Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Enjoyed reading Kate Harrison's 5:2 e-book

It was an easy simple read, but I found her to be funny and motivating.

She watched the Horizon video on August 6th last year. Immediately she got interested in finding out more about Intermittent Fasting. She started the 5:2 diet on August 9th and wrote her book in November.

She refers to and quotes Dr. J and others. Does not go into lots of science, but does mention SIRT 1 gene. One thing I like is her inclusion of entries from her diary and also lots of tips on handling DDs. Recipes too.

She did switch to ADF to speed up weight loss. She is almost at goal weight now.

I downloaded the book to my Kindle and it was free because I have Prime.

The name of her book is "The 5:2 Diet Plan".

Anyone else read it?

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
It's on my to-read list
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I have only read 2 diet books ever- The Atkins Diet Revolution and The Alternate Day Diet. You may have convinced me to read this, but at the rate I'm going it won't happen till my next vacation which sadly isn't even planned.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
One motivation I got from reading it was the feeling that even if I can do two good DDs a week, my health will be preserved or continue to improve and I will lose. Even if the losing is slower than JUDDing, two days a week of calorie restriction at 500 calories will bring about slow weight loss.

The author lost 1 to 2 pounds per week doing 5:2. She noticed lots of improvements. One of them was that she tended to start eating healthier foods without even trying to. She just started wanting them.

It seems like she got that happy, calm feeling that I, too, feel on the restricted calorie days. And then, she started just naturally practicing portion control more easily on most regular days.

I think she lost 16 pounds in 4 months. That's a pound per week on average and she was pretty happy with it.

My mind set has really changed since I started JUDDing a little over a year ago. I rarely feel that rushed, panicky feeling like "I gotta get this weight off right now!" Slow going is ok. Losing a pound a week or even a half a pound in a week does not freak me out like it used to on other diets.

And, those weeks when I lose more, I feel elated. Heck, I feel elated if I just keep off the weight I've already lost. That's progress.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
1-2 a week! That's more than I'm losing fasting eod. Maybe I should look into that thing you call 5:2!! For one thing, I would probably not want to eat everything in sight on UD's simply because the next day I couldn't eat.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I'm holding out for Dr. Mosley's book. I also need to read Wheat Belly before I buy any more health or diet books.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Yam-Yam that is so awesome that you have been able to be patient about weight loss. I'm not far from goal and I'm as impatient as ever. It doesn't even make sense to me. In reality if I chose to be at goal at this weight I would be fine, but I did not gain patience. I wish I could say I would be fine if it took a year to lose the last 10# but I'd be lying.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
I alternate between Yam Yam and Carly's positions. I'm fine with slow progress as long as there's a good (preferably a fun) reason. For example, I'm very relaxed about pretty much maintaining this month, because I've been looser ... I think it is just my need for a break after 8 months. I also feel confident in JUDDD that I'll start losing again. But when I'm going all out, if I'm not seeing at least 1-2 lbs/wk average I do get impatient. I also try not to focus on how long it will take to get to goal, because then I will feel impatient ... although impatient seems to be working for Carly!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
I haven't read it, but I've read some articles that she's written about the subject. I'm in two minds about all this. On the one hand, I'm happy that so many people are discovering the benefits (although I think JUDDD is a lot better, not least because I think a set 500 cals is a blunt instrument, it wouldn't be low enough for me or high enough for some others, and I like the control of altering my percentages to suit my needs) and I'm pleased that I don't have to explain my eating habits and get a lecture on how silly and unhealthy they are.

HOWEVER, I'm a bit sick of people telling me how great fasting is like I've never heard of it. I feel like saying, "hey, I've been doing this for ages, no need to preach to me about it, in fact, I can tell you plenty you don't know yet - you're not even on the best system!". Ususally, I don't. But I do feel like it.

