Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Bathroom issues & wheat (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/795987-bathroom-issues-wheat.html)

piratejenny 02-01-2013 09:43 AM

Bathroom issues & wheat

I'm not JUDDDing right now but I know this issue comes up often...didn't know *where* to share this, because there are so many threads on it! :laugh: Hope it helps someone....

I'd probably run out of euphemisms if I try to be delicate about this, so just to clarify: I'm gonna be talking about bowel movements! :o

I stopped eating wheat for a week in December, and was pretty shocked by the change in my bowel movements. They were...for lack of a better word...wonderful! :hyst:

Now, I wouldn't exactly call what I have constipation--I take metformin and usually "go" every day. If anything, I worry about having accidents. :cry: But sometimes, I feel like I need to go (or need to go again) but can't, so I have to stay near a bathroom (can't drive anywhere or do errands).

But during my wheat-free week, my digestion felt much better. I went a couple times every day, but it wasn't urgent or painful (I sometimes get sharp intestinal cramps from the metformin). I didn't feel like I would need to go again in a few minutes.

I consider my wheat intake pretty low; I use low-carb tortillas and Sandwich Thins, and sometimes have *small* servings of crackers or cookies. But, being diabetic, I rarely have "regular" bread or noodles. Still, cutting back on even this smallish amount made a big difference.

So, even if you aren't "officially" allergic to wheat or gluten, it may be causing more irritation and inflammation than you know. If you have chronic bathroom troubles, it might be worth eliminating wheat for a week or so to see how you feel.

LoCarbGal 02-01-2013 09:50 AM

VERY interesting PJ! I think I'm pretty low on wheat at this point, but not non-existent. I know it's not great for me. Maybe I should be even more careful.

KeirasMom 02-01-2013 10:05 AM

I'm reading Wheat Belly currently, and have decided to go wheat/gluten free for 2 weeks. I'd like to finish the book first, but want to start on Monday, so I'm not sure if it'll be this coming Monday or the following Monday, but I'll let you all know how it goes for me.

(BTW, I checked, and my chili is gluten free!) :hyst:

I'm trying this with Keira too, as she has very sensitive skin and gets the "chicken skin" I've seen noted to be related to wheat sensitivity, along with a few other symptoms. I'm going to have her help me shop for us so she gets to choose healthy foods as well as some gluten free treats.

sunday 02-01-2013 11:08 AM

Cici just reported reading it a 2nd time and now I am anxious to as well. :)
In case anyone is interested in amazing GF blogs, I am loving "Gluten Free on a Shoestring" and "Girl Cooks World - Gluten Free Recipes from Around the Globe."

Lots of Asian, Hungarian, Brazilian, Jamaican, French, you name it and I :heart: it! :love: gluten free globally. :heart:

PJ, love hearing any of your reports! Please keep them coming.:hugs:

piratejenny 02-01-2013 11:19 AM

lol...even bathroom reports??? Sunday, you're the best! :heart:

I'm re-wheat-free as of Monday.
But TOM started the same day, so I can't say I felt any amazingness this week.
Although...I only had 2 or 3 little half-hearted twinges, not a single real cramp!

svenskamae 02-01-2013 11:24 AM

There are a lot of cookbooks for people who are eating gluten-free but not necessarily lowcarb. I know that the gluten-free preprepared food in stores tends to be relatively low in nutritional value (rice and sugar as main ingredients), so making things from scratch can be a better choice if you have time and like to cook/bake. Also, the paleo cookbooks are guaranteed to be gluten-free, and they have some excellent recipes, even for desserts, and there are some good paleo blogs. I like the recipes on the "clothes make the girl" and "paleo mom" and "our life in food" blogs, for example.

I feel so much better not eating wheat, that I'm never going back to eating it, but everybody has to go by what works for her own body.

Hope that TOM is as painless as possible for you, piratejenny.

LastRick 02-01-2013 11:30 AM

People often ask on LCF if one schedules a "cheat day" or celebrates holidays/special occasions with a non-LC meal. This (your post) is why I no longer do it. I've been without carbs (especially wheat) for so long now that reintroducing them, even for one meal, makes me feel worse than the "special occasion" is worth.

Cut the wheat and never look back.

sunday 02-01-2013 11:49 AM

Oh and my fav Paleo & PHD blogs are Tummyrumblr, The Daily Avocado and The 10 Minute Meal. :)

The two mentioned above have many non lc recipes, which I thought would be of interest to all of our JUDDDers who are not lc.

spirilis 02-01-2013 12:19 PM

Not diabetic or on JUDDD, but I'd like to echo the same issues. I discovered the first time I did low-carb that my GERD disappeared, and only came back with wheat consumption, and every time trying wheat since .... Bathroom issues resurface, it's almost like the "gluten" in wheat acts literally like "glue" down in there or something. Constipation, eventually followed by painful diarrhea... takes a couple days to detox from that too.

Librarygirl 02-01-2013 04:40 PM

Wow, there's so much "work" to getting healthy! :D I think if I were going gluten-free, I'd probably just go back to LC. The *only* reason I started JUDDD was to be able to eat sugar and wheat. I am happy about the health benefits of IFing, but at this point I would not restrict myself further (in addition to fasting), and would just go all out LC, if I were to go GF. Thanks for the "food for thought". :)

piratejenny 02-01-2013 04:59 PM

Actually, most of the gluten-free products, blogs, cookbooks, etc I have come across so far
are not LC/diabetes-friendly *at all*. :(
(Except Paleo, I guess, but I'm not going there yet! :laugh:
Even on Paleo, there's fruit & some starchy veg which I don't eat.)

I know what you mean, about doing JUDDD to eat wheat & sugar, but honestly if anyone wanted to eliminate *only* wheat you could still eat a lot more things than I can. :p

Librarygirl 02-01-2013 05:08 PM

I don't consider being able to eat fruit, or "natural" sugar in the form of fruit or non low carb veggies to be a big bonus. :D I want cupcakes!!! :D

piratejenny 02-01-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16234544)
I don't consider being able to eat fruit, or "natural" sugar in the form of fruit or non low carb veggies to be a big bonus.

I don't understand...what WOE are you referring to?

Librarygirl 02-01-2013 05:44 PM

I thought you meant that even GF, you have have some "non-friendly" LC food...as in, fruit and veggies that are higher carb. I was trying to say that it's not enough incentive to *me*. I want milk chocolate with sugar (not baking chocolate with splenda), and real cupcakes, lol.

piratejenny 02-01-2013 06:00 PM

Milk chocolate with sugar doesn't have wheat in it...there are hundreds of gluten-free flours (rice, tapioca, potato, bean [garbanzo, soy, black bean]) and baking mixes and commercial products that taste pretty darn "real"--but aren't low-carb.

I'm not trying to *convince* you...lol...just clarify: if *all* you take out of the equation is wheat (or even gluten), you're still left with sugar & lots of options. Just Google gluten-free cupcakes!!! :faint:

Quote:

I thought you meant that even GF, you have have some "non-friendly" LC food...as in, fruit and veggies that are higher carb.
No, I meant that the closest thing to wheat-free AND low-carb seems to be Paleo. But fruit & many root veggies are allowed that I don't eat, plus I'm not looking to give up dairy, so it doesn't really appeal to me.

Librarygirl 02-01-2013 06:08 PM

Well, if I can have candy bars, I might be able to "settle" for GF cupcakes. :D I have tried LC options on many things and they were better than nothing, but to be honest, most substitutions tasted like substitutions. Still, you have a point and I may yet be converted. :) My cousin brought a GF chocolate cake on NY day that was to die for, although he used sugar. If sugar is okay, I might be okay with GF!

piratejenny 02-01-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16234641)
If sugar is okay, I might be okay with GF!

It's okay if you want it to be! It doesn't have any gluten in it!!!! :laugh:

sunday 02-02-2013 06:38 AM

:lol:

PJ, And the funny thing about paleo, is that you probably are pretty much eating paleo except for dairy which is PHD. :)

I remember when I first heard about Wheatbelly, I thought "yeah right, I gave up sugar and bread, now wheat?" But you can still bake some amazing desserts and treats that tastes unbelievably good and satisfy sans gluten. :)

KeirasMom 02-02-2013 06:46 AM

I made a GF cake not too long ago and it was pretty good. All it had was a can of garbanzo beans and some chocolate chips. Sounds gross, but it was really good. It even passed the Keira test.

sunday 02-02-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16235102)
I made a GF cake not too long ago and it was pretty good. All it had was a can of garbanzo beans and some chocolate chips. Sounds gross, but it was really good. It even passed the Keira test.

I would love this recipe! :love:

sungoddess 02-02-2013 07:58 AM

I have been gluten free for quite some time. Wheat Belly and Dangerous Grains really point out the reasons to avoid the stuff. What surprised me is all the hidden places for wheat. Did you know there is wheat in Play Doh? And in many glues and pastes.

Lots of people just think of it being in flour or bakery products. It is even in many lipsticks and different kind of candy, like Twizzlers. There are places on the internet that list safe products by brand name. It's in spice mixes and gravy. Even the glue on stamps and envelopes.That stuff sneaks in everywhere!! Soy sauce, some ice creams, salad dressings, flavored coffees and teas, beer, some liquor, soups, toothpaste.

My point being, you may be getting a lot more of it than you think you are!
Sneaky sneaky stuff...

Carly 02-02-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sungoddess (Post 16235235)
I have been gluten free for quite some time. Wheat Belly and Dangerous Grains really point out the reasons to avoid the stuff. What surprised me is all the hidden places for wheat. Did you know there is wheat in Play Doh? And in many glues and pastes.

Lots of people just think of it being in flour or bakery products. It is even in many lipsticks and different kind of candy, like Twizzlers. There are places on the internet that list safe products by brand name. It's in spice mixes and gravy. Even the glue on stamps and envelopes.That stuff sneaks in everywhere!! Soy sauce, some ice creams, salad dressings, flavored coffees and teas, beer, some liquor, soups, toothpaste.

My point being, you may be getting a lot more of it than you think you are!
Sneaky sneaky stuff...

But you don't eat the play doh or paste... right? :dunno:
I'm sure glutton free is so much better for health, but I'm not there personally. I corrected the bathroom issue with one package on miracle noodles!!!! For me they work every time!

sungoddess 02-02-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16235102)

Bean cakes, like Lauren's from Healthy Indulgences are pretty good! Unfortunately I am off legumes for now as they are also reported to damage the gut! Boo hoo.

There are some excellent gluten free recipes on this forum! Even when making gluten free recipes, you need to watch the ingredients. you are using. For example, some beans are made in facilities where they are cross contaminated with gluten, so check the label of the beans. A can of Blue Label Black Beans is gluten-free, but some are not. Some chocolate chips have gluten. You can buy gluten free ones and even vanilla extract can have gluten. It just becomes a matter of reading labels. We have a Sprouts store where I live that really caters to gluten-free products and everything is well marked. Makes it easier!

sungoddess 02-02-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16235250)
But you don't eat the play doh or paste... right? :dunno:
I'm sure glutton free is so much better for health, but I'm not there personally. I corrected the bathroom issue with one package on miracle noodles!!!! For me they work every time!

Yes children do eat it and playing with it with their hands is a problem because the hands go in the mouth.For some kids, even ingesting that much is an issue.

Carly 02-02-2013 08:10 AM

Yes, I could see that being an issue for small children. I was afraid you were speaking about yourself or other adults.

sunday 02-02-2013 08:19 AM

I guess I haven't eliminated all legumes, because I still have black beans and garbanzo (although sporadically). I do love Healthy Induglences blog and had forgotten about that one. :heart:

GME 02-02-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16233659)
I'm reading Wheat Belly currently, and have decided to go wheat/gluten free for 2 weeks. I'd like to finish the book first, but want to start on Monday, so I'm not sure if it'll be this coming Monday or the following Monday, but I'll let you all know how it goes for me.

(BTW, I checked, and my chili is gluten free!) :hyst:

I'm trying this with Keira too, as she has very sensitive skin and gets the "chicken skin" I've seen noted to be related to wheat sensitivity, along with a few other symptoms. I'm going to have her help me shop for us so she gets to choose healthy foods as well as some gluten free treats.

I went to Costco and saw gf chocolate chip cookies in small 3 cookie-size pkgs. They are not LC or healthy, but I thought of you and your daughter in case you wanted lunchbox treats. My son, who needs to be gf but struggles as a teen that eats with friends, said they are "the best gf thing I have ever tasted."

KeirasMom 02-02-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16235197)
I would love this recipe! :love:

I looked and I can't find it now. I got it from the site where I track my calories. I'll try to look for it again later.

piratejenny 02-02-2013 09:06 AM

Gluten can be absorbed through the skin, so kids can't touch commercial Play-Doh, even if they don't put their hands in their mouths, or if they wash their hands before meals. Other people have to be wary of lotions & other cosmetics.

Personally, I'm just eliminating wheat right now, not all gluten or foods that may have been processed in non-certified facilities.

I'm seeing some improvements in my blood glucose already. The first few days, my fasting blood glucose was *higher* than usual--about 160--which totally freaked me out. My "normal" is around 125-130. But yesterday it was 92 and today was 103 :up: (even though I had a little ice cream last night and forgot to take my metformin). And a couple times my BG was rather "low" several hours after eating--75 and 68--but I didn't feel hypoglycemic or hungry at all. Usually I'm pretty psyched if it's even slightly under 100! :up: :up:

sungoddess 02-02-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16235259)
Yes, I could see that being an issue for small children. I was afraid you were speaking about yourself or other adults.

Hahaha Carly! I did eat paste as a kid! I liked it for some reason. Maybe it started me on the path of wheat addiction. I did try to avoid touching it much so it didn't absorb in me during times of gut attacks. I have worked with kids all my adult life, and I swear, the things I would see them eat!! It's hard to catch them fast enough.