Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   I'm Confused! But what else is new! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/794574-im-confused-but-what-else-new.html)

Debrat3 01-15-2013 08:39 PM

I'm Confused! But what else is new!

I have been thinking about something all day and going back and forth in my mind about it. I know you guys can clear this up for me. I have been reading post of where some of you are going back to LC Judd. SO I was thinking are low carb calories better than not low carb? I Know I have heard you say that Judd dont care what you eat as long as you stay in your calories. Again I was thinking today does that mean If on an up day I eat 3 sandwiches that mean 6 pieces of bread through the day still stay within my calories I am still going to lose the same? I realize that some of you that go LC eat that way cause you feel like you have more control. But seriously will I lose the same as someone who isnt eating 6 pieces of bread a day? I didnt eat 6 pieces of bread, IM just using it as an example.:eek:

Luv2Eat 01-15-2013 08:48 PM

That's a very good question, I've wondered this often myself. Hopefully, somebody who has experimented with this will chime in.

hot-in-texas 01-15-2013 09:23 PM

Somewhere on one of these threads someone said you WILL lose faster if you do low carbs/ JUDDD but you will still lose if you eat the carbs, it will just be a little slower. I think in have seen several people say this actually. But many of them said they started out low carb but quickly changed their mind because they were losing either way. I personally am doing less carbs than I would have before I started trying to lose weight, but not as low as when I was doing Atkihs. For example,i don't worry about stuff like carbs in tomato sauce or veggies, and I do eat small portions of dessert on my UDs :D
Good luck on however you decide to do it. :)

LoCarbGal 01-15-2013 09:35 PM

My firm belief is that we are all different and lose differently on different foods. Some never get along with low carb, but others thrive on it. If you find you lose well (or did, up to a point) you may find you lose faster on LC JUDDD.

That said, if you lose well on JUDDD eating carbs, then by all means, don't worry about carbs and eat how you want to eat, within your calories. You may be one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to restrict, and whose hungry monster doesn't get triggered by carbs.

Then again, you may find there are just specific foods that trigger eating, and stall you losses. You'll really just have to experiment and pay close attention to what your body does with different foods.

Personally, my body feels better when I restrict sugar and white carbs (flour, rice). I'm reserving judgement now on potatoes because I've been including them lately and not having any ill effects. Plus I lose well on lower carbs. I really try to keep my DDs LC and even HF when I can. I'm more relaxed on UDs, but still trying to keep carbs moderated.

I hope this helps!

JayLynn 01-15-2013 09:43 PM

I think it is an individual thing. Some bodies have no problem with carbs and some do. For me, staying fairly LC keeps me from overeating and going over my calories. I tried having a few "simple" carbs like bread here and there on UD's but bread, sugar, processed food, and even too much fruit, among other things, leaves me wanting more and having a hard time stopping when I should.

But there are a lot of us who don't have this reaction to carbs and can eat amounts that don't send them over the limits. I imagine these are the folks who can eat a little and stop.

So, it might take some trial and error and experimentation to learn if you can eat six sandwiches a day, for example, and still lose. There are a lot of variables here and I don't think there is one simple answer.

zagnut 01-15-2013 09:57 PM

I do LC and JUDDD but don't know if someone would lose faster either way or not. I'm one of those that do it because I like it and it makes me feel better. I have upped my carbs a bit by adding more veggies and oatmeal since JUDDD.
One reason LC "might" help is appetite control. The higher fat makes you less hungry so you don't eat as much, but then when you are counting calories, eating higher fat really takes those numbers up there pretty quick.
In other words, I don't have an answer, either lol

Carly 01-16-2013 03:15 AM

I did not lose faster when low carb juddding. I also did not feel better when low carb juddding. Everyone is different and if carbs tend to make someone binge and they don't binge when low carb I guess they would lose faster.

sunday 01-16-2013 06:00 AM

I truly believe that you can be moderate to higher carb and lose well as you did on low carb if you remain in your calories with nutritious carbs. I have added back starchy veggies, more fruit, and other higher carb vegetables and haven't noticed any issues. I am one who doesn't do well with sugar, bread, or wheat due to hunger, so I try not to include this.

I also cycle carbs. For instance, I throw in a very low carb DD each week, to give me a change and shake up the flow.

brewstate 01-16-2013 06:03 AM

I will admit I am not technically low carbing on JUDDD right now although in the back of my mind I always want to get back there because feel healthier when I do (having to add an array of dark green veggies instead of just having peas and corn etc). I think the reason some people do low carb on juddd is probably related to the fact that insulin does lay fat and and cause all sorts of problems for the insulin resistant.

I have guessed that one reason it doesn't harm us with JUDDD is that we are only doing it every other day at worst and hopefully that day is not filled with nothing but white sugar and flour. The next day its pretty hard to squeeze in too much insulin raising food because of calories themselves. So in the long run I don't really think it matters too much for weight loss since JUDDD by nature helps with insulin.

However on the other side, there are numerous reasons to stay lower to moderate carb anyway (not necessarily adkins). In fact, I just read an article in reader's digest that scientists think Alzheimer's is actually a form of diabetes, causing insulin resistance in the brain (they are calling it diabetes type 3). Too much insulin attacks the brain and basically overstimulates it and eventually shuts down many of its functions, including memory. They went so far as to inject diabetic cells (or something having to do with only insulin) into a rat's brain and created the same lesions seen in Alzheimer's. Its made me really question whether I should go back to a low glycemic diet.

However, that is for each of us to answer individually. Sorry I rambled. I hope this helped a little though.

As a side note (since I haven't said enough :) ) I do fine on potatoes, oats, veggies, fruit, etc, but if I start my UD out by eating a lot of bread or sugar, its going to be an UUAD as it really messes with my cravings. That might be another reason that lc juddd helps some.

sunday 01-16-2013 06:08 AM

Elise, Thank you! I will look for that article. I had heard about this as well and think that maybe the reason EVCO is so therapeutic for alzheimer's patients is that it is ketogenic inducing. One more good reason to keep evco or mct's in your diet.

brewstate 01-16-2013 06:16 AM

I thought it was really interesting Sunday! I had never heard that before and it really got me thinking. It was in the latest edition and the picture on the cover is of a woman who had lost down to a size six with their personalized diet. HTH

KeirasMom 01-16-2013 06:18 AM

I eat anything and everything and have lost very well with JUDDD. I honestly rarely even think about carbs at all. I'm probably not the best example of "healthy" eating, as I eat out more meals than I make. :o That being said, I've always respected my calorie limits, and had good rotations, and have lost over 100 pounds with JUDDD, even eating fast food nearly every day. :dunno:

sunday 01-16-2013 06:18 AM

From New Scientist~

Quote:

Scientists have known for a while that insulin regulates blood sugar, "giving the cue for muscles, liver and fat cells to extract sugar from the blood and either use it for energy or store it as fat," New Scientist reports. Trouble begins when our muscle, fat, and liver cells stop responding properly to insulin—that is, they stop taking in glucose. This condition, known as insulin resistance and also pre-diabetes, causes the pancreas to produce excess amounts of insulin even as excess glucose builds up in the blood. Type 2 diabetes, in essence, is the chronic condition of excess blood glucose—its symptoms include frequent bladder, kidney, and skin infections, fatigue, excess hunger, and erectile dysfunction.

Here in the US, Type 2 diabetes rates have tripled since 1980, New Scientist reports.

What's emerging, the magazine shows, is that insulin "also regulates neurotransmitters, like acetylcholine, which are crucial for memory and learning." That's not all: "And it is important for the function and growth of blood vessels, which supply the brain with oxygen and glucose. As a result, reducing the level of insulin in the brain can immediately impair cognition."

So when people develop insulin resistance, New Scientist reports, insulin spikes "begin to overwhelm the brain, which can't constantly be on high alert," And then bad things happen: "Either alongside the other changes associated with type 2 diabetes, or separately, the brain may then begin to turn down its insulin signalling, impairing your ability to think and form memories before leading to permanent neural damage"—and eventually, Alzheimer's.
From Psychology Today~

Quote:

Is Alzheimer's disease increasing? Yes, absolutely. Wouldn't it be nice if we could do something about it? The National Institutes of Health convened a panel in early 2010 and determined there is no reliable way to prevent Alzheimer's. One interestng fact must be considered - Staffan Lindeberg found no evidence of dementia or anyone who knew anyone with symptoms of dementia on the island of Kitava, who eat a paleolithic-style diet with starchy tubers, coconuts, fish, and no modern industrial foods, wheat, vegetable oil, or dairy.

sunday 01-16-2013 06:33 AM

Elise, I think the other important factor is that so many of us who never had weight issues until now, are in fact, pre-diabetic and/or insulin resistant. I was never so shocked when I went in for a physical in 08 to find out that my blood results were showing that I had slipped into this pre-diabetic stage. I was devastated and it helped propel me to get healthy.

Dawn is my hero. I wish I could eat like her. :up:

deedee 01-16-2013 06:52 AM

I'm a diagnosed diabetic ("failed" a glucose tolerance test) but have been so far from lc on JUDDD and I'm still losing nicely. Not super fast, but not that slow either. I think Gary Taubes thinks people with IR issues have trouble losing weight if they are eating carbs/having blood sugar spikes, but that hasn't been my experience on JUDDD. I think everyone is different though.

mom23kids 01-16-2013 07:15 AM

For me personally carbs don't seem to matter a whole lot. When I eat a lot of them on an UD I do get that bloated stomach look :p But, it doesn't affect the scale, and after a good DD the bloat is gone. Also, like someone else said, by default most of our DDs are going to be lower carb anyways. Today for example I'm doing an egg/fat DD and my carb intake will be close to zero. That may help to balance things out :confused:

Lyric's Mom 01-16-2013 07:40 AM

Like others have said, I'm sure it's an individual thing since people's sensitivities to certain foods vary. I am one that eats fast food, breads, and sweets on every up day. TONS of carbs and I still lost. I'm now able to maintain while only doing two down days a week so carbs are not a hindrance for me. I really should work on eating better though, not for weight loss but for better health.