I miss being part of a bit of an underground club a little bit too. We are pioneers round here!!!
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Thanks Yam-Yam. I just downloaded it for £1.09, though I'm very happy with JUDDD. I just like to eat books - when they're within my calorie allowance.

Congratulations on your JUDDD calm NSV. Awesome!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm holding out for Dr. Mosley's book. I also need to read Wheat Belly before I buy any more health or diet books.
Can you get Wheat Belly at your local library? It's like one of the most popular books at mine right now
Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
1-2 a week! That's more than I'm losing fasting eod. Maybe I should look into that thing you call 5:2!! For one thing, I would probably not want to eat everything in sight on UD's simply because the next day I couldn't eat.
I did 5:2 last week for the first time and lost 1.5lbs after my second DD. I was expecting to either gain or maintain I'm sort of doing it this week too, but I threw in a couple potato days so this week is kind of a wacky mess
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
Can you get Wheat Belly at your local library? It's like one of the most popular books at mine right now
I'm not sure. I downloaded it to my Kindle because I knew I would reference it again and again.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I enjoyed Kate Harrison's book and think it would be useful for new JUDDDers.
Her diary experiences are helpful and witty and her approach is down to earth and realistic. She covers the essential maths of IF and weight-loss very simply but clearly. Not overly scientific but basically very sound. Better value than Mosley's book, in my opinion.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I did 5:2 last week for the first time and lost 1.5lbs after my second DD. I was expecting to either gain or maintain I'm sort of doing it this week too, but I threw in a couple potato days so this week is kind of a wacky mess
I don't know if this is very "sound" reasoning, but maybe for some of us slow losers the calorie deficit of eod is *too* low and causes stalls or gains. Perhaps by only fasting two days a week, the body *really* knows it's not starving and starts to let go of those stubborn lbs. I know, eventually, if you keep plugging along at zero to 200 calories eod, you will eventually start losing, but for those of us who are "challenged" to reach those (lower) numbers, 5:2 might be a blessing in disguise! I will make a decision after tomorrow's weigh in, and possibly after another DD rotation.

One question, Sara: Did you lose 1.5 lbs from your lowest weight before 5:2, or 1.5 lbs from the gain of 5 UD's? Sorry, not trying to be funny, really, but curious!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 02-04-2013 at 05:56 PM..
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
One motivation I got from reading it was the feeling that even if I can do two good DDs a week, my health will be preserved or continue to improve and I will lose. Even if the losing is slower than JUDDing, two days a week of calorie restriction at 500 calories will bring about slow weight loss.

The author lost 1 to 2 pounds per week doing 5:2. She noticed lots of improvements. One of them was that she tended to start eating healthier foods without even trying to. She just started wanting them.

It seems like she got that happy, calm feeling that I, too, feel on the restricted calorie days. And then, she started just naturally practicing portion control more easily on most regular days.

I think she lost 16 pounds in 4 months. That's a pound per week on average and she was pretty happy with it.

My mind set has really changed since I started JUDDing a little over a year ago. I rarely feel that rushed, panicky feeling like "I gotta get this weight off right now!" Slow going is ok. Losing a pound a week or even a half a pound in a week does not freak me out like it used to on other diets.

And, those weeks when I lose more, I feel elated. Heck, I feel elated if I just keep off the weight I've already lost. That's progress.
I'm a little surprised that someone was moved to write a book about their experience of losing 16 pounds in 4 months. (I haven't read the book, so perhaps I'm misrepresenting this.) I appreciate that weight loss can be a struggle for anyone, but, speaking for myself, it was an entirely different experience to be 16 pounds above my ideal weight than to be over 100 pounds over my ideal weight. Again, speaking just for myself, being 16 pounds overweight was a slight inconvenience, but being over 100 pounds overweight was a misery, and I don't think I'd be moved to write a book about getting past an inconvenience.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Do you have a Costco near you? They had WB at ours for a good price.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #18

I have it on my Kindle, and am about a third of the way through it.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Kate Harrison did ADF, not 5:2 when she wanted to speed up her weight loss.
QED!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
Established

Quote:
I don't know if this is very "sound" reasoning, but maybe for some of us slow losers the calorie deficit of eod is *too* low and causes stalls or gains. Perhaps by only fasting two days a week, the body *really* knows it's not starving and starts to let go of those stubborn lbs. I know, eventually, if you keep plugging along at zero to 200 calories eod, you will eventually start losing, but for those of us who are "challenged" to reach those (lower) numbers, 5:2 might be a blessing in disguise! I will make a decision after tomorrow's weigh in, and possibly after another DD rotation.

One question, Sara: Did you lose 1.5 lbs from your lowest weight before 5:2, or 1.5 lbs from the gain of 5 UD's? Sorry, not trying to be funny, really, but curious!
If i remember correctly it was 1.5 new pounds, but let me check-i think i recorded it in the thread in the 'other plans' section have to charge my phone battery first though-it's booting me off right now lol.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crazynanc
Stats: 148/144/113
WOE: JUDDD/FastFive/5:2
Start Date: November 2011
I just read it on your recommendation!

I recently started the 5:2 diet after a month off from JUDDD.

Complete fasts on my 2 fast days.
And no calorie counting on my feast days (well, after the first week)

I looooooove JUDDD and still consider this JUDDDing (heehee) just less intensive. The problem with JUDDD was that weekends were impossible for me keep to and then I said, well I screwed up, and then there went the next week.

With the 2 fast days (tues and thurs) by Sun I'm actually looking forward to a fast day and on mondays I have to almost force myself to eat a good amount so that I can fast completely on Tuesdays.

I had lost 10 lbs on JUDDD then gained it all back when I stopped. I'm down 4 pounds now doing 5:2 after two weeks. hopefully the complete fasting helps me stick to it, then I'll add a third day, then back to every other day hopefully.
crazynanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Thanks Yam-Yam. I just downloaded it for £1.09, though I'm very happy with JUDDD. I just like to eat books - when they're within my calorie allowance.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynanc View Post
I just read it on your recommendation!

I recently started the 5:2 diet after a month off from JUDDD.

Complete fasts on my 2 fast days.
And no calorie counting on my feast days (well, after the first week)

I looooooove JUDDD and still consider this JUDDDing (heehee) just less intensive. The problem with JUDDD was that weekends were impossible for me keep to and then I said, well I screwed up, and then there went the next week.

With the 2 fast days (tues and thurs) by Sun I'm actually looking forward to a fast day and on mondays I have to almost force myself to eat a good amount so that I can fast completely on Tuesdays.

I had lost 10 lbs on JUDDD then gained it all back when I stopped. I'm down 4 pounds now doing 5:2 after two weeks. hopefully the complete fasting helps me stick to it, then I'll add a third day, then back to every other day hopefully.
While reading these posts I was wondering if there was any way to incorporate the two? I think I'm one who's body gets used to what I'm doing. Wait, while typing this, I guess doing JUDDD one month, then 5:2 the next and alternate might work. But - goodness I do alot of thinking whilst I'm typing - I was losing well on my two determined JUDDD attempts in the past.

Pardon my typing/thinking. I don't have JUDDD fatigue but it's nice to know there's quite a few variations on IF'ing to try if/when it does.

Carry on ...

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

I simply had diet fatigue, I think. I feel more committed now after 5 days off. However, I do know that this is an alternative if eod gets too intense again.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Vanilla, if it aint broke ..........
Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
What is ADF?
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
What is ADF?
I guessed Alternate Day Fasting but don't really know.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I guessed Alternate Day Fasting but don't really know.
Yup.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

I just realized today that I've read several of Kate Harrison's books. She's a great writer.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
going to check out for kindle with prime when I get home from work. I need a boost in the incentive department.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
can u download it to your laptop havent got a kindle and could you post the url please?
soon is offline   Reply With Quote