Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #31
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I watched both videos and was impressed. What begs the question is this: as a JUDDDer, I am fasting EVERY other day and I'm not seeing the benefits or weight loss that he describes is possible doing it only 2 days a week.

Then, the 8 hour diet is even more facinating. I could lose 5 lbs a week just by eating within an 8 hour window for three days a week? To me, JUDDD is extremely restrictive (even if you get used to it and enjoy it), and not even half as effective IF these videos are to be believed.
From the video clip, it sounds like there's a bit more to the 8 Hour Diet than just having an eating window-he talked briefly about 'power foods' you had to eat, so that sounds a lot like a normal 'diet' with food restrictions

But I totally get what you're saying-I love JUDDD, but if it's possible to still have results and ease up a bit on the DD regiment, I'm all for that Why would less DDs work though-I have no idea? It's something I'm hoping I'll figure out while doing my two week 5:2 experiment.

Have you read the free ebook, the Fast 5 Diet? That's an IF plan that has a 5 hour window and no food requirements at all. I've read it twice, trying to figure out how on earth it would work It's in the back of my mind to experiment with at a later date

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-19-2013 at 09:50 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #32
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I found an interesting blog about "52 diets in 52 weeks" and they did the 8 hour diet first - and loved it.
Google: 52 diets in 52 weeks theweeklydietplan hubpages and look for week 1
Just read the blog post on the 8 Hour window plan. Well then, maybe the 8 Hour Window thing really does work She did say she was coming from a pretty crappy eating style when she started, so going from JUDDD to this might not have such big results-but then again, who knows maybe it would?!

Someone needs to experiment with this for two weeks and let us know how it goes
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I'm going to try it next week! I plan to only do it on the days I'd normally have a DD, so I'm not expecting a 7 lb loss, but if I could lose even two lbs in a week that would be gratifying to me.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinjob
Stats: 157/156/130
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: November 7, 2011 (Did Atkins first in 2001)
I wonder if you could combine JUDDD with the 8 hour diet? In other words, still do the alternate day rotations but do the 8 hour window on your UDs?

Yes, I'm still here! I haven't had much luck on JUDDD (it's been over a year) but I have always felt pretty good on the plan so I stuck to it. This year I cut out diet sodas and alcohol and finally saw some downwar movement on that darned scale. But seriously thinking about this 8 hour thing.
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
The PHD recommends the 8 hour window, which I have been doing for the last week. They consider this IFing. I still JUDDD, just limit myself to 2 meals in a 7 hour window. I started with 8 hours and realized that I crept very close to the 8th hour, so I simplified the plan.

I have had much better losses this week, but it could be the type of food that helped w/ losing.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Sunday, are you doing the 8 hour thing on UDs only or both UDs and DDs?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do it both days. It really isn't any different than the JUDDDers who prefer not to have breakfast.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The PHD recommends doing this as a protein fast for the 16 hours daily, which is a bit different because in essence you could have foods that are non-protein. It is just easier for me to abstain from anything.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #39
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
I've been doing this for a while now.

I stop eating by 4 or 5 on DD, so don't eat until 9 on most UD.
UD I stop by 5 or 6, which works fine on a DD since I routinely don't eat until somewhere between 11 and 1.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I do it both days. It really isn't any different than the JUDDDers who prefer not to have breakfast.
Thank you for replying. I am going to give this a try!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
Thank you for replying. I am going to give this a try!
The great thing about a window, is that you control both days a bit easier with time regulated meals. I can't do it much more than this, but I have watched many successful JUDDDers do this about 18 hours or more daily. I think you will find it the easiest to do it within the framework of your schedule. In other words, if you love breakfast, make your last meal around 3-4. Best of luck!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #42
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I have to say that, while I think the 8 hour plan has merit, I am really really put off by the authors intentional mis-information about other plans in order to sell his.
He goes on and on about Atkins and NO veggies or fruit and all you can eat is meat.
That really makes me regret buying a book to further that sort of smear campaign.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #43
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
I have to say that, while I think the 8 hour plan has merit, I am really really put off by the authors intentional mis-information about other plans in order to sell his.
He goes on and on about Atkins and NO veggies or fruit and all you can eat is meat.
That really makes me regret buying a book to further that sort of smear campaign.
I get turned off of many, many diet books because of this. Once they lie about or mischaracterize Atkins, I have a hard time believing whatever else they say.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The great thing about a window, is that you control both days a bit easier with time regulated meals. I can't do it much more than this, but I have watched many successful JUDDDers do this about 18 hours or more daily. I think you will find it the easiest to do it within the framework of your schedule. In other words, if you love breakfast, make your last meal around 3-4. Best of luck!
Actually I often skip breakfast so I'm thinking of doing 11-7. I haven't had anything but coffee today (it's a DD and I save all my cals for dinner with my family) so it should be easy to work the 8 hour window into the day. Thanks so much!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Downloaded the Fast Diet book on my Kindle last night, after seeing it mentioned here - thanks.

Have read the first half. Very good to be reminded about the health benefits of fasting. The book stresses that we're all different and have to find what works for us.

It's a more laid back system than JUDDD but I've already picked up passing mentions of choosing unsaturated fat and low-fat versions, which is just the journalist co-writer showing her outdated conditioning.

It's very breezy and implies guaranteed weight-loss results but I spot an iron fist in a velvet glove. She does point out that we are actually fasting and we might have to tough it out till our bodies get used to it!

There are recipies and food plans towards the end but I haven't got to them yet. As it's on Kindle, I can't just flick through to them. So, I don't know if the last half of the book will be fairly useless to me. The first half is a good introduction/reminder though.

Apparently there's a forum on the Fast Diet website if you want to see how people have fared.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: VioletsGrandMom
Stats: 253/232/180
WOE: Atkins Jan2012/JUDDD since October 2012
Start Date: January12Restart5/14
I downloaded the 8 Hour Diet on my Kindle. I read it on a long car ride yesterday - I bought it really to read the research. I told my husband he should try it. He is pretty disciplined and it sounded reasonable to him. I haven't weighed myself since starting JUDDD again around the beginning of January. My arthritis still feels very good so I am kind of leary about changing it. I will report how my husband makes out - he is not going to start it until all of our "breakfast" breads are done (raisin bread and bagels). He wants to do it from 1130 to 730.
VioletsGrandMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #47
Established

Update on my 5:2 experiment-

Last Friday was a normal DD (600ish calories) and then I officially started my experiment on Saturday with an UD, Sunday was another UD and then yesterday was a 470 calorie DD. Both Saturday and Sunday were pretty generous calorie wise-in the 2,000 range. I weighed in this morning for the first time since Saturday and was expecting a bounce, but instead I'm at the same weight I was Saturday morning, before having the two UDs in a row, at 144lbs Now my scale only does .5lb increments so it is possible that I've gained a couple ounces and I just can't see it. But still, how is it possible to have two UDs in a row, followed by one DD and not have a big bounce? Very interesting

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-22-2013 at 04:27 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

I normally do all my DD eating after 5pm and that works well for me.

I had unexpectedly to juggle all my DDs along last week and ended up with a UD UD DD, UD UD DD pattern. So I guess I was doing 5:2 by default - though I tracked UD cals. Didn't lose any weight

Book Review
I finished reading The Fast Diet. There's not much substance. It skims over the background science part. Dr Johnson's book is much better for that.

There are some good food tips, some with scientific advantages. They do cover GI and GL, which could be helpful if it's an unfamiliar concept.

The recipes are varied, with each fast day divided into roughly a 200cal and a 300 cal meal, which could be useful but not very onvenient in Kindle format.

There's a table of the calorie values of 100gs of various foods - complete waste of space! Then there are several testimonials.

I just discovered some more recipes after the endnotes, this time with photos. I know this is the Kindle version but that's a bit Heath Robinson!

They do state that the WOE is not suitable for anyone with an eating disorder. I can imagine that it could be very tempting to binge on the "normal" days if that was a problem for you. At least JUDDD gives us parameters which can help keep us on track.

I suspect people who have got to maintainance on JUDDD have intuitively been doing something like The Fast Diet (5:2) for ages anyway.

I found The Fast Diet book a bit superficial but it's obviously working well for some people. (There are plenty of endnotes if you want to go all academic on the subject.) However, it's very upbeat and might be a useful tool to help convice your sceptical friends/family, if necessary. Or to get re-inspired yourself about IF, of course!

Their website has lots of info. I'd definitely recommend you have a look there before spending money on this book!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #49
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
I normally do all my DD eating after 5pm and that works well for me.

I had unexpectedly to juggle all my DDs along last week and ended up with a UD UD DD, UD UD DD pattern. So I guess I was doing 5:2 by default - though I tracked UD cals. Didn't lose any weight

Book Review
I finished reading The Fast Diet. There's not much substance. It skims over the background science part. Dr Johnson's book is much better for that.

There are some good food tips, some with scientific advantages. They do cover GI and GL, which could be helpful if it's an unfamiliar concept.

The recipes are varied, with each fast day divided into roughly a 200cal and a 300 cal meal, which could be useful but not very onvenient in Kindle format.

There's a table of the calorie values of 100gs of various foods - complete waste of space! Then there are several testimonials.

I just discovered some more recipes after the endnotes, this time with photos. I know this is the Kindle version but that's a bit Heath Robinson!

They do state that the WOE is not suitable for anyone with an eating disorder. I can imagine that it could be very tempting to binge on the "normal" days if that was a problem for you. At least JUDDD gives us parameters which can help keep us on track.

I suspect people who have got to maintainance on JUDDD have intuitively been doing something like The Fast Diet (5:2) for ages anyway.

I found The Fast Diet book a bit superficial but it's obviously working well for some people. (There are plenty of endnotes if you want to go all academic on the subject.) However, it's very upbeat and might be a useful tool to help convice your sceptical friends/family, if necessary. Or to get re-inspired yourself about IF, of course!

Their website has lots of info. I'd definitely recommend you have a look there before spending money on this book!
Thanks for the review! There's a forum run by Mosley's crew that I joined yesterday. There's not a lot of action on it yet, but as the book is released more I think it might pick up?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am curious as to why Moseley wrote the book if he didn't cover the science backing IF in depth? It is almost as if he wanted to keep it simple. And he isn't a scientist or doctor, so that may be the reason?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #51
Established

Quote:
I am curious as to why Moseley wrote the book if he didn't cover the science backing IF in depth? It is almost as if he wanted to keep it simple. And he isn't a scientist or doctor, so that may be the reason?
He is a doctor but I don't know what his field was in, before he started working for the BBC?

eta: from wikipedia- he is a British journalist, physician, producer and TV presenter. In 1995 he was named Medical Journalist of the Year by the British Medical Association.
So he's got to be plugged into the medical community somehow

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-22-2013 at 08:34 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

I think it's just meant to be a very simple book.

That's good because the IF message can reach more people than by some chewy tome which didn't get read. Even better if there's plenty of website backup.

They're claiming their book is a bestseller on the UK Amazon site, so they're already making an easy profit. Let's hope it does a lot of good too!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #53
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyann View Post
My sister tried the 8 Hour Diet for a week and gained weight. She wasn't willing to stick with it any longer to see if it would kick in. She switched to JUDDD and lost 5 lbs her first week. She was really close to goal so she's now thinking of trying only 2 down days now to see if she can keep losing the last couple pounds slowly.
Exactly what happened to me BUT now I'm losing!!! I'm loving the health benefits of the 8 Hour Diet and the freedom it's giving me with turning my thoughts away from food! I almost gave up but so glad I didn't!! JUDDD will always be my WOE of choice but it's not good for my binge eating at all....so sad! The 8 Hour is helping with this so I'll stick to it if only for the health benefits and how wonderful I feel again doing a IF type of WOE!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #54
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
This bothered me also but I take from the book what works for me and I leave the rest behind. Many other diet plans trash each other but in the long run we all know we have to do what works best for us.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
This bothered me also but I take from the book what works for me and I leave the rest behind. Many other diet plans trash each other but in the long run we all know we have to do what works best for us.

You are right as always Linda!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
He is a doctor but I don't know what his field was in, before he started working for the BBC?

eta: from wikipedia- he is a British journalist, physician, producer and TV presenter. In 1995 he was named Medical Journalist of the Year by the British Medical Association.
So he's got to be plugged into the medical community somehow
Thanks. I am curious to read, but so glad that you have.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #57
Established

Quote:
Thanks. I am curious to read, but so glad that you have.
I haven't read it yet-waiting for the library to get it in so I can read it for free
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I haven't read it yet-waiting for the library to get it in so I can read it for free
Yes! That is better!