Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tooraloora
Stats: 222/150.7/139
WOE: 2003 calorie counting + ex./ 2012 Aug 25: JUDD
joining in the sincere condolences

I hope life settles again soon once your deadline has been met... I know I find it very hard to diet (which no matter how I do it, there seems to be some "stress" associated with the WOE in terms of prep, or rules, or ... ) when I am facing other stressors at the same time.
tooraloora is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/168.4/140)65yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
I am so sorry for your loss, Steph! Sending you lots of
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Oh Steph

Don't make any decisions about anything this week (though adding gluc isn't a bad idea). Just take your time, with all that stress from work and emotional stuff.

S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Sorry for your loss, Steph.
I trust you met your deadline and I hope you and your publisher are happy with your book.
Now your deadline's passed and you can let the stress levels subside, I hope you soon resume your JUDDD calm.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
My deepest condolence for the loss of your beloved grandmother

Love that you took the time to post to us, despite your hectic life right now Great post, as always

I know what you mean about only getting to eat every other day, I've had the dark thoughts as well. Then I remember how well I've lost on this plan and it's hard to shake that. At some point, I'm sure I'll raise my DD calories - am thinking that should be enough to feel less deprived. There is something special about those DD's, it seems like a little personal competition going on. This can be fun, but perhaps counter productive when our body reacts so strongly by over eating the next day.

I hope you can get some rest soon - both physically and mentally.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm sorry for your loss, and so proud of you for staying the course and not being derailed by it.

I have gone through periods of diet fatigue with JUDDD and moved to maintenance numbers for a bit to get through them. It worked for me, so that's always an option to try if your other additions don't help next week.

Stress and insomnia do nothing good for weight loss, so this week was bound to be hard. I have faith that you'll have a better week coming up.
Thank you. I am totally taking your example and I'm in a much better mental place!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gluc Powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
So sorry for your loss, Steph.You are doing very well by losing every week, even if you didn't this *one* time. That's ahead of the game right there! Thank you for the recipe tips too. I have not tried gluc powder, but will look for it ASAP.
It's an important tool, IMO. It adds fiber and body to things that keep you fuller, longer. I've been making a sort of jello with it, but I need to hunt down some citric acid and lime to make it set up right. I just haven't the first idea where to find them.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
Sorry for your loss
30 weeks is a long time to be so focused on a certain WOE. Too bad it doesn't just become 2nd nature. I think that's a good idea to start incorporating old DD tricks. I wonder if going into maintenance phase for a bit would help? Are you still doing the 20% weight loss mode?
Congratulations on 32 pounds!!
Yes, I'm still doing 20% on DDs. I find that if I do that and eat _whatever I want_ on up days, I can maintain :P
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
So sorry for your loss, Stephanie. I think that you are right about how Nana would want you to continue on your health journey. Stress like this can keep the scale from going down. I'm very proud of you for not gaining with all you have been dealing with. Love you, Girl.
Love you too! All of you who posted on this thread, really. You're all amazing.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Steph, my condolences on your grandmother's passing.

I hope all goes well with your book. Wow, what a stressful week!!!

*If* you ever have time/feel up to it, some people have had success making their own gluc noodles...free of fishy water!
*hugs* Yes, I want to try it! I need to find the special ingredients.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'm sorry that you have had such a rough week. Like others who have posted, I thought of maybe advising a few weeks in maintenance mode, until you are feeling less diet fatigued and under less stress. I know that too little sleep and/or too much stress means that my cortisol is up and I'm not going to lose weight for a while anyway, no matter what I do, and that might be true for you, too.

I hope next week is better.
I took your advice and I'm feeling so much better!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
So sorry for the pain you are going through with your loss, but please remember that loved ones never really go, they are just there now in a different way. Look around, she will be everywhere when you need her the most, as she was in life.
That's lovely. I wrote a eulogy for her this week and though it made me cry, it was a nice way of remembering her and thinking back on anecdotes about her life.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. And the stress on top of it.

You're doing marvelously, despite the "0" this week. That happens to everyone. Happened to me many many times. But look at it this way. In the past, what would have happened in a week like this? I know for me I would have eaten every feeling I had and probably then some.
Hmmm. Are you sure we're not long lost sisters? Because that's exactly what I would do. And then I would feel horrible, and eat more, in defiance. So I'm counting it a win.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I'll bet she was mighty proud of her granddaughter, the successful author.
She introduced me to my first romance book. She had shelves of them. And they were never the quiet stories about lonely cowboys or quiet girls next door. They were always the big sweeping epics about pirates or marauding Vikings or hardy pioneer women who were kidnapped by Apache Indians. She gave me my sense of drama, I think

Quote:
You're doing great staying on plan. Just be nice to yourself right now. You need some time and space to grieve, and to focus on your book. Don't try to do everything. And I know this book will be fantastic. I just finished Song of the Nile and all I can say is WOW! The woman who wrote this just could not write a bad book!
Oh, you are too kind!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Steph,
I am so sorry for your loss. I understand the heart ache. I am also sorry for your stress.

You said this quote --and that was me a short time ago. Felt I couldn't go on much longer and that is not a good sign.

Diet Fatigue. For the first time in maybe seven months, I had this thought: I don't know how much longer I can stand only eating every other day... For me, that's a dangerous thought. It shocked me, because I've been so happy on JUDDD for so long.

