Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I see I am in good company. I was never a binger before JUDDD. I'm not even sure when it started but it was just a day or two here and there, maybe once or twice a month. Then it became once a week. Then 2 sometimes 3 days in a row. Then I'd be good for a week or two or three and start all over. All the while I still managed to maintain but eventually it caught up with me and now I'm afraid to get on the scale because I just don't want to know. After maintaining my weight loss for well over a year I'm surely at least 15 pounds up. I don't know what to do but I think I've come to a decision today to stop JUDDD for awhile and see what happens. I think I will look at the brain over binge book to see if it can help me get a handle on this.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 339/298/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Binge eating is a cycle that is difficult to break, like smoking or something I have had a problem with it for a long time I would pick a diet and when I couldn't make it a whole day I would binge out on whatever it was I could not have on that particular diet and start a new diet the next day or tell myself I will do better tomorrow There are so many WOE out there so many reasons to eat one way or the other I just couldn't take it anymore With JUDDD I can mix it up There is nothing I can't have and everyday is different On UD I try to spread my calories out about three hours apart and I feel full all day On DD I try to do a water fast, but if I can't make it I have 500 cal to work with The feeling I have the next morning when I keep to the plan and don't give into that binge is worth more to me now than anything I think I might want to binge on I love the feeling of accomplishment in the morning I just don't want to give that up Tell yourself "we can do this, we can make it" When you make it give yourself a big There is nothing like that feeling in the morning when you can say I MADE IT!!!!! Remember you and your health is worth more then anything you could eat Take care and Fight the Good Fight
Sunshinegirl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
I see I am in good company. I was never a binger before JUDDD. I'm not even sure when it started but it was just a day or two here and there, maybe once or twice a month. Then it became once a week. Then 2 sometimes 3 days in a row. Then I'd be good for a week or two or three and start all over. All the while I still managed to maintain but eventually it caught up with me and now I'm afraid to get on the scale because I just don't want to know. After maintaining my weight loss for well over a year I'm surely at least 15 pounds up. I don't know what to do but I think I've come to a decision today to stop JUDDD for awhile and see what happens. I think I will look at the brain over binge book to see if it can help me get a handle on this.
I could be wrong with my suspicion, but I really think that maintenance breaks or even switching to another plan such as 5:2 could solve this? I have been JUDDDing for one year, only taking a 3 week maintenance after 4 months and then again for 2 weeks of Dec. I have read on Dr. Jaminet's site that fasting should never feel stressful nor should you feel malnourished.

I will report back on how I am feeling after February, I have noticed that I haven't snacked at all since switching. Haven't felt like finishing off the walnuts or macnuts. It seems to be easier on my mental well-being. If I struggle or my weight starts heading the wrong direction, then I may come back to JUDDD.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 02-10-2013 at 06:48 PM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
JUDDD has actually helped me with binging. I think it must be the dieting one day at a time mentality that helps me. I never could make it on every day restricted programs, because I felt deprived 100 percent of the time. Yes, I could have a hamburger, but then I really couldn't have the French fries and coke too, and be able to have a little something later. Now I can do that every other day, if I want to. Yes, I am deprived every other day, but always with a promise of tomorrow which I love.

PS, Sunday, were we duped yesterday with Dr J.?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
JUDDD has actually helped me with binging. I think it must be the dieting one day at a time mentality that helps me. I never could make it on every day restricted programs, because I felt deprived 100 percent of the time. Yes, I could have a hamburger, but then I really couldn't have the French fries and coke too, and be able to have a little something later. Now I can do that every other day, if I want to. Yes, I am deprived every other day, but always with a promise of tomorrow which I love.

Was he an imposter??? I wondered! My thought was that I could see "Women's Health" or "Shape" wanting to do a story about JUDDD, but "Harper's"? I am glad that we didn't give any info.

I am so glad that JUDDD is helping w/ binging.
I think it is a wonderful plan and was an excellent way for me to get my hard to budge weight off. My questions have only been with these few areas that seem to be left vague in the book? Wish someone could get us answers.

Last edited by sunday; 02-10-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #66
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I think we have more answers amongst ourselves and more buds right here that have done this longer than anyone Dr. J studied. Is there any other JUDDD forums on the net? I think the book has it's limitation and I'm not sure that Dr.j is in this for the long haul. I think we will learn more about IF from 5:2 and other off shoots. I'm ready Kate Harrison's book, but just started it. I will get Mosely's next.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Was he an imposter???
Wot's all this, then?!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Someone came to the juddd forum yesterday claiming they we're Dr Johnson, and said Harper's magazine wanted to do an article with the JUDDD , and said they were looking for people who had been successful, and would like to be part of an interview for the article...he was asking for volunteers to be interviewed and give their story.
But that thread has since disappeared.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have learned quite a bit from here. The book was interesting, just not quite as in depth.

I love to read the blogs of the researchers that are linked in the Benefits thread as well as all of the Paleo blogs on fasting. So, if nothing else, I have to base what I know from the many different viewpoints.

As a matter of fact, binging is talked about at length on most of the IFing/paleo sites. Lyle MacDonald has a body recomp forum where this is discussed. I noticed that almost every forum has a few women/men who have faced this issue. Most of the time, they suggest eating in the windows even if it is a 10 hour window, to help alleviate the "all day fasting" discomfort. My curiosity grew with my own dilemma, but then I have always felt some concern for the ones who seem to struggle w/ 36 hours.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Wot's all this, then?!
I fell for it!

Although, after waiting and seeing the thread disappear, it became evident.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

I didn't know Dr. Johnson was a plastic surgeon, I just googled his name to see if there is a different way to get in touch with him for your questions, Sunday, did not find one.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #72
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Dr. J has a website with contact info on it.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Dr. J has a website with contact info on it.
We have tried this, but it is turned off. I looked for his last update to his website and it was Nov. 2008.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
But where is he? If you had your diet named after you and it's obviously very popular and successful why just disappear? Even Seth Roberts frequents his Shangri-La forum even though it's not very busy. Even Dr Kruse frequents his website and he has no book or anything - he makes zero $$ from the Leptin Reset.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/119/115-120
WOE: BTD/JUDDD/HDE
I am a binger. I don't feel that JUDD has made me binge more. My binges are purely hormonal, I have them for the past few years. I only binge for about a week before TOM is due. I don't know what's the solution. Past 2 cycles were a breeze but this one I am back to binging I think I was keeping my carbs steady during last 2 cycles, eating lots of root vegetables and not going over 70 gr of gross carbs a day and staying away fruits. That helped, I think. But for the past 2 weeks my carbs went too low and I think this may have affected my serotonin levels, thus the binge. I don't eat grains and sugar for the past few years anyway, but as soon as I touch fruit, honey or NUTS I go NUUUUTTTSSS! So I will be going back to incorporating more veggies and allowing myself more calories during PMS. I was just trying to get to my goal weight (I was almost there last week) before I switch over to 3:4 or 2:5 method. But maybe I need to do this now even though I am not at the goal (thanks to 3 day binge). Sometimes I get so confused with which plan to follow. I t is amazing after going bananas for 3 days with eating like there is no tomorrow, my appetite went down to normal yesterday even though I am still PMSing. The damage was done though, since Thursday I have put on 5 lbs. I am sure some of it is water, but I am sure half is fat. Eating 5000 cal a day is not going out in the air

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 02-11-2013 at 04:18 AM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
But where is he? If you had your diet named after you and it's obviously very popular and successful why just disappear? Even Seth Roberts frequents his Shangri-La forum even though it's not very busy. Even Dr Kruse frequents his website and he has no book or anything - he makes zero $$ from the Leptin Reset.
I am baffled.

Sure would be helpful and help promote his plan .
Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #77
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I am baffled.

Sure would be helpful and help promote his plan .
Well, according to bio data he is 65 and semi retired so maybe he just doesn't see the point in promoting JUDDD. The older I get the less I care about things I used to be passionate about. Just a thought.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
It seems to me this might be your body's way of telling you that it is alarmed that you lost 90 pounds and is determined not to let you starve to death!

(If you don't mind me saying so, if you're binging 3 days in a row - unless you're binging on pickles or glucomannan noodles - you're not really doing JUDDD anymore anyway)

I think most people who lose a lot of weight have these challenges (there are some scientific articles about this here and there). Anyway, maybe a different maintenance strategy sounds like a good idea for a while.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #79
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
It seems to me this might be your body's way of telling you that it is alarmed that you lost 90 pounds and is determined not to let you starve to death!

(If you don't mind me saying so, if you're binging 3 days in a row - unless you're binging on pickles or glucomannan noodles - you're not really doing JUDDD anymore anyway)

I think most people who lose a lot of weight have these challenges (there are some scientific articles about this here and there). Anyway, maybe a different maintenance strategy sounds like a good idea for a while.
Yes, I agree but the challenges that several of us are now facing, be it JUDDD induced (for me it was) or something else, is quite different than normal challenges people face after losing quite a bit of weight. I didn't lose a lot of weight, 25 pounds+/- and I never had an eating "disorder" before, at all, anytime in my life, except after having JUDDD as my WOE. So my challenges have turned into not just keeping the weight off but having a mind set that I'm going to be very hungry tomorrow so I better eat all I can today. <<<THIS released a monster that may have been there all along but was let loose while doing JUDDD.

AGAIN I STRESS; JUDDD IS A WONDERFUL WOE and works wonders for many, many people to lose weight, me included back in the day, BUT now it's just not a WOE my mind can do anymore. It's a great WOE, but has done things to some of us that we rather didn't happen.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #80
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
I fell for it!

Although, after waiting and seeing the thread disappear, it became evident.
I'm still not convinced. Could have been an imposter, or possibly not. Now we'll never know.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Beeb, I am so sorry this happened to you I just wonder if it has something to do w/ the gene that gets turned on when women fast? It is the same gene that causes sleepless nights, because when the body senses no food, it keeps us awake so we can scavenge for food(I think this information came from a study on lab rats,)
Did you notice sleepless nights a lot on JUDDD?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
I'm a horrible binger at times (mostly sugar and sweets) and have basically been maintaining for 3 months because I have have a hard time reigning in my UD's and they were turning into free for all's with topped off with copious amounts of wine

My DD's were always spot on 350 or less so my weight did not go up but I don't particularly feel done at 160 so I definitely need to get this under control.

What I have done that *seems* to be working for me is to do a JUDDD within a JUDDD diet with the promise that if I keep my calories to my limits on my UD's during the week, that whatever UD falls on the weekend will be a let loose and not count kind of day. I still try to keep it from going too over the top and have mostly stopped drinking wine except that one day. It makes me limit any major binges to once a week and that seems to be helping me mentally in that I remind myself if I'm good, I can have whatever on the weekend.
This is what happened to me, so I stopped doing JUDDD. I love the idea of JUDDD and I believe it has helped so many people, but my hunger got so out of control, that UD's became a free for all and I maintained weight. I was happy to maintain, especially while eating copious amounts of chocolate, but I didn't feel healthy and I still wanted to lose. So, I've switched over to another app to track calories and macros (zoneish), I am working on emotional eating issues, I've read a ton of diet books (and am still reading), changed what I eat (and my ideas about food), and I exercise as much as possible (mostly weights, but 2 days/wk cardio).

Maybe one day, I can return to a JUDDD-like program, but right now, the fear of being hungry is just too much. I've been working on food choices to control hunger, and that has been working.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

I have heard that a LOT of people do JUDDD with M, W, F DDs, and both weekend days are UDs. And still lose weight doing it that way. I wonder if free weekends could help some of our bingers?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, I guess he could have been the real person and just didn't know that he can't solicit here? I looked for another website, just in case he may have implemented one, but so far nothing. I will try his link on the other site again.

On the JUDDD and fasting days, I am really enjoying the time window with a daily fast, however, it is so ingrained in me to eat UP/Down that I find that I naturally eat this method still. After I have done this a while, I will move over to 5:2 and eating in a window. I love having set days and it seems to be much less stress.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #85
Big Yapper!!!!

I guess I am one of the fortunate ones. Now I enjoyed my UD's but never reached the ppoint of out of control eating. never have had sleepless nights either. I can always sleep.
And I like the steady DD/UD rotations. It is a habit for me now and I can just keep on going on for however long I want to. Not sure if alcohol has a bearing on binge behaviors but I do not drink. I am a Diet Coke addict which does not seem to make a difference.
I feel sad that binge behaviors are surfacing through fasting for some folks.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but wine is definitely a chocolate/nut trigger here.

I am fine to let it go until I get to the end of my journey. I have empathy for all of our budds that have been going through this. I know in Linda, Kathy, & Elise's case, that it has to be so frustrating, because they were all very successful JUDDDers.

Last edited by sunday; 02-11-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

If they were not bingers before, then this must be a physiological issue. You don't become an emotional binger from doing JUDDD. maybe going LC would help? Or high nutrient? IDK, just wish I could help.
Before I started JUDDDIng, I would binge on a daily basis. Someone had mentioned in this thread, or another(I'm sorry, I don't remember who it was) that when a binge is coming on, do not have any dialogue with yourself. This is exactly what I experienced as a binger-I would be talking myself into binging by rationalizing with myself..(I can have just one scoop, one nght, one weekend, one more, and I will start fresh Monday, tomorrow, etc)
And I was curious if these new bingers experience this, or is is something different?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #88

Quote:
Beeb, I am so sorry this happened to you I just wonder if it has something to do w/ the gene that gets turned on when women fast? It is the same gene that causes sleepless nights, because when the body senses no food, it keeps us awake so we can scavenge for food(I think this information came from a study on lab rats,)
Did you notice sleepless nights a lot on JUDDD?
Yes, sleepless nights but because I had binged so much I was uncomfortable and disgusted with myself. Stopped JUDDD, finally got a handle (took 7 months) on the binging and so far sleeping like a baby again, a regular 7 to 8 hours instead of 4 to 5.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #89

Quote:
I have heard that a LOT of people do JUDDD with M, W, F DDs, and both weekend days are UDs. And still lose weight doing it that way. I wonder if free weekends could help some of our bingers?
What many don't understand is the binging mind doesn't understand "free", as in a time to eat freely and a time to stop eating freely. For us "free" means "free for all", all at once, all day/night long. To restrict calories or time we can eat or not eat only makes matters worse, causing us to binge more. It the idea of "I can't have/I really want now" that causes the binge, usually in the first place OR the dreaded feeling of hungry that we try so hard to avoid and thus over eat to NOT be hungry.

I tried the M-W-F DDs and then free weekend....NOT a pretty sight since I was then eating on the UDs and free weekend days!

Last edited by Beeb; 02-11-2013 at 01:37 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #90

Quote:
If they were not bingers before, then this must be a physiological issue. You don't become an emotional binger from doing JUDDD. maybe going LC would help? Or high nutrient? IDK, just wish I could help.
Before I started JUDDDIng, I would binge on a daily basis. Someone had mentioned in this thread, or another(I'm sorry, I don't remember who it was) that when a binge is coming on, do not have any dialogue with yourself. This is exactly what I experienced as a binger-I would be talking myself into binging by rationalizing with myself..(I can have just one scoop, one nght, one weekend, one more, and I will start fresh Monday, tomorrow, etc)
And I was curious if these new bingers experience this, or is is something different?
Binging to me is NOT a rationalizing of eating just one or two things "off limits" one night , one weekend, one more and starting fresh. It's the inability to STOP eating once I start, especially at night. I would just eat and eat and eat, a whole bag of chips, a bag of pretzels (I like the crunchy/salty) etc., on and on and that never seemed to stop until I got disgusted and just went to bed to stop eating. And yes, it is physiological but not in the way you would imagine; It's self loathing after the binge, promises to never do so again and an endless hamster wheel of both. And I didn't talk to myself, I was just mindlessly eating without even trying to figure out why! It was like I am posessed and there is no one there to rescue me! And YES, JUDDD started something that has NEVER been a part of my life before. It was the fear of hunger the next day on the DD that started me in this twisted spiral! No other diet ever did this to me before, ever!

Last edited by Beeb; 02-11-2013 at 01:37 PM..