Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Enjoyed reading Kate Harrison's 5:2 e-book (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/795725-enjoyed-reading-kate-harrisons-5-2-e-book.html)

Yam-Yam 01-29-2013 01:52 PM

Enjoyed reading Kate Harrison's 5:2 e-book
 
It was an easy simple read, but I found her to be funny and motivating.

She watched the Horizon video on August 6th last year. Immediately she got interested in finding out more about Intermittent Fasting. She started the 5:2 diet on August 9th and wrote her book in November.

She refers to and quotes Dr. J and others. Does not go into lots of science, but does mention SIRT 1 gene. One thing I like is her inclusion of entries from her diary and also lots of tips on handling DDs. Recipes too.

She did switch to ADF to speed up weight loss. She is almost at goal weight now.

I downloaded the book to my Kindle and it was free because I have Prime.

The name of her book is "The 5:2 Diet Plan".

Anyone else read it?

mom23kids 01-29-2013 02:08 PM

It's on my to-read list :)

Carly 01-29-2013 02:12 PM

I have only read 2 diet books ever- The Atkins Diet Revolution and The Alternate Day Diet. You may have convinced me to read this, but at the rate I'm going it won't happen till my next vacation which sadly isn't even planned.

Yam-Yam 01-29-2013 03:09 PM

One motivation I got from reading it was the feeling that even if I can do two good DDs a week, my health will be preserved or continue to improve and I will lose. Even if the losing is slower than JUDDing, two days a week of calorie restriction at 500 calories will bring about slow weight loss.

The author lost 1 to 2 pounds per week doing 5:2. She noticed lots of improvements. One of them was that she tended to start eating healthier foods without even trying to. She just started wanting them.

It seems like she got that happy, calm feeling that I, too, feel on the restricted calorie days. And then, she started just naturally practicing portion control more easily on most regular days.

I think she lost 16 pounds in 4 months. That's a pound per week on average and she was pretty happy with it.

My mind set has really changed since I started JUDDing a little over a year ago. I rarely feel that rushed, panicky feeling like "I gotta get this weight off right now!" Slow going is ok. Losing a pound a week or even a half a pound in a week does not freak me out like it used to on other diets.

And, those weeks when I lose more, I feel elated. Heck, I feel elated if I just keep off the weight I've already lost. :) That's progress.

Librarygirl 01-29-2013 04:50 PM

1-2 a week! That's more than I'm losing fasting eod. :D Maybe I should look into that thing you call 5:2!! For one thing, I would probably not want to eat everything in sight on UD's simply because the next day I couldn't eat.

KeirasMom 01-29-2013 04:56 PM

I'm holding out for Dr. Mosley's book. I also need to read Wheat Belly before I buy any more health or diet books. :D

Carly 01-29-2013 04:57 PM

Yam-Yam that is so awesome that you have been able to be patient about weight loss. I'm not far from goal and I'm as impatient as ever. It doesn't even make sense to me. In reality if I chose to be at goal at this weight I would be fine, but I did not gain patience. I wish I could say I would be fine if it took a year to lose the last 10# but I'd be lying.

calichris 01-29-2013 09:38 PM

I alternate between Yam Yam and Carly's positions. I'm fine with slow progress as long as there's a good (preferably a fun) reason. For example, I'm very relaxed about pretty much maintaining this month, because I've been looser ... I think it is just my need for a break after 8 months. I also feel confident in JUDDD that I'll start losing again. But when I'm going all out, if I'm not seeing at least 1-2 lbs/wk average I do get impatient. I also try not to focus on how long it will take to get to goal, because then I will feel impatient ... although impatient seems to be working for Carly! :D

casmira 01-30-2013 12:13 AM

I haven't read it, but I've read some articles that she's written about the subject. I'm in two minds about all this. On the one hand, I'm happy that so many people are discovering the benefits (although I think JUDDD is a lot better, not least because I think a set 500 cals is a blunt instrument, it wouldn't be low enough for me or high enough for some others, and I like the control of altering my percentages to suit my needs) and I'm pleased that I don't have to explain my eating habits and get a lecture on how silly and unhealthy they are.

HOWEVER, I'm a bit sick of people telling me how great fasting is like I've never heard of it. I feel like saying, "hey, I've been doing this for ages, no need to preach to me about it, in fact, I can tell you plenty you don't know yet - you're not even on the best system!". Ususally, I don't. But I do feel like it.

I miss being part of a bit of an underground club a little bit too. We are pioneers round here!!!

Flossyliz 01-30-2013 01:43 PM

Thanks Yam-Yam. I just downloaded it for 1.09, though I'm very happy with JUDDD. I just like to eat books - when they're within my calorie allowance.

Congratulations on your JUDDD calm NSV. Awesome! :high5:

mom23kids 01-30-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16227743)
I'm holding out for Dr. Mosley's book. I also need to read Wheat Belly before I buy any more health or diet books. :D

Can you get Wheat Belly at your local library? It's like one of the most popular books at mine right now :D

mom23kids 01-30-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16227726)
1-2 a week! That's more than I'm losing fasting eod. :D Maybe I should look into that thing you call 5:2!! For one thing, I would probably not want to eat everything in sight on UD's simply because the next day I couldn't eat.

I did 5:2 last week for the first time and lost 1.5lbs after my second DD. I was expecting to either gain or maintain :confused: :D I'm sort of doing it this week too, but I threw in a couple potato days so this week is kind of a wacky mess :laugh:

KeirasMom 01-30-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16229698)
Can you get Wheat Belly at your local library? It's like one of the most popular books at mine right now :D

I'm not sure. I downloaded it to my Kindle because I knew I would reference it again and again.

Flossyliz 02-04-2013 05:29 PM

I enjoyed Kate Harrison's book and think it would be useful for new JUDDDers.
Her diary experiences are helpful and witty and her approach is down to earth and realistic. She covers the essential maths of IF and weight-loss very simply but clearly. Not overly scientific but basically very sound. Better value than Mosley's book, in my opinion.

Librarygirl 02-04-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16229702)
I did 5:2 last week for the first time and lost 1.5lbs after my second DD. I was expecting to either gain or maintain :confused: :D I'm sort of doing it this week too, but I threw in a couple potato days so this week is kind of a wacky mess :laugh:

I don't know if this is very "sound" reasoning, but maybe for some of us slow losers the calorie deficit of eod is *too* low and causes stalls or gains.:dunno: Perhaps by only fasting two days a week, the body *really* knows it's not starving and starts to let go of those stubborn lbs. I know, eventually, if you keep plugging along at zero to 200 calories eod, you will eventually start losing, but for those of us who are "challenged" to reach those (lower) numbers, 5:2 might be a blessing in disguise! I will make a decision after tomorrow's weigh in, and possibly after another DD rotation. :)

One question, Sara: Did you lose 1.5 lbs from your lowest weight before 5:2, or 1.5 lbs from the gain of 5 UD's? :D Sorry, not trying to be funny, really, but curious!

svenskamae 02-04-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 16227458)
One motivation I got from reading it was the feeling that even if I can do two good DDs a week, my health will be preserved or continue to improve and I will lose. Even if the losing is slower than JUDDing, two days a week of calorie restriction at 500 calories will bring about slow weight loss.

The author lost 1 to 2 pounds per week doing 5:2. She noticed lots of improvements. One of them was that she tended to start eating healthier foods without even trying to. She just started wanting them.

It seems like she got that happy, calm feeling that I, too, feel on the restricted calorie days. And then, she started just naturally practicing portion control more easily on most regular days.

I think she lost 16 pounds in 4 months. That's a pound per week on average and she was pretty happy with it.

My mind set has really changed since I started JUDDing a little over a year ago. I rarely feel that rushed, panicky feeling like "I gotta get this weight off right now!" Slow going is ok. Losing a pound a week or even a half a pound in a week does not freak me out like it used to on other diets.

And, those weeks when I lose more, I feel elated. Heck, I feel elated if I just keep off the weight I've already lost. :) That's progress.

I'm a little surprised that someone was moved to write a book about their experience of losing 16 pounds in 4 months. (I haven't read the book, so perhaps I'm misrepresenting this.) I appreciate that weight loss can be a struggle for anyone, but, speaking for myself, it was an entirely different experience to be 16 pounds above my ideal weight than to be over 100 pounds over my ideal weight. Again, speaking just for myself, being 16 pounds overweight was a slight inconvenience, but being over 100 pounds overweight was a misery, and I don't think I'd be moved to write a book about getting past an inconvenience. :dunno:

Seabreezes 02-04-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16227743)
I'm holding out for Dr. Mosley's book. I also need to read Wheat Belly before I buy any more health or diet books. :D

Do you have a Costco near you? They had WB at ours for a good price.

KeirasMom 02-05-2013 06:26 AM

I have it on my Kindle, and am about a third of the way through it.

Flossyliz 02-05-2013 06:26 AM

Kate Harrison did ADF, not 5:2 when she wanted to speed up her weight loss.
QED!

mom23kids 02-05-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16239864)
I don't know if this is very "sound" reasoning, but maybe for some of us slow losers the calorie deficit of eod is *too* low and causes stalls or gains.:dunno: Perhaps by only fasting two days a week, the body *really* knows it's not starving and starts to let go of those stubborn lbs. I know, eventually, if you keep plugging along at zero to 200 calories eod, you will eventually start losing, but for those of us who are "challenged" to reach those (lower) numbers, 5:2 might be a blessing in disguise! I will make a decision after tomorrow's weigh in, and possibly after another DD rotation. :)

One question, Sara: Did you lose 1.5 lbs from your lowest weight before 5:2, or 1.5 lbs from the gain of 5 UD's? :D Sorry, not trying to be funny, really, but curious!

If i remember correctly it was 1.5 new pounds, but let me check-i think i recorded it in the thread in the 'other plans' section :) have to charge my phone battery first though-it's booting me off right now lol.

crazynanc 02-05-2013 10:10 AM

I just read it on your recommendation!

I recently started the 5:2 diet after a month off from JUDDD.

Complete fasts on my 2 fast days.
And no calorie counting on my feast days (well, after the first week)

I looooooove JUDDD and still consider this JUDDDing (heehee) just less intensive. The problem with JUDDD was that weekends were impossible for me keep to and then I said, well I screwed up, and then there went the next week.

With the 2 fast days (tues and thurs) by Sun I'm actually looking forward to a fast day and on mondays I have to almost force myself to eat a good amount so that I can fast completely on Tuesdays.

I had lost 10 lbs on JUDDD then gained it all back when I stopped. I'm down 4 pounds now doing 5:2 after two weeks. hopefully the complete fasting helps me stick to it, then I'll add a third day, then back to every other day hopefully.

vanilla_latte 02-05-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flossyliz (Post 16229675)
Thanks Yam-Yam. I just downloaded it for 1.09, though I'm very happy with JUDDD. I just like to eat books - when they're within my calorie allowance.

:hyst:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16239864)
I don't know if this is very "sound" reasoning, but maybe for some of us slow losers the calorie deficit of eod is *too* low and causes stalls or gains.:dunno: Perhaps by only fasting two days a week, the body *really* knows it's not starving and starts to let go of those stubborn lbs. I know, eventually, if you keep plugging along at zero to 200 calories eod, you will eventually start losing, but for those of us who are "challenged" to reach those (lower) numbers, 5:2 might be a blessing in disguise! I will make a decision after tomorrow's weigh in, and possibly after another DD rotation. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazynanc (Post 16240993)
I just read it on your recommendation!

I recently started the 5:2 diet after a month off from JUDDD.

Complete fasts on my 2 fast days.
And no calorie counting on my feast days (well, after the first week)

I looooooove JUDDD and still consider this JUDDDing (heehee) just less intensive. The problem with JUDDD was that weekends were impossible for me keep to and then I said, well I screwed up, and then there went the next week.

With the 2 fast days (tues and thurs) by Sun I'm actually looking forward to a fast day and on mondays I have to almost force myself to eat a good amount so that I can fast completely on Tuesdays.

I had lost 10 lbs on JUDDD then gained it all back when I stopped. I'm down 4 pounds now doing 5:2 after two weeks. hopefully the complete fasting helps me stick to it, then I'll add a third day, then back to every other day hopefully.

While reading these posts I was wondering if there was any way to incorporate the two? I think I'm one who's body gets used to what I'm doing. Wait, while typing this, I guess doing JUDDD one month, then 5:2 the next and alternate might work. But - goodness I do alot of thinking whilst I'm typing - I was losing well on my two determined JUDDD attempts in the past.

Pardon my typing/thinking. I don't have JUDDD fatigue but it's nice to know there's quite a few variations on IF'ing to try if/when it does.

Carry on ... :laugh:

Librarygirl 02-05-2013 11:24 AM

I simply had diet fatigue, I think. I feel more committed now after 5 days off. However, I do know that this is an alternative if eod gets too intense again. :)

Flossyliz 02-05-2013 11:47 AM

Vanilla, if it aint broke ..........

leonak 02-05-2013 02:13 PM

What is ADF?

adillenal 02-05-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonak (Post 16241619)
What is ADF?

I guessed Alternate Day Fasting but don't really know.

KeirasMom 02-05-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 16241620)
I guessed Alternate Day Fasting but don't really know.

Yup.

Librarygirl 02-05-2013 04:53 PM

I just realized today that I've read several of Kate Harrison's books. :D She's a great writer.

b_lou_who 02-06-2013 07:43 AM

going to check out for kindle with prime when I get home from work. I need a boost in the incentive department.

soon 02-06-2013 07:48 AM

can u download it to your laptop havent got a kindle and could you post the url please?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:54 AM.