Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Need advise from JUDDers (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/796010-need-advise-judders.html)

tobelowcarber 02-01-2013 03:35 PM

Need advise from JUDDers

I am loving JUDD but I am having 3 issues that never really bothered me before and I am looking for some tips/advise.

1. I am very constipated. Never had this problem before. The only thing that works is CALM- magnesium citrate. But if I don't take it I am plugged. Would like it to happen "naturally". I have been eating more veggies but still have issues.

2. Sleep- I am really struggling after DD. I can fall a sleep thanks to CALM, but than I am up between 3-5 AM

3. I am freezing on DD. Wearing 2 sweaters today and still shivering :sad:

KeirasMom 02-01-2013 03:56 PM

1. I've always had this problem, even before JUDDD, so I don't know what to tell you. Lots of people swear by the Calm, and also by coconut oil, etc. None of it works for me. It just happens when it happens (except I did try the dieter's tea--it worked, but wow, was I miserable for a day)!

2. I also don't sleep well, but never have. I take 2 benadryl at night and it helps, but if you're opposed to doing something like that, :dunno:

3. We almost all get cold on DDs. Invest in thick socks and a heated blanket. It's a sign this is working, plus shivering burns calories.

Sorry, I'm not much help.

Librarygirl 02-01-2013 04:34 PM

I have had success with eating 2 prunes every night. Have you tried that? I believe it works better than almost any other veggie/fruit I have tried. I also take probiotics and magnesium, so that helps as well. As for sleep, I don't have problems with that anymore, since the first few DD's, but find that eating something close to bedtime helps a lot. All I know about keeping warm on DD, is layering or heavy blankets/electric blanket to sleep. Hope this helps!

mom23kids 02-01-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 16234368)
I am loving JUDD but I am having 3 issues that never really bothered me before and I am looking for some tips/advise.

1. I am very constipated. Never had this problem before. The only thing that works is CALM- magnesium citrate. But if I don't take it I am plugged. Would like it to happen "naturally". I have been eating more veggies but still have issues.

I've had this happen a handful of times since I started JUDDD (this seems to be a common complaint for any weight loss plan). I take a daily probiotic and that really helps. I've also used milk of magnesium twice now, and wow-that stuff is strong :stars: :laugh: It works, but I use it very sparingly lol.

2. Sleep- I am really struggling after DD. I can fall a sleep thanks to CALM, but than I am up between 3-5 AM

I've always been a crappy sleeper. Haven't noticed any difference since JUDDD, except sometimes I have a hard time sleeping on DDs because I'm so excited to weigh in the next morning :o :laugh:

Some DDs I'm really cold, but we're also in the middle of winter and I think that's part of the reason. But, I think the cold means fat is being burned or something else positive :confused:

:hugs:

Carly 02-01-2013 06:03 PM

1) same boat: just dealing with it for now. I did not like the harsh effects of the ballerina tea, but it worked.

2) I have never slept well- ever. I take Tylenol pm and zzzquil, help a little.

3) yes, freezing all the time. UDs and DDs. I leave my coat on most days at work, have a space heater and hot liquids. I sleep with 2 electric blankets every night plus 2 blankets and a comforter.

Librarygirl 02-01-2013 06:13 PM

I don't know if it's "that" time in my life or what (most likely), but I find that even if I am freezing before bedtime on DD's (or UDs), I take a scalding hot shower (not friendly for my skin, but soooooo effective) before bed, I can ditch the sweat pants and sleep in a night shirt without the ceiling fan on. But half way through the night if I wake up to pee (almost always), I need to turn the fan on again and am comfortable.

ETA: I need to add something positive about JUDDD and sleeping. I have always been a heavy snorer. In all my relationships (and dalliances ;)), I have been told so, even when at 125 lbs. To the point that no one could stand to sleep with me. Oops that makes it sound like I've had a lot of sleeping buddies. :D Anywhooo, my bf reports that my snoring has lessened considerably. I can only attribute it to JUDDD. :)

Yennie 02-01-2013 08:21 PM

1. Caffeine does it for me so my morning coffee really helps. Even more so since I've started making the bulletproof coffee & adding the extra fat really gets things moving. Something to consider... ?

2. I was reading elsewhere on here that a bit of honey (actual honey, not the candy bar ;) ) is supposed to help us fall asleep. I can't remember the rationale. I'm one that lays in bed & can't shut off the brain. Been taking honey plain (yum!) or in a bit of decaf tea before bed and I've been able to fall asleep reasonably well.

3. This hasn't been a problem for me yet, above & beyond the times I'm usually freezing anyway. Course, this is my first real winter out of the midwest where it was -15 this morning, and it was 45 here, so I'm thinking I'm in a tropical paradise!

Maybe helpful?

Librarygirl 02-01-2013 08:26 PM

I have always been able to sleep well except when I was drinking kind of heavily. That is, most days (evenings). When I quit, I could not fall asleep normally, and it took about 3 weeks to get back to normal sleep. Now, even on DDs, I may think I won't be able to sleep, but that is a distant memory the next morning. :) I wish the same for all of you.

ETA: I believe if you ever got into the habit of using anything to help with sleep, be it alcohol, benedryl, sleeping pills, etc., you will have to stop using them for a period of one week, to three weeks to get back to normal sleeping patterns.

krow134 02-01-2013 08:40 PM

I also do 2 prunes at night and also just started taking magnesium.

The sleep thing hasn't been an issue for me. But I have always been a few hours a night sleeper. As hubby said I am only one he has ever met that can fall asleep as soon as heads hits pillow and sleep hard!

The shivers are fat burning. Wait till the DD peeing kicks in...the DDPP as I call it! Always a good sign too as to JUDDD working!!!

calichris 02-01-2013 08:42 PM

I had insomnia in the beginning too, but it went away! do a search in JUDDD under insomnia and you'll find lots of good stuff. On the plus side, I used to have a hard time waking up in the morning and take naps, and rarely do either anymore.

Librarygirl 02-01-2013 08:48 PM

That's true, Chris! I don't hit the snooze button as often, and I am not falling asleep at work like I have before. I also am not tempted to nap very often anymore. NSV!!!

tobelowcarber 02-02-2013 03:46 AM

Thank you al for suggestions. Keep them coming, please.

Cindy- thanks for reminding me about the prunes. I think I will try them tonight.

I took a hot bath in epsom salt last night and that helped with the shivers and also made me very sleepy. I got up this morning at 6 AM, which is not bad after DD.

As far a sleep is concerned, I have no problem falling asleep, but I usually wake up in the middle of the night and have to read for 3-4 hrs to fall a sleep.

Wow, Jeaniie- -15F. I think I would freeze. I am sure you are enjoying 45F right now :)

Carly- I have never heard of ballerina tea. I guess I should stay away from it, if it is too harsh. I have colitis, so I don't need anything too irritating.

Katiebubb- glad to hear that shivers are fat burning. Oh, no- never heard of DDPP :lol:

I was thinking of adding flax seed to my diet. Maybe making muffins with them. I heard they can have laxative effects. I will let you know if they work.

What is surprising to me is I was always regular goer. Maybe my body needs time to adjust to the UD DD calories. I have been JUDDing for 2 month now so I am not really a newbie :confused:

Sammyann 02-02-2013 05:07 AM

I take hot epsom salt baths (3-4 cups of epsom salts) and kill two birds with one stone. They warm me back up and help with constipation.

When I wake up in the middle of the night I listen to self hypnosis apps to help me fall back asleep. I bought SleepPhones, which is headphones in a soft headband to use to listen to the apps. I like Glenn Harrold's self hypnosis apps.

Hopefulsweigh 02-02-2013 05:44 AM

How is your water intake? :dunno:

I find that when I neglect my water intake things start to back up.:annoyed:

I hope you find what works for you. :hugs:

tobelowcarber 02-02-2013 06:52 AM

Sammyann- I only did 2 cups of Epsom salt, maybe I need to increase it. Thanks for the hypnosis tapes recommendations

Hope- my water intake is pretty good. Anywhere from 6-8 tall glasses a day.

LoCarbGal 02-02-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 16234368)

1. Yes. I have always run more in the other direction, IYKWIM. But now I go maybe a couple of times a week. During my first couple of months on JUDDD, I swung wildly between both directions, and it could be sudden. And the constipation was uncomfortable and painful. Now I do have both, but mostly just constipation, and it's usually not uncomfortable at all. I'm just aware that I haven't gone for a couple of days, and it bugs me that I might actually weigh less if I could go. :o

2. I've always slept well, and that hasn't changed for me at all. I'm knocking on wood here! I know I'm very lucky in this, especially hearing you all say you aren't good sleepers.

3. Yes. Yes. Yes. Cold, and always in sweaters, and when at home under my throws and snuggie (yes, I have one of those things you see on TV and I'll admit it, I LOVE it!)

Carly 02-02-2013 08:26 AM

For the bathroom issue I tried my old stand by last night and it worked like a charm! miracle noodles!