Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Begginner Questions

I have read tons of threads about JUDDD now and I still am liking what I am seeing.

but a few general questions I am wondering.

My cals when calculated were 1974 and 393.

Am I allowed to change that up just a bit. Like 1800 and 560? Does that defeat the purpose or is it ok to take a few cals. from the UP day and apply to Down day if that makes it more doable to the person?

To lose consistently, should I stay more low carb? My atkins is about 30 NC right now. the amt. of restriction is getting to me. I only want to hit about 60 NC right now tho. I don't want to jump too high.

So do any of you follow your UP days by net carbs in your calories for the day? kinda combine those to make your meal selections? That would be ok right?

I feel like I am over thinking it but I want to have a FEW extras in my day but I also want to definnitely lose weight and not plod along.

thanks for any help on my questions. I have atkins on the brain and net carbs and fat and all that and trying to switch my thoughts over to JUDD is taking me a bit.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I don't usually count calories at all on my uds. I haven't had any issues with this, but others have found that they need to stick to what the calculator says.

I don't count carbs at all

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-31-2013 at 12:23 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I don't count carbs at all and have not found that carbs are problematic for me. I believed that they were, but in fact they were not.

I have also not needed to count my UDs, but many people do and that is just one of those things that you will need to test out. I would count them religiously in the beginning and if you learn that there is no real need to do so because your natural need for food is in line with your calorie allotment you may chose to stop.

My personal recommendation would be against borrowing UD calories and sliding them to DDs. The spread is really important. That is where the JUDDD magic comes from.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I'm doing a lowcarb version of JUDDD, but many here are not limiting carbs, just calories. You have to experiment to see what is tolerable and effective for you. Eating 50-60 net carbs would still be pretty low, compared to the standard diet; I think that researchers sometimes call anything under 150 total carbs/day "low carb." I don't think I would lose eating that many carbs, but I am more carb-sensitive and weightloss-resistent than most people.

Many people start aiming for 500 calories on their down days; DDs get easier, and I wouldn't try to do fewer than 500/day at the start. Some people never go below 500 calories on their down days. One thing I remember reading is that there should be at least 1000 calories spread between up days and down days; other than that, you could try tweaking and see how it goes.

I try to weigh and measure everything, but my kitchen is not a lab and I'm sure that sometimes I am a little sloppy in measuring things out. So while I'm supposed to be eating 1770/324 or some such number of calories, I aim for between 1700 and 1800 on up days and as low as I can go on down days (but I've been doing JUDDD for over 3 months now, and the DDs have gotten easier). Others have more experience than me, but I'd guess what you propose is "close enough"; give it a try and see how things go.

Welcome to the nicest, most supportive group you'll ever find!
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

AH, the spread between up and down is that important. OK. I thought so but wondered if I could sneak a few. well, eek, I tried

my basic day of food won't be hitting the 1974 they told me to eat. So eating a bit under would be ok right? I don't have to force up to that amt. they told me on the calculator?

but I should count at first to be sure I am not going over.

all great info. it gets me more in line with JUD and getting the atkins info out of my brain lol
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

sven I have been asking questions for about a week or so now. switching over might definitely be happening. On this forum I have gotten the best help with my questions. everyone has been so nice.

and the threads are so imformative. people post all the good info in just the right format to really help a newbie!

Sven how low are you going on carbs per day? I am about 25-30 NC right now and I have a very wonky feeling each day. just off. kinda slow, energy is waning, brain foggy and I almost just feel like atkins is not for me. So I am researching where to turn.

do you get this feeling at all? edited to say I do salt, mag, multi, tons of water, and everything everyone tells me to do to feel better but it isn't kicking in at all.

Last edited by Trigger828; 01-31-2013 at 12:44 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Again, I'm a relative newbie to JUDDD, but I try to avoid eating when I'm not hungry, so I personally wouldn't worry about being a bit under up day calories on the calculator on one day. Over time, I've found that my DDs have gotten less plagued by hunger, but my UDs have gotten hungrier, as my body has learned that it's only going to get much food every other day. To think that I once thought it would be hard for me to eat 1700 calories on an up day! It's no problem now!

So I think you'll find that it gets easier to eat within your calorie limits over time.

You might try inching up the carbs a bit cautiously/slowly; it can take a while to adjust to eating carbs, just like it took a while to adjust to not eating them.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I know that it is recommended to eat as close to your UD numbers as possible, but early on that was hard since my number was so high. Now my numbers are 1600/300 (roughly), so I'm glad I forced myself at least once a week to eat that full amount because it kept my metabolism going since I'm certain that at least 1 of my UDs during a given week are above 1600 now, but it hasn't hurt me so far. In all fairness and full disclosure most of my DDs are under 200 calories so I have a few left over that may compensate for my slightly higher than 1600 UD.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
sven I have been asking questions for about a week or so now. switching over might definitely be happening. On this forum I have gotten the best help with my questions. everyone has been so nice.

and the threads are so imformative. people post all the good info in just the right format to really help a newbie!

Sven how low are you going on carbs per day? I am about 25-30 NC right now and I have a very wonky feeling each day. just off. kinda slow, energy is waning, brain foggy and I almost just feel like atkins is not for me. So I am researching where to turn.

do you get this feeling at all? edited to say I do salt, mag, multi, tons of water, and everything everyone tells me to do to feel better but it isn't kicking in at all.
I aim for less than 30 net carbs per day, but I am very insulin resistent, and I hope that you are less so. Some people need to eat more carbs than that to feel good; if I were you, I'd consider trying 40 or 50 net carbs per day and see how it goes. You can always inch that higher if you feel good and are losing well.

Have you had any success losing weight on other types of diet, like the standard lowfat/lowcalorie/higher carb approach (say, Weight Watchers)? If so, then my guess is that you can tolerate more carbs than me; the ONLY way that I lose is if I keep my carbs low (just limiting calories accomplishes nothing for me).

I also try to eat food that is really healthy--homemade bone broth, liver, wildcaught salmon, greens, grassfed beef, organic vegetables, free range eggs, full-fat organic dairy, Greek yogurt, etc. JUDDD doesn't demand that you eat any particular kind of food, but a lot of people find that they naturally pick healthy food most of the time, once they get past an initial phase of letting themselves eat more sweets, etc. (but counting calories all the while).

Post often and let us know how things are going. Consider adding resveratrol and pterostilbene supplements to your JUDDD diet; they have helped me with hunger on down days and are just generally good for people. Maybe try a potassium supplement, too, if the potassium level in your multi isn't very high; that seems to help some people who feel lousy on a lowcarb WOE.

Last edited by svenskamae; 01-31-2013 at 12:59 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

sven that was interesting you asked about other diets. did only 1. Lost 70 lbs on LA WeightLoss and that was just calorie restriction. I did what everyone did and gained 50 lbs. back by getting slopping and diving into 'only a few french fries'. yea right? that made me want MANY more french fries lol

but this time I learned more and more and feel that I have a heads up now on what to avoid. I think you are right. I think I do need more carbs. But to be VERY cautious. eat up the amt of carbs that I feel better. slowly. when I hit that stop.

wonderful info. and I thank you for it. this helps me so much.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Carly that is a good post to help me. little tips like that make one get an idea of how to really work this plan. I never thought about keeping the metabolism moving like that so be sure to eat up to that number sometimes, but it is ok to come in lower also if needed.

I don't want to force eat ever. I do have to do that on atkins many times and I don't like it. I have to keep my fat intake way up.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Carly that is a good post to help me. little tips like that make one get an idea of how to really work this plan. I never thought about keeping the metabolism moving like that so be sure to eat up to that number sometimes, but it is ok to come in lower also if needed.

I don't want to force eat ever. I do have to do that on atkins many times and I don't like it. I have to keep my fat intake way up.
If you find yourself way under on an ud, you can eat nuts, dark chocolate, or have a coffee with extras added to give yourself a calorie boost. Many here are fond of a good glass of wine too

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-31-2013 at 01:16 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
I remember thinking I'd have trouble eating my UD calories in the beginning, but somehow that has never been a problem for me There's always just one more thing I want to eat on UD's. I think it's because I'm no longer very low carb. Ketosis really is the best appetite suppressant.

