Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I just don't know what people are thinking when they make rude and hurtful statements like that. I always think to myself that living well is the best revenge. Early last year DW and I were in the laundry room and discussing that she needed to get more vitamin D. A very rude neighbor of ours said "You 2 should be more worried about losing 80 pounds a peice than vitamin D."
Well I've lost 70 pounds, but he hasn't commented since....
He was probably just jealous nobody cared about his vitamin D
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
He was probably just jealous nobody cared about his vitamin D
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #33
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I can't even imagine. No one has called me fat since high school. I think I might punch someone if they did.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Wow Rosey. That's just amazing that people think they have the right. I truly, truly believe that most evil in the world comes from insecurity. I always remind myself when someone is rude or nasty or just stupid that they're compensating for some deep insecurity about themselves. Doesn't make it hurt any less though.

Hugs to you Rosey. You ARE a beautiful person, and I'm so glad you're here with us!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Wow Rosey I'm sorry someone said such rude things to you, people can be so rude! I was at work today and there were these 2 guys, both were overweight and 1 guy said to the other guy, "Why did you wear that shirt today it makes you look even bigger than you already are." I was like OMG. The other guy just laughed it off but I was like I could not believe he said that to him. People talk without thinking.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/225/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
I think Men talk to each other differently, certainly the case over here, being fat, ginger or skinny are all fair game in male banter
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
no one has treated me that way. So sorry you got such a miserable group of people living around you. ugh.

I agree with GMC. I would be firing back. (I am that type)

Don't you dare take that treatment from anyone. If you allow those comments without some comment back then you accept them. Do not accept them.

I have a strong personality and I think I might punch someone also LOL

If a person feels they can speak their mind so direct and mindless AT YOU with rude comments, then by george I can fire back a reply that will leave their mouth hanging open to the floor by the time I am done with them
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

I really think that is true Trigger. If you just take it(which is honestly what I have always done, unfortunately), then you are left feeling powerless or victimized. I like the comebacks that Yennie mentioned, and I also like what you said, telling him he should give the milk a try. I think it's important ant to nip it in the bud right then and there(I need to take my own advice on this too)
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

I think also when someone says something directly at you that is obviously a rude comment and degrading statement----you are kinda left dumstruck. where your mind is saying---'did that person just say that?' and you kinda don't have a comeback right away cause you are in awe of such a rude comment from their mouth you kinda just hang there stupid and huh?

I would take a moment to collect my thoughts. process what they said and then give a whammer of a comeback and then fire away straight at them

one satisfaction I can get from this is while I know I might not have fixed their thoughts about people, I sure made them think twice about opening up their mouth to anyone else lol. So I might have saved another person from the junk from their mouth.

good deed I think to the world in general is to shut up a stupid person
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I'm just not good at comebacks. I"m the kind of person who only thinks of them a day or two later!!!

Some of the situations you all have shared made me think of how my mom or uncles would talk to me if I "butted in" on their conversation when I was little:
"WhoooOOOOoooo the huh-Eh-elllllllllll asked you?"
(You have to imagine turning each word into extra syllables with the voice going up & down! )
Or something like:
"Go away...the grownups are talking."

If it's a shop assistant, I might consider saying something like,
"Making comments about a customer's appearance is not professional. I'd like to speak to your supervisor."
2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/09 277.8
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosey
Stats: 198.8/195.3/130
WOE: Just JUDDD
Start Date: 12 January 2013
I think I'm just surrounded by people who feel they need to express their opinions about how others look. These might not necessarily be the people withhin my cycle. But I think if I didn't hear that I'm fat all the time from total strangers n sometimes the people close to me, u wouldn't feel much pain. But I'm almost 30 and I have been told I'm fat since I was 16 or so. N it dented my self esteem.

I remember when my sister was getting married n I asked her if I could b one of her bridesnaids n her husband said she doesn't want fat people next to her wife on his big day. I was 18 n 145lbs. It hurt me. When I got married my uncle rudely said, u getting married this fat? I was so shocked I told him ill go on a diet.