I switched over to the Perfect Health Diet and am doing a daily fast of 16 hours with an 8 hour window to eat. What a HUGE HUGE difference it has made. My body was telling me something with the way I was fasting and I was fighting it tooth and nail.

With the 16/8 I stop eating at 8:00PM and next meal is at noon. I have a cup of coffee with coconut oil when I wake up. This is way more manageable and I feel at PEACE. No stress. No cravings or desires to binge. I will do this for awhile, and when ready, I will go back to JUDDDing.

You just may need to change things for awhile. I thought JUDDD was the answer when I started and for six months, but my body wanted something else after awhile.

Hugs to you.
I'm so glad this is working for you. I'm not sure I want to change plans yet, but do you find that it helps with uncontrollable up days? Because the down days I've finally got down to a science.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Regarding UP day appetite ... oh! I get so that my body has totally figured out what I'm doing. It was so lovely when my up day calories felt so generous. Oh well! Still love JUDDD.
Yes! I think it's pretty clear that my body has clued in. "No point tormenting her with hunger pains on down days because she just won't eat. But if I can get her into an eating frenzy on an up day, she'll have downed half her calories by breakfast and won't have the willpower to slow down by dinner."

Quote:
Re: diet fatigue: I was experiencing that in January and didn't figure that out right away. I took it easy. I am consoled by the fact that our most fabulous losers have taken breaks and gone on to achieve great things with weight loss.
Thank god they have shared their stories with us!

Quote:
With the super-low DD numbers ... I was just thinking about this! I played with the calculator the other day and realized how many calories are still considered a down day. I'm actually going to increase my down day calories a bit when I need to, because I can! I think if we suffer less, we are less likely to go into diet fatigue (see point two ).
I think this is true. Yesterday I had a very nice DD and filled it up with shirataki noodle soup. Today I feel less crazy.

Quote:
And remember, your novel is like a beloved guest who has stayed a little too long. Once it leaves, you'll appreciate it so much more.
I think I'm going to tape that to my wall!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Stephanie, have I mentioned I love the way your mind works? And I am amazed by clarity you achieve when you commit thoughts to words. The book is good. The book is probably great. I suspect feeling it is feldergarb is a normal part of the creative process - exacerbated by stress.

And you have been through an extended period of stress capped by a nightmare you knew was coming, but could not be truly prepared for. I wish I had a way to help you get through this.

Shaking things up by trying new recipes, new foods, new eating patterns/timing does help with diet fatigue. In times of emotional and physical stress (and you have plenty of both), concentrating on eating foods that are provide nutritional support really can help - eat your veggies, your protein, your fats, your dark chocolate.

Hugs, I wish I had a magic wand to make it all better.
You do, Nancy. You wield your love and compassion like the most powerful sorcery and I watch you do it day after day on this board. I just think the world of you...and your words helped me quite a bit this week.

Especially feldergarb. Which is a new word for me and one that I'm going to have to find ways to use more often!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Sorry for your loss, Steph.
I trust you met your deadline and I hope you and your publisher are happy with your book.
It was not as bad as I thought :P

Quote:
Now your deadline's passed and you can let the stress levels subside, I hope you soon resume your JUDDD calm.
Me too! Thank you!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
Love that you took the time to post to us, despite your hectic life right now
You guys keep me honest. Trust me, there have been more than a few times I've thought, "Well, I could eat that cake...but I have to weigh in and tell everybody my numbers in the morning on the JUDDD board, so maybe not..."

Quote:
I know what you mean about only getting to eat every other day, I've had the dark thoughts as well. Then I remember how well I've lost on this plan and it's hard to shake that. At some point, I'm sure I'll raise my DD calories - am thinking that should be enough to feel less deprived. There is something special about those DD's, it seems like a little personal competition going on. This can be fun, but perhaps counter productive when our body reacts so strongly by over eating the next day.
This is a really good point because I think that may be exactly what happens. It wasn't the case in the beginning. My first down day was horrific, but the first up day was surprisingly good. My stomach "shrank" or so I thought. And it was that way for a long time.

But I guess bodies are clever things...
Old 02-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Hmmm. Are you sure we're not long lost sisters? Because that's exactly what I would do. And then I would feel horrible, and eat more, in defiance. So I'm counting it a win.
We probably are. : I ate a LOT of feelings! Still have to fight that one all the time. Probably will forever. But it's a fight I can win more often than not these days.

It is a win. A huge one.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012

I learned a saying (mantra, affirmation, call it what you will): my feelings are NOT bigger than me.

I find that really helpful, as I'm a person who eats (or who did, previously) for numbness... eat when happy, eat when sad, eat when frustrated, when bored, when stressed, when not stressed...

I learned that I can handle the ups and downs in life, and I don't *need* food to do it. It took 38yrs (I'll assume I was ok for the first 2...) to get here.

I credit quite a bit to finding JUDDD, and learning, first off, that "hunger is not an emergency".... I think once I learned that I can handle hunger, that I can then handle a lot more things I was scared of.

I'm rambling, but I think I'm going to go put this in the nsv

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
I've been making a sort of jello with (gluc), but I need to hunt down some citric acid and lime to make it set up right. I just haven't the first idea where to find them.
Citric acid--I have a bottle from NOW Foods; this brand can be found at many health food stores or on just about any vitamin site. It's also the main ingredient in Kool-Aid! That could be tasty for jello...maybe not so much for noodles...

Pickling lime--I found some by the canning jars at WalMart.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote