Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Alternating high and low DDs?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/795061-alternating-high-low-dds.html)

Lychee 01-21-2013 09:50 PM

Alternating high and low DDs??

I'm probably getting ahead of myself and over thinking, but... On the website it gives me up day / down day calories of:
1598/320 for little to no exercise
1832/366 for light exercise
2065/413 for moderate exercise
2298/460 for heavy exercise.
I stay at home with two kids right now. Carry the baby lots, ride a kick scooter or bike or walk to get around, work out 60 to 90 minutes on my arc trainer (similar to elliptical) almost every day. But I don't want to overestimate, so I was using the "light" exercise figures. But that number for down days is super hard for me. I can do 500 and maybe I can do zero but in between is super hard. I want to have one proper meal that's not just a tiny snack or bowl of lettuce with no dressing. So I'm considering alternating so that every other or every third DD I fast completely apart from some lemon juice. Anyone do anything like that?
I haven't been at this for very long so probably I should just wait and see if I can just lose at a satisfactory rate at 500 calories on DDs, to see if I can break through the lowest weight that I've been bouncing back up from I don't know how many times in the last six months... I'm just eager. :o

svenskamae 01-22-2013 02:14 AM

I'm kind of a newbie myself (started JUDDD on October 25, 2012), but I suggest that you go with 500 calorie DDs and stay with that as long as you need to (which might be forever), while keeping you up days on the low side for the amount of exercise you do. Would 500 calorie DDs and 1832 UD be workable for you, do you think?

I have 300ish calorie DDs sometimes and 500ish calorie DDs sometimes, just depending on how hungry I am that day. I can't see that I do a whole lot better in terms of weightloss to go below 500 on hungry days, and that sure seems easier to face as a DD max.

DDs do seem to get easier for many people over time, and if you eventually just aren't hungry on a DD, you can always go lower than 500 if you don't need that many calories.

Flossyliz 01-22-2013 04:44 AM

Lychee it's early days and should get easier. Dr Johnson's guidelines are to get the sirtuin established. Don't make it complicated.

If 500 cal DDs are doable, then that's great! Stick to that for now. You can reduce your DD cals gradually over time as it gets easler - or you might be doing so well you don't need to!

While juggling DD numbers, it's easy to forget that they are only half of the formula. If 500 DDs are no problem, put your focus on keeping your UDs no higher than 1832 instead.

Lychee 01-22-2013 10:41 AM

Thanks all. 500 on DDs and 1650 to 1850 on UDs feels generous. I was just worried about the DDs not being low enough. 350 just seems super hard even if I'm only having one meal. If I'm going to eat I want to have something real.

LoCarbGal 01-22-2013 12:36 PM

I know what you're saying. Lower DDs seem harder to me than just fasting altogether. I actually think your idea of alternating sounds good, but like the others, I'd stick to 500 days until you see how you lose that way. You may do amazingly well at that level and not have to shift for quite some time.

Flossyliz 01-22-2013 12:36 PM

I just had a huge bowlful of homemade celery and pepper soup with fat-free Greek yogurt for dinner. Only 110 calories, real food, filling and delicious. :yummy:
Have a look at the DD meal suggestions threads.

Lychee 01-22-2013 08:58 PM

Thanks Flossyliz. I've tried making vegetable soup with all non starchy vegetables and no added oils, but I still ended up at just over 400 calories, I think. I've looked at the DD meal thread, but I'm combining this intermittent fasting idea with a diet that's quite specific in that I eat high raw, vegan, no grains, no legumes, no refined carbs, no processed products (with the exception only of unsweetened almond milk and shiratake noodles). I just don't like to have a couple little snacks, just leaves me wanting more.

gotsomeold 01-23-2013 06:09 AM

It is early days. I encourage you to stay at 500 calorie DDs for at least two weeks.

Figure out what, if any, foods trigger hunger. Develop some SIRTs. Incorporate roltations into your lifestyle. Develop some more SIRTs.

After that, experimentation is good. I never have managed to fast all day. But I bounced between 100 and 600 calories (usually landed on 500) for my first 35ish pounds. And thrived on it.

There are people who fast completely every DD and thrive.

zipp2play 01-23-2013 06:13 AM

I have DD ranges! If I am really struggling, I have a higher DD! I have never been like many here who can function on 300 or so calories. I have never had a DD under 500c and most DD's aren't below 600c. I can't concentrate some DD's at work and that can't happen. I have to eat so I can function sometimes. I also have to be very careful with my bloodsugar. On DD's I can crash hard and that isn't good for me or anyone around me!

I get in 5 miles a day 5 times a week and do weight training! I say, follow what your body is telling you!