Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #151
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I rely on broth cubes a lot.
I really like Better Than Bouillion.
It can be a real life saver when feeling hungry and cold!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MemoryKeeper
Stats: 233.5/183.5/133
WOE: Currently: Rx hcg
Start Date: 10/18/2011
Yennie, I see what you mean!

adillenal, your stats are amazing. Great idea on the broth. I read that adding cream or milk really adds to the flavor. I also use half and half on my DDs (2 Tablespoons). I just can't give it up, and it's 49 calories for the 4 cups of coffee and that cream. YUM!

Carly, wow, you have rocked it on the WOE! Love it! Thanks for all your helpful info. I love Better than Bouillon too! It is the best in my opinion!
MemoryKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #153
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryKeeper View Post

adillenal, your stats are amazing. Great idea on the broth. I read that adding cream or milk really adds to the flavor. I also use half and half on my DDs (2 Tablespoons). I just can't give it up, and it's 49 calories for the 4 cups of coffee and that cream. YUM!

Carly, wow, you have rocked it on the WOE! Love it! Thanks for all your helpful info. I love Better than Bouillon too! It is the best in my opinion!
You've done amazingly well with your weight loss, too.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MemoryKeeper
Stats: 233.5/183.5/133
WOE: Currently: Rx hcg
Start Date: 10/18/2011
Thanks so much! I'm *this close* to goal, and it's definitely getting harder. That's why I wanted to try something new to "shake things up."
MemoryKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #155
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thanks so much! I'm *this close* to goal, and it's definitely getting harder. That's why I wanted to try something new to "shake things up."
I think JUDDD is just they way to do it. I lost my last 10 pounds as quickly or quicker than my first 10 pounds.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #156
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Berta have you ever thought of using almond milk? The unsweetened kind is only 35cals per cup!
Add in some sugar free coffee syrup and you'll never miss the creamer
Actually I haven't, but I will try it and see if I like it.I decided to drink tea on DD from here on out.But thanks I will try the ALmond Milk. I know I have seen it and Choc Almond milk tooI was use to the full fat whipping cream and Hlaf N Half on HCG so now I am low fat it will take awhile to get in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileysGirl View Post
I just bought my first carton of Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk a couple of weeks ago. It's 40 cals per 8oz. It really does have an almond taste but not enough to take away from the actual milk taste/feeling. It's low in carbs and fat too and it lasts much longer than milk. We bought it in January and the expiration is not til mid March! Good for me since I don't drink it every day.

Berta - I too was losing after UD's the first few weeks of JUDDD. I thought I was an odd ball! Now it's switched around.

My one month JUDDDiversary is tomorrow! I had Mexican food and margaritas last night so my one month loss may not be what I wanted it to but it's fine.

I've done really well today. Trying to lower my DD calories from 500-650 down to less than 500. I had an Atkins bar for 210 around 1pm and just now have eaten some chicken breast and onions/beans maybe not even a 1/2 cup of beans/onions total so hoping that will ring in around 200 or so.
Well I went 7 cal over my 500 today but hopefully thsat much won't matter since I was under about 400 calories Thursday and And around 175 under Friday.Thur In between day Fri UD.

Quote:
Thank for all the great insight, it is sooooooo helpful! I'm doing JUDDD in conjunction with Atkins, my friend jokingly said JUDDDKINS! LOL!

Anyway, I've been doing JUDDD since January 30th and I've already lost 5.5 pounds! I'm not weighing this weekend, and I'm trying to retrain myself to weigh only once a week. After hcg, it's such a hard habit to break.

Berta, I'm so excited for you! You are just Ms. Bubbly! Love it girl!

Natasha, wow! You are rocking it girlfriend!

All you other ladies (and any gents I might have missed) you are so sweet and helpful...thank you!
HELLO Jeannette
How are liking JUDDD? I like it alot. I still don't completely understand it all but I will one of these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I buy Fit N Active Broth from Aldi'svery good and no MSG and only 5cal per cup.I don't know if Aldi's is everywhere,but I am sohappy it is here!

I have some questions (again)Dowe do under 500 cal for the induction PH or do we use the calculators numbers?And is it always not over 500?I have more of a problem on UD in getting my calories in But I do know you don't have to eat all teh UD calories.

And is it true wedon't have to count calories on UD during the induction phase as long as we don't intentionally over eat, or is that true for the entire time? I have never went all the wayup to my UD caloriesbut today was over by 7 on DD.

I guess that is all for now.
Thanksin advance
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #157
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
According to their website it is sold everywhere but I have never seen it. My local stores are small and we do not have a supere Walmart and I have never been to Costco so I guess I will have to keep using the dinky little cubes. If I ever go to a larger town I will have to look for it.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #158
Big Yapper!!!!

I get it a Wal-Mart normally and it's not a super Wal-Mart either. I also get it at Stop and Shop. It's not sold in the refrigerator section, but needs to be refrigerated after opening. It's usually sold where powder Bouillion is.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #159
Big Yapper!!!!

Berta,

Usually 500 calories is for the first 2 weeks to help one adjust to the low calories and then you should try to drop to what the calculator says. I didn't know about this and started right away with 380 which was my DD number back then. I know the book is iffy about where you need to count UDs, but his kaviot is you just eat normally. I suspect many of us are not able to do this since we would not be overweight unless there were extenuating circumstances. This being said- there were extenuating circumstance in my case and I have no issues with over eating (while awake) so I didn't need to count, but in the beginning I did to check myself and make sure I ate enough. I naturally eat under 1,000 calories very easily so I have to make sure I'm eating enough on UDs especially when I'm not sleepwalk eating which I'm careful as can be with. I bought a bag a cookies at the store today and DW already hid them. Luckily I don't look hard for food in my sleep so if I sleep walk I go to the kitchen and won't scavenge the house for food, so we can keep a few things on hand and DW stashes that stuff away before bed. All that to say... You should probably count till you have good reason to believe it's not necessary for you and your weight loss.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
I have some questions (again)Dowe do under 500 cal for the induction PH or do we use the calculators numbers?And is it always not over 500?I have more of a problem on UD in getting my calories in But I do know you don't have to eat all teh UD calories.

For induction phase Dr J recommends no more than 500 because most people are intimidated by the number the calculator comes up with. Then you can slowly work down towards your goal. Thats what was recommended for me (my DD calc was 440) - to start out shooting for 500 and when that becomes easier start to go lower. If you're already able to go lower, then aim for your calculator number of lower than 500.

And is it true wedon't have to count calories on UD during the induction phase as long as we don't intentionally over eat, or is that true for the entire time? I have never went all the wayup to my UD caloriesbut today was over by 7 on DD.
Again, Dr J says you don't have to count your UD cals if you eat until you're full and stop. The problem is that many of the JUDDD BUDDs admit difficulty knowing when enough is enough. If we knew when to quit, we would not be in the position to lose 50+ pounds! So many of us choose to count calories on our up days and watch them as meticulously as our DD cals.

You want to be sure you've got a good swing between UDs and DDs, which is why everyone stresses how important it is to hit your UD cals (another good reason to count cals on UDs too). Its the 1200-1500 calorie difference between your UD and DD that activates the SIRTs and keeps them flowing.

Another useful tip to try to put your numbers in perspective is average them and look at your daily average. I'm at 400/1900 which is, roughly, 1150 cals per day. Most low cal diet plans recommend women try for 1100-1200 calorie targets for weight loss. So look at your average and see where you're at. If its much over 1400 you're probably going to have stalls.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #161
Berta48

Quote:
Berta,

Usually 500 calories is for the first 2 weeks to help one adjust to the low calories and then you should try to drop to what the calculator says. I didn't know about this and started right away with 380 which was my DD number back then. I know the book is iffy about where you need to count UDs, but his kaviot is you just eat normally. I suspect many of us are not able to do this since we would not be overweight unless there were extenuating circumstances. This being said- there were extenuating circumstance in my case and I have no issues with over eating (while awake) so I didn't need to count, but in the beginning I did to check myself and make sure I ate enough. I naturally eat under 1,000 calories very easily so I have to make sure I'm eating enough on UDs especially when I'm not sleepwalk eating which I'm careful as can be with. I bought a bag a cookies at the store today and DW already hid them. Luckily I don't look hard for food in my sleep so if I sleep walk I go to the kitchen and won't scavenge the house for food, so we can keep a few things on hand and DW stashes that stuff away before bed. All that to say... You should probably count till you have good reason to believe it's not necessary for you and your weight loss.
Thanks Carly
I have been counting but I have been reading in different places and have read different things and it gets sorta confusing to me.

I just read this on Johnsons Alternate Day Diet site and wonder what exactly it means.Because I take it that after the induction phase my DD calories go up?

It says...
"you can eat 35% of your normal calorie intake to continue losing weight.I put the 35% in the calculator and my UD stayed the same but my DD went up .Am I not understanding what this means
Old 02-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #162
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I get it a Wal-Mart normally and it's not a super Wal-Mart either. I also get it at Stop and Shop. It's not sold in the refrigerator section, but needs to be refrigerated after opening. It's usually sold where powder Bouillion is.
I looked at our local Wal-Mart. It has very little of anything. They are even out of Diet Coke most times I stop in. They don't even have the broth cubes. I will be going to a craft show next weekend so I will plan a stop at every Wal-Mart and large grocery store on the way to see if I can locate some. It would be easier to just buy it online looks like for my area.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #163
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:

One tip I read on the boards and tried is scq (salsa con queso) with broth, to make a deliciously satisfying soup/cup. 1 T is 20 calories, and is available in the chip aisle usually at any grocer in the US. Not sure about other countries.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #164
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thanks Carly
I have been counting but I have been reading in different places and have read different things and it gets sorta confusing to me.

I just read this on Johnsons Alternate Day Diet site and wonder what exactly it means.Because I take it that after the induction phase my DD calories go up?

It says...
"you can eat 35% of your normal calorie intake to continue losing weight.I put the 35% in the calculator and my UD stayed the same but my DD went up .Am I not understanding what this means
At 35% your DD's will be higher, which makes your overall calories higher, when you do the percentage of two days. For instance, if your UD calories are 1800, and DD 370, your overall daily calories amount to 1085 (and the 2 nos together and divide by 2). Now if you eat 500 cal DD's your number will be 1285 daily. Again, at 35% your numbers will be higher, and you will lose slower. You *will* still lose, but slower. It just depends on your goals. I hope I made it a little clearer.

No, you are mistaken. After "induction" DD calories go down. The first two weeks are to get you acclimated to this WOE without doing the drastic low calories that are required when doing JUDDD every other day. When you get used to doing 500 calories, you are expected to lower your DD cals.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 02-10-2013 at 06:36 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #165
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
At 35% your DD's will be higher, which makes your overall calories higher, when you do the percentage of two days. For instance, if your UD calories are 1800, and DD 370, your overall daily calories amount to 1085 (and the 2 nos together and divide by 2). Now if you eat 500 cal DD's your number will be 1285 daily. Again, at 35% your numbers will be higher, and you will lose slower. You *will* still lose, but slower. It just depends on your goals. I hope I made it a little clearer.

No, you are mistaken. After "induction" DD calories go down. The first two weeks are to get you acclimated to this WOE without doing the drastic low calories that are required when doing JUDDD every other day. When you get used to doing 500 calories, you are expected to lower your DD cals.
Not really I am an idiot when it comes to math.But I understand Ia little.I will stick with what the calculator says.Right now I'm doing 500 DD. The calculator ways 477.So could I still stay with 500 DD all the time? and lower my UD?

Down 3 lbs since Monday last week.So I am happy so far

Last edited by Berta48; 02-10-2013 at 06:49 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #166
Big Yapper!!!!

NO, you never lower your UD (except as your weight goes down, and then DD will go down as well). DD is the only number that you should go lower with. You can't adjust to higher DD's and lower UD's and get the same results. That said, some of our JB's simply did not/could not do low DD's and I've heard of one JB who did 700 cal DDs throughout her weight loss and got to goal.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #167
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Not really I am an idiot when it comes to math.But I understand Ia little.I will stick with what the calculator says.Right now I'm doing 500 DD. The calculator ways 477.So could I still stay with 500 DD all the time? and lower my UD?

Down 3 lbs since Monday last week.So I am happy so farOnly10 more lbs to be at my first mini goal:up:
^^^^^that's great!

It is not recommended to raise a DD by lowering the UD. You want the biggest spread possible. Stick with 500 if that is working and eat your full UD.

The only way it really works for some people to borrow calories from one day to another is to eat lower DDs and slide a little to UDs (bigger swing). But I wouldn't recommend this in the beginning either. You will find the best success at first by being true to your DD numbers or at least sticking with 500.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Still lurking....Thank you!
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #169
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: reluctantexan
Stats: 170/155/140
WOE: HFLC
Day three

I have to admit that after eating LCHF for so many years, DD was not easy for me to embrace, and I can see why using pre-packaged snacks might be an easier way to start this. I have some Atkins bars on hand and used one yesterday.

I'm excited at the prospect of actually starting to lose pounds again after so many years of NOT losing. Any reference materials anybody else can point me to which will encourage me to keep on keeping on? Remember that I'm trying to do JUDDD+LC or JUDDD+LCHF (if I can stay withing the calorie restrictions of UD).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
reluctantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #170
Big Yapper!!!!

Did you read Dr. Johnson's book The Alternate Day Diet?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
Today is my 1 month Judddiversary!!! I've lost 7.5 in my first month!!!

Goals for Feb include adhereing to DD cals recommended by calculator and exercising!
BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #172
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
If the almond milk alone doesn't do it for you, make this:
1 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 cup half and half mixed together.
180 cals total or 7.5 calories per tablespoon - easy to work into a down day
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cindy-lou
Stats: 257/234/170
WOE: JUDDD-01/31/13
Start Date: Nov 7 2012 LC
Quote:

Goals for Feb include adhereing to DD cals recommended by calculator and exercising!
CONGRATS!!
Cindy-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #174
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
If the almond milk alone doesn't do it for you, make this:
1 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 cup half and half mixed together.
180 cals total or 7.5 calories per tablespoon - easy to work into a down day
Thanks Dottie- I'm going to give that a try.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:

Down 3 lbs since Monday last week.So I am happy so far
Berta, I've just always gone with what the calculator says at 20%, period. At least that is what I aim for each and every day. It just makes it easier. I never ate the 500 calories on DDs the first few weeks, just always used my calculated DD number from the first day which was , I think, 377. The 500 calorie number is there, I think, to help people ease into their first DDs.

Please, let us know if you are having any particular problems with this WOE(you are too hungry on DDs, you are finding it hard to stay under your calories, you are not feeling well, or whatever the case may be) so we can help you try to problem solve any specificissues you might encounter.

Last edited by hot-in-texas; 02-10-2013 at 08:56 AM..
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #176
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: reluctantexan
Stats: 170/155/140
WOE: HFLC
Great job!

Quote:

I hope to be a success, too.
reluctantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantexan View Post
I hope to be a success, too.
The best thing to do, aside from reading Dr J's book, would be to read through some of the old threads, especially the stickys. Thats what I did before I made the switch. There are several "New here, please help" threads in the first 4 or 5 pages of threads if you browse through those (one is mine, LOL) that will help with some of the basics.

It was recommended to me that I stick with the numbers I got from the calculator and wait until I understand more about this WOE and how my body would respond before doing anything like trying to adjust my cals, try potato hacks, etc. I think this is the single best piece of advice I'd received before starting. I started JUDDD on 1/21 and have since lost 6 pounds and am in my size 10 jeans. Which I haven't worn since before I was pregnant. If we try to fudge it, it won't work.

Best of luck everyone! There are some amazingly inspiring gals out there - look to them for motivation!!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #178
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10

Keeping it simple and doing it as it is written are the simplest and best ways to work this plan. If, after a month or so, things are not moving then is the time to re-evalutate if necessary.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #179
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post

Keeping it simple and doing it as it is written are the simplest and best ways to work this plan. If, after a month or so, things are not moving then is the time to re-evalutate if necessary.
quoted for truth!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #180
Big Yapper!!!!

I bought the book for step 1 and read it for step 2.
When I started I did 500/2000 and started using the shakes. I stayed at those calories until I stopped losing then dropped to very low DD's and 1800-2000 UD's. I have rarely ben able to hit my 1600 UD figure. Usually over by a mile.
My current calculator figures are 351/1586 for my age and weight and height. I can go lower on DD's and add to my UD's which makes me happier. I am still trying to lose a few pounds though. Maintenance is more like 771/1586 but those numbers don't make me happy so I keep to the lower DD's so I have more on UD's. BUT I am below my original goal weight and anything I lose now is just vanity pounds. You will also notice how long it took me to lose my weight since I enjoyed my UD's. I hit goal in October and maintained through Christmas and jumped back into WLM in January.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014