Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   JUDDD and exercise? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/794746-juddd-exercise.html)

Happy2be 01-18-2013 06:24 AM

JUDDD and exercise?

I have a question. I was thinking that if I was going to exercise that I should on UD but yesterday came and it was Thursday Zumba night and a DD. So I went to Zumba but was worried about passing out since all I had so far that day was a fiber one bar hours earlier so I drank a shake on the way. Then had a 3oz steak when I got home. I was over 500 by 70 calories then. I wasn't sure if I would really need the shake or not. I wasn't starving when I drank it. Should I just have tried to go with out it?

What do you do on DD exercise days? Any suggestions, input or tips would be appreciated. :).

Eieio 01-18-2013 06:33 AM

Melanie
In my book u did correctly.
Very smart to do.
Awesome only 570 dd and gym, gosh I'm jealous. Tease. Good job!
E

angie1 01-18-2013 06:38 AM

I exercise on both DD and UD. I save cardio workouts (machines, classes etc) for UD so that I can have more energy.

And I do strength training workouts or yoga/pilates on DD.

I say if you have the energy to have a workout on DD, go for it!!! Plus it gets you out of your house and busy.

Definitely listen to your body on this one :)

SlimNana 01-18-2013 06:53 AM

I do cardio on DD to keep my body temp. warmed up, because I get so unbearably freezing cold. On UD, I do resistance training since I have more strength & energy from the additional calories/carbs. :)

KeirasMom 01-18-2013 08:01 AM

There's been a lot of good research regarding fasted workouts. I do Zumba on UDs and DDs and don't really notice much difference. I often burn more in my Zumba class than I take in, leading to negative net calories. My Zumba classes are from 7:30 - 8:30 p.m., so I've generally been up since 4:30 a.m. and only eaten 400 or so calories.

Happy2be 01-18-2013 02:16 PM

Thanks. :)

Carly 01-18-2013 02:36 PM

I am more inclined to exercise on DD than UD even though what I can do is limited due to spine issues.

Luna Loca 01-18-2013 02:41 PM

For me, cardio on DDs is a crapshoot. I've had DDs where an hour of elliptical was great, and DDs where a half hour walk was torture. There's no rhyme or reason to it that I can discern.

Mostly what I'm doing for exercise these days is Callanetics, which I can do up or down, as it's not nearly the energy expenditure of cardio, and walking outside when weather permits.

Librarygirl 01-18-2013 06:05 PM

The ladies at work are trying to put together a Zumba class and I have been reluctant to join. For one thing, it costs money, and for another I feel like if I do strength training and low impact cardio (like walking) it will benefit me more while I'm in weight-loss mode. I know that I used to do high impact cardio regularly and could not lose weight (although I was not overly overweight at the time), and since I have so far to go (weight wise), I want to keep it simple. :)

Babsbabs 01-18-2013 07:05 PM

Librarygirl- I know what you mean about keeping things simple for weight loss. It does add in another variable with more exercise.
Happy2be- I think it gets a bit easier when I keep a regular routine. Then I can see how what I am doing is affecting my weight loss, and appetite. I find the morning of a DD to be the time I have the best energy. It does make me hungrier either later in the day or sometimes as late as the next morning if it is a long or very intense workout. The morning after a DD I have to make sure I take it easy but not always. I find I need to eat at least two hours before I work out or I can feel tired and weak. I will use about half of my exercise calories to either add in some food the night before a tough workout or to help with my appetite after a long workout. This works better for me than going up to a higher exercise calorie %. I think it stalls my weight loss unless I am doing over an hour of exercise everyday, which I rarely do. For short hour long workouts I don't need to add any extra calories anymore. I think over time your body kind of gets used to it and you get used to dialling into how you are doing. If I am following weight loss % calories I modify my exercise so that I feel comfortable as my main priority is weight loss. I do believe that everyone is different but these are some of the things that I have found worked for me. I am sure others have found different things work for them as there are definitely differences. I hope you find what works for you! Sounds like you made good choices.
Honestly I have a really difficult time losing weight when I am overdoing the exercise. I just get really hungry.

Luna Loca 01-18-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babsbabs (Post 16205322)
Librarygirl- I know what you mean about keeping things simple for weight loss. It does add in another variable with more exercise.
Happy2be- I think it gets a bit easier when I keep a regular routine. Then I can see how what I am doing is affecting my weight loss, and appetite. I find the morning of a DD to be the time I have the best energy. It does make me hungrier either later in the day or sometimes as late as the next morning if it is a long or very intense workout. The morning after a DD I have to make sure I take it easy but not always. I find I need to eat at least two hours before I work out or I can feel tired and weak. I will use about half of my exercise calories to either add in some food the night before a tough workout or to help with my appetite after a long workout. This works better for me than going up to a higher exercise calorie %. I think it stalls my weight loss unless I am doing over an hour of exercise everyday, which I rarely do. For short hour long workouts I don't need to add any extra calories anymore. I think over time your body kind of gets used to it and you get used to dialling into how you are doing. If I am following weight loss % calories I modify my exercise so that I feel comfortable as my main priority is weight loss. I do believe that everyone is different but these are some of the things that I have found worked for me. I am sure others have found different things work for them as there are definitely differences. I hope you find what works for you! Sounds like you made good choices.
Honestly I have a really difficult time losing weight when I am overdoing the exercise. I just get really hungry.

Babs, love your new avatar. :heart:

Babsbabs 01-18-2013 08:03 PM

Thanks Luna! This is a picture taken this last weekend after I finished a half-marathon followed by a full marathon the following day. Thanks again for being such an inspiration for me. I still start my days thinking is this a day I need lots of low cal volume food or do I need to save my cals for higher cal food. I also love how you have embraced change!:heart:

zagnut 01-18-2013 08:50 PM

I seem to have more energy on DD so I do cardio then and its always without any calories since I don't eat until night on DD. I feel I need the calories/fat to weight train so I do that on UD. It's been working well so far for me.

Happy2be 01-18-2013 09:12 PM

Thanks for all the great responses. I'm trying to get into a good workout routine.

Carly 01-19-2013 11:09 AM

Babs I love your new avi! Congrats on all the running!

Luna Loca 01-19-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babsbabs (Post 16205390)
Thanks Luna! This is a picture taken this last weekend after I finished a half-marathon followed by a full marathon the following day. Thanks again for being such an inspiration for me. I still start my days thinking is this a day I need lots of low cal volume food or do I need to save my cals for higher cal food. I also love how you have embraced change!:heart:

Wow, you are my hero! I am in awe of runners, not being one myself.

I'm so glad that comment helped you! It's good to be reminded of it myself, since I was in maintenance and not counting I had kind of let that concept go by the wayside a little.

Now that I'm back in weight loss mode and want to shift a few more pounds, I can use the reminder.

:friends:

gotitnow 01-19-2013 09:17 PM

Babs...Your avi is beautiful. You look gorgeous and "FIT"......envy alert!!!:cool:

Phyl:heart:

MSN08 01-19-2013 10:53 PM

I go hard on p90x and pole workouts daily and I have no problem with keeping my energy or blood sugar stable on DD which are full on fasting days and actually for my weight lifting days I feel better when I am fasting. This is what works for me, if you ever feel like you will pass out don't ignore it the shake was a good idea imo if I ever felt ill I would listen to my body.