Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Do you like fish? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/795417-do-you-like-fish.html)

JayLynn 01-25-2013 05:10 PM

Do you like fish?

I like to eat fish for the great nutritional benefits...and I really like it... but wish I fixed it better. Living in the NW I have access to lots of fresh seafood.

What kinds of seafood do you like?

What's your best recipe that is easy and delicious?

TIA :yummy:

TryingJudd 01-25-2013 07:39 PM

Love buffalo shrimp on a DD. Liberally spray a pan with butter flavored spray and put cleaned, fresh, raw shrimp on the hot pan. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and try not to move them too much. Now mix and cook through then apply as much hot sauce as you like and enjoy. Easy, two ingredients, delicious, low cal and satisfying.

JayLynn 01-25-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TryingJudd (Post 16219895)
Love buffalo shrimp on a DD. Liberally spray a pan with butter flavored spray and put cleaned, fresh, raw shrimp on the hot pan. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and try not to move them too much. Now mix and cook through then apply as much hot sauce as you like and enjoy. Easy, two ingredients, delicious, low cal and satisfying.

Sounds good, Trying! I love shrimp and usually cook them in garlic butter. I'll try this way on a DD....lots of calories saved...thanks!

Yennie 01-25-2013 08:20 PM

Grilled salmon with pesto. Grill skin side down & cover the top with pesto. Absolutely no idea the cals but its delicious! I also like grilling or broiling salmon with either lemon pepper or just a bit of dill.

Carly 01-25-2013 08:38 PM

For DDs I use to eat grilled Tilapia filets with some garlic powder or fresh minced garlic, kosher sea salt and Braggs aminos.

For UD I like grilled Salmon with a teriyaki ginger sauce that I make.

I also make a Cajun marinade that is good on salmon, swordfish, tuna or tilapia.

I'm not a shrimp fan, but on the rare occasion that I will eat them I make batter from scratch and fry them. I haven't done that in over a year, but DW has been asking so may just be UD Sunday dinner.

I love lobster and crab legs, but only eat that in restaurants. I'm not up for dropping the live lobster in a pot!

I love all sushi, but would dare try making that either.

KeirasMom 01-25-2013 09:12 PM

I'm super boring and rarely "cook" but my standard DD dinner is frozen swai or cod. I cook it in a steam bag in the microwave then cover it with organic horseradish mustard. Boring but quick and super low calorie.

JayLynn 01-25-2013 09:33 PM

mmmm these ideas sound yummy! Thanks ladies!

I eat salmon at least once a week. Hubby and his friends fish a lot and we are lucky to have access to a lot of fresh seafood. Our son-in-law does a lot of crabbing during the season so we get a lot of that too...nothing better than fresh crab with butter, if you like it that is. Two of my daughters absolutely hate it and I tell them GOOD! MORE FOR US! :jumpjoy:

ravenrose 01-25-2013 09:46 PM

the microwave is a miracle for fish cookery. put fillets or steaks on a plate, another plate on top of it (micro safe, of course, no gold trim!) and cook pretty briefly. I did 24 ounces of salmon fillets in about three minutes the other day. cooked to perfection. then I sauced with sherry vinegar and capers.

Debrat3 01-25-2013 09:59 PM

Jan you must be in the Seattle area? Im in eastern washington and I love fresh seafood,especially crab. Wish I could get more fresh crab over here.:yummy:

gotsomeold 01-26-2013 02:55 AM

UDs, steamed salmon topped with blue cheese salad dressing, extra blue cheese - all quickly broiled. Or add finely chopped sweet onion & celery to make a salad.

I :heart: seafood! If I lived near you, it would be my primary protein (come to think of it, many weeks seafood is my primary protein).

jaymar 01-26-2013 04:46 AM

Twenty years ago, I rarely would eat fish...living in the midwest , at the time.,we didn't have what I would call a good selection of seafood...then we took a vacation to Seattle...oh was that ever a game changer...there was a place on the wharf called Ivar's..we ate the fresh shrimp, clams..prawns..everyday that we were there...I've never had such amazing seafood..living in Florida now, I like to fix talapia on the grill with a little butter and onion and lemon juice.

sunday 01-26-2013 04:52 AM

Salmon, tilapia, lobster, crab, clams & shrimp lover here! :heart::heart::heart:

I love crab & lobster steamed w/ lemon butter.

Salmon baked or grilled with lemon pepper or maple glaze.

Tilapia blackened is my absolute fav. I can eat this cold.

Shrimp grilled with fresh salsa verde or cilantro lime dressing.

One of my fav restaurants Cheever's has a chef who makes the absolute best salmon that I have ever tasted, "Potato Crusted Salmon". It is so good, that I am dying to try to make this myself. :love:
Quote:

Ingredients:

Salmon
Almond/Tapioca Flour
Eggs
Hash Brown Potatoes
Flat Leaf Italian Parsley
Salt and Pepper

Cut salmon on a bit of an angle into 3.5 ounce portions. Dust in flour. Dip in egg. Roll in hash browns to which you have added salt and pepper and coarsely chopped Italian parsley. Put aside.

Lemon Dill Sauce:

3 cups White Wine
Juice of two Lemons and their Zest
1/2 cup of chopped Shallots
One bunch of chopped Fresh Dill
1 cup unsalted Butter

Heat first four ingredients in a sauce pan. Reduce by 1/3. When reduced, strain and slowly add 1 cup of all melted butter. This is your sauce. Keep warm. The salmon is pan sauteed in olive oil on one side, flipped and then put into a 450 degree oven for 7-10 minutes depending on how you like it cooked. The salmon is served pan roasted side up…on top of zucchini, yellow squash and carrots that have been sautéed in olive oil and mirin. For plating…vegetables on the bottom, salmon on top, coat with lemon dill sauce and a dash of fresh lemon juice.
http://www.tastewiththeeyes.com/wp-c...MG_5561_31.jpg

BaileysGirl 01-26-2013 06:09 AM

Omg Sunday! That looks amazing!! Am def gonna try!

I love seafood! Shrimp, crab, tilapia, grouper, catfish, mahi mahi, salmon, trout, did I say crab, shrimp! LOL Love any of the lemon, dill, horseradish, tartar sauces.

I had a blackened tilapia with a mango salsa at RT last week and it was amazing!

LoCarbGal 01-26-2013 06:53 AM

I love fish! My favorites are tilapia and salmon. I also love catfish fried in cornmeal - yummy!

I sautee tilapia in a little butter and olive oil, and liberally sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and dill weed. I mix all the spices up and then sprinkle over the fish, both sides. It's so flavorful and really pretty lo cal.

Salmon I love grilled, marinated in a soy/ginger marinade.

Boy, you've made me crave fish. Lucky for me, I'm having leftover tilapia for lunch!

JayLynn 01-26-2013 07:20 AM

Sunday, that salmon looks amazing! I might have to try that this weekend.

Good reasons to eat fish:

Fish is an excellent low fat food packed with essential fatty acids that are great for the brain.

Fish is a great protein, and one that is easily digested, better than chicken or red meat meat.

Fish is very high in other vitamins and minerals as well as protein, like iodine, magnesium, phosphorous , vitamin A & D

Fish is brilliant for pregnant women, very high in many key minerals for the unborn baby, providing lots of key nutrients a baby needs to develop a strong healthy brain, good eye function,tuna, mackerel and sardines are great for lactating women.

Eating fish is also known to reduce your chances of stroke and heart attacks. The omega 3 fatty acid helps to strengthen the cellular membranes against attack.

Fish, like aspirin keeps the blood platelets from clumping, thus preventing clots.

Fish such as salmon, mackerel,herring, sardines, albacore tuna is excellent for reducing joint inflammation, as they are high in omega 3 oils.

Fish is very good at lowering blood cholesterol levels.

Eating at least 2 portions of fish per week is very good for the management of diabetics as it controls blood sugar levels.

Eating fish which is high in omega 3 could help to prevent altzheimers diseases.

Dottie 01-26-2013 07:27 AM

Any white fish (tilapia, swai, flounder, cod, etc) or shrimp
1 can diced tomatoes in their own juice
1-2T capers or chopped green olives
red pepper flakes (optional)

In a saucepan place the tomatoes(with juices), capers(olives) and red pepper flakes. Simmer a few minutes then nestle the fish into the sauce, simmer covered until the fish is cooked through.
Remove fish and reduce the sauce slightly.

I sometimes add 'riced' cauliflower to the sauce(after removing the fish) and serve it like that with the fish on top.

