Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 149/138/130
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
FAST 5

Has anyone tried this way of fasting? I am stuck at the moment (well for 5 weeks), and am trying it starting today. My wedding is nearly 3 months away and am desperate to shed this last 8 pound!
You fast 19 hours a day, with not one calorie at all just water, then eat for a 5 hour window. I know Eilio had said something recently about trying it. Just wonder if we have any juddders here that have tried it?

Since I have been judding quite awhile, I feel like I need to mix it up as I have stalled, but I love how fasting makes me feel. I wonder if sirts will stay in place and also will metabolism slow down? Any advice would be fantastic!

My eating window is going to be 4-9pm I think, I will see how I go!
SICCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I usually eat in a fast 5 fashion. Usually my window is more like 2-3 hours, but it's just my natural rhythm most days. UD and DD. I just prefer to eat in the late evening, but if I'm really hungry mid- day on an UD I'll usually have something small like a yogurt, but more and more I'm playing with just eating between 7pm and 9:30pm.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
I've just started with an eating window..also, downloaded the Fast 5 information today...the man who developed it and has done it a couple of times in his life said that a person could count on losing about 1 lb a week, and some people more...it was in interesting read...what got my attention was when he talked about how over weight affects the body..he said imagine a person is carrying around a bushel basket of beans or something...then he kept going up..
til I finally said..holy cow, I'm carrying around a small refrigerator! ..he had some interesting things to say, and it makes sense that if the window is limited the body would have more time to do it's house work..so..I'll see how it goes too..it's very much like Juddd...just has more fasting time.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymar View Post
I've just started with an eating window..also, downloaded the Fast 5 information today...the man who developed it and has done it a couple of times in his life said that a person could count on losing about 1 lb a week, and some people more...it was in interesting read...what got my attention was when he talked about how over weight affects the body..he said imagine a person is carrying around a bushel basket of beans or something...then he kept going up..
til I finally said..holy cow, I'm carrying around a small refrigerator! ..he had some interesting things to say, and it makes sense that if the window is limited the body would have more time to do it's house work..so..I'll see how it goes too..it's very much like Juddd...just has more fasting time.
Or less depending how you look at it. Our DD is really 36 hours on approx. 300-400 calories. In Fast 5 you are only going 19 hours and I don't think there is a calorie cap so you could eat 1500 every day in your 5 hours and just wait 19 hours till eating again. When I do fast 5 on vacation I don't lose, but I do maintain. I natuurally eat in a small window most days but always following my juddd calories for UD or DD.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
This sounds interesting even if it's just to shake things up. I usually do something like this on Thursdays (my weigh in day at TOPS). I only have coffee in the morning then water until about 7:30pm. Then, when I get home from my meeting I will have dinner but since I go to bed around 10 that's a very small window. I tend to get full VERY quickly when I do. Would love to hear how it goes if you try it SICCHI!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Most days I eat/drink about 100 - 150 calories for breakfast and lunch. I eat most of my calories for appetizers and dinner (DD calories low, UD calories whatever).

That is not strict Fast 5 - last I heard they were saying stay below 50 calories at breakfast and lunch.

But, I kinda eat JUDDD calories in a Fast 5 format while mostly eating PHD foods/food proportions.

Over the course of my journey I stuck to JUDDD calories while trying a lot of different eating patterns and food proportions. I totally believe shaking things up is a very good thing - the more you learn about your own metabolism, the better you will feel, the easier it will be to lose, and the more glorious maintenance will be.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Thanks, Carly,...I do see what you mean...and I don't want to maintain..I need to lose..so..I will want to continue the dd and ud..I am easily confused, but i have seen enough to know I will have to cut calories..I have been thinking that keeping an eating window might help me have better control on my ud's..I'm making progress, trying to tweak things to keep losing..
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #8
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
There's a thread devoted to this in the 'other plans' section It's on my to-try list, at some point
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I am maintaining at 1900 and 500, respectively. I don't understand it. That's 1200 a day and at 188, I surely would lose on that, right? Not sure what to do...I have a hard time keeping it lower than those numbers. I guess I've got to try harder.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Sicchi there was a caution about this being better for men, as it can seriously disrupt female reproductive hormones. Don't know if it was just a scare but you might want to check it out. Someone posted the link on here before Christmas but you can probably google it.

Bert Herring's free e-book about F5 is very helpful, suggesting ways to ease yourself in. Apparently many women do better with a slightly longer eating window, eg 18/6 rather than 19/5, or even gentler.

It didn't work for me but that was pre-JUDDD and my body now works very differently, since it acquired some sirtuins. Nowadays, I don't eat till dinner time on DDs but I do have skim milk in tea during the day, so maybe doesn't count as F5.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Sicchi there was a caution about this being better for men, as it can seriously disrupt female reproductive hormones. Don't know if it was just a scare but you might want to check it out. Someone posted the link on here before Christmas but you can probably google it.

Bert Herring's free e-book about F5 is very helpful, suggesting ways to ease yourself in. Apparently many women do better with a slightly longer eating window, eg 18/6 rather than 19/5, or even gentler.

It didn't work for me but that was pre-JUDDD and my body now works very differently, since it acquired some sirtuins. Nowadays, I don't eat till dinner time on DDs but I do have skim milk in tea during the day, so maybe doesn't count as F5.
This could be true, because my cycle is all over the place, but I have PCOS so it's never been regular. However, since juddding and semi fast 5ing it's been worse.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post

Ok, stupid question here-if you're done having kids, does it matter if your reproductive hormones get out of whack? Like does this actually hurt you in some way? I've seen this mentioned a few times in regards to the 5:2 plan as well.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Do a search on Des O'Connor, born in 1932, who has been a recording artist and TV personality in the UK since the 60s. He has eaten in a 5 hour window for ages and looks amazing.

from 2004 - Prince Charles follows the "Des Diet"
Charles follows Des diet | Mail Online
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, I'm still hoping to have a child/ children so this is slightly concerning to me. I'm thinking that messed up hormones can't be good even if you don't want more children, but I love JUDDD to much to stop. I think this is a concern with all IF plans.

Last edited by Carly; 01-31-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I'm going to be Fast 5-ing pretty soon for about a week. I'm having company stay starting on 2/3/13 and want to be able to eat dinners out, and make some good dinners. Plus my Mom will be making all manner of delicious things I want to eat.

I'm hoping for a small loss, but if I can just maintain I'll be content. The last thing I want is to go nuts and gain back some of this hard-lost weight. No going backwards please!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Well day 1 down and it really was quite different! I had hunger like crazy, when I finally broke my fast I thought I would never stop (I was just eating nuts, seeds and raisins), BUT......
when I made a big pot of mexican rice for dinner, I could only eat half! I was absolutly stuffed! I had a yogurt and watermelon a bit later, but compared to what I eat on a typical UD, this was much less. Also my sleep was so good Typically I have a bad sleep on DD nights, and I hate that!
Downsides are that you spend mid-morning to mid-afternoon dreaming about the taste of food also... I dearly miss my UD as I love to eat a range of food over the course of the day. Maybe that is why I am stalling?? I don't know, but I had to try something. We shall see how it goes. I takes the cheating out of it for me. I am a total sugar addict so I can't pick at work on this like I do on JUDDD. Hopefully if this gets me moving again, I can go back to juddd and enjoy the beautiful UD and calm DD's again. I will absolutly be maintaining on Juddd, I still believe it is the best plan around

As for females doing this, I too plan to have children, and honestly think that as long as you are healthy, happy, not too stressed, and it is fate, you will have them. As I am on the pill, my periods are regular, but my cramps have decreased since Juddd.

Thanks for all your insights, I will let you know how it goes as I cruise on
Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Well, I'm still hoping to have a child/ children so this is slightly concerning to me. I'm thinking that messed up hormones can't be good even if you don't want more children, but I love JUDDD to much to stop. I think this is a concern with all IF plans.
how exciting! do you have plans to do it soon or are you waiting until you have lost the weight for awhile? I plan to start trying in a year or less. The wedding is now 3 months away, just want to relax a bit after that, then who knows??
Old 01-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Soon I guess, with in the year, but for us of course it's not the usual way one gets pregnant. It is fairly expensive to get the sperm and get inseminated. So I don't want any extra issues from IF.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
there is a whole thread here on this plan

Fast 5 - Anybody want to give it a try?
makrida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICCHI View Post
I'll be back to judddd by then and hopefully at goal when I start trying, I just couldn't do F5 forever! Juddds a different story, but I suppose I would just eat normally if 'trying'. Thanks for the info though!

Carly, I wish you all the best and a bit more as it will be harder and expensive, you so deserve it
Thank you
This is one of the big reasons I wanted to lose the weight. I will be on bed rest probably by the 5th month due to a fused spine and severe arthritis, but being thin will give me the best chance to be up and about as long as possible. I'm not good at laying around all day. I get really bad shpilkies or ants in the pants.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymar View Post
Thanks, Carly,...I do see what you mean...and I don't want to maintain..I need to lose..so..I will want to continue the dd and ud..I am easily confused, but i have seen enough to know I will have to cut calories..I have been thinking that keeping an eating window might help me have better control on my ud's..I'm making progress, trying to tweak things to keep losing..
Hey Jaymar, You may want to try the 7 hour window. The reason is that you can still JUDDD, but it keeps your UD very controlled. In fact, I have found unless I go out, I don't get the full UD calories in ever and it is definitely a boost to the metabolism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I am maintaining at 1900 and 500, respectively. I don't understand it. That's 1200 a day and at 188, I surely would lose on that, right? Not sure what to do...I have a hard time keeping it lower than those numbers. I guess I've got to try harder.
Cindy, Did you follow Debra's thread about this same thing? You may want to lower your UD by about 100 and keep DD at 4-500. I have watched the JUDDDers for a while and it clicked while watching Carly, I went through a period of stalls and when I lowered my UD, instead of raising, noticed immediate improvement. My numbers are avg 950 per day and I never thought I would be able to stick with that, but your body does.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Very happy to hear this Carly!

Sicchi, you may do just as well on a bit larger window, say 6-7 hour? . As you can see by my post above, my control is much better with UD when I cut it off early. I never even make it to that UD number.

If I was doing a 5 hour window, I would be seriously in trouble on UD.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote