Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lychee
Stats: 140/119/95
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 2013
FEBRUARY KICK-IT-UP-A-NOTCH CHALLENGE

I'm relatively new to all this, but I thought it might be fun to do a challenge in the month of February to kick it up just a notch, to challenge ourselves to stick to a few things that we set out for ourselves, be it exercise, sticking to DD calories, making better food choices, whatever your priorities are. I know part of the beauty of JUDDD is how forgiving it is, but I still want to give it my best effort, especially while I'm still excited. I also am going to have a tough month ahead because I have to move out of my place where I've lived for 7+ years by the end of the month, I have two small kids, and rents have gone through the roof in my area. I'm not looking forward to it, and I know it's going to compromise my workouts and my sleep, staying up late to hunt for places online and then packing everything up. Ugh. I'm determined to come out of this month leaner and happier though, even if I'm going to be paying more rent.

Here's my February priority list (which I invite you to make also and post progress updates to as often as you'd like in this thread):

1. Stick to strict rotations - [I was toying with trying to have some kind of rotation where every Friday is a DD, because I have to weigh in on Saturdays for a weightlosswars.com competition, but now I figure better to just weigh in after an up day every other week and stick to straight rotations, because a big part of what made this work well for me was knowing that it's always going to be up-down-up-down to keep me on track, satisfied and away from binges. MDs don't work for me.]

2. <400 calorie down days - [This is still a bit hard for me at times and I have to be vigilant not to inhale 100 calories here or there before my meal time, because I usually allocate all my calories to one big meal, often with shirataki noodles these days.]

3. Reserve all treat foods to one up day with a limited eating window (3-4 hours?) on the weekend - [This is about peanut butter, dark chocolate and other calorie dense foods. I can have them, just have them only on that day and within a limited time. Maybe this could also be sushi or hummus takeout on occasion as a treat.]

4. Drink water. - [I've completely not been paying attention to this and often don't drink nearly enough, I think.]

I'll probably start posting my progress on these points starting right away even though it's not February yet, just to get warmed up.

What do you want to focus on for February?
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
My big goal in February is to hit goal I've got 7.5lbs to go and I think I can do it, or at least get really close. Then, the real challenge begins, as I figure out how to maintain and also start exercising
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
I'm joining this challenge. I haven't exercised, besides very limited walking, in more than a year.
1. Go on 2 15 minute walks during my breaks at work every day.
2. Start 30 day shred this week.
3. May add this one later.
4. Adhere strictly to DD calories.

Great idea Lychee!
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tekla
Stats: 201/181.6/145
Start Date: 1/21/13
I'm in. I just started JUDDD last week so I am still flying high with excitement. I figure by the middle of Feb I will have settled into a more typical routine. I want to stay as motivated as possible.

I'd like to drop 10# in Feb. (it's a short month so that may be a bit much to hope for but gotta at least have a goal right)

Excercise 3 times a week (any form will do as long as it is at least 30 minutes)

And as always drink much more water.
tekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
I'm in!! I need to set some goals and try to stick with them! I've been JUDDDing again since Jan 12th. Trying to get back into the rotation rhythm and getting used to DD again. I have not been doing it LC.

Goal 1 - Do at least 3 LC UD per week. (My DD are typically semi low carb so will leave that as is. Although I may have to change up what I'm eating if I'm going to meet goal 2.)

Goal 2 - Keep DD to 500 or LESS! (I have been ranging from 500-650 on DD. I lost pretty well the first week but 2nd week not so much, mostly backing and forthing.)

Goal 3 - Start an exercise routine. (I have a biggest loser dvd that I really like. I think I can do the cardio on up days and the strength on down days. I also have walk away the pounds good for DD and an elliptical good for UD. No excuse! At least I have options!)

Natasha

BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all so much for joining. I want to acknowledge all of you. I hope it was clear that I invite you to select what are the goals that *you* want to pursue, not necessarily follow in what I was thinking for myself. Also, we may need to add or subtract as we go along. I have a few ideas myself....

mom23kids - I think that's totally doable, and you never know what you can accomplish unless you try. If it ends up being 6-8 weeks, that would still be awesome. (I don't know how much whoosh you may still have left in you...)

hot-in-texas - So great to try to walk more. Beyond the burn you get from that, it helps change your mindset and give you fresh air and just more energy to get stuff done!

tek - I'd love to drop 10# as well....

natasha - I have the same issue with DDs...

I'm going to have to reformulate mine, so just to recap:

1. strict rotations
2. >400 cal DDs
3. raw food UDs except for some flex on weekend UDs with limited eating window
4. drink water
5. no peanut butter or chocolate - it's just not helping me in any way.

I spent today for the first time looking at places to move to, and it's so stressful. I feel like we won't find a place, my husband will want to move somewhere else, which I don't want, and if we do find a place we like, there will be five more "qualified" tenant applicants ahead of us that don't have kids. (I quit my fancy law firm attorney job for a while to stay with the kids, but that's not helping at the moment.)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tekla
Stats: 201/181.6/145
Start Date: 1/21/13
Lychee- Hang tough! Try and keep positive. I would think a tenant with kids would be a sign of possibly more stability. You know, someone who would like to put down a few roots and stay awhile. Guess I'm a nut. Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys.
tekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
We will be visiting with relatives the second half of the month, so my goal is to stick to cals for both UD and DD, wait until at least 2 for DD eating and eat in a 2 hour window on DD. The two hour window of 2-4 is how I started out after reading that Dr. Krista A. Varady (the Chicago researcher in Eat, Fast, and Live Longer) recommended a 2 hour window for her subjects. I'd like to be a bit under goal when I leave as I'm sure to come back a bit up from that - not that it matters as a few rotations should get me back on track. And I'm trying to keep in mind that in December, despite all of the treats I allowed myself, I was up .2 pound.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Lychee, good luck with your house hunting and congratulations on your determination to stay on JUDDD plan while you're so unsettled.

I'm starting February with two weekends away - not ideal!
So my main goal is to stay within my 300 and 1500 cal limits whenever possible, as I know they work like magic for me.

I'd love to reach my final goal of 126lbs, if only as a quick bounce.
However, I've only tomorrow's UD left to reach my November/December/January recurring goal of 130.

Unless I've had a specially magic DD today, of course!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shpongle
Stats: 5'7 - 202/200.4 :-( /140 Age : 19
Start Date: Re-start May 2014
I'd also like to join this challenge, please!

My February Goals
Goal #1 Strict rotations ( most important goal) no potato hacks etc..

Goal #2 14 hours of Callanetics and take measurements

Goal #3 One treat day per week ( weekend UD)

Goal #4 Lose 7lbs!!

Although I lost weight this month, I wasn't making very good food choices so in February I'd like to start eating more fruit & veg and less junk.
Shpongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lil Donna
Stats: 165.2 (highest) 150.2 (11/30/13)
WOE: LC
Start Date: Low carb started again on 11/14/13
I'm in. My birthday is the 28th and that always motivates me plus I'm going on a cruise in 42 days.

1. Get off the maintain train and start losing!!!
2. Do Shred on UD's, walk on DD's
3. Keep UD's under control (find the foods that work)

LET'S GET THIS WEIGHT OFF NOW!!!

Need these 20 lbs gone!
Lil Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Lychee, that's a good idea about more walking. Good luck on your home search. Let us know when you find something.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:04 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Thanks, I'd like to join, too.

I don't have much control over how much weight I lose, but I do control my behavior, so I'm setting strictly behavioral goals.

1) Keep DDs as low as possible. Yesterday I had an under-200 calorie fluids day, and it finally broke a 3+ weeks stall. So I'm going to try to do a month of tea with 1 T. cream/half-and-half and water with lemon down days. I seem to need to shake things up to keep losing, so that's my latest shake.

2) I'd love to declare an aerobic or resistence training exercise goal, but lately exercising seems to prevent weight loss for me. So I'll just keep walking to and from work and do some stretching/balance exercises this month.

3) Do NOT begin my up days at 1 minute past midnight. Go to bed hungry on DDs and don't eat until I'm up for the day on UD.

4) Track calories every day. Stay at or below 1800 calories on up days. Continue to eat low carb/moderate protein.

5) Don't cave and do medium days for social reasons. My friends aren't going to stop being my friends because I chose to have only a diet soda or coffee when they were eating a meal.

I really appreciate the accountability and support of challenges, so thanks for starting this one. And February's a short month, so I hope I can stick with all those goals, all month.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone. Challenge starts tomorrow. Are you ready? Yesterday was terrible for me. I struggle with binge eating and I'd been doing better on JUDDD but the whole week was no good and instead of just getting back on to strict rotations I had it in my head that I should have several DDs to catch up or something. This is just not a good idea for me. So, today will be a DD and at 350ish calories with no stray calories. And tomorrow will be an up day. And so on. Strict rotations ate absolutely what make this work for me and if I try to deprive myself for several days, it just falls apart for me.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
I would like to join also - struggling with motivation since December, although thanks to JUDDD I am only up c. 2 -3 pounds despite Christmas etc and very few strict DDs!

My goals are:

Use new gym membership 3 times a week
3 <500 cal DDs each week
Keep LC except once a week treat

Thanks!
Dee
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I think I'm doing well on the first day of February. I had a 100 calorie all fluids DD, and I am definitely going to wait until I get up on Saturday morning to start my UD. I'm meeting friends at the concert rather than for dinner so I can avoid getting out of rotation. And I feel really good. So the challenge is starting out well for me.

How are the rest of you doing?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

1 strict rotations - check
2 <400 cal DD - check
3 raw food UDs - NA
4 water - pretty good, and lots of unsweetened tea
5 no pb or chocolate - check

I felt crappy today from the refined carbs I ate yesterday. But today I just had water and green tea. And worked out. The whole last week was just off, but I can recover quickly, I know it.

I did get some great news, namely, I don't have to move just yet. My current landlord is extending my lease for another sux months at the same rent. Which is awesome bc market rate for our place is about $800 more than we pay. So every month we can stay put helps us save a lot of money.

Tomorrow is my husband's birthday. I baked a cake (vegan red velvet) but I think even though it's an up day, I don't think I'll have more than a taste to see how it came out. Refined carbs just kill me. I can eat fruit all day and feel great but white flour is just evil for me. I plan on eating a bunch of oranges since I won't be at home wherei could have my usual stuff.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations on meeting your goals, and on the good news about not having to move yet!

Good for you for listening to your body and mostly avoiding the cake, if you know refined carbs make you feel bad. The longer I go without eating sweeteners, the more I can taste and savor the sweetness of fruits, vegetables, and cream, while things like cake just taste cloyingly sweet to me. I hope you enjoy some lovely, juicy, fragrant, delicious, and refreshing oranges.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I was down a pound this morning after my 100 calorie DD yesterday. So far, so good!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
1 strict rotations - check
2 <400 cal DD - check
3 raw food UDs - NA
4 water - pretty good, and lots of unsweetened tea
5 no pb or chocolate - check

I felt crappy today from the refined carbs I ate yesterday. But today I just had water and green tea. And worked out. The whole last week was just off, but I can recover quickly, I know it.

I did get some great news, namely, I don't have to move just yet. My current landlord is extending my lease for another sux months at the same rent. Which is awesome bc market rate for our place is about $800 more than we pay. So every month we can stay put helps us save a lot of money.

Tomorrow is my husband's birthday. I baked a cake (vegan red velvet) but I think even though it's an up day, I don't think I'll have more than a taste to see how it came out. Refined carbs just kill me. I can eat fruit all day and feel great but white flour is just evil for me. I plan on eating a bunch of oranges since I won't be at home wherei could have my usual stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I was down a pound this morning after my 100 calorie DD yesterday. So far, so good!
Good going ladies!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

OMG. Bombed completely today. At least it was my weekend up day I guess? I ate enough for the whole week I think. Ugh.
Tomorrow will be water water water and then let's get back on the clean up days, yes? Whew.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
My Feb goals are to:
1) Stick with the rotation and keep DDs under 440
2) Try to run at least 3 days a week (ditching this dang cough would help)
3) Try to make healthier UD choices. Just cuz I *can* eat cake doeant mean I should
Thanks for this!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
OMG. Bombed completely today. At least it was my weekend up day I guess? I ate enough for the whole week I think. Ugh.
Tomorrow will be water water water and then let's get back on the clean up days, yes? Whew.
Tomorrow is another day, as Scarlett O'Hara would say, and I hope your Sunday goes better. Lots of water and eating clean sounds like a good way to get back on track.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Ugh. How's everyone else doing? I fell in a ditch and couldn't get out and was just eating and eating. sigh. Gained back those 15 pounds I'm sure.
I'm going to try starting with the up day instead of the down day. Also I'm attempting a juice fast incorporating JUDDD. reason for this is that my brother in law is trying to juice to help him with his cancer that is not responding to normal chemo meds. He has no other support. I'm very inspired and want to do it with him.
I know I have a lot of cleansing to do also. My baby is one year old almost, but I ate like crap when I was pregnant. Tons of grains and heavy starches. Everything that normally made me feel good and stay lean made me nauseous when I was pregnant.
I have my juice ready to go for tomorrow to have a juicy up day. I really hope I can turn this around. I know it just takes me two weeks to get back to feeling somewhat lean, reasonably presentable, fitting into clothes well enough... And who knows if I could just stay on track for more than two weeks?!? But this back and forth is making me crazy. Whatnots wrong with me?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Aww Lychee sorry for that set back. Jump right back in! Juddd is forgiving!

I have done a couple of LC UD's, and this week am attempting to have lower than 500 cal down days. I did that successfully today with about 410 cal DD. Wasn't too terribly hungry either. No exercise routine yet as DH has been home for a week. I'd rather start fresh on a Monday and when he's not home as the place I can do it is in the LR, or I could do my elliptical which is in the back...Maybe I'll do it tomorrow!

Good luck all!!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WantToBeSlim
Stats: 219.25/174/147
Start Date: October 1st 2012
I'm a little late... so for the rest of February I would like to:

1) Stick to my up day calorie allowance and not keep going way over. If I do go over then no more than 100 calories max.

2) Stick to my down day calories exactly or have less. I've never really gone that much over on down days, I seem to do better on down days than ups but when I do go over it tends to be by about 50 ish calories. I would like to stick to around 400 or below.

3) Start doing some physical activity. I do 0 exercise and don't even walk because I drive everywhere. I am not planning to become a fitness fanatic so even if it's just walking to places rather than always using the car then to me it's a start.

Start weight 219.25 lb - UK size 22/24
Current weight 174 lb - UK size 16/18
Goal weight 147 lb - UK size 14

Last edited by WantToBeSlim; 02-11-2013 at 04:59 PM..
WantToBeSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Whew. I'm back on track. So I'm juice fasting in a JUDDD manner. Which sounds kind of wacky, but it's actually working really well for me. I find I'm hardly thinking about food which was a surprise for me. I'm always thinking about what I can eat next, what I've eaten, how much I can still eat, etc. now the only difficulty is finding the time to juice that's close enough to when I'll be drinking it. Just finished day three and am feeling great. Also juice fasting the down days feel less different from the up days. Even though I do have lots more on up days, for some reason it feels less up-and-down-y. I feel much less puffy already but not back to leanness I just recently got to. I want to just finish this time. Get to goal and be done without bouncing up and down fifteen plus pounds. Maybe reduce the bounce to five pounds.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

....oops. Actually finished fourth day just now.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I'm doing great!!!

I'm doing 400 cal down days with no problems what so ever!

I'm getting exercise by walking on my breaks at work for now. I did about an hour of yard work today. No elliptical yet...

I have had a couple of LC UD so far but will try to do better! I do enjoy carbs.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WantToBeSlim
Stats: 219.25/174/147
Start Date: October 1st 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToBeSlim View Post
1) Stick to my up day calorie allowance and not keep going way over. If I do go over then no more than 100 calories max.
I stuck to this from the 10th until the 16th, then on the 17th went over by nearly 200. I did it again on my next up day on the 19th and had 400+ over (can't say exactly because the cake did not have any nutrional info on the pack).

Quote:
2) Stick to my down day calories exactly or have less. I've never really gone that much over on down days, I seem to do better on down days than ups but when I do go over it tends to be by about 50 ish calories. I would like to stick to around 400 or below.
Done absolutely fine with this so far. Did end up 47 over on the 12th but other than that I have stuck to it.

Quote:
3) Start doing some physical activity. I do 0 exercise and don't even walk because I drive everywhere. I am not planning to become a fitness fanatic so even if it's just walking to places rather than always using the car then to me it's a start.
Now this one I have failed at completey so far. I'm still driving everywhere and have made no effort to get out and walk. I'm definitely still going to try, but on top of that will soon be able to do some exercise at home - just purchased an exercise bike and some other workout equipment but wont arrive until early March.
WantToBeSlim is offline   Reply With Quote