about all the things I love about JUDD and why it works so well.

I enjoy reading others' experiences, too!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 AM.