For me its always painful coming from a man cos I feel they mean what they say. Unlike us women. Sometimes we say stuff because we are jealous. Like a friend told me in high school. " your outfit is so nice, if only it was worn by me cos it looks bad on you"

I need to build my self confidence so that I don't take any nasty thing I hear as an attack
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I'm just not good at comebacks. I"m the kind of person who only thinks of them a day or two later!!!
when ya think of a good one, go back a day or 2 later and ZING them then
there is no time limit on a comeback response
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Rosey, those hurtful words really stay with you, don't they? Words are so much more hurtful than people give them credit. Especially when they come from someone we love.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miamiloca
Stats: 299 high/269 started hcg/197.0 ALDW/175
WOE: HHCG
Start Date: 3-5-2011
I do agree with the person who said perhaps it's a cultural thing. (not that that makes it ok to say anything about anyones appearance), but I have found that people from latin american countries are much more focused on weight and looks and a lot of them dont think anything of saying things to you that would be considered rude here in our culture. I dont think it's ok, my husbands self esteem has been damaged beyond repair, i think, from years of his parents and grandmother (all of whom are from latin america) calling him fat and if only he could just lose weight, he would be oh so handsome. (he is handsome at any weight and was really not that overweight as a child or young adult). My weight is also a popular topic with them as well. It's so irritating how some people just cant help themselves. They HAVE to say something. My mother in law can talk about my 100lb weight loss at least 3-4 times each time i see her. (which we try not to make very often). I just say "thank you" and try to change the subject. They are also small framed, short people who to me are tiny. I dont know how my husband ended up being so tall and large framed. He is the oddball and they sure dont let him forget it. As for strangers, i would come up with a general comeback like "oh thats a nice thing to say!" They will feel like an idiot in most cases.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

this reminds me of one of my favorite movies of all time, LoveActually. Colin Firth's character falls in love with a Potugese(I think, maybe it was Italian) girl, and there is a language barrier. THey are apart for awhile, and unbeknownst to each other, learn each other's language. Colin Firth's character shows up on the doorstep of his love's father, and says he wants to marry his daughter, in his best Portugese.(or Italian) The father mistakenly thinks he means the sister, and says something about the sister beingfat, when they go out on the street, the towns people also are incredulous becasue, they say the sister is fat. That was, or seemed cultural to me. Do people in those cultures grow thicker skin, I wonder. and do these cultures act this way, because they are superstitious and want to ward off somthing undesired?
Not that any of that really matters. I think it is sad, and Rosey, you deserve better You REALLY do. and when people say these kind of things, it has to be because of something they are insecure about, or they are projecting their own self doubt and insecurities. But it still hurts
one of my younger son's good friends told me that his grandma picks him and his sis up from school , and will go through a drive through to get the grand daughter something to eat, but won't get him something, because he" needs to lose weight". That was when he was 11. I say don't go at all! Or prepare a healthy snack for both I think this behavior is completely passive aggressive..
Old 01-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
one of my younger son's good friends told me that his grandma picks him and his sis up from school , and will go through a drive through to get the grand daughter something to eat, but won't get him something, because he" needs to lose weight". That was when he was 11. I say don't go at all! Or prepare a healthy snack for both I think this behavior is completely passive aggressive..
OMG, that is terrible!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
All of these things are so hurtful that I'm just too sad and shocked to know what to say.

Even if it is cultural, I think it just adds to the objectification of people, placing value on how they look instead of who they are, and it's necessary to move past that in order to reduce bullying, domestic violence, suicide, etc.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
EXACTLY PirateJenny!

It's how you treat others that matters!
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Dear Rosey...Im sorry that you had to hear such ignorant comments from such ignorant people...that's what they are...ignorant, and have no understanding of how another human feels...I also think that men are much worse about doing it than women...or that's my experience I guess..I would bet if you really knew the people well, who say crude and insulting things...you wouldn't like them as people, either..One time I was getting on a small taxi boat..where people sat in rows...my grown up daughter was with me..we had to scoot along in front of people who were sitting, in order to get to our seats...as I was moving along this gruff old man...says...Hey , don't fall on me....and as I got by and my daughter moved on beside me the same guy says Hey ..you can fall on me...
she was young , thin ,and pretty...if I remember she turned around and told him. you are so rude....then she told me..I'm sorry...that guy is a jerk...I think
there are so many jerks out there that if they couldn't find weight to use for their subject, ..they would look for something else....Just know that people who say awful and hurtful things for no reason are simply not worth knowing,.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
hot n texas, I would love to have a word with any parent or guardian that would do such a thing!

That is unexcuseable!!! Very odd behavior!

Rosy, Please remember that the family and acquaintances who act this way are suffering with imbecile syndrome and sadly there isn't a cure. Please feel free to tell them that being a bonehead seems to be their strong point.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Oh rosey I am sorry for that. Hold your head up high though! I have dealt with ignorance like this in the past and I decided.....they don't sleep in my bed so they don't matter! You seem like a beautiful person.....inside AND outside! So seriously to hell with them! Hugs and love to you!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote