Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Need help and information.. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/795777-need-help-information.html)

Hdy2102 01-30-2013 06:43 AM

Need help and information..

Hey yall. I'm currently on Atkins and have been for a month. I've lost a total of 26lbs but I've hit a wall with the program. For two weeks I wasn't able to use the bathroom very much, my guts hurt, I felt spacey, energy was gone, burnt out on food choices, etc. I'm a picky eater, like extremely picky but I really wanted it to work with the plan but I don't think I continue on Atkins. Any suggestions, ideas, stories of experience close to mine while doing that diet? I'm thinking about joining JUDDD but not sure if I would need to do the induction phase since I'm on a diet now or what. Thanks!

Whitlin' 01-30-2013 07:31 AM

Hdy, congratulations on your weight loss. There is no reason to think in terms of induction for JUDDD. No foods are restricted on JUDDD, just calorie limits, so no reason not to go ahead and eat to avoid constipation, with fruits and veggies, or fiber-full carbs. Whatever food you feel is best for you is right for JUDDD. Dr. Johnson's book, The Alternate Day Diet, is a great resource, as are the stickied threads at the top of the forum. Best wishes!

mom23kids 01-30-2013 07:35 AM

:welcome: There is no induction phase with JUDDD-you just jump in :D There's tons of info in this section, as well on Dr. Johnson's website (google JUDDD and it's one of the first links to pop up).

With JUDDD there's no food restrictions of any kind and you can work it with any kind of eating style you prefer (vegetarian, whole foods, lc, picky eater etc :) ).

zipp2play 01-30-2013 07:36 AM

Juddd is much less restrictive than Atkins. You simply count calories. One day up , one day down! It is truly that simple!

Trigger828 01-30-2013 08:04 AM

Hi Hdy
I have questions also with JUDDD. seems like a great plan to eat our own foods and not be restrictive.

I looked into JUDDD and I thought there was 2 weeks of induction. drinking shakes or something. Can a person skip that and jump right in? I thought the induction turned on the SIRT1?

(thanks I have been asking about JUDDD also)

Hdy2102 01-30-2013 08:21 AM

Thank yall so much for responding. I'm definitely thinking about jumping ships, just makes me a little hesitant after I've trained my brain to only eat certain foods. I don't want to go back into binge mode.

KeirasMom 01-30-2013 08:21 AM

Other than using shakes and bars, there's no difference between "induction" and regular JUDDD. Many of us started out with real foods instead of shakes. That works fine as long as you're confident in your ability to accurately track calories. I weigh and measure everything if it's not already prepackaged.

It's the swing between high calories and low calories that activates the SIRTs, not what you consume.

Trigger828 01-30-2013 08:24 AM

oh, the swing up and down in calories per day activates the SIRT1
ok that easily clears that up.

no induction.

straight onto rotation. that is appealing.

hdy I am atkins also. binge mode scares me about switching also. I feel like since so restrictive if I jump ship will I be able to put those carbs in without going crazy?

Trigger828 01-30-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16228953)
Other than using shakes and bars, there's no difference between "induction" and regular JUDDD. Many of us started out with real foods instead of shakes. That works fine as long as you're confident in your ability to accurately track calories. I weigh and measure everything if it's not already prepackaged.

It's the swing between high calories and low calories that activates the SIRTs, not what you consume.

I don't do it as much but there are limits on atkins so I do have an ounce scale. 3 oz shrimp etc. I portion out so it really wouldn't be a huge stretch to just track cals.

what scares me is the carbs. I know UP day I can limit carbs and be sure I eat healthy. But reintroducing them is frightening in that will I go nutso :)
to gain back would be horrifying.

I know, my fear, but they seem so real to me.

KeirasMom 01-30-2013 08:35 AM

When I switched from Atkins, I took the weekend off and "carbed up." I ate whatever I wanted, including pizza and cupcakes. I gained about 3 pounds and then considered that my JUDDD start weight.

Others do JUDDD with low carb and do really well on it. It's all about what you want to do/eat. If you fear carbs will be an issue, there's no rule that says you HAVE to add them back in. It's entirely up to you.

Others have added carbs back in slowly and watched to see how they react. If something is a trigger, they know not to eat that again, at least for a while. There has been some real success with trying the same food out a few weeks later and it not causing any issues. Nancy (gotsomeold) comes to mind here.

Trigger828 01-30-2013 08:53 AM

wow that is great info.

your weight stats are amazing.

how long on JUDDD and how much did you lose on this plan only?

Hdy2102 01-30-2013 09:07 AM

Wow, that's great to know. I've added back bread, high fiber whole grain bread and haven't triggered wanting more starchy-high naughty carbs but I also want to continue to lose. Eight so I won't allow myself to get too carried away again.

deedee 01-30-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

what scares me is the carbs. I know UP day I can limit carbs and be sure I eat healthy. But reintroducing them is frightening in that will I go nutso
to gain back would be horrifying.
I was very low carb when I first started JUDDD and basically went nuts with the carbs as soon as I did (in my defense it was right around the holidays so harder to resist all the cakes and cookies!). I didn't gain at all, and have continued losing. It's slower than Atkins was, and I do have to limit my sugar intake for health reasons. It's much more enjoyable to have less restrictions.

JUDDD has been wonderful for me, I hope you find it is for you too!

Yennie 01-30-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hdy2102 (Post 16228655)
Hey yall. I'm currently on Atkins and have been for a month. I've lost a total of 26lbs but I've hit a wall with the program. For two weeks I wasn't able to use the bathroom very much, my guts hurt, I felt spacey, energy was gone, burnt out on food choices, etc. I'm a picky eater, like extremely picky but I really wanted it to work with the plan but I don't think I continue on Atkins. Any suggestions, ideas, stories of experience close to mine while doing that diet? I'm thinking about joining JUDDD but not sure if I would need to do the induction phase since I'm on a diet now or what. Thanks!

Welcome Hdy! I also jumped Atkins ship and switched to JUDDD. I'd lost a bit on Atkins and was having trouble getting into ketosis. My first few weeks on JUDDD the weight melted off (full disclosure: I also had the flu which made the DDs super easy) but now I've settled into a more steady weight loss. Overall I've lost almost 9 pounds this month. Others lose more slowly.

I also had the same questions when I started, everyone here is SO helpful in answering questions. I basically slowly reintroduced carbs, and try to eat healthier in general especially on my DDs. I don't want to waste those precious calories! But I've learned how to adjust my thinking to cals and not carbs. Although, as previously stated, there are plenty of JUDDD BUDDDs who do JUDDD with LC.

I believe the thought process behind the shakes & pre-packaged food, especially at first, is simply to ensure you're hitting your calorie goals. People tend to under-estimate what they're eating and its so important to have that gap in cals to induce expression of the SIRT gene. So by drinking prepackaged shakes and eating bars, you're ensured correct calorie counting. If you're confident in your ability to weigh, measure and calculate, no need for the "Frankenfood" :) I sometimes use shakes because they're easy but also have had DDs where I don't use anything pre-packaged.

Its great over here. Welcome!!!

Carly 01-30-2013 09:52 AM

The 2 week induction with JUDDD refers to the use of shakes and bars for DD, but is not necessary. Dr. J also says during induction you can start with 500 calorie DDs and work down to your actual DD number. I just started with my DD number from day 1, but some people are able to eat 500 calorie DDs and lose so some people don't have to drop down or not until after they have lost quite a bit.

I would recommend going to the JUDDD calculator and getting your UD/DD numbers and jumping in. I would highly suggest getting a food scale if you do not want to use bars and shakes (or other prepackaged food) for DDs. Measuring cups and spoons were a must for me as well.

KeirasMom 01-30-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger828 (Post 16229050)
wow that is great info.

your weight stats are amazing.

how long on JUDDD and how much did you lose on this plan only?

I've been on JUDDD for about 13 1/2 months and have lost 103 pounds just with JUDDD. I :heart: it here!

Trigger828 01-30-2013 10:14 AM

WOW. My jaw is hitting the ground! 103 lbs. in a tad over a year.

eating what you want one day within reason and limiting the next day.

no food restrictions on UP days but obviously staying toward healthier options.

any and all diet plans work. if you do them properly. but which plan can someone stay on long term? right? it is all about long term and maintenance.
I have alot of thinking to do.

thank you very much.

Hdy2102 01-30-2013 10:18 AM

Wow, yall are such an inspiration! Keep up the great work!

mom23kids 01-30-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger828 (Post 16229266)
WOW. My jaw is hitting the ground! 103 lbs. in a tad over a year.

eating what you want one day within reason and limiting the next day.

no food restrictions on UP days but obviously staying toward healthier options.

any and all diet plans work. if you do them properly. but which plan can someone stay on long term? right? it is all about long term and maintenance.
I have alot of thinking to do.

thank you very much.

This is exactly why I switched from lc to JUDDD-yeah I was losing weight on lc, but after just a few weeks I was already starting to resent the food restrictions. I realized that for me, there was just no way that I could eat that way for the rest of my life. JUDDD on the other hand is eating normal, with just some calorie restricting going on some of the time time. And when you get to maintenance you can either raise your DD calories, or you can switch to a 5:2 type of plan, which is just like JUDDD but with fewer DDs :)

Hdy2102 01-30-2013 01:14 PM

Mom23kids,is your picture taken in St. Joe?

I felt the same way, I was just eating the same foods day in and day out. I was losing weight but not enjoying it anymore.

Sammyann 01-30-2013 01:48 PM

:welcome:

I really got sick of eating the same foods on LC too. I really got to the point where I was starting to hate steak and eggs. I'm back to loving them now that I've been doing JUDDD.

hot-in-texas 01-30-2013 08:44 PM

Welcome! I have been JUDDDing since 1/11, but was on Atkins induction for one month before that. I have always enjoyed food. So, I really enjoyed certain aspects of Atkins like steaks and stuff, but I can have anything I could eat on Atkins over here too :-) but I can't have everything on Atkins. I love to have treats quite often. I've lost 9 pounds so far on JUDDD alone, and I've had cobbler, pizza, almond joys and regular coke. But it's actually encouraged me to eat healthier. I don't know how or why, but i am making healthier choices than i ever have. Losing weight on JUDDD may not be as fast, but it is the only plan that I think I could do for the long term, the only one I think I would have a chance to maintain in.

Trigger828 01-31-2013 03:01 AM

hot in texas.
maintain long term is key for me also. to find that plan that allows eating it all but with control. atkins is very severe plan. I don't know if I have about 30 more years of atkins in me lol

mom23kids 01-31-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hdy2102 (Post 16229595)
Mom23kids,is your picture taken in St. Joe?

I felt the same way, I was just eating the same foods day in and day out. I was losing weight but not enjoying it anymore.

I just got it from Google Images, but it's of Grand Haven :) We've been out there in the winter before and it's so pretty!