Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Fresh Produce! DD Ideas? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/795500-fresh-produce-dd-ideas.html)

Librarygirl 01-26-2013 03:53 PM

Fresh Produce! DD Ideas?

I bought avocados, limes, lemons, radishes, cabbage, green beans and onions today at the flea market (all for $6.00). I want some DD ideas, so that I can enjoy some of it tomorrow. :) I have no problem incorporating them in UD dishes, but not completely comfortable with DD cooking. Any tried and true recipes? :)

Carly 01-26-2013 04:01 PM

I really like lemon or lime in my water.
For 20oz of water queeze about 1/8 of a lemon or lime in the water and add 1 or 2 drops of liquid splenda.

It's so refreshing!

Librarygirl 01-26-2013 04:04 PM

Thanks, Carly. Is that a hint to not eat on DD? ;) :D

Carly 01-26-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16221375)
Thanks, Carly. Is that a hint to not eat on DD? ;) :D

No :), but I tend not to eat much on DDs so that was all I had to contribute...

Librarygirl 01-26-2013 04:08 PM

I also have a ribeye steak that I can't eat tonight. Any ideas on how to make that fit in with DD?:hyst:

piratejenny 01-26-2013 07:00 PM

That is some random stuff! Let me see if I can think of any one dish that would incorporate those foods!!! :laugh:

Have you ever had a cabbage salad? Slice cabbage, radishes, and some onion as thinly as possible, toss with lime and/or lemon juice and let marinate for a couple hours (or overnight, if you see this in time). Serve with slices of avocado. You could add the green beans if you like them raw; if not, steam them and add them to the salad (cold marinated green beans are delicious) or eat as a side dish.

(Google Mexican cabbage salad for more ideas)

hot-in-texas 01-26-2013 07:15 PM

I like green beans slow cooked with bacon and onion, yummm. And good comfort food too.
Usually I fry the bacon until not quite crisp, then remove it and cut it into little pieces, then put them back into the pan and add sliced onions(I like them sliced in rings for this recipe). Saute the onions until tender, then add the green beans and chicken broth, or water with chicken bullion to just cover the beans, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cover and simmer for 45 minutes or so. You can do it longer depending on how soft you like your green beans. Another good addition to this recipe is to add cut up red potatoes when you add the green beans.
I would use 1 onion, 2 slices of bacon and 1 cut up potato if your going to use it.
On an up day I add a cube of butter:D
I don't know the calorie count on this , but without the butter, I don't think it could be too bad.

sunday 01-26-2013 07:15 PM

I love every single one of those things and would do exactly what PJ said! :love:

And Carly Lemon water rocks! :cool:

I can never have avocado on a DD, because I can't stop! But that ribeye, let me tell you, I can eat that even if it is only a few slivers. :love: :p

hot-in-texas 01-26-2013 07:18 PM

If you cook the rib eye steak, and then let it cool, you could cut it up real real thin and then have a small bit of it atop a salad with your radishes.

sunday 01-26-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot-in-texas (Post 16221685)
If you cook the rib eye steak, and then let it cool, you could cut it up real real thin and then have a small bit of it atop a salad with your radishes.

Oh yes! I would do this and love this idea!

Lychee 01-26-2013 11:00 PM

Hot lemon water with stevia is my number one hunger cutter for DDs. But it has to be hot.

Flossyliz 01-27-2013 04:08 AM

It's cold here, so I'd make soup with the cabbage, onion and beans - with yeast extract for stock, plus herbs, spices, etc.
It would probably be about 50 cals per ladleful, so with some fat-free Greek yogurt, or some PB2, perfect for DD.

I'd save the avocado for a UD. Mash with some of the fruit juice, or with some yeast extract or with a good quality mayonnaise. Spread thick on wholemeal toast. Arugula, tomatoes, cucumber etc optional - yum!

Or would do wonders for a big chunky salad with lots of veggies plus some prawns or flaked tuna and dressed with a little olive oil and lemon juice.

Carly 01-27-2013 06:31 AM

There is a thai dish called Tiger Cry or Tiger Cries.
You may have all the ingredients including the steak.
Might be wrth googling the ingredients/ directions.

Also google Crying Tiger.

Librarygirl 01-27-2013 06:55 AM

Yummy!!!!!!!!!!! Woke up to these delicious ideas today. :) I wasn't really meaning to put everything together...lean times right now (and I don't mean physical :D), but I am loving these suggestions. Thank you JBs!

Carly 01-27-2013 07:12 AM

Let us know what you end up making.

It's UD here, but I'm considering the Tiger Cries or may make fried shrimp for DW though.

Librarygirl 01-27-2013 07:18 AM

Yummy fried shrimp!:yummy: You should make hush puppies too (since I gather she's southern, she probably loves them). :clap: Take a picture. :D

Hush puppies are fried dough (corn meal). ;) I've never made them, and would probably require a deep fryer. You can buy some frozen, but maybe not in NY.

hot-in-texas 01-27-2013 07:20 AM

Carly, Asian dishes have the best names, don't you think? I've seen a dish called Ants Climbing the Tree lol and Virgin Chicken. Their food is an art from, I like that, maybe THAT'S why their so thin???

Librarygirl 01-27-2013 07:22 AM

If I do eat the rib eye, how many oz for like 100 cals? Also, if I use one piece of lean bacon (20 cals) in my green beans, would I count all 20 cals if I don't actually eat it? Planning to cook the ribeyes tonight with green beans, potatoes and onions on the side (cooked together).

Carly 01-27-2013 07:36 AM

2oz of rib eye is 115 calories according to livestrong.

Librarygirl 01-27-2013 07:39 AM

That sounds good!! Thanks, Carly. :) I should have a lovely supper tonight!

hot-in-texas 01-27-2013 08:26 AM

You will have to add salt and pepper to the beans, (and garlic powder if you want)ope it tastes good. I simmer it just under a boil.

Librarygirl 01-27-2013 08:28 AM

Yes, I've cooked lots of fresh green beans...love to do them in a pressure cooker, but mine's bit the dust. ;)

Dottie 01-27-2013 08:43 AM

Avocado is right at 50cals per ounce, so just keep that in mind :) It is a nice addition for the very heart-healthy fats and the taste!:)

hot-in-texas 01-27-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16222342)
Yes, I've cooked lots of fresh green beans...

:doh: Lol. I'm simple this morning.:o