Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Chilblains update ~ and the JUDDD factor

I had my follow up with the Rheumatologist today, and it wasn't pretty. He says he's done all he can for me and my condition is chronic. I'm to avoid caffeine (like THAT's going to happen!), stay as warm as possible, keep taking the vasodilator he has me on, and pull up my big girl pants and either deal with it or see a vascular surgeon.

My right hand, while usable, is extremely uncomfortable. The swelling is going down, which is good, but the skin has spent so much time being stretched (sometimes to the point of splitting--ew!), that it's scarred and looks horribly dry and scaly. My left hand is mostly back to normal with some scarring on my ring finger and a couple of "minor" chilblains on other fingers.

Here's my dilemma. DH lost his job, and subsequently his insurance. I have insurance, but do NOT have enough expendable income to have surgery. I also am deathly afraid of surgery, having had a pulmonary embolism when I had Keira by C-section. At this point, I'm not going to see the surgeon.

However, this leads me to finding ways to keep warm. I have thyroid disease and Reynaud's disease, both of which cause me to be cold anyway. Add to that the chilblains, which are secondary to the Reynaud's in any case, and I'm miserable. I wear gloves almost all the time, have a space heater under my desk at work, yada yada yada. I've reduced my caffeine intake by drinking mostly tea now instead of coffee, but I'm not quite ready to give up either. I will cut back further though.

With JUDDD, I freeze every day, but DDs are worse, and I fear they aren't helping my condition any. I've been contemplating doing 5:2 for maintenance, and I wonder if just having 2 DDs a week will help or make no dent at all in my freezing. I could go to a straight low calorie diet, but I LOVE doing JUDDD and really don't want to quit. I'm really confused. That's probably because I simply don't know if my DDs are really a detriment to my condition or if I'd be just as miserable, physically, if I switched to another plan. I've tried raising my DD calories for maintenance and I was gaining, so I'm just freaking out a little bit.

I guess I'm really just putting this all down to help me sort it out in my own head. I have some thinking and research to do. Grrr.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance

With you being so close to maintenance, the 5:2 format may be a really good fit. I've been doing gobs of research on it (there's massive threads going on mums net about it), and I've pretty much decided to switch over myself. I'm halfway through week one of experimenting with it and I've maintained perfectly so far. Since I have a few pounds to lose yet, I'm still going to throw in a potato hack and meat/egg fast here and there to get rid of those last pesky pounds, but I'm pretty sure my every other day rotations are done with. We've had below 0 temps this week, so I can't tell you if less DDs have meant less cold for me-it's freezing here lol.

There's also people who have been able to maintain on a 6:1 plan, which is just one 500 calorie DD a week. It boggles the mind that this would work, but it is for some

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-23-2013 at 11:23 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Dawn, I almost asked about this when you told us about your condition but thought I would wait until you had time to find out the results. I agree that JUDDD could be a hinderance. I freeze at night every single day and worry about the effects of the slow dd myself. I am really thinking the 5:2 or 8 hour window actually would be better, in my opinion.

You know, I have done the 8 hour window (well actually 7) with JUDDD and I can see how this would be a very simple maintenance plan. Only throwing in a DD randomly, when I see my weight start to go above the goal weight window. You look fantastic and I am excited that you have done so well.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
:
There's also people who have been able to maintain on a 6:1 plan, which is just one 500 calorie DD a week. It boggles the mind that this would work, but it is for some
I have a feeling 6:1 may be for me as long as I stay in a 7 hour window daily. I am finding that I have a very hard time getting my UD calories in during this short of a time period. This tells me that naturally, we will eat CRON during this short of a time window.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #7

I'm really, really thinking about trying the 5:2. The more I think about it, the more I think it can't hurt to try it out. The worst that could happen is I don't see any improvement in my freezing and I gain a couple of pounds, which I know I can take back off with JUDDD.

But . . . can I still be an honorary JUDDD BUDDD if I switch? It's really just JUDDD with fewer DDs.

Sunday, you bring up an interesting option too. I've kicked around the idea of doing an 8 hour window. I wonder if I should try to incorporate that into 5:2, or try straight 5:2 first to see how that goes.

Can you all tell I'm trying to convince myself I need to eat more "for my health!?"
Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimNana
Stats: Age 55 5'6" Goal:140
WOE: IF 16/8 & 4:3
Dawn, so sorry you didn't get the news you had hoped to hear from the Dr. today. For the sake of your health and well being, maybe it would be best for you to just call goal for now at 165. Give yourself the next few months of doing maintenance level DDs & UDs, and get well sooner rather than prolong your present condition.

Ann

Last edited by SlimNana; 01-23-2013 at 12:19 PM..
SlimNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
So sorry you are struggling with this. I agree with all the quicker posters - try the 5:2 or call goal and make your health and comfort the priority now. Please, please stay with us on these boards and keep us updated whatever you do.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Dawn-

Sorry about all of this. I can't help with much, but I do have a suggestion for dealing with being cold...

My body has always run cold, to the point that I would be in tears taking my dog for a walk. Adding more layers didn't do any good because I wasn't producing any heat to keep in. So three and a half years ago I bought a heated jacket. It has a rechargeable battery--I just recharge it after I wear it. It sounds extravagant, but it was only about $150---BEST money ever spent!!! It has totally changed my life, no exaggeration. And I haven't had any problems with it at all in three and a half years of near constant use. It also doesn't look weird or bulky. The one I have is waist length and fitted, made of a nice black material. Very sleek looking, actually. There are also heated gloves available that are rechargeable. Believe me Dawn, WELL worth the money.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think Dawn will always be our JUDDD Queen, no matter which IF she chooses.

I am only on my 2nd week of doing the 7 hour window and it has been so easy to adapt to. I have a feeling you will master it and naturally arrive at your goal weight very gently.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, Your small weight gain could be from the new weight lifting you are doing, couldn't it? I just remember you saying that you have begun and weights does that to me as well.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #13

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
This is so not what I wanted to read.

I am just so frustrated for you.

If I were you I would go with the 5:2 with or without the eating window.

I am just launching into it myself. There has been so much about it in the media here since Mike Mosley brought out his book, I bought it for my Kindle today...

And as for staying around here. If you leave, I'll leave, so don't you go anywhere my friend.

And, keep warm. I will be looking into hated gloves myself.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Dawn you ARE JUDDD.. No matter how you choose to maintane your weight! As for the cold.. if you truly find that eating less contributes to that.. then by all means.. ADD MORE HOT CHILLI!! But seriously.. You need to find the right balance for you and your body and if the 5:2 or 6:1 is it, you owe it to your self after all to try~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
I was wondering, when you were on JUDDD for a shorterr period of time, like in the early phases, but after the SIRTs kicked in, were you freezing then, once you got the SIRTs?
I thought maybe once you go on maintenance, without such a big Gap between calories, maybe you lose your SIRTs? and freeze again. Because I don't get cold anymore, just on my 1st and 2nd DD did I really freeze. Now I notice a freeze only about 30 minutes out of the day on my DD and then all is good.
so, in conclusion, I guess what I'm asking, is have you lost your SIRTs?
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
I have nothing but for what you're going through. I hope the 5:2 works for you and who knows, it may even help with losing again.

Do you even have to ask about staying???? You're one of the poster kids for JUDDDs. I think any of the IF plans are JUDDD in disguise anyway - just the king (or queen) of all tweaks!!

Now, speaking of the "JUDDD Cold" (which I never remember having), I'm heating up a cup of coffee to stay warm!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/168.4/140)65yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
(((Dawn))) I hate it when I hit a cross road like this with no clear answer for myself! My 2 cents is: follow your instincts!! You've been on this road so long that I know you have a big handle on JUDDD. You can always fall back on it when you need to. As for staying here???? THAT'S a given! You HAVE to stay!!! How would we function without you?! I sure couldn't!!!

I'm just sorry your news wasn't any better! I bought my son an electric throw for his lap & legs. He has very little circulation in his legs. And in the winter, they can turn to popsicles!! We just have to really monitor it since he has no real sense of too hot or too cold. You wouldn't have that issue tho.

Keep us posted??

I’ve always wanted to be normal, but lately I’ve come to suspect that this is it.
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #18

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
My DH bought me one of those Shari, It is life changing.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Cindy, when I put it on him, he gets the biggest grin on his face!!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Bummer Dawn
Y y y do doctors always went to take away caffeine!
Wonder did he really think it would help or is he drawing at straws? Humm.
I'd love to see what a surgeon would suggest.
Decisions D...
I want a heated coat and gloves Tofuchee!
Great idea, guess one would ave to make sure it wasn't going to rain.
A question, can u remove electrical parts of the garments and wash or have them dry clean? Thank u.
Dawn decaf coffee for u. It's worth a try!
U are our leader JUDDD head. Take care.
Ei
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
I love my heated blanket, too. But the great thing about the jacket is that it goes with you (the battery tucks into the pocket) so you are not tethered to an outlet.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
Cindy, when I put it on him, he gets the biggest grin on his face!!
that is so so sweet
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #23

You all are the BEST!

I have pretty much decided to try 5:2, starting today. Today was supposed to be a DD and I've only had 210 calories, so I may have a snack, then a regular dinner. I probably won't hit over 1000 calories today, so it'll be more like a MD, and then have an UD tomorrow, DD on Friday, then UDs over the weekend. We'll be out of town anyway, meeting relatives in Sacramento, so that'll be easy peasy. Then I should have a plan in place for next week.

I'm leaning toward M/F DDs with some flexibility if I need it.

I'll hold off on an eating window for now, unless I start gaining right off the bat. I'll keep that in my back pocket in case I need it.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
Dawn-

Sorry about all of this. I can't help with much, but I do have a suggestion for dealing with being cold...

My body has always run cold, to the point that I would be in tears taking my dog for a walk. Adding more layers didn't do any good because I wasn't producing any heat to keep in. So three and a half years ago I bought a heated jacket. It has a rechargeable battery--I just recharge it after I wear it. It sounds extravagant, but it was only about $150---BEST money ever spent!!! It has totally changed my life, no exaggeration. And I haven't had any problems with it at all in three and a half years of near constant use. It also doesn't look weird or bulky. The one I have is waist length and fitted, made of a nice black material. Very sleek looking, actually. There are also heated gloves available that are rechargeable. Believe me Dawn, WELL worth the money.
That sounds great. May I ask where you got it? Was it at like a sporting goods place, or a specialty shop? I'm really interested in something like that. Also, how long does the battery last before it needs to be recharged?

I love my heated mattress pad on my bed!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
I'm sorry you didn't get better news.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
You all are the BEST!

I have pretty much decided to try 5:2, starting today. Today was supposed to be a DD and I've only had 210 calories, so I may have a snack, then a regular dinner. I probably won't hit over 1000 calories today, so it'll be more like a MD, and then have an UD tomorrow, DD on Friday, then UDs over the weekend. We'll be out of town anyway, meeting relatives in Sacramento, so that'll be easy peasy. Then I should have a plan in place for next week.

I'm leaning toward M/F DDs with some flexibility if I need it.

I'll hold off on an eating window for now, unless I start gaining right off the bat. I'll keep that in my back pocket in case I need it.
Dawn, that sounds like a plan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
That sounds great. May I ask where you got it? Was it at like a sporting goods place, or a specialty shop? I'm really interested in something like that. Also, how long does the battery last before it needs to be recharged?

I love my heated mattress pad on my bed!
I would love to know where to buy them, too! We can't put our son on a heated mattress pad due to his incontinence!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
I was wondering, when you were on JUDDD for a shorterr period of time, like in the early phases, but after the SIRTs kicked in, were you freezing then, once you got the SIRTs?
I thought maybe once you go on maintenance, without such a big Gap between calories, maybe you lose your SIRTs? and freeze again. Because I don't get cold anymore, just on my 1st and 2nd DD did I really freeze. Now I notice a freeze only about 30 minutes out of the day on my DD and then all is good.
so, in conclusion, I guess what I'm asking, is have you lost your SIRTs?
Because of my medical issues, this is a hard question to answer. I don't have many of the benefits that others get with SIRTs, but I do have fairly good appetite suppression.

I've ALWAYS been cold. I was diagnosed with Reynaud's Disease when I was fifteen, and the only real symptoms I ever had was being cold and having purple hands and feet. When I was obese, I wasn't cold, but that's because I was insulated. I started getting cold again when I started JUDDD, but it was also December.

I don't have increased energy, but again, I have thyroid disease and that saps energy. I really don't know what my SIRT saturation is, but I think it's pretty good and I just don't feel all the good stuff because of my wonky physical issues. I wonder if there's a way to determine SIRT levels. I think we need SIRT-o-styx to pee on!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Dawn, I'm so sorry it wasn't good news. I understand your fears about surgery - I share them and haven't had the scary experience you have had with it.

I think it definitely is worth researching for specialty products that can make you more comfortable and help you stay warm. I know gloves are a problem when working. Maybe there's some kind of heated gloves with the fingertips out. I know you want to keep your tips warm, but if your hands overall were warmer, maybe the tips wouldn't get so icy cold.

No matter what eating plan you decide on, you HAVE to stay with us, Dawn! I couldn't have done what I've done without your support, humor and helpful information. And even if you're not doing IF at all, you have so much good experience that you can still share. And if you take Cindy with you, I just don't know what I'll do!

to you. You'll get this figured out. Remember that many, many people are able to have improvements in their health through their own research, even when doctors say this is as good as it gets. Don't despair. Don't give up.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Dawn, I'm so sorry to hear things aren't going well. My Raynaud's was terrible when I was thin...your story has me worried it might worsen with weight loss as yours has. I wish there was more medical information about this!

As far as I'm concerned, with all the different JUDDD tweaks mentioned by many JUDDD BUDDDs, 5:2 is really just JUDDD with one less DD. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen a post or two amongst the many pages of this section by some maintainers who mention only having one or two DDs a week.

I really hope you find a solution that works!

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
--Lily Tomlin

The Quest: Toward Spark-Free Thighs!!

The Blog
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I don't think you are a smoker, but just in case; my daughter has Raynauds and has not had symptoms since she gave up smoking 5 yrs ago.

I would do some google searching and see what other sufferers have come up with.
I also do not have health insurance so do lots of research when a problem arises.

How 'bout hot pepper/flakes. I tend to add a little to most things.
Also ginger, freshly grated. There are lots of ways to consume it but broth w some pepper flakes, ginger and whatever else (protein, shiritake noodles.....)
These are natural vasodilators.
Maybe google natural vasodilators.

Caffiene is a vasoconstrictor and that is the reason for the rec to give it up.....I agree, I will be dead.
I walked into the urologists office this morning w a starbucks tall in hand, daring anyone to comment.
If your consumption is high, maybe cutting back a bit.

I am sure you can control this!!