BaileysGirl 01-26-2013 07:27 AM

:goodpost: good info! I need to eat more fish!

hot-in-texas 01-26-2013 07:45 AM

Yes, I love seafood! We don't even have any water sources around where I live though :(
Having lived in the Houston area for awhile about 10 years ago, we had a lot of Cajun influenced seafood. Shrimp etouffe is one of my very favorite things! We even in ate crawfish, and fried oysters, and raw oysters at that.
I love fresh trout, and fried catfish, especially if served with hush puppies:-) .
Succulent shrimp is another favorite, grilled, or cooked in a stew or wrapped with bacon and jalapeno-yummy!
Crab legs and lobster are such a treat, that I have only had a small handful of times in my life.
I buy the smoked salmon that they sell in the seal packs, and cut them up I large pieces, toss with baby spinach, lemon juice and a tablespoon or 2 of alow cal herb vinagrette for lunch at our house quite often.

Demonica 01-26-2013 08:54 AM

I like to make tilapia fillets with Old Bay seasoning.:yummy:
I LOVE popcorn shrimp and breaded clams but I don't buy them. I only eat them on the rare occasion we go out to eat.

JayLynn 01-26-2013 08:58 AM

mmmm love oysters too! we get them seasonally also and just grill them and eat them from the shell with a squeeze of lemon. Oh man I can't wait for some. We can buy them from the seafood markets too. I might have to look for some.

DH smokes some great salmon. He doesn't make it too strong, which I love.

And bacon wrapped shrimp... to die for! I think I'm gearing up for a seafood feast! Glad to see so many of us JUDDDbuddds love fish!

piratejenny 01-26-2013 11:32 AM

I don't particularly like cooked fish, but I love ceviche!
It's a good DD food.

I also like pickled herring in sour cream.

Shrimp & crab are yummy, but I don't eat them often.
Once in a while I like to make a veggie quiche with crab.
(Mushrooms, spinach, onions, maybe some red pepper, all sauteed and cooked well before assembling the quiche.)

JayLynn 01-26-2013 11:39 AM

No ceviche for me....I had to look it up LOL

I like my fish cooked.

Librarygirl 01-26-2013 03:46 PM

I buy talapia a lot and use a flour batter with paprika, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper mixed in...dredge and shake off excess, fry in 2 T of olive oil till light brown and crispy. I also make tartar sauce with mayo, sweet pickle relish, splash of worchestershire and a squeeze of lemon (or lemon juice concentrate).:yummy: When I'm trying to save cals, I make a dejon mustard sauce with same ingredients, minus mayo.

soon 01-26-2013 04:54 PM

I dont like the high prices of fish soI usually just eat tilipia, shrimp canned tuna and salmon. I have some salmon patties I picked up at costco but didnt like and so the cat gets a treat every now and than. I make tuna salmon or shrimp salad, With the tilipia I sprinkle lime pepper seasoning and eat it that way or make cerviche with it, Auouher favorite is to make a terriyaki marinade and marinade the tilipia in fridge and than fry it.
I too love lobster bui on;y eat it at red lobster. Cracker barrel has some lc options I like their lemon pepper fish.

Librarygirl 01-26-2013 05:32 PM

You can make awesome salmon patties with canned salmon, soon. I suggest buying the "real" canned salmon, as opposed to the packets or cans without bones. You can mash the bones and use them in your recipe (well I throw out the spine, but probably shouldn't)...mix with mustard, worchestershire, egg, garlic, pepper, salt, crushed crackers or pork rinds if you're LC...shape into patties and refigerate for about an hour (if you have time, it make them keep their shape better). Fry or bake.

Carly 01-26-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16221511)
You can make awesome salmon patties with canned salmon, soon. I suggest buying the "real" canned salmon, as opposed to the packets or cans without bones. You can mash the bones and use them in your recipe (well I throw out the spine, but probably shouldn't)...mix with mustard, worchestershire, egg, garlic, pepper, salt, crushed crackers or pork rinds if you're LC...shape into patties and refigerate for about an hour (if you have time, it make them keep their shape better). Fry or bake.

Yum sounds good, DD here :annoyed:

JayLynn 01-26-2013 09:58 PM

I haven't made salmon patties in ages. They are good with crushed pork rinds if you want LC. You don't need much. I dont' like eating plain pork rinds but I do use them for things I need bread crumbs or crackers for. It works great for a LC substitution.