Debrat3 01-16-2013 08:16 AM

Thanks guys I knew you would all bring some light on this. I dont low carb on UD's but on DD it just turns out that way. One reason Judd is so awesome is because I got so tired of low carb and found myself losing weight but the feeling of being deprived would do me in. Then I would go back lc and it was just a vicious cycle. The beauty of Judd I can do both and have the best of both worlds!!!:)

angie1 01-16-2013 08:25 AM

This is definitely an individual thing. The only reason I do low-er carb with JUDDD is because if I overdue it on the carbs on UD, my sugar/carb monster comes out and I cannot stick to my calorie allotment.
When I am eating low carb, my blood sugar remains stable and I feel healthier and am able to stick to my calorie allotment easier. As well, the weight bounces are not as crazy when doing low-carb.

gotsomeold 01-16-2013 08:43 AM

When I was losing I tested what happened when I ate moderate LC (lots of veggies, no refined carbs or sweets) and when I ate whatever carbs I wanted. As long as the calories were about the same, I lost at exactly the same rate either way.

But (and this is just me) I found I bloat and get acid reflux when I eat some breads or - who woulda thunk it - potatoes. Like so many, I feel better when I keep an eye on what carbs I eat.

I am preparing to test rice and see if it causes similar discomforts.

KeirasMom 01-16-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16199206)
When I was losing I tested what happened when I ate moderate LC (lots of veggies, no refined carbs or sweets) and when I ate whatever carbs I wanted. As long as the calories were about the same, I lost at exactly the same rate either way.

But (and this is just me) I found I bloat and get acid reflux when I eat some breads or - who woulda thunk it - potatoes. Like so many, I feel better when I keep an eye on what carbs I eat.

I am preparing to test rice and see if it causes similar discomforts.

Nancy, have you tried quinoa? I'm loving it lately, and it's a seed rather than a grain, but it tastes really similar to brown rice to me. It's so good!

brewstate 01-16-2013 09:09 AM

Nancy got me thinking...What affects one really will not affect another. My mother and sister have always been very wheat sensitive and finally both became gluten free. Gluten does not affect me in the least and I do love bread on occasion (I am a certified SUGAR monster though). However, after 4 years of low carb and then finally discovering the freedom of JUDDD, my 7 year old son has developed severe behavioral issues to gluten (the words stark raving lunatic and daily threats of suicide come to mind) so it looks like we're going to be a gluten free family from now on :cry:. Of course we only discovered it after I stopped low carbing and started filling the house with sugar/gluten goodies. The point is, if a food or group of foods is a trigger or mild allergy, you should probably already know it or will know it soon.

Zib 01-16-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debrat3 (Post 16199116)
Thanks guys I knew you would all bring some light on this. I dont low carb on UD's but on DD it just turns out that way. One reason Judd is so awesome is because I got so tired of low carb and found myself losing weight but the feeling of being deprived would do me in. Then I would go back lc and it was just a vicious cycle. The beauty of Judd I can do both and have the best of both worlds!!!:)

This is me as well. I tend to eat LC on down days simply because a pile of greens or veggies with some protein is an easy way to keep cals down and food volume up.

Not worrying on up days keeps my OH happy as he can make his breakfast potatoes, pasta dinners, panini lunches, and eating out is no issue. Left to my own choices, I tend to have whole grains, gluten-free treats, and dark chocolate on up days.

BaileysGirl 01-16-2013 10:07 AM

Hi! WHAT IS THE UUAD??

I want to do JUDDD LC but to start I am not. I want to get past the headachy down days and get my body used to rotation then take a stab at incoroprating low carb 75% of the time on JUDDD. I feel much better when I'm off of carbs. I have much less indigestion/acid reflux, GAS, "yucky throat" (as I call it). I also feel much less bloated. I do however LOVE carbs...It's a lifelong battle but I hope someday with the use of JUDDD I can learn how to eat to maintain and enjoy life at the same time!

jaymar 01-16-2013 10:09 AM

I really like quinoa too...I use it in chicken.,stock, and veggies to make a really good chicken soup...I have had it for breakfast with sweetner and cream, also.

sunday 01-16-2013 10:13 AM

It is true that every individual will have different results. I still have dark chocolate and know exactly how much is allowed. I do wish that and would love to be able to have bread as well.

DH is sugar addicted and his mother was as well. I can't seem to convince him to try JUDDD, but the one thing that may counteract his daily cookie/ice cream habit is that he naturally restricts every day. I have never known any man in my life that ate like a bird, except for him. Saves a lot of money too. :)

mom23kids 01-16-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaileysGirl (Post 16199406)
Hi! WHAT IS THE UUAD??

I want to do JUDDD LC but to start I am not. I want to get past the headachy down days and get my body used to rotation then take a stab at incoroprating low carb 75% of the time on JUDDD. I feel much better when I'm off of carbs. I have much less indigestion/acid reflux, GAS, "yucky throat" (as I call it). I also feel much less bloated. I do however LOVE carbs...It's a lifelong battle but I hope someday with the use of JUDDD I can learn how to eat to maintain and enjoy life at the same time!

UUAD-Up, UP, and Away Day ie free for all eating bonanza :laugh: