Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
question on plan switch??

HI
I am atkins right now.

but wandering around seeing new plans I see alot of people are losing good weight on JUDDD.

I also noticed people's stats. FORMER atkins people now JUDDD.

any former atkins people, can you tell me why you switched to JUDDD?

It just caught my eye and I am wondering what made you switch because I am always on the lookout for something new and improved to help me.

in 14 weeks I lost 25.5 lbs on atkins. I am happy with it but so curious about JUDDD.

thanks

Last edited by Trigger828; 01-28-2013 at 05:29 AM..
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I switched from a general low carb/low sugar plan-not atkins, so hopefully others will chime in with their atkins/JUDDD transition experience

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Hi Trigger, and !

For me personally, my losses were really slowing down with Atkins after about 55 pounds. I wouldn't say I had stalled quite, but I was headed that way. I don't mind depriving myself if I'm losing well, but when the losses aren't happening, I don't see the point. I really believe now, looking back, that it was because although I was very strict low carb, I was probably eating too many calories and probably too much protein.

So I found JUDDD and started it, staying low carb. I did add back a little fruit and some starchy veggies I'd been missing like peas, corn, squash. Then over the holidays I added back....well, EVERTHING! Still, I lost 9 pounds during December. I was AMAZED!

Now I'm back to trying to control my carbs, although not really what you'd call low carb. I like my DDs to be high fat/protein. Seems like I can keep the hunger away that way, and I lose better too.

I still love Atkins, and admire the good doctor for his work. It's been a lifesaver to me over the years, because my body really does like meat and protein. But JUDDD gives me a freedom I never imagined possible all those years on Atkins!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/225/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
For me, bored with LC eating and wanted to eat some carbs, JUDDD definetly allows that, still revert back to LC occasionally when I fancy a few days of Bacon, sausage, burgers etc.
I find being fluid about what you do helps mentally and on the scale
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Atkins was too restrictive for me for a long term plan. Nothing is off limits on Juddd and that is something I can stick with forever.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
I totally believe in LC eating but my husband could never let go of pasta, potatoes and breads and was always making meals with them. Who am I to tell him not to cook, eh? He truly wasn't trying to sabotage me, just couldn't let go of what he loved. And marriage is about compromise, so we both have to give, I guess.

This plan he loves. If he's craving a pasta dish for dinner or wants to make his famous potatoes for breakfast, he just asks me if it's up up day or a down day. If it's an up day, off he goes; if it's a down day he asks me if I want to have pasta/potatoes tomorrow. On down days I eat LC as it's easier to stay in calorie zone with lots of salad greens and some protein.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos

Last edited by Zib; 01-28-2013 at 06:59 AM..
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

WOW Thanks

great responses and gives me good info about JUDDD

it all helps when you get a bit confused about plans you read about and are curious on how they work.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Zib I can now understand why I read alot of JUDDD people 'love the freedom.'

your hubby story put that into perspective for me. yea, he gotta has his taters LOL no one can say he can't ever have a tater again, poor guy
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
My story is much the same. I always do well with Atkins for a few months and then feel too restricted. I go off plan and gain all the weight back and then some. JUDDD allows me to restrict for only one day at a time which has kept me on plan for over a year and into a much slimmer, healthier body.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #10

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Me too, I know that Atkins a great plan and I lived that way, happily and healthily for over 10 years. But I have lost more weight after changing to JUDDD.

I started by staying LC but now I eat anything and everything. I also love the 'empty' feeling on a Down Day. Tis is not the feeling as hunger, which I am less fond of but no longer fear...

Thanks for dropping by.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

ok so basically JUDDD can not be a free for all eating junk on the UP day.

and the down day you stick basically to about 500 cals for the whole day.

So many follow a good menu on UP days but that could easily include some taters, or a bun on the burger or a dish of ice cream. as long as you don't go ape on anything.

the down day then becomes the 'calorie restriction' day that gives your body less calories, so that is how the weight loss is happening.

calorie restriction enough to keep the total calories under check and we lose weight.
(did I get all that right?)

I got a worry tho cause I eat weird. I can binge very quickly and I can binge on LC foods just as bad. I know me now and it ain't pretty

I think what scares me is the restriction day. while I might make a few, eventually I will either eat WAY over on an UP day or crash out on a down day and eat.

does this thing ever happen to anyone?
you get the freedom of some foods back, but eating those foods could be a downfall into a carb nightmare fest??
Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #12

I have to reply, in all honesty, that some people have found this a problem. Not me, but others have.

Many choose to follow JUDDD pretty LC and that often works well, see some of the answers above.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post

and the down day you stick basically to about 500 cals for the whole day.
So many follow a good menu on UP days but that could easily include some taters, or a bun on the burger or a dish of ice cream. as long as you don't go ape on anything.

the down day then becomes the 'calorie restriction' day that gives your body less calories, so that is how the weight loss is happening.

calorie restriction enough to keep the total calories under check and we lose weight.

I got a worry tho cause I eat weird. I can binge very quickly and I can binge on LC foods just as bad. I know me now and it ain't pretty

I think what scares me is the restriction day. while I might make a few, eventually I will either eat WAY over on an UP day or crash out on a down day and eat.

does this thing ever happen to anyone?
you get the freedom of some foods back, but eating those foods could be a downfall into a carb nightmare fest??
Well, I actually lost most of my weight by sticking to very low DD's (250-300) calories and way over on my UD's so it works differently for different people. I can;t do that anymore though and after a year I am now able to control my desire to overeat on certain foods like carrot cake and ice cream.

AND I am not recommending to follow what I did. I was probably just lucky. I still do very low DD's and plan to continue since I can add more calories to my UD's that way. I am supposed to be in maintenance but decided to lose a few more pounds just because.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12

Last edited by adillenal; 01-28-2013 at 08:46 AM..
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #14

Me too Adi
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I tried to do low carb for years and never really lost anything on it. I'm sure the fact that I only had 10-15 lbs. to lose had a lot to do with it. I thought about JUDDD for a long time before I switched. I was really resistant because of the DDs. Have to say, though, after doing JUDDD for over a year, this is working for me! I have to watch calories both UD and DD and use an online tracker for that. My DDs are 500 and I eat up to that as doing lower ones doesn't seem to be of any benefit (I've tried it). My dowfall is travel, but that was true of low carb, too. When we're gone on a trip for a week or two, I really fall off the wagon. JUDDD rotations are great to get back to when we return home, though, and I've been able to return to my pre-trip weight relatively quickly.

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips."
Oliver Goldsmith

"Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." Regina Britt

Last edited by shirlc; 01-28-2013 at 09:02 AM..
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
There are no restrictions on JUDDD besides calories. Repeat, no restrictions. If you choose to eat nothing but ice cream and french fries to get to your UD calories, that's your choice. I wouldn't recommend it, but the ONLY thing that is required to follow JUDDD is calorie restriction. That is what drew me in. I don't eat junk food all day, but I do have candy bars, cake, ice cream and things I couldn't eat on LC, and things I felt guilty about eating on ANY plan before now. I love the freedom!!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

adi, I saw your stats. that was 'alot' of diets tried. all failed and finally JUDDD was the winning plan? even atkins, you gained back?

that was very interesting. I guess you can manipulate JUDDD to work for what is best for your own personal eating plans. I like that cause it would give a bit more freedom.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Librarygirl I hear ya on that one.
I have eliminated foods. a candy bar ain't happening ever. on JUDDD it can be planned in. hmmm....
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I lost very slowly (as in a pound per month when never eating off plan) on Atkins, so I added JUDDD (but kept with lowcarb) to improve my rate of losing.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #20

A pound a month is about all Adi and some others saw sometimes. But they have reached their goals and below. As I repeat again and again, this is not a race.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

that is true. not a race.

when I did low fat/low cal. I starved but lost 70 fast. gained 50 back fast too cause I was stinking hungry all the time.

this time on atkins I vowed it would be slower cause I was eating and enjoying food. not being swayed by the 1/2 lb losses over and over again and kill myself to get more.

also time is good because the more time under your belt living the lifestyle, the more time you can learn and work on maintenance.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #22

That is the right attitude, Trigger.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #23
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post

Actually, you could do a free for all junk food day on an UD, as long as you're staying within your calorie allotment. Now, that's not recommended because you want to be healthy, but it's wonderful to have that freedom for special events like birthday parties, holidays, going out to eat etc etc. Or just being able to have a candy bar or a can of regular Pepsi once in a while

There's more going on with JUDDD than just calorie restriction. There's something called the SIRT1 gene that comes into play-the science behind this is way over my head, but Dr. Johnson's website goes into more detail about it, as well as some of the stickied links at the top of this section

I think what scares me is the restriction day. while I might make a few, eventually I will either eat WAY over on an UP day or crash out on a down day and eat. does this thing ever happen to anyone?

When I first started JUDDD I thought I'd be binge eating on my UDs, to make up for the DDs. Surprisingly though, after you've done it for a while, you realize you're not overly hungry on UDs. In fact a common 'complaint' is that we have to eat more food, to hit our UD calorie amounts. Most UDs I don't even eat breakfast anymore, because I'm just not hungry in the morning after a DD.

I think all of us were overwhelmed by the thought of doing such low calorie DDs, when we first started. It takes a few rotations to get into the rhythm of the plan, but then things start getting easier. Most of us who have done JUDDD for a while now actually prefer DDs to our UDs Also, if you're finding that 500 calories or less isn't working for you, you can always experiment with a bit higher numbers. There's several here who have 600 calorie DDs and are still losing weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
There are no restrictions on JUDDD besides calories. Repeat, no restrictions. If you choose to eat nothing but ice cream and french fries to get to your UD calories, that's your choice. I wouldn't recommend it, but the ONLY thing that is required to follow JUDDD is calorie restriction. That is what drew me in. I don't eat junk food all day, but I do have candy bars, cake, ice cream and things I couldn't eat on LC, and things I felt guilty about eating on ANY plan before now. I love the freedom!!
And JUDDD gives people the freedom to tweak the plan as they want. You can do it lc, primal, eat only whole foods, vegetarian, the standard American diet etc etc. Whatever way of eating you feel most comfortable doing, you can make work with JUDDD

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-28-2013 at 11:32 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
I was on Atkins induction for a month, and I lost 6 pounds overnight on the first day! (obviously water) Then I lost 3 more pounds over the next 4 weeks.(fat) That's not bad, and I really did like the way I felt on Atkins. I like that I could eat Ribeyes and real butter, whipping cream, and 4 oz of cheese a day! I didn't struggle much, because my appetite went Poof! But i realized on the 4th week, I would most likely have to stay on the induction phase forever if I wanted to lose 3 or less pounds a month, and then what if i increased the carbs or just wanted to eat an extra serving of fruit or raisins or some croutons? I had over 50 pounds to lose and wondered if there were other plans out there. I felt that my body wasn't really "letting go" on Atkins. Also, I HAD to have something sweet everyday, so I was making splenda cheesekake puddings, and they were just ok. I didn't think I wanted to stay on induction for the rest of my life, so I started moseying around the board and saw JUDDD. Actually I had seen JUDDD before on the list of weight loss plans, and always felt curious about it.and whenever I clicked to see what was going on over here, I really liked what I saw! The people over here are amazing, and the support is 2nd to none. At first I struggled with eating carbs. Should I eat carbs or not. I was sure that I shouldn't, but I decided to anyway. and I have lost another 8 pounds on Juddd in 17 days. Just as good, if not better than Atkins!
I am glad that I did Atkins for a short while, I learned a lot, and really have changed my eating for the better because of it. I haven't had bread or pasta or rice since I started Judding(well I had bread once and 1/2 can of ravioli on my first DD since I couldn't figure out what to eat.). And I think I am better for it. But I do eat sugar and sweets now, and the ocasional full sugar coke. I just really like that stuff. But I have cut back tremendously since before I started weight loss. All in all I have lost about 20 pounds in about 1. 5 months, and I am so glad I did Atkins, but I am going to stay with Juddd for now. I want my cake, and eat it too

Last edited by hot-in-texas; 01-28-2013 at 12:06 PM..
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

SIRT1
that is interesting. didn't know some science like that was involved.

thanks mom23
I will absolutely start finding out about more info on that. I like science behind things
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

hot-in-texas
that was very interesting about the switch from atkins.
thanks for sharing. alot of good info in there for me to digest!!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Welcome, Trigger...have to pop in here with my take, too...all good posts and I hope it's clearing up the fog. There is a lot more to JUDDD than just weight reduction; check out all the science about intermittent fasting...Dr. Johnson's book is good and explains some of what is happening, but IMHO, he doesn't go far enougn, maybe he was just too early and more info has been discovered. This is anti-aging, energy producing woe that is wy beyond losing weight.

My story is simple; I discovered Atkins back in the 1980's (I was a late comer but still stuck with the 1972 version) and lost weight and over the years, kept coming back to low carbing frequently. At one time, my husband had to lose some weight, studied up and we both lost the weight on Atkins; him 40, me 20. I've said I was adhering to lc woe most of the time, but Atkins would get too restrictive or I'd get lazy. I spent years gaining and losing the same freaking 10 to 20 pounds.

I got very tired of losing the same pounds over and over. I discovered JUDDD last year and decided to give it a try and so far have lost almost 40 pounds since June...and I've been stalled since eye surgery in November. BUT, I'm not giving up there is still the final 30 pounds to go and with this woe, I'll do it. Also with the help of the JUDDD BUDDDs here, I'm sure I'll do it. This really isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.

Yes, the first few DD's appear difficult but with a few tweaks it really is easy. Some start at the 30-40% level for a few weeks, others jump right into the fasting day...but most quickly reduce to the 20% level. If you haven't checked your numbers, please go to the Johnson site and do so as you'll discover it is enlightening. Check out his site, but go through the stickies here as there really is far more info here than on his site. We're the guinea pigs...er, make that the fore-runners of this woe.

Good luck, stick around and I'm sure you'll find that you belong...hugs to you in your quest.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

before doing atkins I searched a ton of plans to find some structure to help lose weight.

I think I choose atkins because it gave me what I wanted. Bacon. Ribeyes. crispy chicken because of the skin. tons of butter. full fat ranch dressing etc.

but more I read about ketosis and how atkins had so much controversary about being a horrible diet promoting consumption of so much fat, I am leery now if I should continue.

I am keeping carbs low. 20-25 per day. BUT IN MY MIND now I am thinking of switching over to JUDDD because of 2 things. the controversary on long term ketosis and such food restriction.

I am fine now but my mind is thinking that a switch will have to come.

does that make sense? long term I think atkins might not be the best plan.

So in general, what carb levels do most of you try to stay at on UP days. I was thinking like 50-60 tops if I jump over to JUDDD and keep the food real. fruit, veggies, leaner meats than I am eating and a few of the heavier carbs thrown in but sparingly.

is this feasible? my mind is kinda jumbled because atkins is treating me so well, I can easily stay on plan, yet somehow my mind is saying get ready for a plan change?

just not sure
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I don't count carbs at all. I have no idea how many carbs I consume on an UD. Probably through the roof! As far as I know I don't have a problem with carbs, but some people need to keep them low for health reasons, or other reasons or they just don't like the way carbs make them feel. I'm not knocking counting carbs, but I don't do it. On DD's I eat lower carb just because I don't eat very much. I will have potatoes sometimes and even a fudgesicle, but mostly meat or veggies.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

see being on atkins since Oct I feel like carbs are the only enemy out there.

but I noticed I 'kinda am not always up to snuff' everyday on this plan. like I have energy one day, then it is gone the next. To the point of not being able to keep my eyes open mostly. other days big energy but then a crash comes fast. I seem 'loopy' in my thinking a bit. for some reason I just don't feel in top form on some days and I never had that before.

I did LA WeightLoss and lost 70 lbs. but I was so stinking hungry But while doing that plan I always felt good. Not the effects the atkins is kinda giving me. gained 50 back and with atkins my mind went to having the higher fats to hold off hunger. it works.

but now I am thinking of kinda marrying the 2 plans into JUDDD.

I am so on the fence on how to jump. I lost 25.5. I am so darn scared to change for fear of gaining any back cause heck I want to lose at least another 30.