Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   2 brand new books on IF (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/794791-2-brand-new-books-if.html)

Whitlin' 01-18-2013 10:54 AM

2 brand new books on IF
 
Jade's post yesterday on Dr. Mosley's book hit home this morning when I noticed that in today's Mercola newsletter, Dr. Mercola recommends 2 brand spanking new books that he says show that intermittent fasting is becoming mainstream. He was very complimentary of them both, and gave news videos for each, neither of which I had seen.

The first is The Fast Diet – the secret of intermittent fasting: lose weight, stay healthy, live longer, January 2013, by Dr. Michael Mosley. (Dr. Mosley was the presenter on the Horizon BBC special, “Eat, Fast and Live Longer”, which was recommended in many posts on this site.) Here is the recent BBC news video on the new book.

The second is The 8-hour Diet, December, 2012, by David Zinczenko and Peter Moore, both of Men's Health Magazine fame. Here is the recent Today Show news video.

I don't know how long these video links will stay current, but maybe the titles and authors will still yield these video results on youtube in the future.

One important point I see is that with Dr. James Johnson's book, The Alternate Day Diet, these two newly introduced books, and other books on the subject, we have credibility when we run into someone who is poorly informed and still thinks intermittent fasting or alternate day dieting is somehow unhealthy. We can be well-armed with the info that respected health professionals are published on this way of eating, it's a responsible way of eating, and we can be proud of it as a health choice.

mom23kids 01-18-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitlin' (Post 16204437)
Jade's post yesterday on Dr. Mosley's book hit home this morning when I noticed that in today's Mercola newsletter, Dr. Mercola recommends 2 brand spanking new books that he says show that intermittent fasting is becoming mainstream. He was very complimentary of them both, and gave news videos for each, neither of which I had seen.

The first is The Fast Diet – the secret of intermittent fasting: lose weight, stay healthy, live longer, January 2013, by Dr. Michael Mosley. (Dr. Mosley was the presenter on the Horizon BBC special, “Eat, Fast and Live Longer”, which was recommended in many posts on this site.) Here is the recent BBC news video on the new book.

The second is The 8-hour Diet, December, 2012, by David Zinczenko and Peter Moore, both of Men's Health Magazine fame.

I don't know how long these video links will stay current, but maybe the titles and authors will still yield these video results on youtube in the future.

One important point I see is that with Dr. James Johnson's book, The Alternate Day Diet, these two newly introduced books, and other books on the subject, we have credibility when we run into someone who is poorly informed and still thinks intermittent fasting or alternate day dieting is somehow unhealthy. We can be well-armed with the info that respected health professionals are published on this way of eating, it's a responsible way of eating, and we can be proud of it as a health choice.

I'm very excited to read both of these books!

sterlinggirl 01-18-2013 11:09 AM

:goodpost: ANd i so agree on the part where you said.. "we can be proud of it as a health choice" .. It feels good to have books out there to help support what we have all learned over here living JUDDD~

Whitlin' 01-18-2013 11:31 AM

Thank You to the adminstrators, who pointed out that one of the video links was not what I intended. It's working correctly now!

Right, Kimberly - these authors support what we have learned while living JUDDD. Well said. (Btw, your success is so inspiring.)

mom23kids 01-18-2013 11:44 AM

Just watched both interviews-really good stuff!

sdjade 01-18-2013 11:51 AM

I watched the Matt L video. I love that he says "are you sure you want to stand behind this?" and David Z is like "hey, have a second ribeye". :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't think Matt is going to give it a go. Too many years of "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" stuff. :doh:

SlimNana 01-18-2013 12:43 PM

:goodpost: Thanks so much for posting these links Whitlin'!

I'm looking forward to The Fast Diet book being released in the US at the end of Feb., so I can share the health benefits with family and friends. I already pretty much do the 8 hour diet plan combined with JUDDD. :up:

hot-in-texas 01-18-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimNana (Post 16204644)
:goodpost: Thanks so much for posting these links Whitlin'!

I'm looking forward to The Fast Diet book being released in the US at the end of Feb., so I can share the health benefits with family and friends. I already pretty much do the 8 hour diet plan combined with JUDDD. :up:

Makes me feel "cutting edge" lol

sunday 01-18-2013 01:06 PM

Thank you Whitlin. Great to hear!

Please come back and review Sarah! You are the fastest JUDDD budd reader. :high5:

mom23kids 01-18-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16204702)
Thank you Whitlin. Great to hear!

Please come back and review Sarah! You are the fastest JUDDD budd reader. :high5:

:laugh:

sunday 01-18-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16204746)
:laugh:

:) I envy you. :D

mom23kids 01-18-2013 01:55 PM

Ok, I've been reading/watching everything I could find about the 5:2 plan today and I've decided to try it for two weeks and see what happens :) Today I'm doing a 500ish calorie DD, so I'll start tomorrow with an UD but I won't count calories (just eat as I want). I'm going to make Mondays and Thursdays my DDs during the experiment and I'm also going to divide my 500 DD calories into two meals like Michael does, to try and recreate what he did as close as possible :)

I'm about 10lbs from my goal weight and I'm a bit nervous about cutting out DDs-hopefully I won't gain weight at the end of the experiment lol. But, I'm curious to see if fewer DDs still result in weight loss. I'm also very interested in this for when I hit maintenance. In an interview Michael said he's now in maintenance and only does one DD a week/6 normal eating days. That's pretty impressive!

Wish me luck :laugh:

Carly 01-18-2013 02:33 PM

Good luck Sara- I can't wait to here how it goes. I have to check out the links this weekend.

Librarygirl 01-18-2013 04:20 PM

I listened to the Whole Foods CEO/Owner in an interview yesterday and he kept saying that people have to break their addiction to bad food and stop thinking that it is a sacrafice to eat healthy. He said he is a vegan and really enjoys his meals. He came off as a pompous know it all, LOL. Seems he also said (a part I didn't hear) something about Obama being a fascist, and THAT didn't go over well. :D

Librarygirl 01-18-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16204807)
Ok, I've been reading/watching everything I could find about the 5:2 plan today and I've decided to try it for two weeks and see what happens :) Today I'm doing a 500ish calorie DD, so I'll start tomorrow with an UD but I won't count calories (just eat as I want). I'm going to make Mondays and Thursdays my DDs during the experiment and I'm also going to divide my 500 DD calories into two meals like Michael does, to try and recreate what he did as close as possible :)

I'm about 10lbs from my goal weight and I'm a bit nervous about cutting out DDs-hopefully I won't gain weight at the end of the experiment lol. But, I'm curious to see if fewer DDs still result in weight loss. I'm also very interested in this for when I hit maintenance. In an interview Michael said he's now in maintenance and only does one DD a week/6 normal eating days. That's pretty impressive!

Wish me luck :laugh:

How is that possible?? I hope it works for you!!!

Eieio 01-18-2013 04:47 PM

Wow mom!
Very interesting!
We r watching u!
Loved the videos.
Thank y

Babsbabs 01-18-2013 06:14 PM

I am interested to see how fewer DD's work too! I have the feeling I would gain, but it would be great if it works!

Lyric's Mom 01-18-2013 07:57 PM

I've been doing 5:2 plan with great success for maintenance. Didn't think to try it for weight loss but that's only because I didn't know about it. I LOVE it and just pick any two days during the week as long as they're not consecutive. Gives me so much freedom and room to eat "normally" most of the time. :)

Sammyann 01-19-2013 03:48 AM

My sister tried the 8 Hour Diet for a week and gained weight. She wasn't willing to stick with it any longer to see if it would kick in. She switched to JUDDD and lost 5 lbs her first week. She was really close to goal so she's now thinking of trying only 2 down days now to see if she can keep losing the last couple pounds slowly.

jenericstewart 01-19-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16204807)
...I'm about 10lbs from my goal weight and I'm a bit nervous about cutting out DDs-hopefully I won't gain weight at the end of the experiment lol. But, I'm curious to see if fewer DDs still result in weight loss. I'm also very interested in this for when I hit maintenance...

If anything, I think it's probably good for helping to keep one's metabolism stoked. Keeping your body guessing is a good thing when dieting. :D

gotsomeold 01-19-2013 04:11 AM

I started JUDDD because the science made sense to me, because the format allowed me freedom to experiment with different foods, and because it comes with a built-in maintenance protocol. Soon after I started, studies began pouring onto the internet. Golly, this may be the first time in my life I have been mainstream! Keep 'em coming! The freedom to try different IF/low calorie eating patterns until we each find the one that works best for us really is science-based magic!

mom23kids 01-19-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16205564)
I started JUDDD because the science made sense to me, because the format allowed me freedom to experiment with different foods, and because it comes with a built-in maintenance protocol. Soon after I started, studies began pouring onto the internet. Golly, this may be the first time in my life I have been mainstream! Keep 'em coming! The freedom to try different IF/low calorie eating patterns until we each find the one that works best for us really is science-based magic!

Me too :laugh:

Ok, I weighed in this morning at a new low, so now I'm really nervous about trying the 5:2 plan lol. But, I'm going to go ahead and try it for two weeks and see what happens :) I'm officially starting today with a weight of 144lbs. My 500 calorie DDs will be Mondays and Thursdays. I will only weigh myself after the DDs. My last day of the experiment will be Friday, February 1st, when I weigh in that morning, after my 4th DD. Now, if I did my math right I'm only going to be cutting out two DDs from my normal rotations, over the course of the two week experiment? Going from 6 DDs to 4. It will be interesting to see what this does for weight loss/gain.

My UDs will be how I normally eat-I will not count calories but I try and aim for 1,700-2,000 calories. One of the articles I read said women should eat around 2,000 calories on their 'normal' days, so I'll be in line with that.