But people here who have that problem have some inventive ways to find yummy things that are high in calories to sneak in.
deedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

ice cream.

omg never thought of that.

thanks!!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Having not been at this very long, one thing I've noticed consistently in everything I've read is that the spread is important. So yes I'd recommend trying to hit your UD cals. I've got a bag of pecans in the pantry - 1/4 cup is 200 cals so its super easy for me to munch a handful or two (I LOVE PECANS!) to hit my goal. Others use dark chocolate, peanut butter, coconut oil, fat bombs, ice cream sundaes!
The "suffering" of the DD wont be as effective without the swing the next day which is why everyone usually encourages JUDDDers to try to stick with the numbers given by the calculator.
With your numbers, you're averaging 1183.5 calories per day. That's pretty low when you think about most restricted cal diets recommend women start out at 1200-1300 per day. So think about cutting out even 2-300 cals from your up day and your average drops to 900-1000 cals per day. That's quite low.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

thanks yennie that gives me some perspective on what I am dealing with.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Sven----since you are very low carb, are you upping your fats. it almost sounds like you could be doing atkins in rotation days if your fat % is kinda high.

the body burns fat if carbs are not there so you are getting good fat intake right?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sven----since you are very low carb, are you upping your fats. it almost sounds like you could be doing atkins in rotation days if your fat % is kinda high.

the body burns fat if carbs are not there so you are getting good fat intake right?
My fat percentage is very high (maybe 75-85 percent of calories) on up days, because I limit both carbs (under 30 net) and protein grams (aim for under 60 grams but sometimes go above).

On down days, sometimes I eat mostly lean protein (boiled eggs, turkey or chicken without skim, boiled shrimp, 1 ounce light cheese), which makes my down day fat percentage low. Sometimes I eat just tea or coffee with half and half and broth on down days (which makes my fat percentage high). I get hardly any carbs on down days, though occasionally I eat some raw vegetables (say, radishes) if I feel the need to crunch something.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
thanks yennie that gives me some perspective on what I am dealing with.
My pleasure. Its pretty interesting to crunch the numbers...I know had "sticker shock" at my UD target of 2200 (yikes!!!) but combined with my DDs, I average around 1500 cals per day. And I'm actually lower because I rarely hit my DD target of 440-500. Its getting easier to keep the DDs low.

I'm tempted to play with my numbers some, but someone recommended that I stick with the numbers I was given for at least 2 weeks, see how my body responds and play around with it from there. So I'm finishing out the week strong with my 2200/440 (or less) and then I may play with dropping my UDs a bit if I can maintain my DDs at <400. Also I'm hoping this $@#% cough, left over from my flu last week, will be gone by then so I can start running again. UG!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

sven on those down days don't you get almost lightheaded at all? I mean atkins is all about high fat and I have to say when I go lower I feel it literally.

thank you for posting all that menu because it is great for me to see a low carb plan like that for JUDDD. helps me alot.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Yennie I am a number cruncher also. that is why thinking of jumping from atkins into JUDDD, the JUDDD numbers are confusing me to a bit because I am all about HI fat and mod. protein. with JUDDD if I include in more carbs, I have to cut fat back then.
I am getting percentage jumbled at this point.

you left atkins and seemed to have embraced JUDDD with a vengence. kinda like what I will probaby do lol
Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
sven on those down days don't you get almost lightheaded at all? I mean atkins is all about high fat and I have to say when I go lower I feel it literally.

thank you for posting all that menu because it is great for me to see a low carb plan like that for JUDDD. helps me alot.
Fortunately, I don't get lightheaded on down days, whether I eat lean protein or whether I eat liquids with a little fat. I get distracted and uncomfortable from hunger sometimes, or cold, or have trouble falling asleep on difficult DDs, but I also have a lot of energy.

I really advise you to ease into down days by starting at 500 calories and not being too hard on yourself if you go a bit above that sometimes. Once the SIRT genes kick in, you'll find DDs easier--and you may find that you enjoy extra energy and clear-headedness on DDs. I was truly afraid of the DD hunger, when I started out, but it lessens over time and also tends to come and go if you ride it out--rather than building and getting worse and worse. Also, drink lots of fluids (whatever works for you, water with lemon and tea for me) on your down days; it does help. And go to bed early, if you can, to sleep through some of the hungry time.

I eat the same boring stuff over and over on down days, but there are lots of example recipes and "what are you eating" threads on this board. Some people do well with big amounts of stirfried vegetables or salads or shiritaki noodle dishes; I'm just so used to thinking those things should have a lot of fat in them that they taste disappointing to me without fat added, but they do fill people up with lots of volume of food.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
you left atkins and seemed to have embraced JUDDD with a vengence. kinda like what I will probaby do lol
I have, that is true, and for me its the normalcy every other day. I just could not limit myself anymore like I had to on Atkins. And, honestly, I was having a really tough time getting into ketosis on induction. I did Atkins years ago, and the pounds melted off. It was really easy to stay motivated (and deprived) when I was seeing such spectacular results. This time around, not so much. So I jumped ship.

One thing you'll notice here is that, although the losses may be slower, in general the attitude seems to be more positive. Yes, DDs are hard and yes there are stalls. Yes there are UUADs but I feel like the people doing JUDDD are happier than most of the folks following the other plans, and still getting great results. Just my personal opinion & observation.

Honestly I quit worrying about fat, carbs, protein, etc and just went for straight calories. But I know this about myself - I can't get overly focused on too many numbers, or I say "Screw it" and eat an entire bag of chips.

I think doing LC and JUDDD is very doable. I've just not chosen to do it that way. There is such freedom in this plan! And the DDs do get better! I'm sitting here sipping on my (approximately) 100-105th calories today (a cup of chicken bullion) - I had some coffee with skim milk this morning and a few bites of leftover potato bake broth for lunch but, honestly, I wasn't hungry. And, seriously, a week ago I would have kicked my own booty for saying that... <150 calories for the entire day and I'm not hungry? This is a joke, right? Actually, no, its not. And when I was tempted, I just reminded myself that I can have whatever I want tomorrow. And I will. Except that I've noticed that whatever I want tends to be on the healthier side so I'll hit my UD cals, but with very little garbage.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Honestly I quit worrying about fat, carbs, protein, etc and just went for straight calories. But I know this about myself - I can't get overly focused on too many numbers, or I say "Screw it" and eat an entire bag of chips.

this eventually happens to me. the counting, the over focus and then the meltown from that focus with every percentage being checked over and over.
This is why I just switched to my 'own low carb plan'. I took away the atkins. I am sick of 'following' a plan. right now I am staying strick low carb frmo what I learned, I think JUDDD looking better and better.

great post Yennie. it has gave me more insight into what should be best for me. thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:

Am I allowed to change that up just a bit. Like 1800 and 560? Does that defeat the purpose or is it ok to take a few cals. from the UP day and apply to Down day if that makes it more doable to the person?

I would say it's probably a good idea to try the calories first. I think you'll be surprised. The DDs seem daunting at first, but they get much easier! However, in the book Dr. J recommends doing 500 cal down days for the first two weeks, then either going to 20% or, if more calories are more doable to you, Dr. J says you can increase your DD calories to 25%, 30%, or even 35%. It's interesting to play with the percentages on the calculator to see how many calories are there. You'll have to see how you lose ... there's a chance you may possibly lose more slowly at the higher levels, but if they are more doable for you it is definitely an option. Or you can vary your DD calories between 0 and 35% depending on where your hunger level is that day or what you have planned.

To lose consistently, should I stay more low carb?

I haven't restricted carbs at all on up days until recently, and I still lost well. Only recently have I started to reduce carbs, and that's only because I just became aware my blood sugar levels are a little higher than optimal. I'm not doing Atkins levels though. The typical person will lose weight on any carb level they choose as long as the calories are in range. This plan has a lot of freedom in it.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote