Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyric's Mom
Stats: 130/110 5'2" 41 y/o
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: August 2012
So JUDDD Is Now Considered An Eating Disorder?!

So here's the story. I am transitioning off SSDI and was assigned a therapist several months ago. (not one of my choosing but I'm low income so my options are limited.) I only meet her with once or twice a month so she doesn't see me often. Anyways, she noticed I have lost weight and inquired if everything was alright and what I was doing. I told her I never felt better and explained what JUDDD was without hesitation. BIG mistake!

She immediately accused me of having an eating disorder and said I'm binging/starving myself! And here's the real kicker...I have a two-year old daughter and she said she is At-Risk from my "eating disorder" and she is contemplating calling CPS!! She said my daughter could be in danger if I'm "starving" myself and not having enough calories in my body to make sound decisions. Then she said if I'm binging myself on other days, my face is probably too much in the food to pay much attention to her! Then on top of those ridiculous accusations, she said it's not different than if I was a drug-addict! Yes my head was spinning after all that and I wanted to scream. Her short-sightedness and crazy assumptions really got me heated.
I was in complete shock to say the least and defended myself and the eating program of course. I told her the following:

1) I am by all medical charts and doctor recommendations, at a healthy weight range for my height.

2) I lost this weight slowly and healthily over the course of 4-5 months. (this wasn't a crash diet where I lost 20lbs in a month!)

3) I've been thin all my life. All my friends and family have known me to be this way and I've just now returned to my pre-pregnancy weight after having my daughter two years ago. (If anything, I actually weighed less than I do now most of my adult life.)

4) I have only two down days a month where I'm still eating 500 cals, and FIVE days a week where I actually eat 2000+ calories a day. I'm definitely not starving myself as she implied.

5) I've never felt better in my life.

Then she said she wants to order blood work for me which I was like, fine bring it on because I know it will all only be good numbers. The ultimate insult was that she said she won't call CPS now, but may have to unless I call my main provider to get a referral to a dietician and she wants me to attend weekly classes on how to love myself and my body.

I'm floored and upset. I feel threatened by her telling me what I MUST do to avoid a CPS visit, and livid that she drew such baseless, ridiculous conclusions about my lifestyle. Oh and I just made it worse when I said lots of people are benefiting from this WOE and I'm part of a support group/forum. Then she goes, " Well that's partly what encourages this "disordered" eating...joining forces with people who also have eating issues is not healthy."

Sorry for the long post...I just needed to vent and knew you all would understand/laugh/be upset with me.
Lyric's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
WOW! What a piece of work. I think you should turn her in. She is threatening you, and I wouldn't take that lightly. Also, next time you see her, maybe you can bring her some printouts of the studies that have been done on the health benefits of JUDD. Or just have them ready if in fact you need to "prove" youself to anyone. 110 is definitely healthy for 110. I am so sorry. It is going to be ok!!
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
That is just horrifying! I once again feel (as a therapist myself) the need to apologize for the incompetency of others in my profession, sigh. Unfortunately, there's a certain subset of healthcare providers who get off on using the miniscule amount of power they have...like threats to call CPS. You have recourse. At the very least you can request a different provider, and lodge a complaint with the supervisor at that facility and the state licensing board, if the therapist holds a license. I'm so, so sorry!
--patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
Wow this got me fired up! This lady is threatening with your child! What kind of therapist is that. I think she is the one that needs help. Sorry your having to go through this.
Debrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Oh. My. Goodness. I've heard of some out there reasons for CPS being called, but you're eating habits???? I think the "authority" goes to these people's heads sometimes. Unbelievable. If you do have to get the bloodwork I hope it knocks her socks off.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I have no words to up lift you.. But PAtty is right.. and WOW..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
That is just horrifying! I once again feel (as a therapist myself) the need to apologize for the incompetency of others in my profession, sigh. Unfortunately, there's a certain subset of healthcare providers who get off on using the miniscule amount of power they have...like threats to call CPS. You have recourse. At the very least you can request a different provider, and lodge a complaint with the supervisor at that facility and the state licensing board, if the therapist holds a license. I'm so, so sorry!
--patty
^^THIS.

Rayne, that had to have been terrifying and infuriating in turns. I'm beyond incensed that she put you through that!

If it were me in your shoes, I would be making a stink of untold proportions. If you've seen your regular doctor recently, get them on board as well.

She is WRONG. Period. She was abusive, uninformed, and acting in all likelihood beyond her scope of expertise and authority.

Gather all the information you can regarding JUDDD, intermittent fasting, your health records, etc...and then make yourself heard.

Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all. Yah, I was pretty offended/upset/sick over what happened. Plus, I explained to her I'm not losing anymore...just maintaining. It obviously fell on deaf ears though. I'm trying to decide what to do from here. I do want to lodge a formal complaint and drop
her but I'm afraid if I do, she'll send CPS out anyway as a "welfare check" as a response for cutting off communication with her. I really do feel trapped because even though I know it's baseless and would come back unsubstantiated, I still don't want that ding on my record you know? She's expecting me to show up to that class tomorrow but since I'm not going to, I'm sure she will be in contact with me. Onviously the trust is shattered so Im not going to benefit from her one-on-one or group classes. We'll see what happens. Oh and no apologies needed from the profession. Just like in all fields I know there are good and bad ones. I'm sort of at the mercy of this clinic since I can't afford therapists like I've had in the past but I am going to see what other option there is for me. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I know what your saying here dear.. but.. CPS is really in place to provide protection for the child and you are a great mom with nothing to fear! May of my friends had issues with CPS being called from folks in there life who like nothing other than to casue harm.. But when they come, and everything is fine.. that fear goes away.. Dont let her or any one make you feel that any group like CPS is a threat. You know you are giving your daughter the best possible life.. end of story.. much love and prayers for you at this difficut time dear.. and i do mean this with just lots of love and respect, so i hope you recieved it that way
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Just . . . wow!

I don't even know what to think about that. It's so ridiculous and absurd, like something out of the Twilight Zone. I'm furious on your behalf.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
What a horrible and shocking experience. I don't have any advice to add, beyond the excellent posts of others, but I want to send my sympathies. You are clearly handling this with intelligence and poise; I would be so furious and/or upset that I'd be a complete mess. Good for you for showing such grace under pressure!
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
That is just infuriating! I'm so sorry you had to experience that, and still have to deal with it to some extent. I hope you can request another provider, and lodge a complaint. You have a lot of amunition to fight with, including lots of scientific studies, and this board. If anyone wanted to look at this board, they would find nothing but support and love. We know we don't have disordered eating on this plan. It's not only healthy, but healing as well.

I know you don't want CPS coming to visit, but really, they wouldn't find anything wrong. I think that woman should be run out of business. And I'll bet money she isn't as healthy as you are.

I don't mean to bash anyone or any profession, but I do think there are insecure people out there in the "helping" professions that get off on dealing with people who have problems, and LOVE to judge, criticise and use scare tactics. And they are usually un- or under-informed and educated about what they are preaching about.

I say, go after her. Give her a little taste of what she's dishing out!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 185/171.6/155 - 5'5
WOE: Stillman's*
Wow!! I just wanted to give you a big .

No one should ever have to go through that! Definitely drop her and send a complaint! You deserve a well-thought apology!

I often find that others do not understand this WOE . So I have stopped telling them about it -- when someone asks me how I've lost weight.. I just put a generic "eat less move more"

Let us know how it goes!
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Oh my goodness
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
That is crazy and I'm so sorry you had to go through that! This woman sounds like a beast. I hate how critical others can be when someone finds a woe that works for them. But, having seen so many people on the low-carb side of things discuss how they were forced to lie to their own doctors or risk losing their insurance, my eyes are opened to how these kinds of people can cause really serious problems.

I hope you figure out the best way to deal with her without it causing further problems for you.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
I am so sorry you had to go through this. You and your precious little one will be in my . Stay connected here, I know everyone cares.

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all so much!! You are right, I know Im a grear mom and my daughter is happy, healthy, and well! She's in the 50th percentile for weight and eats very nutritiously. Everyone in my life knows and can see that. I am infuriated at this therapist's ignorance and over-involvement into my personal life choices. I do agree with another poster that I probably shouldn't share that info with people I don't know well because I open myself up to judgment. I just didn't think twice about it because I didn't realize it was an issue and I thought I could/should share everything with my therapist. I never imagined she would over react like this and then not even hear or respect what I was saying regards it. It was like she already had her mind made up on the matter so any explaination on my end was futile. Hard lessons learned but I've learned it. I'll keep you all posted on what happens from here. Thanks all for your support!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
You're welcome, just know that she is WRONG! And we know that
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Lyric, I am so so sorry to hear this. I was a therapist myself before becoming a SAHM and this is just sickening to read. You SHOULD be able to be honest with your therapist!

I do hope you take Patty's suggestion of filing complaints. This person should not be in the field. Huge hugs to you...and although I am not sure how CA's CPS folks are, here in Michigan, things have to be downright horrific before children are taken away from their parents. Trust me, I've had plenty of situations where it should have happened and didn't. Don't be afraid. I know it's easier said than done, but any good CPS worker will recognize a good momma and how the child interacts with their momma. Huge hugs to you!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I have a close personal friend who dealt with CPS and all those wonderful agencies, and from what I understand they will make up anything they can to try to make you look bad. With my friend, it started with a shrink making stuff up about her and then CPS jumping in from there. From your profile picture, your child looks pretty young. CPS loves young children. They will do anything they can to get the kids away from you, do anything they can to make you look "unstable" so they can terminate parental rights adopt out those young children. Did you know they get bigger kickbacks for adopting out babies and young children?