Ok, here I go :D

Librarygirl 01-19-2013 05:52 AM

I watched both videos and was impressed. What begs the question is this: as a JUDDDer, I am fasting EVERY other day and I'm not seeing the benefits or weight loss that he describes is possible doing it only 2 days a week.:dunno:

Then, the 8 hour diet is even more facinating. I could lose 5 lbs a week just by eating within an 8 hour window for three days a week? To me, JUDDD is extremely restrictive (even if you get used to it and enjoy it), and not even half as effective IF these videos are to be believed.:dunno::stars:

mom23kids 01-19-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16205664)
Sara, is this a plan for maintenance only or can it be done to lose weight as well? I doubt I could eat 2000 calories every day but two and lose. Perhaps I should watch the videos? ;)

This is actually the weight loss plan part of the 5:2, from what I could gather from the articles/interviews I read and watched (I read several, from wikipedia, to the links posted above). In the interview Michael said now that he's at his goal weight he's actually down to just one DD a week now, to maintain weight. How is this possible-I don't know :dunno:

I'm doing the experiment to see if A. I can still lose weight doing just two 500 calorie DDs a week and B. see if my weight loss stalls, but I stay at my current weight and maintain.

Dottie 01-19-2013 06:18 AM

He kept saying things like "eat all you want as long as it's within that window" then would say "it's not a license to gorge" and "you wont be able to eat 3000 calories in 8 hours" (I beg to differ, a good serving of lasagna with garlic bread, salad and wine comes awfully close to that lol).
I grabbed the book on my kindle, haven't read it yet (I think I have an addiction to diet books not food :laugh: )but watching the video those comments he made were conflicting each other, so I'm interested in reading the book and not just the "high points" he could fit into the interview time slot.

mom23kids 01-19-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16205726)
He kept saying things like "eat all you want as long as it's within that window" then would say "it's not a license to gorge" and "you wont be able to eat 3000 calories in 8 hours" (I beg to differ, a good serving of lasagna with garlic bread, salad and wine comes awfully close to that lol).
I grabbed the book on my kindle, haven't read it yet (I think I have an addiction to diet books not food :laugh: )but watching the video those comments he made were conflicting each other, so I'm interested in reading the book and not just the "high points" he could fit into the interview time slot.

I watched that and kept thinking-I could eat a LOT of calories in an 8 hour window :stars: I like the 5 hour window idea better, which is talked about in the ebook The Fast 5 diet by Bert Herring, MD (you can print it off for free from the author's website)

KeirasMom 01-19-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16205658)
Me too :laugh:

Ok, I weighed in this morning at a new low, so now I'm really nervous about trying the 5:2 plan lol. But, I'm going to go ahead and try it for two weeks and see what happens :) I'm officially starting today with a weight of 144lbs. My 500 calorie DDs will be Mondays and Thursdays. I will only weigh myself after the DDs. My last day of the experiment will be Friday, February 1st, when I weigh in that morning, after my 4th DD. Now, if I did my math right I'm only going to be cutting out two DDs from my normal rotations, over the course of the two week experiment? Going from 6 DDs to 4. It will be interesting to see what this does for weight loss/gain.

My UDs will be how I normally eat-I will not count calories but I try and aim for 1,700-2,000 calories. One of the articles I read said women should eat around 2,000 calories on their 'normal' days, so I'll be in line with that.

Ok, here I go :D

I'll be following your progress with interest. I've been looking at the 5:2 plan for maintenance, and I'm doing semi-maintenance now, so I'm really interested in this. I've also read a bit about the 8 hour diet, but I think I could easily go over my calories every day.

mom23kids 01-19-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16205907)
I'll be following your progress with interest. I've been looking at the 5:2 plan for maintenance, and I'm doing semi-maintenance now, so I'm really interested in this. I've also read a bit about the 8 hour diet, but I think I could easily go over my calories every day.

I started a new thread about my experiment in the 'Other Plans' section, and I'll update there as I go along :) I'm also very interested in doing this plan for when I go into maintenance. It's so similar to JUDDD, which is a big plus for me :)

Librarygirl 01-19-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16205907)
I'll be following your progress with interest. I've been looking at the 5:2 plan for maintenance, and I'm doing semi-maintenance now, so I'm really interested in this. I've also read a bit about the 8 hour diet, but I think I could easily go over my calories every day.

According to the video, you only need to do the 8-hour diet for 3 days a week, and the rest of the week eat normally. I'm not sure how or why anyone would eat more than they normally do just because it's an 8 hour window. It's not much longer fasting that we do anyway on JUDDD is it? About 14 hours to my estimation. The only thing I wouldn't like is not having coffee with cream in the morning... I might try it!

ETA: Next week instead of M/W/F DD's I'm going to try 8-hour windows...starting at 11 and ending at 7. During that 8 hours I will eat 1800 calories and see what happens by the end of the week. :)

Dottie 01-19-2013 08:56 AM

I found an interesting blog about "52 diets in 52 weeks" and they did the 8 hour diet first - and loved it.
Google: 52 diets in 52 weeks theweeklydietplan hubpages and look for week 1 :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:50 PM.