Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Does anyon ever fast completely(except drinks)on DDs? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/795392-does-anyon-ever-fast-completely-except-drinks-dds.html)

hot-in-texas 01-25-2013 01:14 PM

Does anyon ever fast completely(except drinks)on DDs?

Was wondering if it is okay to just have drinks(tea, water coffee, whatever) and not eat at all, or will that mess up your metabolism. Has anyone tried it with good results?

zagnut 01-25-2013 01:28 PM

I don't, (can't, lol) but I think I read complete fasting is the better option? I Thought the 500 calories or lower were options because most people can't do a complete fast. Don't remember the details. And maybe I'm wrong, I'm sure someone else knows for certain but If I could do it, I would. I'm determined to try at some point, just not now lol.

Flutter 01-25-2013 01:30 PM

I have. (well, other than coffee w/ a splash of skim milk) Once I eat, I'm hungrier, so I try to stick with mainly drinks on DDs. Whatever works best for you girly!

ETA: what zag says is what the book says. A complete fast would be ideal, but 500 or below is fine since most people can't do that.

hot-in-texas 01-25-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zagnut (Post 16219182)
I don't, (can't, lol) but I think I read complete fasting is the better option? I Thought the 500 calories or lower were options because most people can't do a complete fast. Don't remember the details. And maybe I'm wrong, I'm sure someone else knows for certain but If I could do it, I would. I'm determined to try at some point, just not now lol.

Zag, I am trying to today, because I feel like eating makes me hungrier, so I thouht if I just don't eat, then maybe it won't be any harder...I have been drinking hot tea today-3 cups so far.

hot-in-texas 01-25-2013 01:32 PM

flutter, sounds like we're on the same wave lenght here..

sdjade 01-25-2013 01:34 PM

I actually did this for the first time on Wednesday. I did drink diet soda and water all day. It was okay...I actually didn't feel any hungrier at bed time than I do on most DD. I'm not going to make a habit of it, but it can't hurt. Maybe I'll have a whoosh this weekend. If that happens I will try them more often! :D

Flutter 01-25-2013 01:34 PM

Yep, it works great for me! (most of the time!) I have had some yummy DD things, though, like chili and my beloved skinny lattes, but I have found that just lots of liquids is great for me most of the time. I remember the first DD I had, I made the mistake of trying to snack on string cheese early in the afternoon. BIG. MISTAKE. lol! We try and we learn! :) You can do it!

LoCarbGal 01-25-2013 01:34 PM

I haven't done a liquid fast for the whole day. I'm not sure I could do that. But I do save most of my calories for late dinner on DDs. Most DDs I do have coffee w/cream for breakfast. You can do whatever makes you most comfortable! Isn't that great?

Demonica 01-25-2013 01:43 PM

I have done complete fasting DD's before.:) Haven't done it for awhile though. Eventually I will work my way back down to it again. It's easier to do when I have a zillion little projects to do. Time flies by and before I know it, it's time to go to bed and I'm not even hungry.:)

Luna Loca 01-25-2013 03:00 PM

Yes, I've done it too (if you don't count a splash of milk in tea, which I don't). I don't do it often, and find that I can't do it on days that I exercise, I get too hungry. But it's nice when it does happen.

Fasting completely--no food, no calories--is Dr. J's gold standard. But he made it 500 calories or 20% to make it easier for people to do. But if you can fast completely, that's supposed to be the best for SIRT-1 build-up.

adillenal 01-25-2013 03:07 PM

I have and still do every once in awhile but I found that it really didn't make a difference in my weightloss. But I like doing DD's with an egg and coffee with HWC for breakfast and then nothing but liquids for the rest of the day. Broth, water, diet coke and tea

Eieio 01-25-2013 03:15 PM

More power to u JUDDDs!
Yes what Luna and ZAGNUT says is in dr J's book.
I've had a nice head buzz this after noon!
With only 160 cals today so far 4 pm here.
Usually my head buzz doesn't happen until post dd- like am morning of UD.
Strange, me likes
Ei Ei O

RebeccaSimpson 01-25-2013 03:17 PM

As you know I try to juice fast on green juices. Since a juice doesn't has any fiber it goes directly into your bloodstream and gives you energy and nutrients. They do come with calories. The juice I have is about 140 a glass, and I have 2 of them a day. I did snack on some carrots and some apple on my last dd. Not sure if I could handle a water day fast...
Keep us in the loop how it goes for you if you try it.
I also believe that it depends on the food we eat, if we get more hungry or not. For most people protein does the trick....

hot-in-texas 01-25-2013 03:41 PM

Rebecca, what is your green juice? Do you make it or buy it?

KeirasMom 01-25-2013 04:04 PM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it if you're able to do it. I am one who tried it a couple of times and didn't really notice any difference in my weight loss so I don't do it anymore. If I ever had a day where I truly wasn't hungry at all, I might do it again, but I won't make that my goal.

Carly 01-25-2013 04:06 PM

I do every now and then, but most nights I have a bedtime snack of about 150 calories or so since some of my medication needs to be taken with food. Otherwise I fast on just water, tea or broth till 9pm or later.

hot-in-texas 01-25-2013 04:17 PM

I started to get a headache at 3, now it's pretty bad. Don't know if it's lack of food or lack of coffee as in have done without both today. I do have some diet coke , will see if that helps

Librarygirl 01-25-2013 05:20 PM

I've never gone lower than 375 calories, lol. And that was only a couple of times. I like my 400-500 cal DD's, but if I *could* fast completely, I would (sometimes). Go for it!!

Rebecca, if you're using vegs in your juice, it does have fiber, I think.:dunno: Just because it's liquid doesn't mean that the fiber is gone, right?

tofucheez 01-26-2013 05:49 AM

Librarygirl-If you put everything in a blender/vitamix and whizz it til liquid, it'll have fiber...and that's a "smoothie."

If you put it through a juicing machine it removes all of the pulp and you have "juice." :)

sunday 01-26-2013 05:57 AM

I have done water fast and not a fan.

I can do a liquid fast, but prefer veggie fast with kale, spinach, coconut milk smoothie. My DD ranges from 250-700. With most days being around 350.

Librarygirl 01-26-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofucheez (Post 16220192)
Librarygirl-If you put everything in a blender/vitamix and whizz it til liquid, it'll have fiber...and that's a "smoothie."

If you put it through a juicing machine it removes all of the pulp and you have "juice." :)

I see. I did not know that. :)

RebeccaSimpson 01-26-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot-in-texas (Post 16219476)
I started to get a headache at 3, now it's pretty bad. Don't know if it's lack of food or lack of coffee as in have done without both today. I do have some diet coke , will see if that helps

Hi, a headache can come up if you haven't had enough to drink and/or signs of detox.
My green juice is a basic juice I do myself. With some kind of green leafs (kale, Spinach, Lettuce) Cucumber, Celery, Lemon, Ginger, Apple.

RebeccaSimpson 01-26-2013 07:13 AM

:goodpost:
Quote:

Originally Posted by tofucheez (Post 16220192)

RebeccaSimpson 01-26-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16220199)
I have done water fast and not a fan.

I can do a liquid fast, but prefer veggie fast with kale, spinach, coconut milk smoothie. My DD ranges from 250-700. With most days being around 350.

Sounds yummy!!! :yummy:

hot-in-texas 01-26-2013 09:03 AM

Well, I caved at 7:30. And ate all of my 320 calories. I do think I could have done it, but just decided against it at the last minute hee hee
Next time I will try some kind of juices.

Flutter 01-26-2013 12:13 PM

Looks like you did just fine girly! (great WI!!!!) :clap:

KathyL 01-26-2013 02:36 PM

I usually fast completely 1 day per week. And for a few weeks I tried fasting all DDs but as other said I did not notice any diff. weight loss wise.

hot-in-texas 01-26-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathyL (Post 16221132)
I usually fast completely 1 day per week. And for a few weeks I tried fasting all DDs but as other said I did not notice any diff. weight loss wise.

Do you thin the complete fast 1 day per week does help with weight loss?

Becky 01-26-2013 08:15 PM

I don't think I could manage a complets zero calorie fast. i may try a food free fast tomorrow and just do coffee, water, and one small bottle of soda (diet pepsi). It will probably add up to between 300 and 500 calories (half and half adds up quick for me!).

Lychee 01-26-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathyL (Post 16221132)

I think I'm going to try this as well. I'll have one no counting, indulge a little day (without going too crazy) and then follow that with the complete fast, liquid only, water, green tea and hot lemon juice with stevia, which cuts appetite so, so well for me. The rest of the week I'll do regular up and down days.