Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
I am really going to try to keep DD calories at 500 or less. Today however, will not be the day! I think I did right on 500 on Friday for the first time ever. It's so much easier on weekends or my work at home day b/c I am not moving around nearly as much as if I were going into work. I find I'm hungrier sooner on those days.
BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Having some issues with JUDDD after less than a month in. I'm going to try and lower my DD calories and see if that's why my weight is creeping back up. :/
Alison,

You may want to consider re-evaluating your UD numbers as well. Although I haven't been doing this long enough to offer you advice from personal experience, it seems like most JBs agree, on the boards, that UD numbers are the first place to look if weight loss stalls or if there is weight gain. Provided your DD numbers are 500 or less. I am personally taking my UD from 2200 to 2000 but leaving my DDs alone as I've stalled. Anyway, you didn't mention (that I saw) your current numbers but I thought I'd put that out there as food for thought.

Jen

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Having some issues with JUDDD after less than a month in. I'm going to try and lower my DD calories and see if that's why my weight is creeping back up. :/
What are your UD/DD numbers? Are you using 20% WLM with no exercise? I know for me it is not uncommon to lose in fits and starts. My lose stall pattern is very connected to my cycle. If your UDs and DDs are at 20% w/o exercise I would give it another week or so. JUDDD is not necessarily linear.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

This is some good reading for those who are new to JUDDD.
Best JUDDD Threads
Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Lovely to see this thread so busy this month. I am rushing up and down the country just now so not much help, sorry. But you are are getting wonderful advice from all our lovely JBs.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Lovely to see this thread so busy this month. I am rushing up and down the country just now so not much help, sorry. But you are are getting wonderful advice from all our lovely JBs.
Hi Cindy! I was thinking of you dear JB.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Berta!! Often you will see the results of a DD not the next day, but the day after a UD! That's always nice. Many of us track our daily weight each month as a sort of challenge to ourselves, or just to see trends and track our progress. If you're a daily weigher, come join us.

Febuary daily weigh in!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #38
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Hi Berta48,

I'm not sure I understand your question. You can find the calorie and carb content of most foods online, if the product does not have a food label. There should be serving size listed in the nutritional information, which will tell you how much food = how many calories/carbs.

On JUDDD, you don't HAVE to count carbs. The only thing that is required to count is calories. However, as you cruise the boards, you'll see that some of the JUDDD BUDDDs do count carbs and do a combo low carb/counting calorie approach. You don't have to, but some of our friends have found this approach works best for them.

If you have a smart phone, there are many cal counter aps available that can make tracking much easier. If you Google "calorie tracking app", on my results, the 3rd non-sponsored link is the app I use because it comes as a free Android app and I can use it on my computer as well. You can also get that app for the iPhone, just set my dad up with it as well. It is, in my experience, the one with largest database. You can also customize it to keep track of the specific things you're interested in.

I hope this helps. I'm not sure I answered your question but... ???
Okay I have a Healthy Choice meal that on the nutrition label it has 52gms of carbs. Is that 52carbs? Like I said I know 15gms = 1 carb so I am not sure how to count them.I seems like alot when I have seen where some only eat 20 carbs a day.I really am sorry to sound so ignorant.
I have never counted carbs before, so I really would like to know how.

I don't know if I will, butI still would like to know how
P.S. No smart phone or any of that expensive stuff when on SS.

Last edited by Berta48; 02-06-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #39

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Okay I have a Healthy Choice meal that on the nutrition label it has 52gms of carbs. Is that 52carbs? Like I said I know 15gms = 1 carb so I am not sure how to count them.I seems like alot when I have seen where some only eat 20 carbs a day.I really am sorry to sound so ignorant.
I have never counted carbs before, so I really would like to know how.

I don't know if I will, butI still would like to know how
P.S. No smart phone or any of that expensive stuff when on SS.
Carbs are measured in grams. If your package says 52 grams of carbs, that's 52 carbs.

Some people calculate NET carbs by subtracting fiber, but you don't need to worry about that unless you're following a specific low carb plan.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #40
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Carbs are measured in grams. If your package says 52 grams of carbs, that's 52 carbs.

Some people calculate NET carbs by subtracting fiber, but you don't need to worry about that unless you're following a specific low carb plan.
Thank you that helped alot! I understand now!!!
But isn't 52 carbs to many to lose weight on? I am asking as I have diabetes 2 and really should watch carbs to some extent also sweets, but I use Splenda when making them
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #41

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I know nothing about carb levels for diabetics. For losing weight, it's very individual. I don't restrict my carbs at all and often have 150 grams in a day or even more. I'm not diabetic and I don't appear to be sensitive to carbs, though, so that's something you have to figure out for yourself.

Perhaps PJ or another diabetic JUDDDer will pop in with better information.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #42
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I know nothing about carb levels for diabetics. For losing weight, it's very individual. I don't restrict my carbs at all and often have 150 grams in a day or even more. I'm not diabetic and I don't appear to be sensitive to carbs, though, so that's something you have to figure out for yourself.

Perhaps PJ or another diabetic JUDDDer will pop in with better information.
Thank you so much I have a diet menu from a dietician but there are like 2 carbs per meal on the list and I felt that was to man??

I will get it all figured out.Actully since being on HCG andlosing what I have my BLD SUgars wre normal so I just want ot be careful.
Thank for responding to me. I like your photo. Your daughter is really sweet lookingand you are very pretty!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/150/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Just popping in to mark this spot and to all our new JUDDD BUDDDs. I'm not posting as frequently as I used to (or should) but I want you all to know you've found a new home. I've lost 40 pounds on this woe and couldn't have done it without the help of my JB's. Life's a turmoil right now but that's normal for us, isn't it?

Berta, I'm not diabetic, so can't help you there and I'm sure others will be...but I find it hard to believe your doctor has put you on only two carbs per meal..the normal SAD (standard American diet) is around 300 carb grams a day and most nutritionists consider 150 a day as low carb...most of us here on this forum who do restrict carbs, limit ourselves to under 50 on a DD and under 100 on an UD at least that's been my understanding. That is way under what most diabetics are put on.

Two grams of carbs per meal would limit you to absolutely nothing...there's one in a cup of coffee and a cup of lettuce has more than two. As someone has pointed out, the nutrition label gives the grams of carbs, total calories and calories from fat...at a minimum.

I, of course, can't override what your doc is saying, but I would definitely clarify this with the nurse or doctor to ease your mind, if for no other reason. While you are getting started with this woe, you definitely want to limit "white" foods...sugar, flour, and potatoes...and check out the glycemic values of foods...there are a lot of sites that list them. These are a boon to diabetics and will help you understand the whole glucose/insulin issue. And, of course, there are a lot of threads here at LCF that can help, too. JUDDD doesn't require restricting carbs, only calories, but as a diabetic, you need to be aware of what they do to the BGL (blood glucose levels) to help control it.

Good luck and to all.

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pugluv9802
Stats: 193.8/168.2/150/ 5'10
WOE: Going to try JUDD 1-13-14
Start Date: 12/01/2013
Today was my first UD. I have been eating like a pig! I hope this goes away soon. I read the book and have decided that I am going to follow the Dr's suggestion on DD. I am just going to do low cal shakes for 2 weeks, that should be easier to follow instead of counting calories on DD. Put it this way, I am going to try.
pugluv9802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Lynn!! You will be experimenting with DD calories for a while before you find something you like, probably. It's an on-going trial-and-error type thing and most of us take a little time to figure out what we like best. Take a look around and hope to hear more from you soon!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #46
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
Just popping in to mark this spot and to all our new JUDDD BUDDDs. I'm not posting as frequently as I used to (or should) but I want you all to know you've found a new home. I've lost 40 pounds on this woe and couldn't have done it without the help of my JB's. Life's a turmoil right now but that's normal for us, isn't it?

Berta, I'm not diabetic, so can't help you there and I'm sure others will be...but I find it hard to believe your doctor has put you on only two carbs per meal..the normal SAD (standard American diet) is around 300 carb grams a day and most nutritionists consider 150 a day as low carb...most of us here on this forum who do restrict carbs, limit ourselves to under 50 on a DD and under 100 on an UD at least that's been my understanding. That is way under what most diabetics are put on.

Two grams of carbs per meal would limit you to absolutely nothing...there's one in a cup of coffee and a cup of lettuce has more than two. As someone has pointed out, the nutrition label gives the grams of carbs, total calories and calories from fat...at a minimum.

I, of course, can't override what your doc is saying, but I would definitely clarify this with the nurse or doctor to ease your mind, if for no other reason. While you are getting started with this woe, you definitely want to limit "white" foods...sugar, flour, and potatoes...and check out the glycemic values of foods...there are a lot of sites that list them. These are a boon to diabetics and will help you understand the whole glucose/insulin issue. And, of course, there are a lot of threads here at LCF that can help, too. JUDDD doesn't require restricting carbs, only calories, but as a diabetic, you need to be aware of what they do to the BGL (blood glucose levels) to help control it.

Good luck and to all.
Thank you, maybe I am wrong about that as the menu was given to my DH when he was in the Hospital last year.I dont even know now where it is now
It was two carb items not just 2gms of carbs. See I have never counted them, so I don't know how. It helped when the lady (don't rememebr he user name yet) told me if the label says 15gms then it is 15 carbs. I do know to watch the flour and taters though. But I have heard the wheat is bad for you too(wheat belly) so what in the world is a person to do? I am not going to live the rest of my life without bread and potatoes. I do use multigrain and rye bread though.And the potatoes are not everyday maybe 2 x a week at the most.

Last edited by Berta48; 02-06-2013 at 02:52 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #47
Big Yapper!!!!

Berta if it helps to remember that for Juddd to work you just have to track calories. Anything else is up to you.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/150/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Ah! That makes more sense...sorry for my interpretation. One carb item would be like a slice of bread, or a half cup of rice or pasta...and it is amazing how much wheat has changed over the years. Today's wheat is not what the biblical person ate...the book, Wheat Belly, is a very interesting read and shows the difficulty with today's hybrids.

Again, welcome, and has been pointed out so many times....JUDDD only depends on the calories taken in. I hope you newbies have taken your measurements as well as stepped on the metal monster that lurks in the bathrooms...stats will change before the weight and THE PANTS NEVER LIE. I've been stalled for three months according to the monster, but I've lost a couple of inches and moved into a smaller size of pants.

TaTa for now...
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #49

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Berta, don't worry too much about the carbs, unless you are planning to combine JUDDD and Atkins. As has been said, 52 carbs is not a lot when compared to how most of the world eats, but wouldn't work on a strict Low Carb plan.

If you simply make good healthy choices with lots of fruit and vegetables along with great proteins and some lovely treats you will do fine. I love to see all the questions you ask, everyone benefits from an enquiring mind.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tekla
Stats: 201/181.6/145
Start Date: 1/21/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugluv9802 View Post
Today was my first UD. I have been eating like a pig! I hope this goes away soon. I read the book and have decided that I am going to follow the Dr's suggestion on DD. I am just going to do low cal shakes for 2 weeks, that should be easier to follow instead of counting calories on DD. Put it this way, I am going to try.
I did the shakes for the first 2 weeks too. It was easy and I didn't have to worry. I just started eating real food this week on DDs. So far so good. My big thing has been remembering to stop eating when I am full.(New Years Resolution) Not finishing what is on my plate if I am no longer hungry.
tekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #51
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Berta if it helps to remember that for Juddd to work you just have to track calories. Anything else is up to you.
Carly
Thank you again
I have another question I have been thinking about though
I have been wondering if maybe I shouldn't up my WLM since as I loose I will have to eat less.Is this true with JUDDDD? Or do zI stay at 20% WLM the entire time like for life?

I am going to stick to the calorie counting for now. I have enough going on without adding more to it
Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

I went to the calculator about every 15 pounds lost to recalculate. Most people can lose a lot before needing to lower calories. My current calories at 20% WLM are 1591/318, but since I called goal I'm easing DDs up to 500 to start since I have been eating fewer than 200 on DDs. I plan to move soon to just having DDs on M,W,F. I also probably have at least 1 UD a week that is more like 1750 or so, so I rather keep DDs low and enjoy my UDs. We shall see.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alison
Stats: -169.5-/-157.5-/-98-
Start Date: 01/11/2013
Hi! Sorry for the late response.

I have been just doing 500 or so on DD (more often less, but a couple times I went over slightly)

My UD have been 1400-1600 or so. I know I SHOULD eat more on UD but sometimes I just cannot stomach it.

My main goal is to get a roughly 1000 calorie difference between the two days. If I eat way over 1550 cals, I tend to gain. However, my UD yesterday (more like UUAAD!) Brought me to a drop in weight. I had a DD today (Feb 6th) (it's still "today" forme since m a night owl!) And now weighing myself before bed, my DD resulted in 1/2 lb gained. I expect to see a drop on the scale when I get up in the "morning".

Moral of the story? No idea. I did a lot of lifting and running around on my UD so that might've actually worked to my benefit, burning off excess calories and such.

Also, with my days, I don't typically graze. I have a small something closer to waking (cereal or some deli turkey/veggies and mustard, and a few Mini Stoned Wheat crackers), and a big meal later on, with a bedtime snack.

DD I make sure to go as long as I can before eating, I usually have a tea in the a.m. and that tides me over until my husband says, "do you think it's time to get dinner started?" Lol I love him so much, he's been following JUDDD right along side me, every day.
Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
I have a question - on page 244 of Dr J's book in the Q&A section he writes

"But the sole purpose of using the Calorie Calculator is to estimate the number of calories to eat on your down days. You absolutely do not have to consume all the calories estimated for your up days. There is no specific calorie requirement for the up day.

The most important principle of the Alternate-Day Diet is to keep your down-day calories as low as practical while maintaining the up-day, down-day pattern over the long term."

Hmmm so if we can't stomach eating our allocated calories on UD's it seems it's OK to lower. Has this created any problems/stalls for vets?
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 AM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
I have a question - on page 244 of Dr J's book in the Q&A section he writes

"But the sole purpose of using the Calorie Calculator is to estimate the number of calories to eat on your down days. You absolutely do not have to consume all the calories estimated for your up days. There is no specific calorie requirement for the up day.

The most important principle of the Alternate-Day Diet is to keep your down-day calories as low as practical while maintaining the up-day, down-day pattern over the long term."

Hmmm so if we can't stomach eating our allocated calories on UD's it seems it's OK to lower. Has this created any problems/stalls for vets?
Some people have stalled by eating too few calories on UD. I know the UD calories keeps your metablism from slowing down. In the beginning it was hard for me, but the spread is critical and eating enough on your UD prevents starvation mode. I never stuffed my self, however. I did make a point to eat all my UD calories at least 1 UD per week. Your UD calories will drop as you lose weight and you want to train your body to eat and not gain.

Last edited by Carly; 02-07-2013 at 04:49 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Maybe Dr. J knew, as we do after JUDDDing for a period of time, that you won't be complaining for long about *too* many calories on UD's. Just keep doing what you're doing mojo and it will work out. I wouldn't worry too much unless I started to stall or gain.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pugluv9802
Stats: 193.8/168.2/150/ 5'10
WOE: Going to try JUDD 1-13-14
Start Date: 12/01/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekla View Post
I did the shakes for the first 2 weeks too. It was easy and I didn't have to worry. I just started eating real food this week on DDs. So far so good. My big thing has been remembering to stop eating when I am full.(New Years Resolution) Not finishing what is on my plate if I am no longer hungry.
Thank you. I have started my morning with a cup of coffee and 2 teaspoons of coffeemate, 20 cal. Not too bad, I am also drinking a water, so hopefully I can hold off on the shakes to much later in the morning, I guess its a work in progress.
pugluv9802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cindy-lou
Stats: 257/234/170
WOE: JUDDD-01/31/13
Start Date: Nov 7 2012 LC
Good Morning

I just finished my first week of JUDDD and I listened very carefully to what these ladies had to say...and after a LONG 8 week of "stalling" on LC....I lost 5 lbs in my first week on JUDDD

I did as low as I could on my DD and had ALL my calories on my UD

These ladies know what they are talking about
Cindy-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #59

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy-lou View Post
Good Morning

I just finished my first week of JUDDD and I listened very carefully to what these ladies had to say...and after a LONG 8 week of "stalling" on LC....I lost 5 lbs in my first week on JUDDD

What a fantastic start Congratulations!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy-lou View Post
Good Morning

That is great!!!! KUTGW!