Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I love A.A. Milne. I also have fluff in my ear.

What about LaTortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Wheat & Gluten-Free Softwraps?

They have them at Wal-Mart & Homeland. Cheap too.

Quote:
These wraps are made from Millet and Teff, two highly nutritious ancient grains that are gluten-free and packed with 15g of whole grains per serving and a good source of dietary fiber. Make delicious wrap sandwiches, burritos, enchiladas or simply add your favorite gluten- free filling.
Gluten-Free
Ingredients: water, tapioca flour, whole grain ivory teff flour, whole grain millet flour, canola oil, soy lecithin, colloid powder (cellulose gum, maltodextrin, carrageenan), contains less than 2% of each of the following: guar gum, sea salt, honey, aluminum free leavening (monocalcium phosphate, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch), to maintain freshness (sorbic acid and calcium propionate).
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Umm, they're not low-carb.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Umm, they're not low-carb.
Yes, I realize that, but how low carb do you need when your meal must include some type of flour regardless? Whether it is tapioca, rice, potato, or wheat flour, you are using? I believe it will be a lot less painful than you are thinking. And most of the GF are going to be higher carb than wheat.

For instance, I am on low carb, but I still allow room for carbs for things like a wrap or shell in limitation when necessary. So for instance, if it is 15 carb per tortilla, I will plan around that and cut carbs in other areas. BTW, I don't eat tortilla wraps, but I am addicted to tortilla chips and the very best ones are Brown Rice & Sea Salt Chips GF by Lundberg. And I know exactly how many chips I can have. Although, I love them dearly, I have to count them out before I partake of the treat.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
how low carb do you need.........
Well, I have diabetes. Were Dr Davis' diabetes patients able to eat higher carb as long as they took wheat out of their diet? I requested the book at my library but I'm 7th in the queue.

Quote:
....when your meal must include some type of flour regardless?
I honestly don't feel that any of my meals "must" include some type of flour. Except for pasta , it's rarely the main dish, and everything else--bread, crackers, tortillas, cake, cookies--are just extras that I can substitute or do without.

The tortillas you suggested have 30g carb each and 2 corn tortillas are 16g, so I'd just eat those instead of buying a specialty item.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the suggestion, but I do think GF would be easier without being diabetic!
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4
Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, I am sorry, didn't mean to come across that way.

I thought you said you couldn't eat corn tortillas?
You are right to be very careful with diabetes, I guess I thought you meant that you ate wheat flour tortillas presently, which is what my post was referencing. I haven't read his book, only watched his videos where he does a thorough explanation of his research and the reasons that wheat is dangerous to diabetics. If what Dr. Davis is teaching as shown in his research then I really think it could help many who are dealing with health issues be it diabetes, cardiac, celiac disease or arthritis.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nope, I can eat corn tortillas.
I limit them to just once a week or so, though.

The only flour tortillas I eat are low-carb ones, which have about 6-8g carb.
So I would have to cut them out. But I "invented" some zucchini crepes a while back that are a good substitute.
They started out as a riff on Ouzoid's psyllium tortillas, but then I left the psyllium out and added oat fiber & cheddar cheese.

I'll check out some of Dr Davis' videos while I wait my turn for the book!

Last edited by piratejenny; 01-26-2013 at 07:12 PM..
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would love to know about the zucchini crepes! I zucchini.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here you go!

Recipes & random thoughts
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
GF foods are problematic. In the book, Dr Davis talks about how additives in GF foods (like tapioca flour) are higher on the glycemic index (and therefore prone to cause higher bg surges) than sugar.

I am still experimenting (because I am not diabetic - suspect I am undiagnosed pre-diabetic) and I am beginning to suspect, for me, giving up gluten means giving up gluten. At least until a lot of healing, wonderful bone broth goes down the - ahem - drain. Or I get around to learning how to make my own GF breads.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 330/249/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
GF foods are problematic. In the book, Dr Davis talks about how additives in GF foods (like tapioca flour) are higher on the glycemic index (and therefore prone to cause higher bg surges) than sugar.

I am still experimenting (because I am not diabetic - suspect I am undiagnosed pre-diabetic) and I am beginning to suspect, for me, giving up gluten means giving up gluten. At least until a lot of healing, wonderful bone broth goes down the - ahem - drain. Or I get around to learning how to make my own GF breads.
Almond flour, flaxseed meal, coconut flour are all staples for LCGF woe. I've actually made some pretty good stuff from them....pancakes, muffins, even brownies. I am prediabetic so it keeps my numbers where they should be. I don't eat a lot of this stuff, but it sure is nice to have something bready when I'm in the mood.
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nancy, did you find ADF has helped lower your blood sugar? I will be going in for tests in a couple of weeks and believe that is the case for me. I know before I lost weight I was headed to pre-diabetes.

On PHD site today, Jaminet links this new study about diabetes and the flu. I wish that more research could help us to get a handle on diabetes.

European Commission : CORDIS : Newsroom : Study finds link between flu virus and diabetes onset

Quote:
For almost 40 years, scientists have postulated that viruses could be responsible for diabetes. Type 1 diabetes, for instance, usually sets in just after an infection. However, there evidence confirming this has been insufficient, until now.

According to the researchers, production of a set of inflammatory chemicals was generated by the presence of flu in the pancreatic cells. The chemicals play an important role in autoimmune reactions that result in type 1 diabetes. The New Scientist reported that some researchers believe immune cells present bits of the infected tissue to destructive T-cells, to help them recognise the virus. However, the T-cells also learn to recognise the cells that make insulin, and to destroy them.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #162
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I was diabetic and taking Byeatta injections 2x per day- no more and I'm not even low carb anymore!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I was diabetic and taking Byeatta injections 2x per day- no more and I'm not even low carb anymore!
Carly, that is truly an IF success, if I have ever heard of one. Have you been back to your doc since losing all of this weight and had tests run? I would love to know what they think because I am sure it is nothing short of miraculous.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Nancy, did you find ADF has helped lower your blood sugar?
what is ADF?
google says "a druid fellowship".

I haven't been taking my blood glucose lately, and I opened a new package of test strips this morning, so I don't have a good "control" number to compare to, but it *seems* my bg was 105 this morning.
It's usually around 120-130. That's after just ONE day of no wheat!!!!

(I tested twice with my old strips [which might have been expired/opened more than 90 days ago), and got 130 & 115, then tested twice with my new strips, and got 104 and 106. Since those readings were so close, I'm going to assume this batch of strips is more accurate.)

I'm also going to start monitoring my blood pressure & heart rate again, and will share...maybe on a new thread or in my journal, since this thread is about chilblains!

Last edited by piratejenny; 01-27-2013 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: number correction
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yay Jenny! I have never tested but will certainly begin if my next blood work is not what I hope it to be. I am coming to your journal now.

ADF is alternate day fasting. Apolgies, I forget we have so many different terms for fasting.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lolololol! I should have been able to figure that one out!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
DAWN - I was reading about niacianamide and arthritis and came across this for Reynauds - which I also have - and thought I would see if it was of interest to you, a newsletter called the WrightNewsletter

I would add - I am upping my niacinamide dramatically (250mg every two hours, not time-released) and also switching out my TYPES of magnesium, like using several types at the same time, because apparently it is possible that one or more of them may be less or more likely to be absorbed well by individuals. I use glycinate, citrate, and a magnesium spray as well. Until I get more definitive info on it I figure I should spread my chances of absorption.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cold hands, warm heart

Q: My sister was just diagnosed with Raynaud’s syndrome. I’ve never heard of it before but she tells me it’s not that uncommon. I’m wondering if you can tell me of any alternative treatments for it?

JVW: Raynaud’s syndrome is a specific set of symptoms with no known cause or cure. Named after the French doctor, Maurice Raynaud, who first described it in 1862, Raynaud’s syndrome is characterized by spasms of the small arteries mostly of the fingers and toes.

Attacks generally come on quite suddenly and last anywhere from five minutes to an hour. During an attack, the skin of the hands and feet turn uncharacteristically white and then blue or red. Attacks are precipitated by cold or stress.

I find that in cases involving spasm of any kind, the best treatment is magnesium. Magnesium is highly effective at relaxing muscle and that is precisely what the wall of a blood vessel is, smooth muscle. In my experience, oral magnesium therapy can help but it is not as effective as IV magnesium therapy. Of course your sister will have to find a doctor to help her with that.

Other helpful supplements are niacin (vitamin B3) which also helps relax muscles, and omega-3 fatty acids like that found in cod liver oil. I recommend that your sister find a doctor skilled in natural medicine if she doesn’t have one. Contact the American College for the Advancement of Medicine at (800)532-3688 or go to ACAM Integrative Medicine to find a doctor in her area.

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain

Last edited by C'Marie; 02-10-2013 at 10:08 PM..
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #168
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Thanks C'Marie! I'll look into it. I've been doing 5:2 instead of straight rotations, hoping that would help with my fingers, but I haven't noticed any improvement. I have been maintaining (even losing a bit) effortlessly on 5:2, so it's not a total loss.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #169
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
This recipe sounds wonderful!! I will definitely have to try it (on a UD). Thanks, Jenny!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/169; 5'6", 52 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
I used to be cold all the time. Lowering my carbs and increasing my protein/fat made a big difference in my body temperature.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Oh sweetie..big hugs
and I almost think we should rename this board IFlifestyles or something.

Was anyone around when the main was Atkinsfriends.com not lowcarbfriends? those days are sooooo far away!

I have seen nerd gloves (fingerless heated gloves) that plug into a usb on your pc.
google usb heated fingerless gloves
they are mostly in the $6 to $20 category

found this list of home remedies in a search: (laughing at the potato. imagining a potato day inside and outside)
The part of the body that has chilblains should be elevated. This will reduce the swelling. Stay indoors in a warm room and let the body adjust to the warm room temperature naturally. Only then start with gentle, slow massage.
Grind a few black peppercorns and fry them in a tablespoonful of hot mustard or sesame seed oil. Filter, and while still warm, use this oil for massage. Make sure the skin is not abraded or bruised, or else this will cause pain and inflammation. Helps to cure the chilblains.
A folk remedy is to make a paste with a tablespoonful of honey, glycerine, egg white and wholemeal flour. Spread this over the chilblain and leave it overnight. This forms an insulation from the cold and lets the body heal from within. Wash it off with warm water in the morning. Helps in reducing the chilblains.
Regular massage of hands and feet in winter with any warmed vegetable oil, with a few drops of lemon added, improves circulation. Use the discarded halves of lemons to cup them around fingers and toes, and rub them for a while. Wash off with warm water. Cures your chilblain very quickly.
Soak hands or feet in a warm infusion of marigold flowers to which a spoonful of sea salt has been added.
If you suffer from chilblain use this remedy regularly in winter. Cut a raw onion. Use the cut edge all over the chilblains; let the juice soak into the skin. The severity of itching dies down almost instantly and also helps in reducing the chilblain.
Warm broken wheat or oatmeal porridge can be used to dip the fingers in, as a cure for chilblains.
Slice a potato. Sprinkle some salt on it. Rub it all over the chilblain. Helps to soothe the itching and redness.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #172

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quick update:

I went to 5:2 and the chilblains got a bit better.

When I quit fasting, they went completely away.

However; and a big however it is; the weather also got a lot warmer, so I didn't know which was the bigger factor.

I returned to EOD rotations a week ago. Within two days I had another chilblain. It hasn't improved, and is actually a little worse (on my right ring finger) now, even after record high temperatures this past weekend. Last night I was absolutely freezing. To be fair, I had a pretty low DD and also exercised, resulting in a negative calorie day.

Oy vey! I'm not ready to throw in the towel, as I still want to lose a bit of weight, and JUDDD is the easiest, most enjoyable way to do it. I'm thinking I'll continue with EOD rotations for a while, as long as the chilblains don't get WORSE, and then back off again when I'm at my new goal. If they get worse, I'll have to reconsider.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #173
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Be careful and please don't let them get any worse!!!!!!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Oh goodness, I am SO sorry to hear Juddd seems to make them appear! Do be careful, Dawn. You look great already, but I do understand wanting to get a bit lower. Does doing a bit higher DD numbers ease them a bit? Maybe evern 5:2/4:3ish with higher DD and just a slower loss? I hate for you to be miserable and those things sound terrible!
Flutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #175
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Darnit! I'm so sorry to hear that Dawn. I don't want our beloved JUDDD to be the cause of that, but the circumstantial evidence is certainly there. Do take care!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Rats! So sorry a chilblain has reappeared. Keep us posted how it goes ... luckily you have a variety of options open to you and any additional loss now is gravy for your svelte self.
calichris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #177
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: VioletsGrandMom
Stats: 253/232/180
WOE: Atkins Jan2012/JUDDD since October 2012
Start Date: January12Restart5/14
I hope you feel better soon.
VioletsGrandMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #178
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Dawn, I'm sorry to hear that you are still having trouble with this. I know you will figure out the best way to handle it. I also want to comfort you a bit about the freezing DD. It's been extremely warm here too, but I went to bed with my sweat pants and a sweat shirt, and socks on my DD and the temperature (A/C) was set on 78. So that may not be just you, lol.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Dawn, I've been thinking about this. I don't have a suggestion, just some observations to share from my own experience that might have some correspondences. (They may be completely irrelevant.)

I sustained a number of injuries in an RTA 4 years ago. From time to time, particularly when I'm due a migraine, the traumatised soft tissues will re-bruise and swell slightly (mostly round my face/head).

I have a lot of inflammation from my kayaking mishap and it's on quite a large scale. For the last couple of days, not only has my face swollen/rebruised and started twitching (oh, yes, I'm quite the looker - think Mrs Rochester in her attic), but the tissue round my previous injury sites has inflamed and shows some bruising.

To me, it's as if the inflammasomes caused by the mishap injury have somehow re-irritated and stirred up the injured tissue that had died down in inflammation terms, rather than fully healed.

I wonder if you have chronically quiescent chilblains, if you see what I mean, and when you're exposed to cold or temperature variation (which can be physiologic, and related to the cold of fasting as well as physical and related to the environment) the stress of the fasting triggers your inflammation markers and stirs up conditions such as the chilblains?

I was wondering about the correspondences because both of us appear to be non-responders to the Pterostilbene and neither of us seems to have experienced the sensation of JUDDD magic or SIRT1s kicking in?

I should say here that I think JUDDD and other fasting patterns are fascinating and have many positive aspects. I think it's interesting to observe cases where odd effects seem to crop up.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #180

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Wow, you are a deep one, SlowSure.

What you say does make good sense. How very intriguing.

I have relatively mild Raynauds and do notice the physiologic numbing on occasion.

Dawn I hope this doesn't deteriorate enough to make you have to stop IF altogether, although I know you did okay maintaing on the other plan. (Mind has gone blank.)
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote