Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Question for Low Carbers (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/794442-question-low-carbers.html)

JayLynn 01-14-2013 11:46 AM

Question for Low Carbers

I know this has been discussed before, but since there are so many of us who realize we have to stick pretty low carb to stay on plan, I thought I'd refresh the subject and get some new ideas.

What foods do you have on hand that keep you satisfied and on plan?

Do you eat many veggies?

What is your favorite low carb meal?

I always have chicken broth and tomato juice, especially for DD's. They kill the hunger beast and keep my calories low on DD's. I also have sunflower seeds, walnuts, almonds on hand, but try and eat them on UD's only.

I try and eat a lot of LC veggies. They are filling and full of nutrients. I have celery and cucumbers and radishes to snack on. Sometimes with an LC dip.

My favorite LC meal is breakfast: veggie omelet with cheese, spinach, tomato, and mushroom and bacon or sausage. Sometimes I add a flax muffin with SF jam. On DD's I limit it to one boiled egg and one turkey sausage or bacon.

So what works for you? Do you have LC favorites that you find help you lose weight and stay on track?

svenskamae 01-14-2013 03:04 PM

Down days, I eat some items from the following low carb choices so far:
Coffee with half and half (always)
Babybel mini light cheese or measured ounce of other light cheese
Chicken or turkey, no skin, usually salvaged from bones used to make broth
Cup of bone broth
Hard-boiled egg
Small salad, no dressing
4 oz. boiled shrimp
Crunchy raw vegetables (radishes are a favorite, also raw sugar snap peas)
LOTS of fluids (mostly water, lemon water, green tea, and occasionally V-8 juice)

Up days, I eat HWC in coffee for breakfast and add avocado, big salads with generous full-fat dressing, high-fat cheeses, recipes made with cream (such as creamed spinach), chicken iver pate made with lots of butter (on flax crackers), salmon roe with sour cream, dips made with cheese/cream cheese and raw veggies.

I'm doing the nutritional ketosis approach, which means I limit carbs and protein grams (under 30 net carbs, under 60 protein grams), so most of my upday calories come from fat. I posted a lot of lowcarb/highfat/moderate protein recipes on this thread:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/re...n-recipes.html

Planning meals would be much easier if I didn't need to limit protein as well as carbs, but limiting both appears to be the only way I can lose weight (beyond a pound every month or two).

I have a lot of lowcarb vegetable and salad recipes; let me know if you'd like some more or have some to share. I'm always on the lookout for high fat veggie salads and "side dishes" that I can eat for a meal instead of a big bunch of protein. I don't cook with prepared food or sweeteners, but I know that's a YMMV thing.

sunday 01-14-2013 03:34 PM

I eat pretty much the same as Sven, I don't eat cheese on DD. Add to her list green beans, kale, spinach, tomatoes, sweet tater, yukon gold, and squash.
My protein on DD is shrimp, tilapia, turkey or eggs. Drink lots of water, tea, & kombucha too. ;)

JayLynn 01-14-2013 04:03 PM

Svens and Sunday....thanks for the great ideas! I know that high fat/good fats is the way for me too. I'm just not always sure how to do HF keeping protein low and carbs at their lowest. I keep learning though, from great buddds like you! :hugs::shake::hugs:

jaymar 01-14-2013 05:42 PM

I have to learn more about the good fats..I need to add more things like avocado and other things..I'm watching Biggest Loser and feeling so darn bad for those people...they are working their butts off, struggling, and eating what they are given..I feel so blessed to have found Juddd...even if I do make some variations, and do some one food days...it has been so much easier than what I see those people going thru..also, they have to fight the desire to eat most things that they really like...and here, we have the chance , every other day, to satisfy ourselves with foods we like...and my weight loss numbers for the first two months would blow any of BL numbers out of the water...sorry, I just can't help but feel bad that so many people don't know how to let their bodies take care of the weight problems...when metabolism gets messed up it's soo hard to lose any weight...the Juddd/IMF programs help to let our bodies fix themselves, I think...we are so blessed..I could not run it off..sweat it off , or starve it off..and that's the case with a lot of people.

JayLynn 01-14-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymar (Post 16195717)
I have to learn more about the good fats..I need to add more things like avocado and other things..I'm watching Biggest Loser and feeling so darn bad for those people...they are working their butts off, struggling, and eating what they are given..I feel so blessed to have found Juddd...even if I do make some variations, and do some one food days...it has been so much easier than what I see those people going thru..also, they have to fight the desire to eat most things that they really like...and here, we have the chance , every other day, to satisfy ourselves with foods we like...and my weight loss numbers for the first two months would blow any of BL numbers out of the water...sorry, I just can't help but feel bad that so many people don't know how to let their bodies take care of the weight problems...when metabolism gets messed up it's soo hard to lose any weight...the Juddd/IMF programs help to let our bodies fix themselves, I think...we are so blessed..I could not run it off..sweat it off , or starve it off..and that's the case with a lot of people.

Oh I know! I could never do the Biggest Loser! I'd be insane by the end of the first day. They make them eat next to nothing and then they do exercises all day that I think would probably kill me! I agree, give me my JUDDD and I'll lose the weight, get healthier and not have to kill myself doing it.

gotsomeold 01-15-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymar (Post 16195717)
... so many people don't know how to let their bodies take care of the weight problems...when metabolism gets messed up it's soo hard to lose any weight...the Juddd/IMF programs help to let our bodies fix themselves, I think...we are so blessed..I could not run it off..sweat it off , or starve it off..and that's the case with a lot of people.

Amen!

Becky 01-15-2013 05:18 AM

Favorite low carb meal, taco salad, minus the taco shell. I also love scrambled eggs with cheese, sausage and a little onion but have to keep that to only twice a week or I get sick of it rapidly.

JayLynn 01-15-2013 05:26 AM

Hi Becky, I like to make Taco Salad too. Its so easy to make and you can put lots of good stuff in it. I make "chips" out of cheese...put a few slices of sharp cheddar in the microwave and let them get all crispy. sometimes make bigger ones for taco shells, but that gets kinda messy...LOL

Becky 01-15-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayLynn (Post 16196281)
Hi Becky, I like to make Taco Salad too. Its so easy to make and you can put lots of good stuff in it. I make "chips" out of cheese...put a few slices of sharp cheddar in the microwave and let them get all crispy. sometimes make bigger ones for taco shells, but that gets kinda messy...LOL

I've done chips out of parmesan cheese sprinkled on a hot non-stick pan then flip after 30 seconds or so...YUM!! I am soooo going to try your cheese idea, that sounds like it would be great!

svenskamae 01-15-2013 10:58 AM

I put thin pepperoni slices on paper towels in the microwave for 1 minute to make another satisfyingly crunchy "chip."

JayLynn 01-15-2013 12:15 PM

yeah, replacing chips with microwaved cheese and pepperoni is a great LC substitute. I haven't had them as much now on JUDDD, but I think I'll start again.

On UD's I was having a few regular chips when I wanted, but its way too soon to eat that kind of stuff for me. I've learned that lesson! :doh:

Oh and I used to eat pork rinds for the crunch, but don't really like them anymore. I do use them for fillers, like in meatloaf, and also make a decent pizza crust using them. maybe I'll fix a LC pizza tomorrow.

melisa82 01-15-2013 12:20 PM

Some of my fav meals:

Taco Salad w/Ground Beef, Salsa, Avocado, Cheese, Black Olives and Sour Cream

Shredded Beef w/Melted Cheese and Avocado/Sour Cream

Eggs w/Cheese and Veggies

Cubed Chicken Sauted w/ Cabbage and Laughing Cow Cheese (Just tried this for yesterday's DD and it was greeeat!)

Hard Salami Rolled Around Some Cream Cheese and Pickle Spears

Becky 01-15-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenskamae (Post 16197189)
I put thin pepperoni slices on paper towels in the microwave for 1 minute to make another satisfyingly crunchy "chip."

We dunk them in sour cream! :up:

JayLynn 01-15-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melisa82 (Post 16197381)
Some of my fav meals:

Taco Salad w/Ground Beef, Salsa, Avocado, Cheese, Black Olives and Sour Cream

Shredded Beef w/Melted Cheese and Avocado/Sour Cream

Eggs w/Cheese and Veggies

Cubed Chicken Sauted w/ Cabbage and Laughing Cow Cheese (Just tried this for yesterday's DD and it was greeeat!)

Hard Salami Rolled Around Some Cream Cheese and Pickle Spears

Thanks Melisa! some great ideas. I've been meaning to try the chicken/cabbage/cheese dish. Glad to hear you liked it!