Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Veggie roll call (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/794669-veggie-roll-call.html)

soon 01-17-2013 08:26 AM

Veggie roll call

I have primarily been eating cabbage, brussel sprouts cauliflower and onions. I am finding gas is my new best friend, I really need ideas for less turbulent veggies that are also low carb being I am diabetic and tired of zuchinni. Can u please give me sone veggie ideas?? thanks

KeirasMom 01-17-2013 08:50 AM

Broccoli, cucumber, tomatoes and avocados (though they're technically fruit), onions, asparagus, spaghetti squash.

penguinpower 01-17-2013 08:54 AM

Spinach, swiss chard, mushrooms, napa chin, bok choy, black soy beans are a few more.

KeirasMom 01-17-2013 09:06 AM

Oh, and artichokes! Love steamed artichokes!

Flossyliz 01-17-2013 09:18 AM

:yummy: Green beans, string beans, snap beans -- they are all the same thing, and they have a lot to offer us in the way of nutrition for a very low amount of carbohydrate. (Yellow string beans aren't quite as nutritious as the green type.)

LoCarbGal 01-17-2013 09:58 AM

Kale is a favorite of mine. Sauteed with a little olive oil and garlic and salt. Or roasted is very good too.

I love roasting my veggies in winter. It gives them a nice sweetness and a bit of crunch/crust you don't get with steaming. You can use butter or OO, or I sometimes just spray with pam and then sprinkle seasonings and it's great.

Zib 01-17-2013 12:16 PM

Love Kale!

I often buy a container of mixed green salad or other greens (such as Kale) and have piles of that with whatever protein I'm having. And if you massage those hearty greens, like Kale, for a few minutes, they tenderize.

The same works for broccoli rabe, broccolini (same thing I think), and mustard greens. I'm sure Chard would tenderize as well.

Carly 01-17-2013 12:22 PM

I love celery, cucumber and lettuce- especially butterhead or butter bliss lettuce. I can not speak to how gassy they are or are not. I really like artichoke and asparagus too. Spinach steamed in a pot of broth is really yummy!

sunday 01-17-2013 12:23 PM

I am on a black/green olive, kale, spinach, carrot, squash, tater kick. I eat lots of salsa, avocado and fresh pico too. :love: I make a smoothie with a bunch of kale/spinach & blueberries that is my dd treat. :heart:

SlimNana 01-17-2013 12:39 PM

All the above, plus Escarole. A terrific winter comfort food is cannellini beans & escarole soup.:yummy:

angie1 01-17-2013 12:50 PM

mmm I love lettuce, green peppers, tomatoes, grilled red peppers and zucchini, spaghetti squash, carrots, Brussel sprouts! yummmm!

JayLynn 01-17-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16202046)
I am on a black/green olive, kale, spinach, carrot, squash, tater kick. I eat lots of salsa, avocado and fresh pico too. :love: I make a smoothie with a bunch of kale/spinach & blueberries that is my dd treat. :heart:

Hi Sunday, the smoothie sounds good! Do you have a recipe?

Thanks!

Eieio 01-17-2013 01:05 PM

Love All veggies spoken Above.
Except Brussels sprouts gives me unforgiving gas.
I run myself out of the room.

soon 01-17-2013 01:56 PM

thank you for all the good ideas ladies!! Elieio thanks for the laff! Brusse; sprouts are on my list too

svenskamae 01-17-2013 02:11 PM

A baggie full of radishes is a down day staple for me--very satisfying crunch and very few carbs or calories. I toss all sorts of raw veggies into salads; some that haven't been mentioned so far are radicchio and various kinds of sprouts and peeled and diced kohlrabi. I also love canned hearts of palm and artichoke hearts in salads.

Pickled asparagus spears are another down day staple for me; look for them in the pickle area. I eat through a whole jar for very few calories.

JayLynn 01-17-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenskamae (Post 16202358)
A baggie full of radishes is a down day staple for me--very satisfying crunch and very few carbs or calories. I toss all sorts of raw veggies into salads; some that haven't been mentioned so far are radicchio and various kinds of sprouts and peeled and diced kohlrabi. I also love canned hearts of palm and artichoke hearts in salads.

Pickled asparagus spears are another down day staple for me; look for them in the pickle area. I eat through a whole jar for very few calories.

hmmm sounds good svens! I eat a pickle or two once in awhile...I bet pickled asaparagus would be good too! I'll grab some on the next grocery run. Thanks!

oh and I like radishes too. I buy them cleaned and ready to eat. I know thats lazy but if I eat a lot more fresh veggies if I buy them this way. LOL

sunday 01-17-2013 04:37 PM

Jaylynn,

This is the smoothie that I make and love on DD. :heart::heart::heart:
It is wonderful and it helps ensure that I get nutrition.

1 big bunch of Kale 34
2 cups of baby spinach 14
20 blueberries 15
1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk or (almond milk) 40 cals
1/2 fuji apple 35 cals
1/2 tsp of gluc powder 0 cals or 1 scoop of whey protein (optional) 80 cals
2 cups of ice
stevia/truvia if you prefer sweetened

Blend in blender. This is 138 cals w/o protein or 218 with. If you add the protein, I split it into two meals, because it makes a lot and is quite filling. You can substitute any fruit, but berries are usually lower cal and if you want to make it skinnier, omit the 1/2 apple. :yummy:

JayLynn 01-17-2013 05:12 PM

Oh that looks good, Sunday.. and healthy!

more stuff to put on my list for the grocery. You guys have so many delicious ideas!

Librarygirl 01-17-2013 06:17 PM

I love yellow (summer) squash and onions cooked together. I cut mine in rounds (throw away the ends), and onion in rounds as well and pile them in the pan with butter, salt and pepper. Stir to coat and let cook on medium till a little browned, then put the lid on, with the stove on low until the texture you like.:yummy: You could use olive oil, or spray for less calories, but I prefer real butter. :)

ETA: this squash is technically grown around here in the summer months, but is available all year round in the grocery stores. The smaller, the better and tenderest.

JayLynn 01-18-2013 11:27 AM

I made the smoothie, Sunday, and its good! I used kale, spinach, blueberries and apple, coconut milk and ice. i added one packet of truvia.
don't have the powder.

And it feels so healthy. Thanks for the great recipe!

sunday 01-18-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayLynn (Post 16204353)
I made the smoothie, Sunday, and its good! I used kale, spinach, blueberries and apple, coconut milk and ice. i added one packet of truvia.
don't have the powder.

And it feels so healthy. Thanks for the great recipe!

I did this today too! I hope it made enough for you to have it again this evening! :jumpjoy:

Today, I added kefir (40) and one orange for the vitamin c. I need all of the reinforcement I can get, since I work around students. Sickness is hard to avoid at this time of year.

TryingJudd 01-18-2013 12:25 PM

mushrooms!! All kinds stir fried or roasted, blended into soups, portabellos are meaty and satisfying for few calories.

Whitlin' 01-18-2013 12:45 PM

soon, I don't know if you could include it, given your low-carb restrictions, but a small portion of sweet potato would be a wonderful choice if you could. The nutrition is impressive, and it's definitely one of the "orange and yellow" group of colorful veggies, for beta-carotene and flavonoids. (Look up "Color Wheel of Fruits and Vegetables" on the net to see what each color group offers.) I enjoy coconut oil on sweet potato as much as I would enjoy butter, so it also gives me a yummy way to up my intake of that healthy oil.

Have fun on your veggie adventures! :up:

piratejenny 01-18-2013 01:56 PM

I don't think anybody mentioned eggplant?

Most of my favorite eggplant dishes involve frying and/or lots of cheese,
which is not good for DDs. *sigh*
But ratatouille is a great DD-friendly eggplant dish!

Zucchini is one of my staple veggies. I grate it before I cook it, and I don't get as tired of it that way. It reminds me of noodles...esp if I cook it in some chicken broth. :yummy:

piratejenny 01-24-2013 04:52 PM

Thought of a couple more: chayote, which is a squash. The flavor isn't terribly exciting but it has a firm texture when cooked so it's great for soups. It also is a darn-close substitute for apples in a pie or compote; I cook it with SF maple syrup & lots of cinnamon.

Daikon is an Asian vegetable which is similar to radish. But it has a large cylinder shape, so it's easier to grate and slice. It can be eaten raw or cooked.

Mung bean sprouts--raw in salads, wraps, etc; cooked in stir-fries or egg foo young. You could also serve other foods over a bed of cooked sprouts as a sort of noodle substitute...maybe chop them up for a rice substitute?

Seaweed is very low-calorie & low-carb while being very nutritious & versatile. As well as individual dried seaweeds (for soup), there are some "salad" mixes available; my Asian market carries fresh seaweed, too.

soon 01-24-2013 04:58 PM

[. I toss all sorts of raw veggies into salads; some that haven't been mentioned so far are radicchio and various kinds of sprouts and peeled and diced kohlrabi. I also love canned hearts of palm and artichoke hearts in salads.

Pickled asparagus spears are another down day staple for me; look for them in the pickle area. I eat through a whole jar for very few calories.[/QUOTE]

What good ideas have never seen pickled asparagus will look for it. I have 2 big jars of artichokes never thought of putting them on my salad what a good idea TY.

BaileysGirl 01-24-2013 05:26 PM

Don't try the POTATO HACK! LOL Today is my first day and I've had bad gas all afternoon.