Sorry for the rant, but I have heard horror stories about all that stuff before and it touched a nerve. My best suggestion, pretend to go along with her crap she suggests you do, tell them what they want to hear and do not under any circumstances talk about your WOE to her ever again. Tell her you are doing weight watchers or following the food pyramid or something, but keep doing what you are doing. Just quietly. You aren't doing anything wrong
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Demonica, I am so sorry to hear about your friend having a horrible experience. There are bad apples in everything. (therapists & CPS obviously included) I have a friend that went through something horrible like that as well, but still have found (over 12+ years in the field) that these things were rare. (obiously that doesn't matter when it's *you* that it happens to)

More hugs, lyric. I only meant to reassure you. I don't like to hear of anyone feeling like they don't have choices and have to lie about their experiences. (and would love to prevent this person from keeping this up!)
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I second making the complaint. And going to that meeting with some printed pages on the benefits of IF, of which there are many, and videos on youtube, etc.

I tell people I'm doing calorie restriction, and have more some days than others, but it averages out to what you'd do on a regular low-calorie diet (from what I've heard and read... haven't done one in 20+yrs).

Anyway, to you, and I hope you give us updates b/c that's just nuts!
S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #23

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yikes. this is terrible. but I would think the best course in situations like this is NOT to be so forceful. I would tell the woman that I was mixed up because of the stress of the appointment and I am really eating blah calories a day (whatever you think would seem rational to her) and you had to agree that if what you said at first was true it might be an issue. ha ha ha.

I know others think this is wimping out, but honestly, people are just CRAZY about alternative ways of eating, especially to lose weight. I would not want to be defending this stuff to a bunch of main stream thinkers, myself. good luck.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Lyric'smom,..I am very sorry you had to go thru this...I don't know if any govt. entitie is involved...but I shudder to think how people like this therapist can screw up a person's life...recently my older sister recieved a call from Home Healthcare...told her...Your dr wants us to take over and administer your medications...she has medicare...she was so upset...thinking..wow..my dr thinks I can't even take my medication correctly...what's next a nursing home?..It turned out...the dr never even called HH and requested it...HH did it on their own inorder to get a new patient...so my sis talked to the drs office again and said...don't ever send them to me again...I don't want people trying to take care of me who will make up lies....I hope you stand up to this therapist, she treated you awful, and you shouldn't have to put up with that..some health pros cannot be trusted....some can..sure..you just have to find the ones that can be trusted. I hope you can get a new therapist..God bless.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
--patty
Yes- I am truly saddened that a fellow therapist would so hastily jump the gun and threaten to call CPS when she has no evidence that your child is in any danger. I too would encourge you to file an official complaint with the agency she works for and if you do not feel that it is taken seriously with your state's Office of Mental Health in addition to the licensing body that licenses your therapist.

I am so sorry this has happened to you.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOW, just WOW!!!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/11/2012
If she does call cps & they drop in for a welfare check, answer the door, show them your child, but do not let them in. If they have real evidence of a crime, they can get a warrant & come back.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
This is so disturbing and upsetting!! I am just shocked beyond words. So sorry you had to go through this, and I hope this lady loses her license to practice!

I have noticed that when I tell people about JUDDD they get very concerned, and even had a guy at GNC tell me that under NO circumstances should I be eating less than 1200 calories a day. Everyone thinks they're an expert.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
Wow! I'm not a JUDDER but I wanted to put my two cents in.

It is crazy, and I hope she does not call CPS.
But CPS is not out to get your young children and you don't need to live in fear of them.
My child was shaken as an infant by an uncle. We had CPS involved until the police formally cleared us. They did have to take our children, which I understood due to the serious nature, but they let us find a family member to take them and we got to be with our kids all day. They came, checked us out thoroughly, and gave us our kids back.
If you don't have anything to hide, you will be fine even if she did call.
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #30
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
This is so disturbing and upsetting!! I am just shocked beyond words. So sorry you had to go through this, and I hope this lady loses her license to practice!

I have noticed that when I tell people about JUDDD they get very concerned, and even had a guy at GNC tell me that under NO circumstances should I be eating less than 1200 calories a day. Everyone thinks they're an expert.
This reminds me of the time my SIL's sister was staying with her and my brother while recovering from heart surgery. When she went for a f/up with her doctor he told her how/what to eat and she explained that she was living with her sister during recovery and her sister was an Atkid/LCer so that was how she'd be eating. He was VERY concerned for her health, told her no way, bad diet yada yada. When her blood work came back he raved about how great she was doing and said....."I guess I'll have to read that book." Anne said, "do you mean to tell me you are giving advice on a plan you have zero knowledge of?" eeer, yeah, guess I am.

So's Lyricsmom's therapist.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote