Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
29 Weeks on JUDDD -- Slow, Steady, Sublime

Today I weighed in at 254 lbs, for a loss of 1 lb this week, 36 lbs total, 32 of them on JUDDD.

I'm still wrestling my up days under control but I'm doing better. Instead of every up day turning into an up up and away day, it's now more like every other up day, so I'm not surprised at the slow progress, but totally thrilled that there is progress and it's relatively painless, at that. So here's the skinny:

Downsides

Eat Like Normal? No. Supposedly, one can do JUDDD by counting calories one day and eating normally the next. Whatever that means. Well, I can tell you what that means for me, because that's exactly what I did in November and December. It means eating 4,000 calories or more. (I dared to count, just once, out of curiosity. But usually once I hit 3k I'm done counting.) The truth is, I lost weight anyway, just more slowly. But now that I'm being mindful, it's clear that counting is essential because you can be surprised in nasty ways. Why, the other day I ate a McDonald's platter for breakfast. The calorie count was 1300. For breakfast! The good news is, I couldn't finish it. The bad news is, there's a lot of calories lurking out there, folks.

Hungry Up Days. The difficulty in taming my up days is not that I just can't control myself and am stuffing my face to the point of bloating discomfort. I'm not binge eating. (Trust me, I've done that a lot in my life, I would admit it if that was the case.) The difficulty seems to be that my body is aware of what's going on here and some days it just wants the extra calories. It's not fun to be rummaging through the fridge for diet food on an up day--but I've been doing a little bit of planning in advance so that I'm not caught unarmed if I have an up day when the savage beast cannot be tamed.

Upsides

Tea. On down days, I drink a lot of tea to get me through hunger. (Yes, newbies, I know you think this won't work, and probably at first, it won't, but eventually, it's quite helpful.) Because of this, I've started to explore all sorts of different tea flavors and varieties. I've discovered that I do not like Darjeeling, adore Earl Grey, hate chamomile, and love ginger peach. It's been fun to experiment!

Easier Down Days. Yesterday was downright pleasant and super productive. I was even able to drop down to 250 calories. Just wasn't hungry enough to need more. Love when that happens!

Romance. Last night I was eating dinner with DH while a gourmet cooking show was on and he said how he would love to find the best restaurants in our area--or even in our region--and make romantic trips out of them on up days to experience new tastes and cuisines and see new places. Maybe once a month or every other month, he said. Normally, I would have glared at him like a gorgon for suggesting such a thing when he knows I need to lose weight. But because of JUDDD, I realized it might be possible, and that I could actually open myself up to being romanced this way. Mind you, I'm not sure we'll actually do this, because of the projected expense and the fact that I don't even have time to do laundry right now much less plan a day trip to a nearby city with a swanky restaurant...but the fact that I could do it made me so happy! JUDDD opens new horizons and lets you live your life RIGHT NOW.

Happy Joints. One of the many things that had me considering weight loss surgery is the fact that my knees had started hurting whenever I went up or downstairs. I got tired easily shopping in the store. Even though I was exercising (a lot more than now, in fact), everything was so hard. Now I am flying up and down the stairs with ease and my knees haven't hurt in months.

Stopping When Full. You probably won't believe me when I say this, given how many hungry up days have wormed their way into my life, but I can't actually remember the last time I ate to the point of uncomfortable fullness. Maybe this means that my stomach is simply super stretchy. But I think I am actually healing a bit in terms of appetite. I would have finished that McDonald's breakfast plate without qualm in the past. But these days, unless I'm really enjoying something, I'm not in much danger of eating past satiety.

Last edited by stephdray; 01-23-2013 at 08:35 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Your lovely updates just get more and more interesting. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for all of us, everyone, new and old benefits from your clear thinking.

Learning to stop eating when full is an amazing thing. Sometimes even now I will over eat, but generally my body knows when I have had enough.

Maybe one day we will learn to eat like normal, but if that was easy, none of us would need to be here in the first place. It is one area where Dr J and I are in disagreement. Most of us had forgotten what it meant to eat normally.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I love this Steph! Especially the part about Romance. What a sweet DH to even think of something like that. I hope you can make some of those trips, even if only a couple of times a year. What a lovely thing to look forward to!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Your lovely updates just get more and more interesting. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for all of us, everyone, new and old benefits from your clear thinking.
Trust me, the benefit is all on my side. It forces me to be accountable. It certainly helped me climb back on the wagon after the holidays because I didn't want to have to report to everyone that I was a slothful glutton!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/151/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I have to count both UD's and DD's as well. I love eating out and really it is amazing how many calories are in my favourite restaurant meals. Even at home I can easily eat too many calories if I am not conscious of my choices. I still make very indulgent choices but I try to plan around them so I can have what I like and have the weight loss or at least not the gain. One thing that has been really helping me with my UD hunger/calorie count is having a potato meal(from the hack). I have three potatoes for lunch with malt vinegar, garlic hot sauce and salt which is only about 350 cals and I am full and able to go to dinner later with lots of calories left over but I am not hungry like I would be with a different light lunch. I am sure this is not for everyone but i only mention it as it has been extremely helpful for me.
I love your DH's plan to go to the best restaurants in the areas around you! Happy JUDDDing!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I love this Steph! Especially the part about Romance. What a sweet DH to even think of something like that. I hope you can make some of those trips, even if only a couple of times a year. What a lovely thing to look forward to!
My white knight is the real hero of my personal romance novel
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
My white knight is the real hero of my personal romance novel
alright, I really am going to have to pick up your books. This is absolutely precious!

Love your updates, thanks for sharing! I keep referring to them to see if I'm going crazy or someone's btdt. Sometimes I'm sorry you have had to, but I'm grateful you posted you have! (like right now, I've just started hungry UDs...which still feel really weird!)

Anyhoo, THANKS and keep rockin on!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #8

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I love your DH. If I wasn't so darned happy with mine, you might have to look out!

Love this week's update.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
alright, I really am going to have to pick up your books. This is absolutely precious!
*laugh* Go for IN BED WITH THE OPPOSITION by Stephanie Draven

It's my cutest book. The others are dark and sometimes depraved.

Quote:
Love your updates, thanks for sharing! I keep referring to them to see if I'm going crazy or someone's btdt. Sometimes I'm sorry you have had to, but I'm grateful you posted you have! (like right now, I've just started hungry UDs...which still feel really weird!)

Anyhoo, THANKS and keep rockin on!
Hungry up days are weird! Especially when I can remember so vividly those times when I couldn't eat up all my calories. But in a way, I think it makes sense. My theory is that there's only so long you can trick your body into not noticing that you're operating at a huge calorie deficit.

It knows and is just as tricksy as you are.

So maybe I'll try to trick it another way, with potatoes, the way Babs suggests above.

Last edited by stephdray; 01-23-2013 at 10:49 AM..
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I love your DH. If I wasn't so darned happy with mine, you might have to look out!

Love this week's update.
I'm a lucky woman! Yesterday he "fixed" the wash machine, saving us thousands of dollars. Then, at 1:30am I awakened to the sound of the sump pump going off over and over again. I shook him awake and told him that I'd put in a load of laundry before bed. He went downstairs to check...

Then came back upstairs and announced, "Well, the utility room is flooding. Suit up!"

So there we were, bailing water together in the wee hours of the morning because he had improperly attached a clamp to the hose in the wash machine. That's true love right there...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
*laugh* Go for IN BED WITH THE OPPOSITION by Stephanie Draven

It's my cutest book. The others are dark and sometimes depraved.

Hungry up days are weird! Especially when I can remember so vividly those times when I couldn't eat up all my calories. But in a way, I think it makes sense. My theory is that there's only so long you can trick your body into not noticing that you're operating at a huge calorie deficit.

It knows and is just as tricksy as you are.So maybe I'll try to trick it another way, with potatoes, the way Babs suggests above.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will! Although, dark & depraved could be fun, too.

I agree on the bod catching on to our tricks! Do let us know if you try the potato one. I've been tempted, but only in my 3rd month and really just trying to trust JUDDD & keep plugging along. It's nice to know there are other tricks to pull out of the bag, though!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm a lucky woman! Yesterday he "fixed" the wash machine, saving us thousands of dollars. Then, at 1:30am I awakened to the sound of the sump pump going off over and over again. I shook him awake and told him that I'd put in a load of laundry before bed. He went downstairs to check...

Then came back upstairs and announced, "Well, the utility room is flooding. Suit up!"
So there we were, bailing water together in the wee hours of the morning because he had improperly attached a clamp to the hose in the wash machine. That's true love right there...

Rolling here!!! This JUST happened at my house the other day, too! Did he really say, "suit up?" O.M.W.

(so so sorry for the flood, though! I know what a mess that is!)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post

Rolling here!!! This JUST happened at my house the other day, too! Did he really say, "suit up?" O.M.W.

(so so sorry for the flood, though! I know what a mess that is!)
Yes, he really did. I think he hoped the overt reference to HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER would soften the blow :P
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/151/145
Start Date: March 2012
Hi Flutter, the full potato hack was a bit too many potatoes for me but it did prove to me that plain potatoes are filling! I never would have realized this after following Atkins for decades. I was more than a little sceptical. I find that even one meal of them kills my hunger for many hours. I know this isn't the case for everyone and probably does the opposite for some but potatoes have combined with JUDDD and other food very well just not at the same meal.
I am off to look up Stephanie Draven books.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Steph, I love your candid and insightful updates! Thanks for sharing your journey.

I was very resistant to counting cals when I first started JUDDD but I doubt I'd succeed without doing.

This week, for example, I was just about to make some toast because I thought I was way down on my UD calories. However, when I bothered to tot up the day's total, I was already slightly over.

Conversely, the next UD, I didn't get round to adding them up till bedtime, only to find that I'd only eaten 980 all day. We'd no bread and I'd run out of nuts. I was running around in a panic, wondering whether to eat some muesli, a huge chunk of cheese, or what on earth to eat reasonably sensibly at midnight. Then DH calmly asked, “Would a glass or two of wine work?” Now that's what I call family JUDDD support!!

I read Sleeping with the Enemy last weekend and really enjoyed it. Great fun! I'd love to read Lily of the Nile but I need large print nowadays. Is there any chance it will be available on Kindle soon?
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Steph, I love your candid and insightful updates! Thanks for sharing your journey.

I was very resistant to counting cals when I first started JUDDD but I doubt I'd succeed without doing.

This week, for example, I was just about to make some toast because I thought I was way down on my UD calories. However, when I bothered to tot up the day's total, I was already slightly over.
Been there, done that!

Quote:
Conversely, the next UD, I didn't get round to adding them up till bedtime, only to find that I'd only eaten 980 all day.
Rarely do that :P

Quote:
We'd no bread and I'd run out of nuts. I was running around in a panic, wondering whether to eat some muesli, a huge chunk of cheese, or what on earth to eat reasonably sensibly at midnight. Then DH calmly asked, “Would a glass or two of wine work?” Now that's what I call family JUDDD support!!
I see you've got your own personal romance hero, too!

Quote:
I read Sleeping with the Enemy last weekend and really enjoyed it. Great fun! I'd love to read Lily of the Nile but I need large print nowadays. Is there any chance it will be available on Kindle soon?
All my books are available on Kindle, including LILY. That one, though, is not a romance, I warn you. There might be tears. You might have to have some chocolate nearby, so read it on an up day
Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post

Love this week's update.
Yup! I do to- good thing your DH is a DH or you may have to watch out for me too (but I love my DW so I'll keep her for now )
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Enjoy hearing from you Steph. I will be ordering some of your books for our library soon.

UD woes: I went through the first two months without really counting thinking that I'd surely not go over, but after counting for the last week or so, I realized that yes indeed the calories are lurking out there! Could be why my loss has been so slow, lol.

KUTGW!!!
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Just finished a marathon read session using the links compiled into one thread (THANK YOU for that) and its been really great to read through your journey. I see many similarities between our stories - the deprivation leading to binges, the perpetual lifelong diet, etc. Your stories have given me hope! And a new author to add to my ever expanding Kindle library. I'll start with the one you suggest above, then go from there
For me, your story has given me reassurance that its ok to have an Oops, or UUAD, and all isn't lost. I have 2 events coming up - a road race where the finisher's "medal" is a gigantic cup filled with hot chocolate, chocolates bars, fondue & dipping items - honestly, how cool is that? The race is March 3rd and I was already in a panic over how to make that work with Atkins. Now I dont have to freak out! The second is a trip to Disneyland for my son's 3rd birthday. I feel so much more confident on how I will handle both those events! I get to lose, and live my life!!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Then DH calmly asked, “Would a glass or two of wine work?” Now that's what I call family JUDDD support!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
UD woes: I went through the first two months without really counting thinking that I'd surely not go over, but after counting for the last week or so, I realized that yes indeed the calories are lurking out there! Could be why my loss has been so slow, lol.
You crack me up Cindy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Just finished a marathon read session using the links compiled into one thread (THANK YOU for that) and its been really great to read through your journey. I see many similarities between our stories - the deprivation leading to binges, the perpetual lifelong diet, etc. Your stories have given me hope! And a new author to add to my ever expanding Kindle library. I'll start with the one you suggest above, then go from there
For me, your story has given me reassurance that its ok to have an Oops, or UUAD, and all isn't lost. I have 2 events coming up - a road race where the finisher's "medal" is a gigantic cup filled with hot chocolate, chocolates bars, fondue & dipping items - honestly, how cool is that? The race is March 3rd and I was already in a panic over how to make that work with Atkins. Now I dont have to freak out! The second is a trip to Disneyland for my son's 3rd birthday. I feel so much more confident on how I will handle both those events! I get to lose, and live my life!!!
Yennie this is such a great insight. I know you are going to just love this way of living and losing.

So, thanks again Steph.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Steph: Congrats on being 36 pounds down! This is awesome!

Now, inquiring minds want to know: Did you get rid of the pants with safety pins holding them up? Any new fashion news?
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
All my books are available on Kindle, including LILY. That one, though, is not a romance, I warn you. There might be tears. You might have to have some chocolate nearby, so read it on an up day
Just checked again but it's not listed for Amazon UK. I did click the button to request Kindle format from the publisher.

Romance novels are not normally my thing but I really enjoyed Sleeping with the Enemy. It was witty and well written and the characters weren't cardboard cutouts. I hope your S.Dray books are soon available on UK Kindle too!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #23

I have been doing that for a while Flossyliz I did get the free download a few weeks ago, well it wasn't free in the UK, but very cheap. Steph will remind us of the title...
Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Just checked again but it's not listed for Amazon UK. I did click the button to request Kindle format from the publisher.
Oh, I didn't realize! Yes, I think this is because I haven't sold it to a UK publisher yet. Berkley Books (A division of Penguin Group) holds all North American rights and a bunch of English speaking territories. I've sold it to a bunch of other countries including Brazil, The Czech Republic, Serbia, Turkey, etc. But the UK has been a holdout. It didn't occur to me that they would enforce that in digital format. I'll ask my agent if there's a way around this!

Quote:
Romance novels are not normally my thing but I really enjoyed IN BED WITH THE OPPOSITION. It was witty and well written and the characters weren't cardboard cutouts.
Thank you so much! I have decided I'm going to start naming heroines after my heroes on the JUDDD boards because you're all so inspirational!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #25

I do hope you can get it sorted I loved the YA start of the series...
Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I downloaded & read "In bed with the opposition" as my I'm sick & I deserve this treat. Read it all, and loved it. I liked the setting, the political backdrop, and I adore the female lead . I can't really say my favorite part because it would be a spoiler alert, but to be vague I'm glad she finally said No.
Will be downloading more books soon.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have decided I'm going to start naming heroines after my heroes on the JUDDD boards because you're all so inspirational!
Your new heroines are going to be super-wonderful, inspiring, loyal, intelligent, pioneering, experimental, wise, supportive, loving, generous, broad-minded, friendly, brave, well-informed, funny ..... among other superlative qualities. They'll probably also eat lots of cabbage!

I hope your agent can prevail with the UK publishers.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Your new heroines are going to be super-wonderful, inspiring, loyal, intelligent, pioneering, experimental, wise, supportive, loving, generous, broad-minded, friendly, brave, well-informed, funny ..... among other superlative qualities. They'll probably also eat lots of cabbage!

I hope your agent can prevail with the UK publishers.
And Potato's
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #29

Oh I love my JBs, you all make me laugh so much....
Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
And Potato's
Don't forget chili and wine.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote